StudentsReview :: Carroll University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carroll University

Carroll is one of those schools that youBrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Carroll is one of those schools that you need to know what you want before you come into it. Unlike some other schools, Carroll throws you right into your major classes and you space out your gen eds over the four years. Carroll also has a cross-cultural program that makes you travel to a culturally different area of the US or to other countries. Because of the cross-cultural program it is really hard to transfer to Carroll as a Junior because that spring of you Junior year or the Fall of your Senior year you have to have finished your trip because there is another class that is required when you return to the US. I've heard a lot of people say that their credits from other colleges didnt transfer too.

PROS: The professors that I had there were all dedicated to helping their students succeed, even if you were outside of their major. My gen ed history professor was always more than willing to look at my papers for other classes when I needed another opinion on it. My videography adjunct professor was willing to be references for everyone in the class if we needed it. And my department head was willing to listen to any personal and school related problems I had and talk me through them.

Most people I know were happy with their programs, though there are a few that were problematic.
There are a lot of organizations on campus and if you want to start up a new club its fairly easy. For me personally, the Greeklife here was great because of the small size of the school and one of the reasons I stayed at Carroll. Of course an organization made completely of girls has its problems every now and then but overall it was positive for me.

CONS: Carroll as an institution proved to not care about its students. As a liberal arts school, who is supposedly proud of being a liberal arts school, they didn't put much money into those programs at all. PT and nursing was all they seemed to care about. Carroll promised that everyone would get some dollar amount of financial aid towards the mandatory trip, but then cut it the year that I needed it. Carroll promised that the school email would be permanent, but just changed its mind and is deleting them after six months, causing a lot of students to now have to sift though all their emails and transfer them to a new account. The president kept giving himself pay raises while cutting professors and staff and raising tuition.

Carroll cut down all of the programs to "allow students to double major." What I saw while I was in college was that most students don't want to double major and the ones that do, find a way to make it happen. I found this bad for the graphic design program because it is a major including other majors' topics. Students will now only be learning some of the skills that are generally thought of for graphic design, but not the basics of others like marketing and the arts.

If you are interested in Carroll's Marine Biology major because the last year is spent in Hawaii, know that Carroll lies by implying that you will be paying Carroll's tuition, but you will actually be paying Hawaii's tuition which is more expensive. I had several friends who wanted to remain at Carroll switch to biology or another major because of that.

I had to drop one of my minors because an adjunct professor told me I was going to fail... because of my partner in the class. The professor gave me two option: that he could keep my partner in the class and I would get a 50% and fail or that he could kick my partner out of the class and I could pass but I would have to do a large paper and presentations on my own. I went up the chain at Carroll and the upper management did attempt to help, but in the end could do nothing, so I took option 3 and dropped the class and my minor. Which was good in the long run because the stress of that class being gone helped me get a 4.0 in the rest of my classes which would have been 3.0s if I would have stayed. (adjuncts will either be really good or very horrible)Oh and Carroll likes to pretend it has diversity, but it doesn't.

4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: D+
Carroll's design department did not prepare me forArt & Design Department
Carroll's design department did not prepare me for life outside of college. I have been job hunting for a year and have not found a permanent job yet. When I was still a student at Carroll I was surprised that there was not a portfolio review. Maybe the faculty thinks that their students can't take criticism? Do not consider Carroll if you want a solid education in Graphic Design.
I live about 30 minutes away from CarrollQuite BrightOther
I live about 30 minutes away from Carroll University. I am extremely close with my family, so I wanted to go to a smaller school that was relatively close. I decided on Carroll after visiting the campus a few times. I went into Carroll feeling smart, as if my 30 ACT score and high standing at my high school were something to pride myself on. However, I found that a large majority of students are incredibly thoughtful and passionate as well. Yes, some students are snooty, but this is a private school. Obviously, there is going to be a dissenting minority at any institution you choose to attend. I have had only one negative experience with a professor. All others have been extremely flexible, as long as you are willing to put effort into your school work. I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in a unique field in just three years. My word of advice is to be sure to read and keep copies of everything you sign. The Student Affairs administration is beyond helpful and patient, and I have found that to be a common thread in most departments.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015