StudentsReview :: Marian University - Comments and Student Experiences

Marian University

The professors were very good and were accessible.English
The professors were very good and were accessible. However, class selection was mediocre at best. Many of the classes I wanted to take conflicted with each other so that I could take only one and had to wait a full year to take the other one. The foreign language program was extremely limited. If you don't live on campus, the school makes little attempt to keep you in the loop. Their idea of helping is to have a dinky "commuter lounge" where anyone can go. During the years I spent at the school, the television in the lounge had no remote and most of the buttons were broken. Commuters had to pay to use lockers that were available in only a few areas. Campus maintenance was way behind. Cracked steps and garbage strewn around campus were the norm. Smokers were allowed to stand right outside building entrances instead of moving away as legally required. Complaints were shrugged off and were not handled in a timely manner. I wish I had transferred to a different school. Marian did a poor job of preparing me for my post-college career.
I really do enjoy Marian.BrightSocial Work
I really do enjoy Marian. I've made a wide circle of friends. The coursework is easier than I expected. The socail structure here sucks, its hard to find things to do sometimes, but if you can make friends, you'll be fine. The Gender ratio i belive is 4 females to every male, so guys have a good chance here. A lot of people go home everyweekend, because there is nothing to do supposedly, but if you enjoy going out to parties or that type of social atmosphere, i would suggest staying a weekend!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-
Marian was a good start out college experience.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Marian was a good start out college experience. It was a small personal environment and all of the professors I had were great. They were very easily accessible; if they weren't in their office when I dropped by, they were more than willing to set up a time to meet. Advisors were always helpful as well.

As for the social life, for me it was nearly non-existent. There was barely anything to do on weekends if you aren't 21. The frats are always drama filled; they usually kick people out early or set up rules on who can/cannot get in. It's really not worth it. Although my friends and I did have a few worthwhile experiences there. I guess the campus is as fun as you make it because I know alot of people who had a great time.

Everyone seems to go home on the weekends because most people who go there live within an hour away.
The students are generally pretty friendly. Everyone knows everyone, which can be good or bad. It is nice to see people everyday that you recognize, but it's annoying that everyone knows your business. It does seem hard to meet people after the first month or so. Usually you just end up hanging out with the same people. I made some great friends, but I wish I had made more.

Almost all of the guy who go there (and there doesnt seem to be many) are there for sports. So theres not really a great mix of people, which was generally frustrating.

The dorms are great freshman year, but soph. year it went downhill because it's easy to hide away in your own space because usually you only live with 5 or so other people.

The campus is very safe, I was never afraid to walk on campus at any time of the day/night.
It is a very small campus; easy to get around. Not much to do in the town, but other colleges are reasonably close so you can get off campus and find things to do. Overall my experience wasn't terrible. I did have some great times, but most of the time I found myself wishing I were somewhere else. Many people would agree, and many transfer after their first year. I waited it out for two years and then decided to go. However, I would not have transfered if I had not gotten into the school I had been wanting to go to forever. If you are looking for a small college, then Marian might be right for you. If not, try Oshkosh.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2007