StudentsReview :: Bethany College - Comments and Student Experiences

Bethany College

Though this may come across as bias, IQuite Bright
Though this may come across as bias, I feel as if this is honestly the worst school in America. They claim to be a Church of Christ school, however they bring in nothing but "thugs" for athletics and they usually drop out and bring more in. I have not met a freshman yet that says they love it up here. Bethany has one of the worst retention rates in the nation. I cannot stress how horrible this school is. I came here to play Football since they seemed so genuine when it came to recruiting only to find out that they brought in 120 freshman football players... Which most likely 10 will stay. They have a bar that serves underage alcohol. Which this may come across as cool, but its not. They have security and cops who wait for certain kids to walk out only to bust them with underage drinking. I HATE this school. Since the first week of school I was ready to leave and my thoughts have not changed a bit for a single second. The surrounding area is horrible, there is absolutely nothing to do. And Bethany may act like they want you for athletics or etc. However in reality that could care less. This school is a complete scam they just want your money and that's it. Now granted the teachers are friendly and some students are nice and cool it does not make up for the negatives this school has. I honestly wouldn't stay here if they paid me the money to come here. This school is also notorious for having "Magic Mushrooms" look it up. About ten years ago there was a bust of over 100 students (Keep in mind Bethany has like 600-700 kids) for picking and eating hallucinogenic mushrooms. Thats the perfect environment you want your kid in! Oh and the football team is horrible, the lacrosse team is terrible and the track and baseball teams suck. There is no school spirit here. There is no such thing as unity. This was honestly one of the worst mistakes of my life coming here. Please do not make the same mistake I did. I would start a campaign to get this school discontinued if I could. Everyone who i talk to always has a ton of negative comments to state about this school.

Oh and on a closing note the "Greek life" is pathetic. The social life is non existing. I feel as if I traveled back in time and I am currently stuck in HELL. The computer labs are awful, still running on windows XP.. The dorms are disgusting. And being a former athlete everyone at this school is an athlete. Which if you dont play sports have a good time fitting in. This school is nothing but cliques and thugs. In my closing remarks please NEVER COME HERE. SAVE YOUR MONEY SAVE YOUR TIME AND DO NOT WASTE A YEAR OF YOUR LIFE LIKE I DID.

Oh and lastly your freshman year they make you take bullshit classes. For example they make you take a foreign language again, in which will be an elective and not transferable class. They make you take j term which once again wont trasnfer and then they make you pick from a list of classes such as superheroes, beatles, heroes and villains, olympic games, and etc. THESE WONT TRANSFER. And how do you think a university will react when they a superhero class on your schedule? They will laugh. DO NOT COME HERE

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B, Education Quality: F
The longer I stay at Bethany, the moreQuite BrightEnglish
The longer I stay at Bethany, the more I realize that it is a school that is slowly running itself into the ground. With a student body comprised primarily of muscle-bound sports players, the community offers little in the way of academic creativity or learning. Though there are activities and plenty of extracurricular, the only participants are usually those in a fraternity or sorority, as the rest of the student body does not seem to care about anything. Though the teachers are all competent and helpful, they often have to dumb down the material for the students in the class, making classes a chore for anyone with a decent IQ.

It is impossible to get a straight answer from the administration, and programs are often cut or dropped without any explanation or warning. Though the campus has enough money to change the flowers surrounding the fountain every month, it cannot seem to sustain a study abroad program or hire support for an overburdened staff.Do not come to this school unless your major is Comm or Physical Activities, you will not be able to transfer. The administration will either "forget" to send out your transcripts or you will not be a competitive student because of how low Bethany has fallen.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
I would tell any prospective student, that despiteQuite Bright
I would tell any prospective student, that despite the name and history, this is NOT a christian school. I was offered drugs and alcohol my first night as a freshman, I was date raped my first semester, and the pressure to be sexually promiscuous was so constant I knew few girls that didn't cave to the very predatory upper clansmen. Greek life (aka partying and popularity contests) is way more important than academics, and those who aren't involved get snubbed. Sort of ridiculous considering the tiny size of the school. Many of the professors are barely older than the students, and I found the level of learning to be truly little more than high school. Underage drinking is accepted, almost encouraged and drugs/sex are everywhere; not really what I went to college for, and sort of disgusting how tolerated it all is. I saw recently a professor was charged with rape. It's is heart wrenching to think this place was started by anyone of faith. This school is super expensive for anyone out of state, which I don't understand where the money goes. Not into the dorms/food/classes/programs. I found that the reputation for the school with employers and other schools was either nonexistent or not very positive. I will be paying student loans for a long time, but I can't undo what those years did to me. I don't think any parent would want what happened to me for their child's college experience.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2009