StudentsReview :: Alverno College - Comments and Student Experiences

Alverno College

People, be warn!! Do not go here ifAverageBiology
People, be warn!! Do not go here if you do not money. I went to Alverno to major in the nursing field, and most of the staffs were horrible. They talked on subjects that does not even deal with the tests. Then the Dean of nursing was a horrible person who told a lot of the students that they are not suited to be a nurse. Also, a lot of nursing students are sobs and think they are higher than any other students on the campus. The nursing field had gone bad. More than half of the class either drop, switch, or failed every semester due to their high expectation, which the professors lack of explaining.

Another thing is that this college is very money hungry even after you graduate. They will constantly send you mail asking a donation of $200 and up to help out with all these new stuff for the students. To be honest, they wasted a lot of the money on decorating the freaking campus than spending it on technology, art, science,etc. they only updated certain area of the campus (#cough# nursing ) They could save a lot of money having perennials flowers than buying annual flowers. They kept saying they are the cheapest private school in the US. If so, STOP INCREASING institution!!! People,if you plan to get a house but have a huge ass debt from this college. Just forget about it. All they will do is kept asking more money even after your done. The job you will have, it will not cover your daily expense. You will be paying your loan for a long time, like me.....

The good thing about this college after I switch my major to Biology, the teachers will make time to meet with you and explain to you about the different subjects, and they will tutor you. The biology professors understand the subjects and they tried their best to related to real life jobs. The business office understand about the money struggles you have, and they will help out with another scholarship or put you on a payment which you can afford, they also extend the payment plans. The internship office will try to help you find interns that pay or have scholarships that paid you while your on it. classes are small and they are a lot of group discussions and subjects. They teach you how to deal with people whom you strongly dislike in a nice mean way(trust me.....i rather work alone or work with guys than girls.) The library have electronic resources to do your research project, if not they are connected to other colleges to get the materials you need and they even paid for the research articles that will forever be in Alverno data space. they have classes for you to prepare for the advance college (to be honesty, most graduated college don't care as long you have the money)...... this college is not bad place to go to but be warn. they are money hungry and nursing students are sobs. if they stop increasing the amount of intuition, it might be okay school. however, would i come here again....NO!

5th Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
School here is just so-so.Quite BrightNursing
School here is just so-so. Not great. Be careful, advisors are very busy and tend not to get paperwork done in a timely fashion. Some are dishonest and will deny what they have said when they have made mistakes. Classes tend to have very arbitrary grading based on teachers opinion of students, and not on actual work. I am a postbach student returning for second degree and fear that there have been few improvements from previous experience here.
5th Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Scholastic Success: F
ON CAMPUSNot so bright
ON CAMPUS
Collage it is what you make of it. Parents this is the stage in your child's life where they have to step up and learn to do for themselves. You will read bad reviews of this collage, but I will guarantee you it was from students who were AFFARAID to speak up and out or to participate.

There will forever be problems in dorms because almost everyone there is scared to fit in. So everyone stays aloof, till someone breaks the ice. This is EVERYWHERE! I myself was intimidated as I would have been anywhere. It took a deep breath and thinking to myself I have nothing to lose so, I started speaking up and talking to people. If I saw someone was sitting by themselves I would sit next to them and chit chat. I found out everyone felt like I did and you could tell they were thankful I reached out!

After this block was overcome I started joining some of the organizations. The wonderful thing about this school is they are trying to guide everyone to be a leader. If you don't like something about the school, try using your brain and keeping respect, you can change almost anything by the skills they teach. Bring it to their attention with some solutions you came up with, you will be pleasantly surprised at the response you get. They love it when student's step-up and try to address a problem they feel is at the school. It IS what you make of it and the ATTITUDE you have when you address it.

UWM VS ALVERNO
Ok now to the good stuff. I have been to UWM and I have a very bad test taking anxiety. At UWM I did not finish a bunch of their placement test which put me in classes I could have taught. My first semester, the English teacher told me I was going to have problems because I was advanced for the class. I asked for them to help me get in the right classes. They would not because UWM is about the money. They wanted me to pay my way to where I should be.

IN THE CLASSROOM
At Alverno they did not time me on the entrance exam. I did very well on the placement and I started at a higher class level then most students coming in. This school is hard work and you reap what you sow! There are a lot of group activities and I have read in the reviews on this website how people say they are left with a lot of extra work, I say bull. Just like in the REAL work world, if you don't like something, you should speak up or don't complain after the fact. That's the way of the world. There are educational resources everywhere at this school. The only way to fail is by your own demise. If the educational resources are not enough and you still need help they will give you a personal tutor at no extra cost.

In my chemistry class this last term everyone was doing poorly but not one student went to the extra office hours or the resource center. This chemistry teacher went out of her way to have everyone sign up to come to her office where she gave everyone a worksheet to see where they were one-on-one and help them. At the college level this is unheard of. There isn't one teacher I have had that was not approachable or didn't put in the extra time to help students THAT WANT TO BE HELPED. This school does not hand you your education but they will guild you through if you seek help.

I was very frustrated reading the reviews. Because I know a lot of students like the ones with the negative reviews, they are the students scared to participate. If you have or are a student who hangs in the shadows and just want to be known by your social security number go in the UW system. If you are shy and don't want to be, try Alverno they will teach you to lead but understand it will be tuff for you to break out of it at first. If you are already not afraid of taking life by the horns you will LOVE this school. Once you realize everyone is afraid and you're not, you will rule the school and graduate with honors and rule your work environment after graduation.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014