StudentsReview :: West Virginia University - Comments and Student Experiences

West Virginia University

First off, I'm an Accounting major, not anBrightAccounting
First off, I'm an Accounting major, not an English major so don't bust me for grammatical/spelling errors or run on sentences...

This is a pretty great school for the low tuition. I never had any problems with the faculty or advisors like some of the comments I read. Although, I was directly admitted into the business college and placed in honors courses with an honors advisor. I found the professors and coursework in my major pretty challenging but all of the GECs were a joke.

The school spirit and sporting events were awesome! So much energy and all around great atmosphere. No complaints here.

The social/night life aspect of the school can be a bit of a double edge sword. It can be extremely fun and help you unwind after a stressful finals week but can get really annoying/distracting if you are trying to focus on schoolwork. It takes real discipline and self-control which most 18-20 year olds lack. If you are not into the party scene, I highly recommend living away from the downtown/sunnyside area. Better off just commuting from Evansdale area.

The campus and surrounding area is absolutely beautiful, especially in the fall. If you end up going here, make sure you take the time to visit Cooper's Rock and Blue Hole.

Towards the end of my years there, I was ready to leave though. I moved across the country to a large city almost immediately after graduation. I think the only reason I might have gone to a different school is just because I am more of a city person. Morgantown is a pretty small town so it doesn't take very long to explore and see everything. For WV though, it is the best school and the best city in my honest opinion. Let's go Mountaineers!!! Keep those gold medals coming!

4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Scholastic Success: B
I am a sophomore premed Bio major fromQuite BrightBiology
I am a sophomore premed Bio major from WV, and I really do love WVU. I know that's a cliche since most West Virginians were taught to love the Mountaineers at birth, but it really is a pretty great place. The Bio department is particularly attentive to its students, and most professors are always trying to make themselves available to help you. The Physics department is pretty bad and the Chem department is okay (though the organic professors are great.) I'm uncertain about the other departments. WVU isn't a name brand university and often gets a bad rep for being a party school, so the university really goes above and beyond in trying to help their serious students succeed (i.e. The pre-health office, which only has one job: getting people in to dental, pharmacy, PT, PA, and med school.) There are a lot of research oppurtunities as well, though thankfully the lecturers are not researchers. :) Greek life is big, but it's not a big deal if you're not involved in it. You can party hard or be a serious ball-busting student at WVU.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: C
I went to West Virginia University for aBrightEnglish
I went to West Virginia University for a year and a half. Overall, the school and town is full of school spirit and an affinity for drinking, partying, and football. Many of the students appear to be happy and social and enjoy partying several days out of the week. However, I did not meet many people who were very academically driven. Some students seemed unaffected by their low GPAs, failing classes, or that they had to repeat those said failed classes. However, students were always enthused to go out and get wasted at whatever party or club up the street.

The academic advising at this school is an absolute joke. The academic advisors are very incompetent and do not provide any helpful advice or resources. You're essentially on your own with that. In addition, the financial aid office is also an absolute joke, with employees incompetent and unknowledgeable about specific questions about help with financial aid.

Greek life is huge at this university. Many students involved with greek life are obsessed with partying and looking good all of the time. This superficial attitude seeps into the entire student body, as I met many people who were only preoccupied with being seen with popular and attractive people, looking good, and going to the "hottest" parties.Overall, this was not the college for me. I am not someone who cares about partying all the time, drinking myself into a drunken stupor, or failing my classes. I am transferring to a university where the intellect of the students is much higher and people are preoccupied with non-superficial things.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018