StudentsReview :: The University of Wisconsin Madison - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Wisconsin Madison

I transferred out of Madison to be closerQuite BrightPharmacy
I transferred out of Madison to be closer to home as I am from out-of-state and traveling back and forth was a hassle. Honestly I regret it more than anything. UW was an academically challenging (but tolerable) school where I felt as though everyone around me was of similar levels and we could have intelligent conversations and class moved at a good pace. Socially it was always easy to find plans whether it be through greek life, a house party, or even just around the city of Madison itself. I wasn't involved in greek life but my friends who were were not exclusive at all and i in no way felt left out or excluded. I really enjoyed all the city of Madison had to offer and wouldn't have left if it weren't so far from home!
more→Feb 26 2015
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Individual Value: B-
I loved UW Madison Law School! I lovedQuite BrightOther
I loved UW Madison Law School! I loved the academic challenge, the experiential learning (especially in the LAIP and General Practice programs), some of the professors, the diversity (I am white but had Latino, African American, and Native American friends), etc. I still guest lecture every year and it is an honor to be invited back to do so. I feel so strongly about my experience that I have given money to the law school every year since I graduated. My undergraduate school was not a good cultural fit for me - it was Southern, conservative, religious, racist, and totally into sports and the Greek system. The UW Law School - having a definite liberal bent, a strong commitment to diversity, etc. - was a much better cultural fit for me. I'm sure this had a lot to do with my enjoyment of UW Law.
more→Sep 28 2014
Starting Job: Attorney; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+
UW Madison has a fairly decent reputation dueQuite BrightEngineering Department
UW Madison has a fairly decent reputation due to the quality of research conducted at the large university. The professors and faculty primarily focus on research, and most only teach classes when forced to every few years. As an undergraduate, you kind of are pushed along through the factory. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved socially on campus, which is a plus, however making sure you involve yourself early is critical. One of my biggest complaints is the homogeneity of the student body; EVERYONE is white and upper middle class (so am I so I am not hating), and if you are not, you will have difficulty finding your niche. Also, contrary to what most reviews have been saying, Madison in a bit of a s*&t hole. There is really nothing to do other than bar hop on State Street, which gets old FAST. Granted, I did grow up in London, Manhattan, and Minneapolis, so I may be a bit bias. A typical day in Madison consists of trudging through the snow in frigid temperatures to go sit in a class with 200 other spoiled white kids complaining about how the disengaged professors don't speak English fluently, followed by going back to your apartment/dorm that you pay an EXORBITANT amount of money (for a small midwestern town) for each month.
more→Jul 27 2014