StudentsReview :: Alverno College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alverno College

ON CAMPUSNot so bright
ON CAMPUS
Collage it is what you make of it. Parents this is the stage in your child's life where they have to step up and learn to do for themselves. You will read bad reviews of this collage, but I will guarantee you it was from students who were AFFARAID to speak up and out or to participate.

There will forever be problems in dorms because almost everyone there is scared to fit in. So everyone stays aloof, till someone breaks the ice. This is EVERYWHERE! I myself was intimidated as I would have been anywhere. It took a deep breath and thinking to myself I have nothing to lose so, I started speaking up and talking to people. If I saw someone was sitting by themselves I would sit next to them and chit chat. I found out everyone felt like I did and you could tell they were thankful I reached out!

After this block was overcome I started joining some of the organizations. The wonderful thing about this school is they are trying to guide everyone to be a leader. If you don't like something about the school, try using your brain and keeping respect, you can change almost anything by the skills they teach. Bring it to their attention with some solutions you came up with, you will be pleasantly surprised at the response you get. They love it when student's step-up and try to address a problem they feel is at the school. It IS what you make of it and the ATTITUDE you have when you address it.

UWM VS ALVERNO
Ok now to the good stuff. I have been to UWM and I have a very bad test taking anxiety. At UWM I did not finish a bunch of their placement test which put me in classes I could have taught. My first semester, the English teacher told me I was going to have problems because I was advanced for the class. I asked for them to help me get in the right classes. They would not because UWM is about the money. They wanted me to pay my way to where I should be.

IN THE CLASSROOM
At Alverno they did not time me on the entrance exam. I did very well on the placement and I started at a higher class level then most students coming in. This school is hard work and you reap what you sow! There are a lot of group activities and I have read in the reviews on this website how people say they are left with a lot of extra work, I say bull. Just like in the REAL work world, if you don't like something, you should speak up or don't complain after the fact. That's the way of the world. There are educational resources everywhere at this school. The only way to fail is by your own demise. If the educational resources are not enough and you still need help they will give you a personal tutor at no extra cost.

In my chemistry class this last term everyone was doing poorly but not one student went to the extra office hours or the resource center. This chemistry teacher went out of her way to have everyone sign up to come to her office where she gave everyone a worksheet to see where they were one-on-one and help them. At the college level this is unheard of. There isn't one teacher I have had that was not approachable or didn't put in the extra time to help students THAT WANT TO BE HELPED. This school does not hand you your education but they will guild you through if you seek help.

I was very frustrated reading the reviews. Because I know a lot of students like the ones with the negative reviews, they are the students scared to participate. If you have or are a student who hangs in the shadows and just want to be known by your social security number go in the UW system. If you are shy and don't want to be, try Alverno they will teach you to lead but understand it will be tuff for you to break out of it at first. If you are already not afraid of taking life by the horns you will LOVE this school. Once you realize everyone is afraid and you're not, you will rule the school and graduate with honors and rule your work environment after graduation.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B
I loved Alverno!AverageHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I loved Alverno! I am a recent grad who transfered in. There are some good and bad things about Alverno, but mostly good. There are no formal grades, so you are not working towards a letter, but beware, it is not an easy school. Faculty is wonderful in offering help, they make it harder for students to fail than to pass. It is an all-woman college, but there are guys around. There is a new president at the school and she seems intent on getting rid of the nuns, so I don't know where that will go. Also, watch out for financial aid. If you do not have kids or are not dirt poor, they will not help you find any decent financial aid. That being said, Alverno is a great investment.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+
Quite BrightEnglish
Each course in Alverno's ability-based learning system develops each student as a whole person.
1st Year Female -- Class 2009