StudentsReview :: Evergreen State College - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Hampshire College -- Amherst, MA
Western Washington University -- Bellingham, WA

Evergreen State College

I grew up in the Olympia area andSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I grew up in the Olympia area and my mother actually went to this school in the 1970's,but, that being said...run. Far,far away from this place as it sucks badly. The campus,being small, like others have said means that you are going to run into people that you know from other classes,but,that does mean you are going to friends either. As someone that is her mid-40's the idealism of this school and its rather stupid politically correct way of seeing things is not how the world really works. Nor does it prepare you properly for the workforce unless you happen to be doing things related to ecology,politics or something similar. For myself, as a history major, unless you pick your classes wisely you are well and truly screwed since there is not much on offer for history. Nothing for World War II,which is what I study.

Unless, you do a self study which has to be approved both the Dean of Students AND a sponsoring professor. For me, that was the only way to get anything out of this crazy school as I NEED to have a certain amount upper division history credits for grad school.

The evaluations are another thing that I find to be annoying as I loathe writing about something that should be plain as day as to what I have learned on a transcript. Further, the grad schools I have applied to,you need a decoder ring in the form of someone in admissions to translate it for you. That person will become your new best friend for your applications. Most grad schools do not,that I have applied to, do not even read all this busy work that is evals.

I came here because it was cheap and I was expecting something different. However, I should have listened to what we locals have known for decades...if you want a real education,go somewhere else. If you want to sit on your duff and talk all day then this place is for you.

Pros:
Self study. If need to do credits for post-grad work unrelated to what is on offer then this is the way to do it.

Professors. They do make themselves available.
Small campus and classes. Nice if you are wanting to get away from a big campus,big classes with more personalized attention.

Cons:
Activities. There are none of the traditional ones as this school believes in the everyone must be included idea. If you like to sing,which I do, stick with a band or church as the choir sucks.

Locations:
It's 60 miles to Seattle if you want to see something besides the Art Walk twice a year. Olympia is boring as hell. I know,I was raised there.

Lack of proper classes. I say this because most of these classes will NOT help you if you have a specialized major in particular,history. Seems they have an allergic reaction to history.

Library. It sucks as well. Use the inter-library loan resources if you want or need something as lot of the books are severely out of date to say nothing of the computers.

I will heartily glad when I am out of here in a year and in grad school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F
This is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE 'school'.Super BrilliantPolitical Science
This is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE 'school'.
Everyone I have met smokes pot, all the students are dumbasses and the faculty are throughly useless.

I came to this school because I thought it would put an emphasis on discussion as opposed the lecture and I liked that idea. I can learn a lot from discussion. The problem is that most students have nothing to contribute to discussions. Most of them are at a 5th grade reading level. They can't think critically, AND THEY WILL STILL GET A DEGREE.

Every single moron who gets a degree at this college lowers the value of an evergreen degree.
I also came here because I liked the emphasis on interdisciplinary study. I thought I could study political science and have that be bolstered by other subjects. Instead, the faculty just teach everything at a subpar level, because they can get away with it under the label of "interdisciplinary".

Overall, You are a moron if you decide to go to this college.
For a more in-depth description of classes at Evergreen, look at my blog:

evergreenpolisci.blogspot.comI had to write a blog to keep me sane. It was the only thing that allowed be to get through the year.

1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Surrounding City: A, Education Quality: F
Unless you smoke pot and are very comfortableAverageOther
Unless you smoke pot and are very comfortable with being around it, don't go here. I lived on campus for 3 weeks before leaving the school entirely, here is what I experienced. The housing reminded me of being at a camp not an academic institution. It was run down, moldy, and we had to call maintenance several times. The large sliding windows did not have locks, we were provided with wood boards to jam in to prevent them from opening from the outside. You know the mass emails that universities sends out? At evergreen people could reply all and thats how we all learned that there had been several rapes on campus. See this article: http://www.olyblog.net/threats-intimidation-and-rape-apologism-evergreen Also there were fliers put up telling people not to "snitch" that had baseball bats on them and we heard rumors of groups beating up said snitches. My roommate turned out to be dealing and so when trying to do homework, I was constantly bothered by strangers banging at the door for her services. Our neighbor was a former homeless meth addict. I met ZERO people that didn't smoke. I also hate the smell of pot, if you attend evergreen and are not a smoker, you will never escape that smell. I was looking for a unique learning experience but instead found an unsafe stoner school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013