StudentsReview :: West Virginia University - Comments and Student Experiences

West Virginia University

WVU is an amazing place

Apr 07 2014Other
WVU is an amazing place. Being from New Jersey and coming here was a huge culture shock. The people here love their Mountaineers. Everywhere you go you see Blue and Gold I think that's amazing. The love that students and Morgantown residents have for the school really drew me here. The sports are usually very good and fun to attend, there is no place like Morgantown on gameday. Social life is great, really don't need to be in a frat to have fun trust me. Academics are better than what people will typically say about WVU. We always get a bad wrap with people outside of the WVU family but if you want a good education, fun atmosphere, and new experience seriously look into West Virginia University!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: B-

I came to WVU as a biology major

Feb 02 2014Biology
I came to WVU as a biology major. I love the university and I could not imagine myself anywhere else. Ive seen a lot of comments about the students here being rude and not very friendly and they didn't make many friends. If you decide to come here it's a big school so you're going to have to put yourself out there and try to make friends not just expect friends to come to you. As for the biology program, I hate it. I loved AP biology my senior year in high school but hated my biology classes and labs here. I cant really pinpoint one reason why, I'm just not interested in it anymore. Switching my major to dental hygiene. The financial aid the school offers is awesome.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F

I have very mixed feeling about wvu

Jul 15 2014Other
I have very mixed feeling about wvu. The environment is beautiful and very peaceful if you find a good place off campus. High street has some of the best restaurants and stores (BLACK BEAR IS THE BEST!) This school is great for the average white male or female who likes to party with friends and have parents to pay all there expenses, but if you're not a person who parties alot (ME) then wvu might not be for you. I was pressure constantly to go out and party and when I didn't I felt like a loser or something. The university is 86 percent white. Other races usually form their own groups within themselves, which I hate! When I hung out with white people, black people gave me the 'side-eye.' There were many of my classes where I would be the only black female present. I'm not saying that this interfered with how I learned but if a professor played the color purple or talked about slaves during lecture, lets just say I did not feel comfortable. Andd theres a motel a few block away from campus called PLANTATION INN..Im not saying this has anything to do with black people, but comeee onnnnn! I just didn't fit in. I would live or work in morgantown because of how beautiful it is, but NOT go to school here. I met a few great people here and a lot of not so great people, but I'll forever be grateful for those friendships, and I'm currently looking towards transferring from wvu. It's been a bittersweet ride, mostly bitter.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016