StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

I would tell any prospective student, that despiteQuite Bright
I would tell any prospective student, that despite the name and history, this is NOT a christian school. I was offered drugs and alcohol my first night as a freshman, I was date raped my first semester, and the pressure to be sexually promiscuous was so constant I knew few girls that didn't cave to the very predatory upper clansmen. Greek life (aka partying and popularity contests) is way more important than academics, and those who aren't involved get snubbed. Sort of ridiculous considering the tiny size of the school. Many of the professors are barely older than the students, and I found the level of learning to be truly little more than high school. Underage drinking is accepted, almost encouraged and drugs/sex are everywhere; not really what I went to college for, and sort of disgusting how tolerated it all is. I saw recently a professor was charged with rape. It's is heart wrenching to think this place was started by anyone of faith. This school is super expensive for anyone out of state, which I don't understand where the money goes. Not into the dorms/food/classes/programs. I found that the reputation for the school with employers and other schools was either nonexistent or not very positive. I will be paying student loans for a long time, but I can't undo what those years did to me. I don't think any parent would want what happened to me for their child's college experience.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Extracurricular Activities: D+, Education Quality: F
I would not recommend Bethany College to anyQuite BrightBiology
I would not recommend Bethany College to any prospective students. As a soon to be attendee was drawn in by the college's unique history, small size, and supposedly individualized programs. I arrived at the college full of hope for a great future full of academic challenges which was quickly stomped out by classes that seemed to be high school level at best.

Though the teachers are helpful, good luck getting in contact with any other faculty member. I had to wait for three months before I was able to get a new room even after my R.A. told the office of rooming and board that I needed to be moved, it took about eight phone calls to finally get a response from billing about a $350 that had no explanation and was later proven to be a nonexistent charge, and I have still have excessive issues with getting the faulty to do their own jobs. In fact I would like to add that when I returned this year to Bethany I was informed that I had not been given a room, though I had registered and paid for one,and I had to wait in my car until a room was provided for me.

As for the atmosphere, the academic drive is lacking while the push for sports is booming. Even with a 4.0 GPA I found that my scholarships were being cut while student who were obtaining a 2.0 were getting large "academic" scholarships simply because they were a member of a sports team. Perhaps I am wrong but the last time I checked Bethany was a division three college, meaning that none of the students were going into a professional league, rather they were coming to college for an education with Bethany did not seem very eager to provide. I find it unfair that I am being punished for becoming educated as apposed to taking part in a D3 sports team.All in all, Bethany feels more like a sports oriented high school as apposed to a college and I would not recommend that any academically driven student even consider attending.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
DO NOT GO HERE! Grades will get messedQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
DO NOT GO HERE! Grades will get messed up, They will lie to you, They do not care what so ever. Every kid at this school wants out. The sports suck, the college life sucks, the theater sucks. They have a bar that serves underage alcohol and everyone goes down there. Its a terrible school and they make you take bull crap classes. I absolutely hate the school and would never recommend anyone to go here.The library computers are always busy, wifi never works and if your going for a sport you will be disappointed. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!! DO NOT GO HERE
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: B, University Resource Use: F

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

Quinnipiac University (CT) 1:negative

Haverford College (PA) 1:positive

Hillsborough Community College (FL) 1:advice

Compare BethanySave Bethany

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→