StudentsReview :: Alverno College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alverno College

I love my school.Not so brightArt & Design Department
I love my school. It is hard to adjust to Alverno's 8 abilities Pass Fail system and their intense feedback but in the long run you will look back on those semesters where you were all over the place and wonder "WOW! have I grown since then. I can't believe that was me." Bad about Alverno- well because we are a small school our our money flow can be a bit tight and that tends to show in the small departments we have. However there are so many things good about this school. Teachers will push you till you get things right because they want you to pass. You might not see it that way at first but if you go to a college with grades they will just look at your homework and if you failed an assignment you failed it no chance at making it up. compared to hear you will correct it till you get it right. There is a place for everyone here. Alverno likes to integrate traditions from different cultures into the culture on campus. For example we celebrate Day of The Dead and we have alters up around campus for people to enjoy and honor. People think we are a conservation college and that we are the typical old school christian college but we are very liberal actually. Advice- Well my first advice would be to grow some thick skin because it will come in handy with all the self assessing you have to do and all the feedback you will get. You will be hurt but when going here you have to make the move to make yourself a stronger and better individual. That alone is what makes us different.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B-
I went to two BIG universities before ISuper BrilliantPolitical Science
I went to two BIG universities before I came here and as an intelligent woman, I didn't find myself challenged--I was bored. At Alverno, your education is what you make of it. If you CHOOSE to be lazy and do only the minimum to get by, then you're most likely going to be bored and you'll probably hate it here. However, if you challenge yourself to learn all you can and get involved on campus, professors will treat you with respect and more non-campus opportunities will come your way. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I think I'm getting a better education here than I would at an Ivy League school--and I encourage anyone looking for a challenge and not simply to be handed a degree at the end of 4 years to apply to Alverno.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2006
Collaboration/Competitive: A, Extracurricular Activities: C
I attended the Lutheran Elementary and High schools.BrightCommunications
I attended the Lutheran Elementary and High schools. After experiencing a smaller class setting and was reasonably challenged. For college, I decided to attend the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee. I attended UWM for three semesters and felt that I was not challenged enough. I left UWM with a 3.4 GPA. I had heard the advertisements about Alverno and even spoke to a few people that had went there. I attended an open house and felt that going there I would be a part of a unique educational philosphy that would afford me an opporutnity to excel acadmically, intellecutally and in my career. I was wrong. I was originally a Professional Communication/English Literature double major with a minor in Education. My freshman year guidance counselor was annoying and incompentent. She discouraged me from completing my minor in education because it would take me twice as long to complete my degree so I dropped the minor in Education. Leaving UW-Milwaukee was the worst mistake of my life. I should have stayed. Alverno boasts of their 95% placement rate in their graduates field of study. That is a lie. I did not one but two internships relating to my major. Why have I only held jobs in customer service since 2002? Alverno is just a gimmick and does not live up to what it promises graduates. The instructors, especially the one I had for my Media class where we did a power point presentation, Meg Hunter is a pompous, backward and arrogant woman with no class only crass. She was the worst instructor there. My English professor, Sister Georgene once made a comment to me about my class peers. She taught an 8:00AM class on Shakesphere. My classmates as well as myself are African American. She made the comment to me that I needed to talk to my fellow African American classmates about the importance of being on time because when they are late, they perpetuate a stereotype that African Americans are always late. I reported her comment to Victoria Miller head of the English Department and she downplayed the commnets that Sister Georgene made. Saying that I simply misunderstood. When I emphatically replied that I did not misunderstand and that she said it the way she meant it, I got a reluctant, "I'll talk to her." During my freshman year, I had to take a career paths class that was taught by the now career director Debra Chomicka. She met with me to see who I would be interviewing for my career class in terms of professions I was interested in. She had suggested to me an African American law enforcment officer that worked with her husband who was employed by the Wisconsin Department of Justice. She said that Robin was African American and was a sharp girl. She went on to say that the man who worked with her husband previously was African American and was terminated from his position because he was using the state vehicle he was supplied with for personal errands. She then went on to make a comment about affirmative action, which I thought was very racist. I've only had relatively few positive experiences with instructors and my education there. I remember when I went to the open house, Debra Chomicka was one of the speakers and she said that if we made Alverno our choice we would recieve a good education and that it was guaranteed. Yes, it is guaranteed alright. I am stuck with $40,000 plus in loans for a degree from a college that is no use to me. Anyone considering Alverno, don't do it.
5th Year Female -- Class 1997