StudentsReview :: West Virginia University - Comments and Student Experiences

West Virginia University

I have very mixed feeling about wvu

Jul 15 2014Other
I have very mixed feeling about wvu. The environment is beautiful and very peaceful if you find a good place off campus. High street has some of the best restaurants and stores (BLACK BEAR IS THE BEST!) This school is great for the average white male or female who likes to party with friends and have parents to pay all there expenses, but if you're not a person who parties alot (ME) then wvu might not be for you. I was pressure constantly to go out and party and when I didn't I felt like a loser or something. The university is 86 percent white. Other races usually form their own groups within themselves, which I hate! When I hung out with white people, black people gave me the 'side-eye.' There were many of my classes where I would be the only black female present. I'm not saying that this interfered with how I learned but if a professor played the color purple or talked about slaves during lecture, lets just say I did not feel comfortable. Andd theres a motel a few block away from campus called PLANTATION INN..Im not saying this has anything to do with black people, but comeee onnnnn! I just didn't fit in. I would live or work in morgantown because of how beautiful it is, but NOT go to school here. I met a few great people here and a lot of not so great people, but I'll forever be grateful for those friendships, and I'm currently looking towards transferring from wvu. It's been a bittersweet ride, mostly bitter.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: D+

WVU is an amazing place

Apr 07 2014Other
WVU is an amazing place. Being from New Jersey and coming here was a huge culture shock. The people here love their Mountaineers. Everywhere you go you see Blue and Gold I think that's amazing. The love that students and Morgantown residents have for the school really drew me here. The sports are usually very good and fun to attend, there is no place like Morgantown on gameday. Social life is great, really don't need to be in a frat to have fun trust me. Academics are better than what people will typically say about WVU. We always get a bad wrap with people outside of the WVU family but if you want a good education, fun atmosphere, and new experience seriously look into West Virginia University!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-

If you are an open minded person with

Sep 23 2014Mechanical Engineering
If you are an open minded person with ideals of seeing the world and divulging yourself into new cultures, whilst still embracing your own, then WVU is not for you. In the short time I have been here I never seen such an epicenter for arrogance, racism, and just utter disregard for common decency and human well being. I came to this school for a new start, get my work done, get a degree, and still try to have fun. But when the idea of "fun" is either being a religious sports fanatic, being a drunken asshole, or just an overall stereotype for the south, that is quite challenging. If you are a guy at least, trying to have a conversation with another individual about anything besides how your sports teams are doing or jamming your dong into the closest girl with a vagina will usually end up with you being called gay or at least labeled as weird. On the note of homosexuality, practically every person I've had the displeasure of talking to, including my roommates, are extremely homophobic. Now I am not gay, but you dont see me insulting the gay community and every person I don't agree with every anti-gay insult they can think of, which is not that many. It is wrong and just plain childish and idiotic, grow the fuck up. On top of that everyone here is so out of touch with the world around them, and the most frustrating part about it, is that they don't care. They would die happy living their lives watching sports on tv, drinking, and fucking, even at the expense to the world around them. It is quite appalling how the state has allowed these students to continuously give them a bad reputation for social backwardness when this is exactly where it comes from. I've just decided to work instead of participate in this atrocity of a social life this school has. Hopefully something changes. As for me, I am transferring out the next chance I get. This place takes us back to 1800s and Im trying to live in the 21st century so peace.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016