StudentsReview :: Carthage College - Comments and Student Experiences

Carthage College

I fully regret my decision coming to Carthage.BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I fully regret my decision coming to Carthage. Never, in my lifetime, I thought I would meet people who thought it was ok to lie to kids & families making the biggest decision of their lives. I will provide you with some facts that will help you make your decision easier.

-Carthage's tuition is $48,835 and it goes up every year. You will not be locked in with the same tuition each year, you will be expected to pay more every year.

-Carthage requires you to live on campus for three years. This doesn't sound so bad, but it is. In the end, if you could live off campus, it would be half of the price than what Carthage charges. If you lived off campus, you also wouldn't have to deal with the terrible corrupt residence life. When the school was founded, they believed this would help kids graduate. The fact of the matter is that Carthage graduates 60%, this is considered below average for the quality of kids they bring in. So, there is a lie. The president was quoted, " We have the housing requirement to make more money." You wonder why? This is because room and board can not be covered by scholarships. So, room and board is straight cash to the school. There are also only two types of places to live in on campus, regular dorms or the Oaks. The Oaks allow you to have your own room, but it only fits you and none of your stuff. The Oaks is full of introverts. If you weren't an introvert before the Oaks, you will be after. Everyone sits in their room alone and watches tv or plays video games.

-My professors were not good. Yuri Maltsev is the only notable faculty. I had one of his classes and he was quoted," If you show up to class, you will at least get a B." He was hard to understand, because he is from Russia. The school also allows him to not have office hours and not respond to emails. This is because the school loves saying they have someone so popular. He did not add my assignment before the semesters end and I could not get a hold of him, so I got a zero. The fact of the matter was that I did not learn a single thing. The professors do not care about the students and will fail you. The problem with that is the professors will not allow you to succeed, they are not good at what they do and it is very hard to learn or figure out what to study.

-The Carthage student body does not have any positivity or school spirit. No one is proud of their school. If someone says they are proud, no one will believe them. I stuck up for this school for a year and tried to believe this was the right place and then I realized, why should I stick up for a school that has not given me anything in return. The admissions reps lied to me and the administration just cares about money.

-Athletics are a joke here. It is division III. The athletes act like they are about to be drafted. I have met division I athletes that are less arrogant. No teams are good, other than mens volleyball. They stick to their own team when they hang out and will look down on you if you're not in a sport. The school also illegally gives scholarships to athletes.

-The advisors used to be good, but in the last year, three of them left for better jobs. No one is paid well here, except the president, who acts as a politician.

-Believe none of the rankings they tell you. They will claim to have a good study abroad, but in the end, you will end up paying $20,000 and not have any credits transfer. You will most likely have to stay another year if you study abroad, they will not tell you this.

-Kenosha is also a sketchy city. In the first week, my friend had a gin pulled on him at the local Taco Bell.

-This schools endowment is a joke. I heard about a school that closed down and it had a larger endowment than Carthage.

-The fact of the matter is that Carthage is ranked #540 overall and charges more than schools in the top 25.

If your not getting a full ride, this school is a borderline scam. Every time I see a tour group on campus, I just start feeling bad. College is a lot of money. Parents work their entire life and save for this. Kids take major loans for this and in the end, the school is simply not worth anything. I will be transferring at the end of the year to a school that is a quarter of the cost, in the top 50, and graduates 85% of their students.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Individual Value: F
This is a great school if you endQuite BrightFinance
This is a great school if you end up in the right major. You're always going to have classes that suck and some where you cram and never need it again. But with the right faculty member with you, if you want to go far you really can. It took me two tries to get it right, but once I found Finance I knew I did. I have a great job and life now and I felt I had a lot more preparation than the rest of the new hires I joined with. Sure the general services could be improved so you feel like more than a lump when you walk up to a service window, and it doesn't have everything a big city does at night like Chicago, but Carthage does have a lot, and the professors who care really help you more than any I have heard of from my friends. My advice: find a friendly professor (there are a lot) in an area you like and work with them. You will get an education beyond what you can get almost anywhere else.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: C+
The campus is not safe for women or men.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The campus is not safe for women or men. Sexual assault in the fall. Violent attacks from football players, football players also robbed the campus and got away with about 350 computers plus other items from the school and students. They had keys to the dorms. I do not feel safe on campus and many of my females friends feel the same. The football team is out of control. Why does the college allow this type of people to be recruited at the school
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018