StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

I came into this school thinking it wasPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I came into this school thinking it was going to a lot of fun and that everyone would be friendly and that i would be able to socialize with other people without having to be intoxicated. However, i was wrong this school is full of druggies and drunks that could absolutely care less about the academics. the facilities are absolutely horrible for example the wifi is terrible meaning you will wait 10 minutes just to load google. to make things worse there is a power outage once every 2 weeks and they typically last for a whole day or two..

Also being that west virginia is a state that receives a lot of snow be prepared to walk to class on unsalted/unplowed side walks because they are too cheap to plow or salt anywhere.

I decided to come to bethany because i thought the dorms were nice and i wanted to play baseball. well turned out the dorms weren't as nice as they seemed due to power outages and shitty/nonexistant internet. As far as baseball goes the coach is an idiot to put it nicely. we won a total of 2 games out of 40 yet he still would stick the same people out there instead of taking his favorites out.Coming to this school was an complete mistake on my part and i truly do regret it. do not come to this school

Lets first say that if you are fromAverageCommunications
Lets first say that if you are from a small town or like to be a big fish in a small pond you will succeed at this school. I am from a large city and it was just too much for me to handle with absolutly nothing to get away from. There is a small town of Wellsburg which is about twenty minutes away which has a Kroger or Sheetz to get get food but thats about it. The Frats and Sororities were ok but got old fast. They try to do things to keep you occupied but I'm telling you it is killer boring and I played a sport and lifted everyday. The classes are fine and challenging but forget it if you need to talk to a professor they are fighting to get out of their to. The professor turn over rate is rather large. It seems that they get their experience there at bethany and move on. If you want something stolen this is the place for you there is something called CV shopping where kids go through the dorms looking for unlocked rooms, which there is no shortage of, and rob those kids blind looking for aderol, TV's and anything that is not nailed down. Keep your stuff locked up everynight. I met some great kids there though and will miss them and on Prof that actually cared about me and talked straight to me telling me that I should go because she noticed how miserable I was there. If you go here keep your eyes open lots of bad stuff can happen here. Drugs are big and can consume you if you let it. With that said there are a ton of kids that absolutly love this place to it just wasn't for me.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: C, Surrounding City: F
Though this may come across as bias, IQuite Bright
Though this may come across as bias, I feel as if this is honestly the worst school in America. They claim to be a Church of Christ school, however they bring in nothing but "thugs" for athletics and they usually drop out and bring more in. I have not met a freshman yet that says they love it up here. Bethany has one of the worst retention rates in the nation. I cannot stress how horrible this school is. I came here to play Football since they seemed so genuine when it came to recruiting only to find out that they brought in 120 freshman football players... Which most likely 10 will stay. They have a bar that serves underage alcohol. Which this may come across as cool, but its not. They have security and cops who wait for certain kids to walk out only to bust them with underage drinking. I HATE this school. Since the first week of school I was ready to leave and my thoughts have not changed a bit for a single second. The surrounding area is horrible, there is absolutely nothing to do. And Bethany may act like they want you for athletics or etc. However in reality that could care less. This school is a complete scam they just want your money and that's it. Now granted the teachers are friendly and some students are nice and cool it does not make up for the negatives this school has. I honestly wouldn't stay here if they paid me the money to come here. This school is also notorious for having "Magic Mushrooms" look it up. About ten years ago there was a bust of over 100 students (Keep in mind Bethany has like 600-700 kids) for picking and eating hallucinogenic mushrooms. Thats the perfect environment you want your kid in! Oh and the football team is horrible, the lacrosse team is terrible and the track and baseball teams suck. There is no school spirit here. There is no such thing as unity. This was honestly one of the worst mistakes of my life coming here. Please do not make the same mistake I did. I would start a campaign to get this school discontinued if I could. Everyone who i talk to always has a ton of negative comments to state about this school.

Oh and on a closing note the "Greek life" is pathetic. The social life is non existing. I feel as if I traveled back in time and I am currently stuck in HELL. The computer labs are awful, still running on windows XP.. The dorms are disgusting. And being a former athlete everyone at this school is an athlete. Which if you dont play sports have a good time fitting in. This school is nothing but cliques and thugs. In my closing remarks please NEVER COME HERE. SAVE YOUR MONEY SAVE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT WASTE A YEAR OF YOUR LIFE LIKE I DID.

Oh and lastly your freshman year they make you take bullshit classes. For example they make you take a foreign language again, in which will be an elective and not transferable class. They make you take j term which once again wont trasnfer and then they make you pick from a list of classes such as superheroes, beatles, heroes and villains, olympic games, and etc. THESE WONT TRANSFER. And how do you think a university will react when they a superhero class on your schedule? They will laugh. DO NOT COME HERE

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B, Education Quality: F

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

Academy of Art University (CA) 1:advice

Trinity International University Illinois (IL) 1:negative

Art Institute of Houston (TX) 1:negative

Compare BethanySave Bethany

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→