StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

I would not recommend Bethany College to anyQuite BrightBiology
I would not recommend Bethany College to any prospective students. As a soon to be attendee was drawn in by the college's unique history, small size, and supposedly individualized programs. I arrived at the college full of hope for a great future full of academic challenges which was quickly stomped out by classes that seemed to be high school level at best.

Though the teachers are helpful, good luck getting in contact with any other faculty member. I had to wait for three months before I was able to get a new room even after my R.A. told the office of rooming and board that I needed to be moved, it took about eight phone calls to finally get a response from billing about a $350 that had no explanation and was later proven to be a nonexistent charge, and I have still have excessive issues with getting the faulty to do their own jobs. In fact I would like to add that when I returned this year to Bethany I was informed that I had not been given a room, though I had registered and paid for one,and I had to wait in my car until a room was provided for me.

As for the atmosphere, the academic drive is lacking while the push for sports is booming. Even with a 4.0 GPA I found that my scholarships were being cut while student who were obtaining a 2.0 were getting large "academic" scholarships simply because they were a member of a sports team. Perhaps I am wrong but the last time I checked Bethany was a division three college, meaning that none of the students were going into a professional league, rather they were coming to college for an education with Bethany did not seem very eager to provide. I find it unfair that I am being punished for becoming educated as apposed to taking part in a D3 sports team.All in all, Bethany feels more like a sports oriented high school as apposed to a college and I would not recommend that any academically driven student even consider attending.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
DO NOT GO HERE! Grades will get messedQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
DO NOT GO HERE! Grades will get messed up, They will lie to you, They do not care what so ever. Every kid at this school wants out. The sports suck, the college life sucks, the theater sucks. They have a bar that serves underage alcohol and everyone goes down there. Its a terrible school and they make you take bull crap classes. I absolutely hate the school and would never recommend anyone to go here.The library computers are always busy, wifi never works and if your going for a sport you will be disappointed. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!! DO NOT GO HERE
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: B, University Resource Use: F
Bethany College has a spiffy website and theirQuite BrightPhilosophy
Bethany College has a spiffy website and their history might fool you into believing that this is a worthwhile place to study. However, as soon as you start to look into what students are saying, you will realize that this is a hellhole of a college. They suck in decent students who didn't do their homework when applying to college, and then make them take worthless classes (Freshmen Seminar, anyone?) which won't transfer out, making it nearly impossible for students to transfer.

The school recruits and gives scholarships to athletes, meaning that the vast majority of the student body is involved in competitive sports. This is a negative because most of these kids (yes, kids) are from the ghettos of Youngstown, Columbus, and Pittsburgh. While diversity might be positive in theory, it has not had a positive effect on this campus. Violence and crime are rampant on the campus, and there are rapes being reported every few weeks. For a college of 800 students this is very alarming. It's also a well known fact that about one half of the entering freshmen class will have flunked out, dropped out or transferred by second semester.

If the student body was alarming enough, think about this: at the end of this school year (11/12) about 35% of the faculty will have left, moving to other academic institutions. Why, you might ask. Because this college pays their hard working faculty next to nothing. Funny, seeing as this is an "institution of higher learning" and yet the faculty are not well taken care of.

The only positive thing that I had to say about this college was actually about the faculty. However, my favorite professors are all moving on after this semester. This leaves me wondering how much longer this college will survive. Without the dedicated faculty, what does it have to offer? Especially since the college sold their mineral rights last year, there could be drilling/fracking going on in the very near future.

If you're reading this and considering Bethany college, JUST SAY NO. Unless you're ACT score was below a 16, you probably do not belong here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

Sam Houston State University (TX) 1:negative

Rio Salado College (AZ) 1:negative

Lafayette College (PA) 1:neutral

Drew University (NJ) 1:positive

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→