StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

Bethany was an amazing place to get an

Apr 18 2011Economics
Bethany was an amazing place to get an overall education. The scenery and local flavor is unique unto itself. The faculty are outstanding. The campus and town is very small so it's important to be able to make your own fun. The friends I made there are people I will know the rest of my life. I met my wife there. The important thing to realize about Bethany is its about opportunity. If you want to do something Bethany is the place for you, if you want something to be done for you, you are better off at a bigger school.
Preparedness: B Reputation: B-

Bethany college is the worst school you could

Oct 21 2010Computer Science
Bethany college is the worst school you could get into. Beside the fact that you are somewhat getting an education, there is very few good things here. The social life is horrible. There is NO party, and nothing is never going on. Greek is lame with houses with less than 10 people.It is a dry campus. The food is ok...like at the hospital, and it does not seem to get any better. You have to drive 20 minutes just to get gas. It is just depressing to live here. I wish I could have read a straightforward review like mine before to come here. I didn't....and I am stuck here...
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: B+, Social Life: F

I would tell any prospective student, that despite

Feb 07 2011Other
I would tell any prospective student, that despite the name and history, this is NOT a christian school. I was offered drugs and alcohol my first night as a freshman, I was date raped my first semester, and the pressure to be sexually promiscuious was so constant I knew few girls that didn't cave to the very predatory upper classmen. Greek life (aka partying and popularity contests) is way more important than academics, and those who aren't involved get snubbed. Sort of ridiculous considering the tiny size of the school. Many of the professors are barely older than the students, and I found the level of learning to be truly little more than high school. Underage drinking is accepted, almost encouraged and drugs/sex are everywhere; not really what I went to college for, and sort of disgusting how tolerated it all is. I saw recently a professor was charged with rape. It's is heart wrenching to think this place was started by anyone of faith. This school is super expensive for anyone out of state, which I don't understand where the money goes. Not into the dorms/food/classes/programs. I found that the reputatation for the school with employers and other schools was either nonexistent or not very positive. I will be paying student loans for a long time, but I can't undo what those years did to me. I don't think any parent would want what happened to me for their child's college experience.
Preparedness: B- Reputation: C-