StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Wyoming - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Southern California -- Los Angeles, CA

The University of Wyoming

I grew up in Laramie and, even though

Jan 25 2014Education
I grew up in Laramie and, even though I wanted to leave, I stayed at the University because of the low cost of attendance. The University of Wyoming was always my first choice school, not only because I pay my own tuition, but because it was what my community encouraged me to do. I declared Secondary Education and English as my majors for freshman enrollment. Through the last four years, I have questioned my choice every day because the program challenges me to consider the difficulties that come with being a teacher. Equally, the program provides opportunity as a pre-service teacher in the classroom. As I wish there was even more of an opportunity to be in the classroom, the teachers within the community are open to have volunteers all of the time.

There are some really great coffee shops in Laramie (Turtle Rock Coffee and Night Heron) and thankfully, because COE library hours are awful. The town has a major drinking problem, and even though the officers have cracked down on DUI's, people fight the system easily. The library closes at 7 p.m. Friday, is open from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m Saturday and doesn't open until 11 a.m. on Sunday mornings. The school is, essentially, supporting poor study habits and high drinking rates. The library was advertised as a 24hr library when they first built it, but that is obviously not the case. Nonetheless, the community of Laramie is very open and friendly. Professors are usually very open to helping students, but students need to be self-motivated and ask for help. There are a lot of resources around campus to help with math and English, but it is up to the student to be prepared and leave enough time with their homework to ask for the help. Classes are challenging, but professors are understanding and provide opportunities for success.

4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Surrounding City: C

UW is a good school with great faculty

Jun 22 2013Education
UW is a good school with great faculty but I feel the social aspect of UW is its downfall. Not all the students are like this don't get me wrong but a lot of them seem to have a chip on their shoulder kind of attitude and not very approachable. Not all students are like that but people don't seem very open to expanding their friend zones. Just my view on it. There isn't much activities to do in a small town like Laramie. Laramie is very cold & windy which makes for a lot of cold walks to campus and being indoors a lot.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Individual Value: F

UW is a nice school with friendly students

Nov 24 2012Communications
UW is a nice school with friendly students and staff. Like most students it will be "good enough". After september there is only one thing to do in laramie...get drunk either at the bars or house parties, the drug scene is also pretty big i guess that could be because we are so close to denver. If you want to do something other than drink or bang meth i would not recomend this school. Also be careful about who you choose to be friends with, we have 4000 freshman and about 1500 seniors UW is pretty easy to get into but is very hard to stay in, theres a good chance that most of your freshman year friends will not be with you if you graduate.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016