StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

Bethany College was the best 4 years ofBrightEducation
Bethany College was the best 4 years of my life. I was always told when I was a young girl that college would be the best time of my life, that I would meet the best friends and find a guy I would marry. Obviously as a naive teenager I thought everyone was not telling the truth, but they were. Bethany definitely was a place where I was easily able to meet people and excel in academics. I was able to get a teaching job in PA the first year I graduated, which is very hard to come by, with my degree at Bethany. These comments that I am reading about my alma mater are very disturbing because all of them are untrue. I was able to grow as a person at Bethany with the help of the surrounding faculty as guidance and friends. Bethany is not a drug infested place but the opposite. Could you imagine sending your child to WVU or any other state institution?? What would you find there but drugs awaiting you at your door step. Bethany is a quiet town and a place of its own. I would highly recommend this college to anyone, especially to upcoming education majors.
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: A-
The longer I stay at Bethany, the moreQuite BrightEnglish
The longer I stay at Bethany, the more I realize that it is a school that is slowly running itself into the ground. With a student body comprised primarily of muscle-bound sports players, the community offers little in the way of academic creativity or learning. Though there are activities and plenty of extracurricular, the only participants are usually those in a fraternity or sorority, as the rest of the student body does not seem to care about anything. Though the teachers are all competent and helpful, they often have to dumb down the material for the students in the class, making classes a chore for anyone with a decent IQ.

It is impossible to get a straight answer from the administration, and programs are often cut or dropped without any explanation or warning. Though the campus has enough money to change the flowers surrounding the fountain every month, it cannot seem to sustain a study abroad program or hire support for an overburdened staff.Do not come to this school unless your major is Comm or Physical Activities, you will not be able to transfer. The administration will either "forget" to send out your transcripts or you will not be a competitive student because of how low Bethany has fallen.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
Be sure to make a visit to theQuite BrightEnglish
Be sure to make a visit to the campus before you decide to attend Bethany College. Walk around in order to experience the unsafe stairs and take a look in a few of the dormitories to see how disgusting they are. Also, drive around the surrounding area a bit. Most shopping opportunities (other than the vastly overpriced local general store) are over thirty minutes away. The only nightlife is the local bar, and most students get completely smashed there on a weekly basis. The campus is absolutely dead on weekends, because nearly everyone who can go home does so. Expect to be bored often, because there aren't many activities provided by the school, and the "high-speed" internet is at least ten times slower than dial-up. The campus is poorly lit, so don't go out alone at night without a cell phone. Though if you feel a need to call security, good luck to you. They don't always find it necessary to answer the phone.

When planning out your course schedule, make sure you know which courses you'll need in order to graduate. You'll often have to fix the mistakes made by the registrar and by your adviser. If somebody makes a mistake, getting it fixed may take quite a while, as the administration loves giving students the run-around.You must be absolutely sure you want to go here, because you may find transferring utterly impossible. I tried to transfer after my first year, but my transcripts were never sent. Even after I was repeatedly assured that everything was in order.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012