StudentsReview :: Alverno College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alverno College

I have so many things to complain about,Quite BrightEducation
I have so many things to complain about, so I will try to keep this brief and cut out several terrible stories.

My high school years weren't the best with what potential I truly have, but I discovered I have ADD and gathered myself together for college to prove I can be a good student. I got into Alverno with a terrible high school transcript, and it definitely shows. I realize now I wasn't a special case. When they say that Alverno gives those who won't get into another school a chance at education, they're serious. A lot of the girls here are close-minded and well, stupid. I can't carry a single intelligent conversation. Also, everyone seems to hate men. There is so much hate and unnecessary amounts of feminism that I just wanted to run off the campus screaming my head off. When they talk about how "great" Alverno is, so many things are repeated over and over, and they just bounce off each other like they're programmed. I swear they like it here just because it's the only place they can get a degree.

All they're concerned about is drama between each other and you can definitely tell the complete lack of social life here is driving the few who actually live in the dorms crazy. Because I live seven hours away, I'm always stuck here in a dead zone of a college without anyone to talk to. I could walk around the campus for a half hour and not run into anyone, you'd think it was always winter break.

As for the classes, I've never been so disappointed. All they care about it being different, and that doesn't mean better. They even call everything a different name. They're not professors, they're instructors. It's not a midterm, it's a mid-semester assessment. Yeah, what?

Regarding the no grades issue, it's not a good thing. I never know how I'm doing in a class. Sure, they say you get all this feedback and help with your instructors but really... it's probably the same amount, even less, of help than another small college. Ask for help. It's not unique to only Alverno.

This place is obsessed with group work. That isn't real-world application... that's mooching off of others for credit. If I express any complaint about group work I'm told I obviously don't work well with others.

The students here aren't interested in making friends. Everyone has somewhere to go and you're just another kid because actually, a lot of the people here are years older. It's like the majority are here because this is their second or third or even fourth chance at getting a degree.

The levels you have to obtain are just plain creepy. I had to do a self-assessment of my entrance assessment, but it was the weirdest thing ever. Basically, if I agreed with the "assessor" (yeah..) that I either did well or poorly on something in my assesment, I passed. It didn't matter how smart I am about English grammar. All that mattered was that I agreed with her. Therefore, I was told I completed the level of communication. I just stared at her.I really really advise against going to Alverno. My freshman year went to waste there and I ultimately transfered to Winona State University, where I'm much happier! But hey... If you're a 25 year old single mother of two who's failed at three other colleges, hate men more than anything else, don't value your education, and are looking to commute... then baby, this is the place for you!

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I loved Alverno!AverageHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I loved Alverno! I am a recent grad who transfered in. There are some good and bad things about Alverno, but mostly good. There are no formal grades, so you are not working towards a letter, but beware, it is not an easy school. Faculty is wonderful in offering help, they make it harder for students to fail than to pass. It is an all-woman college, but there are guys around. There is a new president at the school and she seems intent on getting rid of the nuns, so I don't know where that will go. Also, watch out for financial aid. If you do not have kids or are not dirt poor, they will not help you find any decent financial aid. That being said, Alverno is a great investment.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+
Quite BrightEnglish
Each course in Alverno's ability-based learning system develops each student as a whole person.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009