StudentsReview :: Wheeling Jesuit University - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheeling Jesuit University

Coming to Jesuit was the best decision I've

May 08 2014Education
Coming to Jesuit was the best decision I've ever made. People, possible employers, are always impressed by Jesuit students instead of one of the other local schools. It is more expensive, but worth it. I'm in education, not only are teachers always available, but our Dean is open and available, too. Truly a student centered program. Love it!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

The people are what really make the university

Jan 04 2014Athletics/Training
The people are what really make the university. My peers really make WJU a place that I want to go. I changed my perception of the school on an overnight visit my parents forced me to go on. After that I did a 180 and it went from my 3rd choice to 1st choice, above OSU (Columbus campus). Maintenance is the main problem that I see at the school, and a bit of administrative problems. The faculty and staff are very open and friendly. Take a tour before you decide that you want to go and it will open your eyes.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-

The research experience I gained at WJU set

Aug 24 2008Biology
The research experience I gained at WJU set me apart from the competition for medical school. As a school without extensive graduate programs, WJU offers the undergraduate student opportunities normally absorbed by others. This experience helped me to obtain a training grant that provided my salary as a researcher at one of the top children’s hospitals in the world during the summer between my first and second years of medical school. The extensive variety of biology courses offered at WJU provided me with an excellent platform upon which to build in medical school. The personal atmosphere and small class size allows maximum tailoring of one's education. At WJU, a student can realistically recommend a course be added (as an elective) and take said course the next year. My course portfolio is more versed than nearly all of my medical school peers. While I cannot speak for all majors offered at WJU, the biology program is strong. It requires a two-year research project designed and carried out by the student but funded by the university. Some see this as added work. It is good to remember that an education is what you make of it. I see the required research as an amazing opportunity. By requiring the student to do the research, the school is also requiring itself to fund the project. There are VERY few times when a person will be told to pick ANYTHING biologically related that interests him/her and research it with full funding. It’s like getting a grant where you make up the category and your proposal is nearly guaranteed acceptance. If this interests you, go to WJU.edu. I would suggest contacting Ken Rastall or Robert Shurina. I can guarantee they will know exactly who wrote this if presented with this assessment. This is truly a personal place where the professors know their students.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: D