StudentsReview :: Shoreline Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Shoreline Community College

1) book supplies: some profs will require youNot so brightComputer Science
1) book supplies: some profs will require you to buy textbooks with codes, only to use it for two weeks and never touch it again, so you can return the textbook at 1/4 of its original value. If you want any school supplies, order them off Amazon, I don't care what your beef is with Amazon corp, but this school will price gouge the shit out of you for the access of convenience.

2) cafeteria: meh, overpriced burnt low-quality coffee, sandwhiches/burritos and snacks. save money and BYOF unless you're a rich international asian kid, then feast upon the cafeteria's fine selection while smiling at us, peasants.

3) parking: roughly 50$ per qtr/200 per year, no guaranteed spots. finding spots was a disaster before the campus housing was erected, now it's almost impossible during the hours you need. seers parking is terrible, late shuttles and getting cut off in line by apathetic international students. Security at seers is almost none existent to don't leave anything, note: I didn't say 'anything of value', I mean ANYTHING, your car will get broken into like mine has, and no security is available at seers.

4) low quality education: its a quarter system, so you can already tell the quality of education is going to be poor. it's good if you want to get rid of classes and GE's before transferring, saves you time and "money"(relatively speaking) but to advanced concepts, this school is a joke because fields of STEM will essentially suffer, these concepts need time to be absorbed and time is something you're not given in this school, if you miss one day for any reason outside of your control, you're SOL.

P.S. i've met many bright students who are very intelligent but this school has broken their spirit and they gave up college. The speed in which this school teaches(if you take full time) will rob you of your hobbies, social life, personal activities and personal fitness, so i do not blame them for leaving this school.

5) the SJW brainwashing agenda, some professors like unnamed EJ, harbor a weird cultish indoctrination classroom environment where dissent isn't allowed and only his worldview is right and everyone else who doesn't view the same is either "the enemy", "not an ally", "a bystander, therefore an enemy", and is "internalizing/normalizing racism".(primarily targetted to conservatives but not exclusive of classical liberals/libertarians)

It really doesn't matter where you align in your political spectrum, everyone should be welcomed, the diversity of ideas should be welcomed. The censorship of ideas and dividing/demonizing/otherizing people into class groups to tear each other apart devalues productive conversation and reduces away from the overall intelligencia. Also, contributing to the fracturing of the political landscape.

2nd Year Male -- Class 1924
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: F
There were several professors that did an excellentOther
There were several professors that did an excellent job, but when the professors were bad...they were really bad. Unfortunately, SCC is an example of how downhill community colleges have gone in recent years. While I was at SCC I experienced a lockdown because of a loose fugitive, a moldy roof leak on my head, discrimination from school staff, a stoned professor with munchies in class, and watched a professor have a nervous breakdown right in front of the class. There are worse schools, but SCC has a lot of problems. Would I recommend this school to anyone? No. When I was at a business meeting once for the school, the then president stood up in front of student parliament, staff, and students. He proceeded to tell us why SCC was not the best community college, so I would not be tempted to tell you that it is based upon my experience and that former president's expert opinion. I transferred out as quick as I could.
The fiscal specialist, I don't know whether sheBrightEngineering Department
The fiscal specialist, I don't know whether she intentionally did so or not, lied to my face. This schơol isn't fit for engineer majors. Ask the majority of them, and you'll get the right answer. Anyhow, back to the lying. Since I knew this school wasn't a fit for me over 12 months ago, I asked the fiscal specialist whether my scholarship money could be transferred to a different institution, I asked her that three times, and she told me "no". Finally when I'm down and out of nearly the scholarship money and the gpa isn't so great, she then tells me it is transferable. Talk about conning a customer/student. My advice, if you want to deal with an honest financial department, don't go here, and if you are an engineer major, please, for your sake, DO NOT GO HERE. You will feel chewed up and spat out. I am angry I did not do thorough research on the professors and colleges before even setting foot on this campus.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014