StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Rochester

The University of Rochester

UR Campus News
Congrats class of 2008!

May 16, 2008
“It would be hard to imagine UR sports this year without the members of the class of 2008. The seniors' leadership and experience has been a catalyst for the success of many of the Yellowjacket teams this year.
For the men's soccer team, a lot of the credit for its Sweet 16 NCAA tournament appearance goes to the team's eight seniors.”

Importance
Hanging on for dear life

May 16, 2008
“Students watched, transfixed, as the daring climber made his way up the treacherous vines, clinging desperately to the gravelly side of the academic building, tiny fists clenched in determination. Who was this rogue adventurer, so bravely risking life and limb? Where did he come from, and why was this his chosen task? So many questions remain unanswered, for the furry raccoon, alas, did not communicate well with his human counterparts.”

Importance
The ultimate chord of your college concerto

May 16, 2008
“Approaching the end of four years, a reserve of memories swell in my mind as I look back at the time that will hereby be referred to only in the past tense as "college." Not college, per say, but "college," as in my experience of college, unique only to myself and to no one else - just as yours is to you - yet so full of other people, places and things that it would be an injustice to give myself even the slightest bit of credit for turning these four years into the what they've become.”

Importance
Learning how to leave your legacy

May 16, 2008
“Throughout my adolescence, I accumulated a distinct picture of the "true" college experience. My cousin taught me that college girls were "easy and loose for an ear and a masseuse." And my best friend's brother, who attended a state school in the south, told me that he had two girlfriends at the same time.”

Importance
The certainty seen in sports is not fungible to college

May 16, 2008
“In this day and age, overstimulated by the wealth of information at our disposal, we tend to rely heavily on predictions. With the NFL draft but a few weeks ago and primary season still continuing (well, at least for one party), armchair sports writers and pundits lay down their selections as to who will get picked in the first round and which candidate will win which state.”

Importance
College life failed to live up to all the adults' hype

May 16, 2008
“What is it about these four years that should make us want to cry when it's over? That our friends won't be living next door? That we'll have to actually earn a living to buy food? That we can no longer sleep until noon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays? That we have to worry about actual, real police instead of security guards?
Apparently, it's all of that.”

Importance
College is only another step in determining a purpose

May 16, 2008
“I'm not really sure why I chose to apply or attend UR. My reasons at the time were lame and flimsy, and I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I asked the Admissions Office a few questions, but they weren't very truthful; then again, I probably asked the wrong questions.”

Importance
"Bad" college habits help a UR student survive

May 16, 2008
“In psychology class, I learned that the fastest period of growth in life happens when we are first born. Well, the person who said that obviously didn't study college students. The amount that I have grown and learned over these past four years is unrivaled at any other juncture in my life.”

Parking considers booting again

May 16, 2008
“In an effort to slow the influx of illegal parking on the River Campus, UR Parking and Transportation Services is looking into reinstating its policy of booting illegally parked cars after the fourth unpaid ticket. According to Vice President of Facilities and Services Richard Pifer, the transition would not be made until at least the beginning of next semester, and it would only be possible if UR receives an exemption from a 2-year-old city ordinance that currently bans booting vehicles parked on private property.”

D-Day is tested

May 16, 2008
“According to Medical Emergency Response Team's "D-Day Impact Report," released last week by Director of Operations of River Campus MERT and junior Laura Bailer, there were less calls to MERT during this year's Dandelion Day on Saturday, April 26, than in either of the previous two years.”

News Topics