StudentsReview :: Marquette University - Comments and Student Experiences

Campus News:

Rush Hour

Campus News:

The Triple Play

Sep 08 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)

Many will say they feel unsafe on campus, but the reality is MU has more campus safety presence than most campuses.

4th Year Male -- Class 2009
Surrounding City: A+, Innovation: B-

It is a great

Aug 29 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
It is a great regional school with a great alumni network. HOWEVER I did not feel safe living on campus. There are countless break ins, robberies, and homeless wandering the campus and I was consistently harassed for change and cigarettes.
4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Perceived Campus Safety: F

I really don't have much of anything positive

Mar 27 2014Other
I really don't have much of anything positive to say about this school. This is one of 4 different universities I have attended during my education. I found most professors to be downright arrogant. Other professors were lacking fundamental knowledge in what they were teaching: as a student I should not have to continually correct all of your mistakes. Exams had questions on things that were never taught. These are not "hard" exams, I am a near 4.0 student and the exams have been relatively easy, except for the questions that you were never taught about. As a result I have no confidence in what I was being taught, and the whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth.

The students were hit or miss. Some of them were very nice, helpful, wonderfully open minded people. Others were snobbish, arrogant, and had the "Marquette attitude". I literally had one student tell me "I decided to go to Marquette over [insert small public university] because I want to be able to get into grad school". If this is your approach to how education works then you have the wrong mindset! Overall it is an overpriced school that people attend for the name recognition only. I recommend attending a public university, which are still overpriced but much more reasonable than Marquette. You get the same education and I had better experiences in public institutions with getting to know the professors/faculty and better research opportunities. Many of the brilliant graduate and medical students I know (mostly in science fields, as that is my own field of study) did their undergrad at small public universities. It's not about the big "Marquette" name, it's about the effort you put into your own education and the help you get from your professors and mentors. After I attended Marquette I realized that goal is easier to achieve elsewhere.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012