StudentsReview :: The University of Wisconsin Madison - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Wisconsin Madison

I loved UW Madison Law School! I loved

Sep 28 2014Other
I loved UW Madison Law School! I loved the academic challenge, the experiential learning (especially in the LAIP and General Practice programs), some of the professors, the diversity (I am white but had Latino, African American, and Native American friends), etc. I still guest lecture every year and it is an honor to be invited back to do so. I feel so strongly about my experience that I have given money to the law school every year since I graduated. My undergraduate school was not a good cultural fit for me - it was Southern, conservative, religious, racist, and totally into sports and the Greek system. The UW Law School - having a definite liberal bent, a strong commitment to diversity, etc. - was a much better cultural fit for me. I'm sure this had a lot to do with my enjoyment of UW Law.
Starting Job: Attorney Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+
Mar 19 2014Undecided

It is the PERFECT school.

Individual Value: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C+

UW Madison has a fairly decent reputation due

Jul 27 2014Engineering Department
UW Madison has a fairly decent reputation due to the quality of research conducted at the large university. The professors and faculty primarily focus on research, and most only teach classes when forced to every few years. As an undergraduate, you kind of are pushed along through the factory. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved socially on campus, which is a plus, however making sure you involve yourself early is critical. One of my biggest complaints is the homogeneity of the student body; EVERYONE is white and upper middle class (so am I so I am not hating), and if you are not, you will have difficulty finding your niche. Also, contrary to what most reviews have been saying, Madison in a bit of a s*&t hole. There is really nothing to do other than bar hop on State Street, which gets old FAST. Granted, I did grow up in London, Manhattan, and Minneapolis, so I may be a bit bias. A typical day in Madison consists of trudging through the snow in frigid temperatures to go sit in a class with 200 other spoiled white kids complaining about how the disengaged professors don't speak English fluently, followed by going back to your apartment/dorm that you pay an EXORBITANT amount of money (for a small midwestern town) for each month.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016