StudentsReview :: Carnegie Mellon University

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA

CMU Campus News

Importance
Justin gains more beliebers with new music
Jan 24, 2016
“With a new look, different musical taste, and better attitude, Bieber garners the approval of many
Jade Crockem
(email)
It seems like just yesterday a young Canadian boy from YouTube was telling us one time that we were the girl of his prepubescent dreams. A lot of time has passed since then, and we’ve watched Justin Bieber go from a kid in a purple hoodie with hair in his eyes to kind of a tool. From getting arrested for a DUI to leaving a monkey in another country, J-Biebs seems to have done it all. Just when it seemed like things couldn’t get any better for the singer, he made a turnaround reminiscent of Britney Spears circa 2007 following his roast on Comedy Central. He apologized for acting like such a brat, but who could blame the guy? He’d been thrown into the spotlight at a young age and if you’ve ever seen his father’s Twitter, you know he doesn’t have the best role models around. However what’s even more exciting than his becoming less of a jerk is his change in musical style.
Since singing Chris Brown songs on YouTube, Justin Bieber has always been influenced by hip hop and R&B. However...

Importance
Women’s basketball overcomes slow start to top Oberlin
“Ian Tanaya
(email)
The Carnegie Mellon women’s basketball team played Oberlin College on Saturday. The hard-fought contest ended in a 73–64 win for the Tartans, improving their record to 6–0 for the season.
Oberlin got off to a 5–0 start before the Tartans made their first basket. Though the Yeowomen were able to get off to a fast start, junior guard Jackie Hudepohl’s scoring helped the Tartans close the gap during the course of the first period. The Tartans even managed to take the lead a few times before the quarter finished with a 14–14 tie.
In the second quarter, Oberin once again worked up a lead, this time keeping a tight defense against the Tartans.
Junior center and forward Lisa Murphy kept the Tartans afloat during the period, getting the Tartans through their largest deficit of nine points and keeping the game much closer at 36–33 Oberlin going into halftime.
The third quarter saw Oberlin extend their lead with a few three-point shots. Senior forward Liza Otto contributed to much...

Importance
Millennials deserve more credit for rocking the workplace
“Dec 6, 2015
(email)
This past summer, I discovered the term "Millennial" and its many connotations. I was a local camp counselor responsible for about twenty children. After a long day of running back and forth from the various activities, the bathroom every ten minutes, and one trip to the nurse’s office, I was completely exhausted. Just as I was about to leave, my manger told me: “Wow, you are not your typical Millennial.” At the time, I was slightly confused and unsure whether her remark was complimentary. I understand better now, but I'm still unsure if I entirely agree with her use of the word.
“Millennial,” coined in 1991 as another name for Generation Y, has faced a significant amount of controversy. Technically speaking, it refers to those born between 1980 and 2000. Older generations accuse Millennials of having no drive, never leaving their childhood homes, and being inco...

Importance
Advocates push for better biking on campus
“Brian Trimboli
(email)
As bicycling becomes more popular around the country and in Pittsburgh specifically — according to non-profit and bicyclist advocacy group Bike Pittsburgh , the rate of Pittsburghers commuting by bike increased by 408 percent in 2014 — both the local government and the university have taken steps to change how bikers make their way around the city.
In the fall of last year, for example, the city announced the installation of artist-designed bicycle racks in the Cultural District downtown after implementing two new miles of protected bike lanes earlier that year. The new lanes were created as part of the Green Lane Project 2.0, an initiative from national organization PeopleForBikes .
These reforms play into Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto’s [“Complete Streets” initiative]( https://thetartan.o ...

Letter from the Editor-in-Chief and Publisher: New Letter to the Editor Policy
“Dec 12, 2015
Dear readers of The Tartan,
In the last issue of 2015, we published a series of letters to the editor about the black student experience at Carnegie Mellon. When these letters were published, it was brought to our attention that the letters had been edited in the production process, which is not only against our policy, but highly unethical. Though the editing was an innocent mistake that resulted from a training gap, it is regrettable and unacceptable.
The message of the letters was altered when the letters were edited without the permission of the authors. We at The Tartan are deeply sorry that this happened, and are taking all of the necessary steps to ensure that it will not happen again.
The letters to the editor we publish are intended to be a platform from which student voices from our community can be heard. By editing the letters, The Tartan violated the trust of the student body. In light of this, we, Brian Trimboli and Laura Scherb, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher...

Horoscopes
“horoscopes
Maryyann Landlord
(email)
Lemon and Pear: For maximum brain sharpness and improvement in enthusiasm, the fiery Aries should eat a sweet pear mixed with the juice of a sour lemon.
Banana: High in potassium to help your digestion, bananas are the key to a healthy Taurus.
Mango: This fruit invokes high energy, so tango with a mango for a bright and lively day.
Pineapple: Pineapples help in organizing thoughts and encourage spontaneity. A pineapple a day keeps finals at bay.
Orange: The power of the orange keeps you calm and patient all day. It will make you work harder than usual.
Coconut: Milky and refreshing, the coconut will help you feel like you can take on the world.
Peach: The perfect fruit to eat with cream. Start your day off right with a fruit high in vitamin C.
Black grapes: Add an aesthetic sense to your life with the zing from a bowl of black grapes.
Strawberry: Strawberries are naturally heart-shaped and enhance a Sagittarius's love life.
Apple: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Apples are full of fiber and great for the heart.
Papaya: Aquarius needs to keep its system clean and keep the brain healthy with the papaya fruit.
Watermelon: The watermelon nourishes Pisces' hydration needs and is a great way to celebrate the day, no matter what time of year.”

Letter to the Editor: The black experience at CMU
“Dec 6, 2015
(email)
Our university prides itself on using collaboration as a gateway to innovation. This is evident in our group work oriented classes as we are taught that teamwork is a critical skill to have, yet we fail to take responsibility for our teammates. Instead their issues are there own. For too long we have deemed our classmates lack of “success” their problem. This is no different from making racial issues faced by blacks also “their problem”. We have miserably failed to see that problems faced by our fellow peers are our problem as well. The success of the group is not based on one or a majority of the individuals, but the collective. The same line of thinking should be adopted when considering the injustices faced by POC in particular blacks. Helping me, not doing it all for me, or being concerned about my issues does not in any capacity have negative repercussion to you. Helping someone that is behind does not impede your ability to learn more; in fact taking time to help someone with ...

*Milk Like Sugar* at Studio 201
“Carnegie Mellon School of Drama brings life to dark 2011 play
Ariel Hoffmaier
(email)
Even the journey to Studio 201 seemed perfectly suited to the experience that was Milk Like Sugar , a play about an underprivileged 16-year-old girl who must decide whether to follow through on her friends’ pregnancy pact. When our Lyft dropped us off at a seemingly deserted warehouse, we were near positive the location was wrong and we’d been stranded God knows where. But thankfully, Carnegie Mellon is a master of signs. We followed a trail of logoed arrows, which circled almost 360 degrees around the building and finally arrived at an unassuming door marked “ENTER” in spray-painted letters. This one actually opened, and once inside, we were given our tickets and ushered into the largest, coolest freight elevator I’ve ever seen.
When we joined the half full audience, I felt that we’d stumbled upon a niche experimental theater piece. The set itself was immediately eye-catching. A wall of cardboard Pepsi boxes surrounded several monitors which blasted Nicki Minaj music videos, a ...

Importance
Row House makes a boring movie bearable
Jan 24, 2016
“The fun cinema environment makes sitting through a slow, older film more exciting
Lindsey McClary
(email)
If you think that “French v. Hong Kong New Wave” sounds inaccessible and pretentious, you’re right. Even so, I was compelled by my love of film and French to leave my warm dorm room for the chilly streets of Lawrenceville Friday night. Full disclosure, I could only sit through one of Row House cinema’s four screenings of both French and Hong Kong new wave films. Don’t get me wrong; the theater was lovely, clean, and entirely functional. The film, however, was hard to get through (potentially due to my underdeveloped film knowledge — pun intended).
I’m pretty clueless when it comes to film-making and film history, so here’s the relatively minimal context I learned for this film screening: New Wave is a film movement that is characterized by significant innovations to the medium (like location shooting) as well as a uniquely socially conscious voice centered around cultural and political issues of the time. French New Wave is attributed to filmmakers of the 1950s and ‘60s who were ...

Fantasy
“Sarah Gutekunst
(email)
As we all know, my loyalty to my favorite player is as fickle as fantasy football itself. And as much as I loved Jeremy Langford two weeks ago, his moment in the limelight is over. He still scored nine points in week 11 and 10 points on the Thanksgiving Day return of Matt Forte. While that's not nothing, it's much less than the 29 points that made me fall in love with Langford, that big teddy bear. (Get it? Bear?)
The real star of my heart right now is Russell Wilson. In week 11, he had his first three-touchdown game of the season and threw for 260 yards. This all amounted to a 25-point week, his best of the season. I still lost to Team "the bo jacks" 69–62. So that was pretty funny.
Week 12 was very interesting. Seattle Seahawks versus Pittsburgh Steelers. Team Ya Gurl Gutie versus team Bofa Deez Nuts. Russell Wilson versus Ben Roethlisberger. And as fate and luck would have it, the Seahawks, Ya Gurl Gutie, and Russell Wilson came out on top. Roethlisberger may have scored 21...

(showing 10) Show All