StudentsReview :: Wheeling Jesuit University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheeling Jesuit University

i love wheeling jesuit university!

Jan 25 2008Chemistry
i love wheeling jesuit university! it was a life changing experience and I miss it tremendously! faculty and students are amazing!!! I have lifetime friends! this college and faculty has made it so easy in the chemical industry! I know more, and do more than my manager! i'm thinking about going back to get my mba to accompany my great undergraduate degree in chemistry!!! cannot wait!
4th Year Male -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C

The research experience I gained at WJU set

Aug 24 2008Biology
The research experience I gained at WJU set me apart from the competition for medical school. As a school without extensive graduate programs, WJU offers the undergraduate student opportunities normally absorbed by others. This experience helped me to obtain a training grant that provided my salary as a researcher at one of the top children’s hospitals in the world during the summer between my first and second years of medical school. The extensive variety of biology courses offered at WJU provided me with an excellent platform upon which to build in medical school. The personal atmosphere and small class size allows maximum tailoring of one's education. At WJU, a student can realistically recommend a course be added (as an elective) and take said course the next year. My course portfolio is more versed than nearly all of my medical school peers. While I cannot speak for all majors offered at WJU, the biology program is strong. It requires a two-year research project designed and carried out by the student but funded by the university. Some see this as added work. It is good to remember that an education is what you make of it. I see the required research as an amazing opportunity. By requiring the student to do the research, the school is also requiring itself to fund the project. There are VERY few times when a person will be told to pick ANYTHING biologically related that interests him/her and research it with full funding. It’s like getting a grant where you make up the category and your proposal is nearly guaranteed acceptance. If this interests you, go to WJU.edu. I would suggest contacting Ken Rastall or Robert Shurina. I can guarantee they will know exactly who wrote this if presented with this assessment. This is truly a personal place where the professors know their students.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: D

If I had to this over again, I

Oct 31 2014Education
If I had to this over again, I would not come to this school for education. It's just simply not put together very well. There's a number of things, just simply wrong. The school will not let them hire another full time staff member, which results in them being understaffed, which in turn effects their teaching. Two of three FULL TIME STAFF members do not even teach face to face and leave it up the other full time staff member and part time teachers. Special Education is completely online, even though the teacher is capable of and should teach these classes face to face. I do not feel prepared at all to pass my special education tests because I have not learned anything.

Another problem I have with the education department is the way they handle scheduling. They only offer one section of each class, certain times of the year. Sometimes they even offer two different classes at the same time on the day. They refuse to move them!!! We don't really get into our majors until junior year and this is a big problem that they don't seem to want to correct.

What I got and what I signed up for are two different things. Knowing what I know now, I would not have come here and in fact, I considered transferring at the end of my second year. It was not just the education program that has caused this negative feelings.

There was a mix up with my FAFSA paperwork that was 100% on financial aid and the school tried to charge me full tuition. They did this a large percentage of the school and would not fix it. It did get corrected, but it was a very stressful summer and as a result, I do not trust them with anything.

There has just been a number of changes and many of the students are upset with them. The school changes rules to fit their needs, not the students. They keep telling us that we are not numbers but people, but it does not seem like that. It's such a shame because this used to be a really good school.

Come on WJU! Get you act together!

4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Education Quality: D

Kansas City Art Institute (MO)

University of California Irvine (CA) 3:positive