StudentsReview ™ :: Highline Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Highline Community College

Campus is not safe, service with a snarl

Apr 18 2014Other
Campus is not safe, service with a snarl is common in the admin bldg, the food available to us is awful. In general I have not found staff helpful in the following ways: financial aid, degree counseling, and general student services. The wifi network on campus is running at 20th century speeds, not 21st and considering what I am paying for this "education", overall I do not feel I am getting value for my money. I have had great classes and very cool instructors, but overall am really underwhelmed with my overall experience. The lack of professionalism and generally dour demeanor of the admin bldg is the biggest turnoff. Going after an education is a big deal to me and most of the students, getting service from staff who appear to just want to be somewhere else, if they are not showing outward signs of hostility towards you, really dampens the experience. Highline is like a movie with an interesting script, big name stars lined up and a top notch director, but somehow the end product is less than satisfying. Like eating marshmallows or Wonder Bread. One nice thing to say, it's a beautiful campus with drop-dead views. There are a few faculty members who are in the right place and are very helpful, they are what sustains me.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F

I have been here for a year now

Nov 26 2012Computer Engineering
I have been here for a year now and I am absolutely sick of this college. I can't wait to transfer and am doing so early, choosing to skip an AS altogether. Service at the school is horrible, campus safety is questionable, and, personally, half the courses I have taken here have been shoddy at best. Every month there is a violent incident or something that requires the police but all the campus officers say is that they will "step up patrols." As a security officer myself, I know that is crap and nothing continues to be done. Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B-, University Resource Use: F

I keep hearing that Highline has "top-notch" professors

Nov 01 2012Computer Science
I keep hearing that Highline has "top-notch" professors but I have yet to see them. Teachers at this school are either average or horrible and a lot of what I've learned has had to be on my own. Don't get a friendly teacher confused with a top-notch teacher, because they are not the same. Go to this school if you enjoy a challenge and want to teach yourself while paying the extra money.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014