StudentsReview :: Brown University

Brown University

Brown Campus News

Ruffin ’17: American heathens
Oct 14, 2016
“Colin Kaepernick is in the news again. It was announced Wednesday that the now-starting quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers has restructured his 2014 contract. The old contract had already given the team significant leverage with a fi ve-year guarantee that only applies if he is injured, but this new contract eliminates the injury provision, allowing the 49ers to cut Kaepernick at any time over the next two years without owing him a cent.
Though the new contract could simply be business as usual for the NFL, it is hard to separate the timing of this restructuring from the good deal of grief Kaepernick has caused his team for the first two months of the season.
Since Aug. 14, Kaepernick has refused to stand when the national anthem is played before games. Kaepernick has said he began his protest to shed light on injustices faced by marginalized U.S. citizens, especially African-Americans, who are disproportionately affected by police brutality. According to Kaepernick, “People are dying in vain because this country is not holding (its) end of the bargain up, as far as liberty and justice, liberty to everybody.”
While the quarterback’s protest went largely unnoticed during its first two weeks, it has dominated many news cycles since, and not just in sports publications or sports radio shows. Kaepernick’s demonstrations have entered larger national discourse, earning segments in popular cable news shows as well as articles and op-eds in major publications.
Many pundits have spoken out to excoriate Kaepernick for an alleged lack of patriotism. In a segment on Fox News Channel’s show “The Five” that aired Sept. 6, show co-host Eric Bolling prompted his four other co-hosts to discuss Kaepernick’s protest. Perhaps the most striking and offensive moment in the brief segment was Bolling’s claim that Kaepernick had converted to Islam. Though Bolling’s co-hosts did not seem to be familiar with Kaepernick’s conversion, Bolling is not alone in his belief that Kaepernick has recently become a Muslim, as various members of the far-right media and blogosphere have also written conspiracy theories stating that Kaepernick’s protest stems from his identity as a Muslim.
Why would anyone contend that Colin Kaepernick — or anyone — is Muslim with the only substantiation bei ng his refusal to honor the national anthem in the traditional way? Bolling’s assertion highlights the Islamophobic sentiment that to be Muslim is to be inherently un-American. Furthermore, conflating one’s religious identity with one’s Americanness undermines the central ideals for which our country strives.
It is a commonly held belief that the United States was founded as a nation with religious freedom and tolerance among its core principles. To support these claims, many look to the decisions made by the founding fathers to eliminate language and imagery that explicitly refer to Christianity from federal documents. For example, there is no mention of God or Jesus in the Constitution. But it is incorrect to assume that all citizens of the early republic subscribed to the idea that the Christian church and state should remain separate institutions because there were no explicit references to Christianity in these federal documents. While there is no mention of God in these federal documents, 12 of the 13 original state constitutions made explicit references to God and Christianity.
Furthermore, while there has never been an official religion of the United States, the idea of ethical Christianity has impacted the laws and morals of the United States since the days of the early republic. Just as early Americans were hypocritical and selective in their application of religious tolerance and freedom, the Islamophobic criticism of Kaepernick’s protest evidences the paradoxical nature of being an American. While religious tolerance is a central pillar of U.S. government, American history is littered with violations of that principle.
These definitions of American identity have historically been used to exclude and oppress non-Protestant religious identities. For example, Chinese immigrants were deemed un-American and denied citizenship with the passage of the Chinese Exclusion Act amid growing fear of Eastern religions by white Americans. A prominent advocate for the Chinese Exclusion Act, Senator James G. Blaine, wrote that the Chinese “reek with impurity” and were “sowing the seeds of moral and physical disease.”
Critics said Kaepernick had converted to Islam because his beliefs and the actions he has taken are considered to be un-American, and Americanness is perceived by many as inextricable from Christianity. Assuming Kaepernick is a Muslim is in line with the same sentiments that led to the legal codification of anti-Chinese discrimination and other hypocritical applications of religious freedom throughout U.S. history. While the language that is used may be different — heathen versus Muslim — the message that is being conveyed is the same.
Taneil Ruffin ’17 can be reached at .”

Schapiro ’19: Even-year reality
Oct 14, 2016
“As a New York Mets fan, I’m fairly used to picking a new playoff team to root for every October. It’s a simple process, consisting primarily of a weighing of one team’s attributes and shortcomings against those of another. It’s taught me a lot about playoff teams. And it’s also the reason that late Wednesday night, as Aroldis Chapman struck out Brandon Belt to send the Chicago Cubs to the National League Championship Series and eliminate the San Francisco Giants, I was nothing short of thrilled.
Outside of the New York Yankees, whom I hate on principle, there are three teams I simply refuse to root for: the Giants, the St. Louis Cardinals and the Kansas City Royals. For interrelated reasons, I can’t stand these teams. I grit my teeth in anger when the Mets have to play them. I consider them mere annoyances in the otherwise pristine fabric of baseball — through very little fault of their own.
If you’re a fan of any team besides the Giants, Cardinals or Royals, you know what I’m talking about. You’ll be playing the Royals, for example, and their leadoff hitter will hit a slow ground ball that trickles through the infield for a single.
“They got lucky,” you’ll think, angrily. But on TV, the broadcasters will quickly correct you. “These Royals are relentless,” the play-by-play commentator will say. “Always putting the ball in play.”
“Working deep counts, fouling off tough pitches,” the other commentator will chime in. “Then they put the bat on the ball and make things happen.”
This is merely an example of a prevalent plague in sports coverage today — one that is irksome beyond words to fans who understand the game and that allows fans who don’t to pretend that they do. That plague is the rise of false-narrative sports journalism. Besides being beyond irritating for opposing fans, false-narrative coverage defeats the fundamental point of sports: that the narratives should create themselves spontaneously and play themselves out through competition.
It’s also the reason that all three of these teams are on my blacklist.
The false narratives surrounding these three teams are largely similar. All are variations on the theme that one team is objectively the best: that one team’s tactics, morals and fan base are superior to all others and that these teams deserve to be showered with unrelenting praise because of it.
For the Cardinals, the narrative revolves around the fans. Cardinals fans wholeheartedly believe that they are the best fans in baseball. If you Google “Cardinals best fans,” you’ll find an article claiming that the author has “never … heard a Cardinals fan refer to him or herself as ‘one of the best fans in baseball.’” But just three results down, you’ll find an article entitled , “An open letter to Cubs fans from the best fans in baseball,” written, of course, by a Cardinals fan. The opinion is demonstrably false: The Cardinals have been winning consistently for more than 50 years, so any argument that Cardinals fans stick with their team during good times and bad has no basis. But the belief persists.
The Royals, on the other hand, are “America’s Team,” at least when they’re good. Google “Royals America’s Team,” and you’ll find an article   claiming that “you won’t hear the Royals call themselves ‘America’s Team.’” Two results down, you’ll find a post on a Royals fan blog entitled, “The Kansas City Royals are America’s Team.” When the Mets went into Kansas City for the 2015 World Series, the two teams weren’t on equal footing — far from it. The Mets were the big bad bulli es from New York trying to stomp on the destiny of the plain, country-boy Royals, who had worked harder than anyone else and been through more trying circumstances than any other team just to reach the World Series. The Mets were Goliath; the Royals were David.
Then there are the Giants, whose narrative is similar to the Royals’ but with one extra element. That extra kick, of course, is “even-year magic.” I prefer a more profane term for it, but the essence remains the same: The Giants won the World Series in 2010, 2012 and 2014 and seemed inevitably poised to do so again this year, before luck finally fell in their opponent’s direction. The Giants’ loss Wednesday night struck a major blow against false-narrative sports coverage, one from which the Giants may not recover. That’s most of the reason I was so happy about it.
By ignoring the facts of the game and focusing on things like the Giants’ making the playoffs every other year or the Royals’ deserving to win because they play in Kansas City, sports media outlets detract from the spontaneity that sports embody. Wednesday’s Giants loss won’t end the practice, but it certainly was fun to finally see the Giants lose when they were supposed to win.
James Schapiro ’19 is rooting for the Cubs. He can be reached at”

Providence, Guatemala City sign sister city agreement
Oct 14, 2016
“A visiting delegation from Guatemala City met with Providence officials Wednesday to sign an agreement that will formalize economic and cultural exchange between the two cities. The signing of the agreement on the first day of the summit marked the beginning of intensified efforts to increase trade and cooperation between the now-sister cities.
Providence is home to more than 21,000 residents of Guatemalan descent, as well as the Guatemalan Consulate for the New England region, according to Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza and a press release from the mayor’s office. The sister city agreement will allow for Providence to become the natural gateway from Guatemala to New England.
“We have a number of cultural and economic ties that already exist,” Elorza said. “We have that foundation, and we want to build off it.”
The foreign delegation was led by the mayor of Guatemala City, Álvaro Arzú, who is also the former president of Guatemala and is renowned for his work spearheading the Guatemalan peace process 20 years ago.
Efforts for exchange between the two cities will include the pursuit of direct flights between Providence and Guatemala City and possible increased use of Providence’s port, Elorza said. “We are investing in and looking to expand our port,” he said.
Following the official signing ceremony on Wednesday, officials from Providence and the Guatemala delegation met Thursday morning to begin a summit between small businesses in Guatemala City and distributors in Providence. The vendors, many of whom are part of a collective called Guate a Mano, displayed various wares and designs as samples for distributors.
Given Providence’s historical textile legacy and the evolution of the textile industry in Guatemala, there are numerous opportunities for craftspeople and designers in Providence and Guatemala City to collaborate, said Stephanie Fortunato, director of the Providence Department of Art, Culture and Tourism. Preserving cultural heritage and promoting sustainability concern the industries in both cities.
“We want to start to sell these in the U.S.,” said Claudia Dougherty, one of the founders of grete knitwear, who hails from Guatemala. Grete knitwear currently sells blankets on Amazon and hopes to expand by finding distributors at the summit.
“This is a small family business,” Dougherty said. “We have our baby products and our knits, and we know there are many possibilities in Providence and the U.S. for our products.”
Through commerce, Providence distributors may augment cultural exchange between Providence and Guatemala.
“Our company is about producing products that are 100 percent Guatemalan,” said Roberto de la Fuente of Clio’s Food Craft. Clio’s Food Craft products include infused honey, roasted coffee and other regional products. “We’re trying to promote sustainability for rural areas in our country,” he added. The company would like to pursue direct contact with costumers in the United States whenever possible in order to avoid going through trade middlemen.
“It’s all about putting Guatemala on the map,” said Augusto Castillo de Ros, a handbag designer for his brand, Augusto Castillo. “It would be great to find a distributor or someone interested in representing the brand here in the states.”
In his opening remarks at the beginning of the summit, Elorza elaborated on the virtues of the educational and culinary systems in Providence. He listed Brown, the Rhode Island School of Design and the College of Culinary Arts at Johnson and Wales University as potential centers for educational exchange.
“There’s also a culinary exchange,” Elorza said of the possibility of involving Johnson and Wales. “We have a strong culinary scene; they have a strong culinary scene.”
“There are students already studying both in Providence and Guatemala City,” Fortunato said. “That can be strengthened by engaging more faculty who might have connections in their research and their scholarship.”
The summit also includes an archaeology panel Friday at the John Carter Brown Library and a Guatemalan cooking class at Hotel Providence. It will culminate Saturday in an Artisano Expo, a separate event that will allow Guatemala-based businesses to showcase their goods and services.”

Al-Salem ’17: You’re still a writer if you’re bad at papers
Oct 14, 2016
“Before I arrived at Brown, I used to   call myself a writer. Like many others who dabbled in writing, I did not necessarily like my writing style and would throw the occasional pity party, but I still identified as a writer. Now, as a senior, any confidence I may have had as a writer has been tried and tested to the extreme. This is primarily because, at Brown and other colleges, academic writing is generally considered the be-all and end-all of writing as a whole.
I am not an academic person. Everything about me, from how I speak during section to how I construct my arguments, is not academic or scholarly. This has always been to my detriment: I often come across as less intellectual than my fellow classmates because I don’t say words like “juxtaposed” and “homogenous” with every other breath. Instead, when I discuss my reaction to a reading or a professor’s argument, I talk like I would to a friend. I hate abstract theories that take three or four reads to understand and hypotheticals that would never actually apply in the real world. I tend to argue in basic terminology because that’s how my brain processes information.
My discomfort with academic writing was compounded by the fact that my high school education involved teachers accepting downloaded Wikipedia articles as essays. As a non-native English speaker who grew up abroad, I did not have the same training as my peers in the language. I still struggle with grammar because it was never taught to me properly, and so I feel intense embarrassment when professors point out my errors in papers.
I’m not saying I am disillusioned with academic writing because college has made me feel dumb: I am just disappointed that college destroyed my self-confidence as a writer. While I know on a superficial level that no one is equating academic writing to writing as a whole, I can’t help but feel the blow every time I struggle to phrase my opinions in a suitably academic fashion.
But I am grateful to have other outlets for my eclectic writing style. As a writer for The Herald and Post-, I never have to force myself to sound smart. I type like I speak, and my editors see this as both a negative and a positive: They may have to tirelessly edit my run-on sentences and grammar mistakes, but at the same time I don’t think my writing is hard to read and understand. I would like to think that my writing is accessible and relatable to all readers.
Yet I can’t translate those qualities to my papers. When I write passionately for one paper, I receive feedback telling me to be careful about sounding too colloquial. The next time around, in fear of sounding colloquial, I end up writing a paper I do not feel proud of, one that contains just enough ‘academic’ phrases and syntax to pass. I submit every paper with a wince because I have no idea how my bullshit will be received.
While I’ve survived in college thus far, I do not believe the changes in my academic writing reflect my overall growth as a writer. This is ironic considering the WRIT requirement is meant to encourage this very improvement. As a humanities major, my every semester has been filled with paper-heavy WRIT courses, and all I’ve really learned from them is how to make my papers look more academic.
I am not arguing that academic writing is useless and we should just throw out years of education and conditioning. I am simply using this space to address those who, like me, feel that the feedback on their academic writing has weakened their confidence as a writer. Whatever it is you write, be it prose or poetry, please know that writing encompasses a huge stylistic spectrum with an even wider audience. While your run-on sentences might be frowned upon in an academic paper, remember that there’s some reader out there who likes how those very sentences invoke a sense of excitement and involvement. Just look at James Joyce!
Sara Al-Salem ’17 can be reached at .
Please send responses to this opinion to and other op-eds to .”

Crew shows well in season-opening regatta
Oct 14, 2016
“Both the men’s and top-ranked women’s crew teams opened their fall seasons with impressive performances at the Head of the Housatonic Saturday — Bruno won the collegiate women’s eight and placed second in the collegiate men’s eight.
The women’s team continued its dominance at the Head of the Housatonic, winning the race for the third straight year. The three-time defending Ivy League champions bested their only Ancient Eight competitors in the race: Yale, which finished second.
“I thought it was a pretty good start,” said captain Alia Shafi ’17. “But we obviously have a lot of work left to do before the spring season.”
Brown’s first boat outpaced the 33-boat field, finishing the 2.7-mile course in 13:54.6, a full nine seconds ahead of Yale’s top entry. Brown’s second and third entries finished eighth and ninth by sneaking across the finish line just ahead of Massachusetts’ top entry, while Brown’s fourth entry placed 13th.
After a season in which the women defended their Ivy League team points trophy while finishing sixth in the NCAA Championships, the team can hold high expectations for the upcoming season despite an influx of rookie rowers.
“We graduated 12 seniors last year, but I think we are still setting our goals high,” Shafi said. “But there are definitely a lot of fast teams out there this year.”
The men enjoyed a similarly strong performance Saturday, with the Bears’ top entry finishing in 12:33.2, a speedy enough performance to edge out Harvard’s B and A boats, which finished the course in 12:34.5 and 12:35.3, respectively. The boat’s time was good enough for second place, but Yale’s top entry grabbed first, finishing a full 15 seconds ahead.
“We were expecting for Yale and Harvard to be fast,” said coxswain Benson Stevens ’18. “While we have some work to do to catch up to Yale, it was good to be ahead of Harvard and to be in the mix in general for the first race of the season.”
The Head of the Housatonic allowed Brown to demonstrate its depth, as it placed five boats in the race. Bruno’s B and C boats finished seventh and ninth, respectively, while the D and E boats placed 15th and 22nd, respectively, out of the 25 total entries.
“A few of our other boats were able to beat their respective crew from Harvard and Yale last weekend, which is something we are proud of as a team,” said captain Finn Meeks ’17. “Last week was a starting point. We all know that our job is to keep pushing each other to get faster in practice and get ready to put our bows in front at the Charles.”
Brown competes next at the 52nd Head of the Charles Regatta Oct. 22 and 23.”

Women’s soccer downs Crusaders in last nonconference matchup
Oct 14, 2016
“Following a 2-1 win against Princeton Saturday, the women’s soccer team brought home another victory in an away game against the Holy Cross Crusaders, beating the hosts 3-2 Tuesday night.
“Coming off a high with our win over Princeton, it was important for us to regain focus and come into this match with the same energy and competitive spirit,” said Head Coach Kia McNeill.
Indeed, the team came out strong in its final non-conference game of the 2016 season.
Eight minutes into play, Carly Gould ’17 opened scoring with her third goal of the season during an offensive break set up by Abby Carchio ’20 and Jennifer Caruso ’19.
Holy Cross’ Andj Seslija responded 20 minutes later with a goalscoring header off of a corner from Carly Flahive to even up the proceedings.
Toward the end of the first half, Maclaine Lehan ’18 gave a touch pass to Gould who transferred the ball to Katy Schmidt ’18 inside the 6-yard box. Schmidt netted a header — her first career goal — giving Bruno a 2-1 advantage going into the locker room at halftime.
The first-half fireworks were uncharacteristic for a Brown team that has found as much success on defense as it has struggled on offense. In eight games in September, the Bears scored four goals and allowed just one.
But the scoring continued after the intermission, as Celia Story ’19 tallied Brown’s third goal of the contest in the 63rd minute to put the team on top 3-1.
Attempting to narrow the widening margin, Holy Cross defender Lucy Acuna proceeded to score an unassisted deflection against Brown goalie Rylee Shumway ’18 two minutes later. In her first start between the posts this season, Shumway stopped eight shots. Shumway’s presence in the goal is a departure from the normal setup with Christine Etzel ’19. Etzel played for the first half of the contest, making one save.
A victory secured largely by players who have seen less time on the field this season “just goes to show our depth as a team and how hard everyone has been working,” Etzel said.
McNeill echoed this statement. “The win against Holy Cross was a great feat for the team. Anytime you can play a competitive non-conference game in the area it is beneficial for the team because it allows us to try players in different positions, new plays and just hone in on different tactics we might use in conference play. ”
With a home game against Harvard coming up Saturday, Etzel was encouraged by the win. “It’s a great confidence builder going into this weekend,” she said.
McNeill also stressed the importance of self-confidence heading into the Ivy matchup.
“It is no secret that we have struggled to find the back of the net this year, so scoring three beautiful goals in the run of play surely gives us some confidence going into the Harvard game this weekend,” she said.
Bruno will host the Crimson at Stevenson-Pincince Field Saturday at 3:30 p.m.”

Gilmore talks industrialized punishment
Oct 14, 2016
“Structural racism is a system “whose transformative properties have to be changed because we’re living in it; we’re not across the street from it,” said Ruth Wilson Gilmore, director of the Center for Place, Culture and Politics at the City University of New York, Thursday night at an event in the Granoff Center’s Martinos Auditorium. Gilmore’s lecture on industrialized punishment was the seventh in a seven-part series called “How Structural Racism Works.”
The series was organized by Tricia Rose, professor of Africana studies, associate dean of the faculty for special initiatives and the director of the Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity in America. The goal of the series was “to learn about one of the most — if not the most — pressing challenges facing our society,” said Provost Richard Locke P’17. The program was launched because “we were, ourselves, as a community, grappling with issues of race and racism,” Locke said.
The United States is first in both rate and absolute number of people incarcerated, Gilmore said. There are about 700 inmates per every one million people in the general population. In addition to the 2.4 million people locked up, there are another seven to eight million people under supervision, she added.
There are 65 million people in this country who, because of convictions, are “forbidden from having certain kinds of jobs, and the jobs tend to be the very kinds of jobs that modestly educated people” can have, Gilmore said.
Gilmore framed her talk on industrialized punishment into four components: land, labor, capital and legal authority.
The first component is “changing the combination of particular kinds of people using particular kinds of land,” she said, referring to the gentrification of both urban and rural spaces.
The second component of industrialized punishment is labor, a phenomenon in which waves of “modestly educated people in the prime of life” are cut loose from livable employment when they are imprisoned and are no longer able to support their families. Subsequently, people who are formerly incarcerated are denied eligibility for certain jobs, and the box on job applications asking if someone has been convicted of a felony perpetuates discrimination.
The “Ban the Box” movement has gained prominence among student activists. Student demands with regard to the Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan included a request to remove the box from Brown’s application.
The third component is capital, meaning the shift in the use of public funds from public schooling and welfare to insidious fortifications for the incarceration system, Gilmore said.
The last component for industrialized punishment is the legal authority for the state to organize these systems. While decisions made by President Lyndon B. Johnson and President Bill Clinton are broadly viewed as responsible for the development of mass incarceration, the “United States criminal justice system is made up of 53 jurisdictions for prisons (and) 3,100 for county jails,” which also have a hand in industrialized punishment, Gilmore said. Each one of these jurisdictions passes and enforces laws that perpetuate the system of mass incarceration.
Structural racism also stems from our capitalist system, Gilmore said. Capitalism relies on organized hierarchies, which are linked with racialized thinking, Gilmore said.
Gilmore compared the prison-industrial complex to the military-industrial complex in that it requires potential enemies “who must always be fought and can never be vanquished.” There is a vested interest for vendors that supply prisons, as well as for the workers employed by them, to maintain mass incarceration and its revenues.
The majority of the money spent on mass incarceration goes to wages and salaries, Gilmore said, adding that it is a service industry that requires mass employment to run. The second greatest expenditure goes toward paying debts, as prisons have been required to expand to meet health and safety standards as the number of inmates grows.
While people view private prisons as the biggest beneficiary of mass incarceration, “there are other private corporations that are beneficiaries of the fact that humans — on a scale unprecedented in the world — are locked up in cages,” Gilmore said. Vendors providing food, telephone service, video visits and canteens to prisoners can manipulate prices. Because only authorized dealers can provide these goods, the vendors add huge markups.
“Capitalism requires inequality, and racism enshrines inequality,” Gilmore said.”

Men’s soccer falls to cross-town rival Providence in overtime
Oct 07, 2016
“Just a few days before its second Ivy League game against Princeton this weekend, the men’s soccer team faced local rival Providence Wednesday in a matchup that truly went the distance. After a scoreless 90 minutes, Brown (5-4-1, 0-0-1 Ivy) entered the first overtime ready to dig deep in hopes of securing the win. But the Friars (6-5-0) found the back of the net first and held on to take the game, 1-0.
This game marks the fourth consecutive meeting between Brown and Providence that has gone into overtime. In last year’s matchup, defender Jack Hagstrom ’19 lifted the Bears to the 2-1 victory. But this time, the Bears had major difficulties finishing their chances on goal, which was the main factor in their defeat. Additionally, with an extremely important game looming against Princeton, Head Coach Patrick Laughlin seemed to prefer keeping the starters fresh and played them sparingly.
“Today we rested a lot of players since we have an Ivy League game on Saturday,” said Matthew Chow ’19. “We used many guys today, so I guess that was a different approach. But our mindset was still the same: to win the game and win every battle.”
Given the teams’ history, playing Providence remains a meaningful game for the Bears. And this reality showed, with each team gunning from the starting whistle. Just in the first half alone, Brown recorded 10 shots on goal. Over the same period, Providence goalie Ben Saguljic allowed zero goals and denied two Brown corner kicks.
In the second half, Providence responded with five shots on goal and three corner kick opportunities. Each of these chances required solid defensive efforts by both goalkeeper Erik Hanson ’17 — who tallied three saves on the day — and the Bears’ defensive line in order to clear the ball away.
While the defense remained unyielding, the biggest issue Brown faced was finishing.
“I thought the team played pretty well, especially against a tough opponent like Providence,” Chow said. “We battled hard, and we had many chances. Again, we just needed to finish our chances, and that has been a deciding factor and pattern over the last couple of games.”
Specifically, in the 53rd minute, a free kick from outside the 18-yard box taken by veteran Nico Lozada ’18 pinged off the crossbar. Lozada had another shot in the contest, but it, too, missed its mark, going wide of the goal.
In another missed opportunity, Chow could not finish a quality chance in the first half after Lozada headed on a through-ball after some nice combination play. Chow’s resulting shot could not clear a charging Providence keeper, who successfully cut off all the angles, leaving Chow with little room to aim. The ball deflected off the goalie and out of bounds.
Next, the team will travel to Princeton and face the Tigers at 7 p.m. in a pivotal Ivy League matchup for Bruno. The Bears will hope to secure their first Ivy win after their conference opener versus Columbia this past weekend ended in a 1-1 draw. The following Saturday, Brown will host the Crimson in the first stretch this season without a mid-week matchup. The team hopes the down time will provide a valuable opportunity to practice, plan and — most importantly — sharpen up mentally and physically.
“There’s a lot of guys (who are) unhealthy and injured at the moment,” Chow said. “It’s just part of the grind I guess.””

Blasberg ’18: Four weeks without Tom Brady
Oct 07, 2016
“One last title change and one last update before the greatest quarterback of this generation returns to the field.
I’m glad the Patriots lost to the Buffalo Bills last week. I’m glad they were humiliated by a bad team at home. The Patriots needed to be humbled. The indicator of a good team, in any sport, is the way it responds to defeat.
Historically, the Patriots have a tendency to take potentially demoralizing losses and turn them into positives. Every season the Patriots have won the Super Bowl, they lost one defining game during the regular season that served as a turning point.
Going back 15 years, the 2001 Patriots lost their second game of the season and saw Tom Brady first take leadership of the team after Drew Bledsoe was injured. After that loss, the tenor of the season shifted. The team started proving its grit and opportunistic savvy on the field, which materialized in a blowout win over the mighty Indianapolis Colts the week after Bledsoe’s injury. For the rest of the season, Brady rolled with the momentum and confidence the victory against the Colts created.
In the Patriots’ second Super Bowl season, their defining loss came on opening day in Buffalo, where they were shut out 31-0. The Patriots released fan and player favorite Lawyer Milloy just five days prior to this game, and he was promptly picked up by the opposing Bills. Milloy proceeded to mercilessly thrash his former team in a game that left everyone questioning the judgment of Head Coach Bill Belichick. But the team came together after the loss and played with a chip on its shoulder for the rest of the season, winning 14 of the remaining 15 regular season games. They met up with the Bills at home for the season finale and returned the favor, handing them a 31-0 beatdown and getting the last laugh as the Bills fell from playoff contention and the Patriots went on to win their second Super Bowl.
In 2004, the team had recently set the record for consecutive regular season wins and started to feel ­— and act — invincible. They marched into Heinz Field an infallible super-team but walked out with their tails between their legs after falling to the Steelers. This loss brought the Patriots back down to earth, and the humility that it instilled inspired a new work ethic and sense of professionalism that carried over into the playoffs, where the Patriots met the Steelers again. The outcome of this rematch was a lopsided Patriots victory, showing that the regular season loss to the Steelers had forced the Patriots to mature and progress as a team, whereas the Steelers had stayed static.
More recently, the 2014 Patriots ran into a buzz saw when they met the Kansas City Chiefs in week four, after which Belichick uttered his famous “We’re on to Cincinnati” line. At that point in the season, the Patriots were 2-2 and could have just as easily played an entire season of mediocre football, but the media’s repeated doubts and criticism added fuel to the players’ fire and motivated them, especially Brady. After that loss, the Patriots won 10 of their next 11 games en route to their fourth Super Bowl win.
The Patriots are unique in that they have a propensity to take adversity and use it to their advantage. That is a huge part of what makes them so successful. The one time they didn’t come together through adversity is during the 2007 season when they didn’t encounter any adversity, going 16-0 in the regular season. And when hard times finally came that season in the form of a smug Eli Manning driving down the field in the closing minutes of the Super Bowl, the Patriots were unprepared.
Last week’s shutout loss to the Bills highlighted a number of flaws that can’t be ignored. Had the Patriots been able to continue winning, their small mistakes could have flown under the radar, but this recent loss has illuminated deficiencies — kick returns, ball security and defending against mobile quarterbacks and the option — that the ever-meticulous Patriots coaching staff will undoubtedly remedy before Sunday’s game against the Cleveland Browns.
The Patriots are special in that their most successful seasons have been defined by key losses rather than wins. Last week’s loss to Buffalo is a fitting spark to drive the team. It was ugly enough and embarrassing enough to get the players fired up, but the notch in the L column did not jeopardize the Patriots’ good standing in the AFC East. Moreover, they have an easy game in Cleveland this weekend to bounce back, giving the Patriots the opportunity to dismantle a bad team and regain their confidence.
The Patriots’ response to the Buffalo loss will define this season. If they play with toughness and professionalism in Cleveland Sunday, the team will likely make a convincing Super Bowl run. If their sloppy play from last week carries over, I wouldn’t count on the Patriots to be playing in February.
Charlie Blasberg ’18 can be reached at .”

Schapiro ’19: Major League Baseball postseason gets wild
Oct 07, 2016
“MLB’s ordinary postseason has begun: The wild-card games are over, which means that fans of both losing teams are understandably upset. And while some will complain that one single wild-card game is not enough, and that baseball, statistically speaking, was never meant to be a single-elimination sport, you’ll hear no objection from me. The wild-card game is perfect just the way it is.
First, some history: Starting in 1969, when the National and American Leagues each expanded from one division to two, the winners of each division met their league’s other division winner in the division series. That series determined the pennant winner, who went on to the World Series to face the pennant winner from the opposing league. The system could not have been more straightforward.
But MLB expanded from two divisions in each league to three in 1994. While football, for example, can give top teams bye weeks due to the long periods of rest in the football schedule, sitting two baseball teams down for a week or more is simply implausible. Baseball is played almost daily for 162 games, and a team suddenly given a week or more off will almost certainly become rusty. First-round byes are not an option in MLB — which means a six-team tournament, the logical conclusion of two three-division leagues, is not possible.
So the wild card was introduced. It’s a fairly simple concept: Outside of the three division winners, the next-best team also makes the playoffs, giving each league a tidy, four-team postseason.
But the wild card was not without its problems. The most common complaint was that the existence of the wild card removed the incentive for a team to win its division. Obviously, winning one’s division is superior to finishing second, but under the original wild-card system, division winners and the wild-card team both had a chance to advance in a five-game series.
In 2012, a new system was introduced: the one-game wild-card play-in. One wild-card team would enter the normal postseason format. But that one team would not be the team behind the division leaders, at least not by default. The lone true postseason entrant would be determined by a one-game playoff between the two teams atop the wild-card standings.
Upon the new format’s implementation in 2012, a sharp divide appeared between those who believed it worked perfectly and those who believed the one-game playoff was not enough. At least play a three-game series, they advocated. One game is too small a sample size. One game doesn’t show anything.
While I understand the latter group’s argument, you can count me squarely among the former. And what’s more, I don’t even believe the second group’s argument makes conceptual sense.
The whole point of the new format was to incentivize teams to win their divisions rather than rest in the security of the wild card. The play-in game clearly does that by making the wild card a less certain means of entry to the postseason and removing the equivalency that formerly existed between wild-card and division winners. By being only one game, with the largest amount of uncertainty possible, the one-game playoff makes the incentive to win one’s division even greater — in other words, it does what the wild card was intended to do even better.
For the other side, the argument remains that the postseason should be open only to the best teams, and an inferior team should not make the playoffs just because it beat a superior team once. But this is barely an argument. The two wild-card teams almost always have nearly or exactly identical records. This season, both wild-card teams in each league had identical records. Last year, each league saw a difference between its first and second wild card of merely one game. In 2014, the American League teams had a one-game gap, and the National League teams were tied. Since the current format was instituted in 2012, only one second wild-card team with a significantly inferior record — a 6.0-game gap —won the wild-card game: the 2012 Cardinals. Those same Cardinals went on to win the division series and take the league championship series to seven games, proving that even though they hadn’t been the first wild card, they certainly were not out of place in the postseason.
I can’t help but think that a lot of the anxiety over a single, winner-take-all game comes from the nature of baseball itself. A postseason series is meant to play out over multiple games, with wins and losses and opportunities for comebacks. But here’s the thing: so is the regular season. That’s what the second wild card does: It makes regular season games that would otherwise be meaningless mean everything, often down to the last game of the season.
It’s not perfect: perfect would be four divisions, a single playoff team from each. But with 30 MLB teams, that’s just not practical. Three divisions is the system we have, and within that framework, the current wild-card format is as good as it can be. Baseball fans should accept this. We should put aside our hesitance over the legitimacy of the format and enjoy the extra excitement that it offers.
Now that the Mets have lost, James Schapiro ’19 is hibernating for the winter. He can be reached at .”

(showing 10) Show All