StudentsReview :: Brown University

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

Brown University

Brown Campus News

Importance
Letter: Sexual assault, not expulsion, causes ‘irreparable harm’
Jun 06, 2016
“To the Editor:
Chief Justice William E. Smith, in Wednesday’s Herald article, “Judge bars Brown from suspending student found guilty of sexual assault,” is quoted as ruling that the “effective expulsion” of the defendant, identified only as John Doe, would cause him “irreparable harm.” As the survivor of both sexual assault and Brown’s often infuriating, exhausting and emotional hearing process, I am appalled that Smith could possibly think anyone but the complainant, identified only as Ann Roe, could be experiencing “irreparable harm.”
At the end of my sophomore spring, I finally learned that the semester-long process of my case was ending. The hearing, which took place during finals, culminated in a drastic, satisfactory sanction: a two-year suspension for my assaulter. This meant that I could graduate in peace, without the fear that I might run into him around every corner on campus. He appealed, as expected, and the verdict was upheld. I felt victorious! The system, the University, which everyone complained about and mistrusted, had not failed me. I felt vindicated in my decision to formally report the assault, something that I had not initially done. Just like Roe, I did my best to ignore the situation until it became clear that I might not be the only unsafe person on campus.
It disturbs me that Roe, after what must have been a draining and difficult experience, has had all her progress torn completely away from her. In and of itself, this is saddening, but I would also like to remind Chief Justice Smith that the University found Doe guilty of assault. Assault, which leaves lingering effects long after the perpetrator is finished. Assault, which is traumatic — I would know. Assault causes irreparable harm.
I both commend the University for its appropriate sanction and urge the University to appeal Smith’s decision. Roe deserves a campus she feels is safe for her and everyone else. I am lucky to say that I can walk through any space on campus confident that my assaulter will not cause any further harm to me or anyone else. I can only imagine the pain Roe must feel, after the hearing and imposed sanction, to have her efforts conclude in naught.
Julia Stemmer ’17”

Molloy ’17 wins Tewaarton Award
Jun 05, 2016
“Dylan Molloy ’17 cemented his legacy at Brown as one of its best lacrosse players ever after becoming the school’s first winner of the Tewaaraton Award, given annually to the top player in college lacrosse. After a record-breaking season for Molloy and the team, he received the award at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., Thursday.
“I thought I had a good shot just given that Brown got farther than a lot of (other) finalists,” Molloy said. “Just to be up on the stage to begin with was pretty unreal.”
Molloy was the top weapon on Brown’s attack, spearheading an offense that led the country in scoring and landed the Bears in the national semifinal for just the second time in school history. The first-team All-American finished with 116 points in 18 games, a 6.44-points-per-game average — the best mark in the country.
But the season was not all smooth sailing for Molloy. The junior broke his foot in the NCAA tournament first-round win over Johns Hopkins , forcing him to sit out the quarterfinal contest against Navy. After the win over Navy and in the week leading up to the final four, Head Coach Lars Tiffany ’90 indicated that Molloy was unlikely to play.
But to the surprise of many, Molloy marched out for warmups against top-ranked Maryland on a broken foot . While he was not in the starting lineup, he played a majority of the game and scored two goals in Brown’s 15-14 overtime loss. Molloy had a surgical screw inserted in his foot Tuesday and wheeled up to accept his award on a one-footed scooter.
He was considered the favorite for the award before the injury, but a valiant performance, playing injured may have solidified him as the most deserving.
“I think (the Maryland game) helped my case a little bit,” Molloy said.
“We would need a White House investigation if he didn’t win the award,” Tiffany said. “A man went out there any played with a broken foot. It was heroic, really. In our world of college lacrosse, this is one of those moments people will remember for many years.”
Brown may forever wonder what could have been against the Terps — and possibly beyond — had Molloy been healthy throughout the tournament. He also may have made a run at the NCAA record for most points in a season of 128. After the game against Johns Hopkins, he had tallied 114 points for the season.
Molloy’s two goals against Maryland personified his style of play, as he used his 220 pound frame to back down defenders and muscle his way to the net. Three years of work in the weight room allowed Molloy to put on the strength he now uses to bully some of the top defenders in the country.
He was paired with Tiffany as lifting partners as a freshman, a time when Tiffany said Molloy was still taking things slow.
“The first month he was kind of easing into it,” Tiffany said. “I didn’t know if he had really done heavy lifting before.”
But it became clear to Tiffany  that Molloy was capable of much more in the weight room, where he now bench presses 315 pounds and squats 465.
“He has now left me way back in the dust,” Tiffany said. “He made the weight room his ally.”
His improvement in the weight room is one example of the work he has put in to reach the top of the college lacrosse world. Beyond his natural gifts of strength and skill, his work ethic and drive to improve his game has set him apart from other great players, Tiffany said.
“He’s not content,” he said. “He wants to be the best player in the game, and he’s proven that he is.”
“It really does start with how hard he works and how much fun he has. The balance between those two is what I’ve marveled out of him,” said Kylor Bellistri ’16, who played alongside Molloy on the Bears’ attack. “I’ve played with some incredible players over the years, but Dylan is the absolute most fun of anyone out on the lacrosse field.”
The change to Molloy’s skill set that rounded out his game in his junior season was his prowess for sharing the ball and assisting for teammates. While he notched 62 goals in both his sophomore and junior seasons, he upped his helper total from 30 to 54. Often drawing the most attention from opposing defenses, his play-making ability set up fellow attackmen Bellistri and Henry Blynn ’16, who finished with 63 and 52 goals, respectively.
“Him being able to use his body to his advantage and taking a quick step back and feeding a pass, it just shows how talented he is how and how much he’s grown,” Bellistri said.
Molloy credited his work with Assistant Coach Sean Kerwan in the offseason, but also said that Bellistri and Blynn make his job easier.
While the Tewaaraton Award is the most prestigious in the sport, akin to college football’s Heisman Trophy, it was certainly not the only award Molloy earned for his performance this year. On championship weekend, in addition to the announcement of the All-American teams, he was named USILA’s most outstanding player and most outstanding attackman. He was also named Ivy League Player of the Year.
But for all the awards and a school-record 16 wins for the team, Bruno faithful can still look to the future and take solace in the fact he will be wearing the brown and white for another year. Staying true to his impeccable work ethic, Molloy will focus on getting healthy and then get back to the weight room.
“Now, there’s more of a challenge to find obvious things he needs to work on. But there are some subtle things,” Tiffany said. “But what I do know, is that whatever we come up with for Dylan, he will take it to heart. That’s what is making him the best player in the college game.””

Importance
Judge bars Brown from suspending student found guilty of sexual assault
May 31, 2016
“Updated June 1, 2016 at 6:35 p.m.
T he fate of an anonymous John Doe  remains unclear after a federal district court judge rejected the University’s decision to suspend him for two years for sexual misconduct in April, according to court documents. Though the University found Doe responsible for assaulting another student in an April 14 hearing and gave him written notice April 20, Chief Justice William E. Smith ruled that the functional expulsion would cause him “irreparable harm for which an award of monetary damages would not be sufficient.”
The rejection was on the grounds of breach of contract, meaning that Doe’s lawyers argued that the University is at fault for applying definition of consent established in “Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment, Sexual Violence, Relationship and Interpersonal Violence and Stalking Policy” — a document that was adopted by the University Sept. 3, 2015, 10 months after the alleged incident occurred — to the case in Doe’s disciplinary hearing. As a result, Smith found that Doe had “a reasonable likelihood of success” in his suit.
After the University was barred from suspending him until fall 2018, Doe filed an amended complaint with more information about the initial University disciplinary hearing for which Doe is suing the University and Ann Roe, the pseudonym of the woman who claims he sexually assaulted her.
In her complaint to the University, Roe described a pattern of unreciprocated advances from a teammate on the mock trial team. Though initially consisting of lewd text messages and inappropriate personal interactions, the harassment concluded in an alleged instance of sexual assault that led Roe to meet with Title IX Program Officer Amanda Walsh as well as Associate Dean and Director of Student Support Services Maria Suarez.
Through these meetings, Roe obtained a no-contact order against Doe which allowed her to “feel like (she) could focus on school and not have to continually fear him assaulting (her) again,” according to the court documents. Despite this, the two were forced to co-exist on the mock trial team even after the assault, something Roe indicated she could tolerate until she realized Doe had a pattern of harassment that extended beyond her case, according to court documents detailing Roe’s account.
Though initially he was to remain off campus, Doe succeeded in obtaining a restraining order against the University April 25, which was extended twice — first through May 16 and then May 21. The injunction prevented the University from enforcing its April 20 decision to have Doe leave his residence hall and campus.
Both Doe and Roe appealed the sanction imposed at the April 14 hearing. Roe appealed the decision April 25, asking that the panel instead impose a “permanent separation from Brown University,” citing a Facebook post Doe posted on his fraternity’s Facebook page. The post, written by Doe, stated that “there is a special place in hell for girls who seek revenge against those who don’t text them back and ignore them by claiming that they were sexually assaulted.”
In his own appeal letter to Walsh, Doe appealed the guilty verdict of a Title IX panel owing to “substantial procedural error and the overwhelming weight of the evidence that is contrary to the panel’s finding.” Doe specifically faulted the panel for expanding the definition of sexual misconduct to include “manipulation,” something that was absent from the 2014 code. Giving examples of synonyms like “influence,” “maneuver” and “finagle,” Doe tried to make the case that an act of manipulation “is not comparable to the examples of sexual misconduct provided in the 2014 code.”
Doe’s expulsion was initially to last until fall 2018 – after Roe graduated – something Smith found intolerable as at the time of filing, there was only a month left of the academic year. In addition, Smith took issue with the timing of the University’s decision which occurred nearly a year and a half after the assault in question.
A temporary restraining order may allow a student to remain in status during an appeals process or provide an opportunity to complete an academic semester when the end of the semester is near. Such orders do not apply to a student’s long-term enrollment status,” wrote Brian Clark, director of news and editorial development, in a statement to The Herald.
While the judge’s temporary restraining order against the University allowed Doe to finish his semester, the ruling on the lawsuit itself — if it has come to a resolution by the fall — will dictate whether the student is allowed to enroll in the fall.
It is unclear as of yet whether or not the University will appeal the decision.”

Celina Stewart: Reflecting on home
May 31, 2016
“This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2016 I have a red-and-black print of an Andy Warhol quote on my wall: “The world fascinates me.” For as long as I can remember, this has been true. As a child, I grew up walking the botanical gardens in Singapore, learning badminton in Jakarta and systematically numbing my taste buds with as much spicy food as I could. When my family evacuated Indonesia to the United States after Sept. 11, I felt disoriented and shell-shocked in my Georgia public school. When we moved to Nashville, Tennessee shortly thereafter and I began class with my third second-grade teacher, I cried.
The funny thing about being immersed in Brown’s diversity is that I’ve only recently begun reminding people I grew up overseas, explaining why I prefer fairy bread (an Australian concoction of white bread, butter and sprinkles) to peanut butter and jelly and why I cannot place most American “throwback” references. I’ve only just begun admitting to myself one of the biggest truths about my identity: my hometown. When you aren’t from anywhere in particular, choosing a hometown takes on significance. It’s a validation of place, belonging and comfort. As a Brown student who is cognizant of Tennessee’s religious and racial prejudices as well as   its continuing shortcomings in social justice, this decision has been fraught with cognitive dissonance, bargaining and more than a little embarrassment.
My middle and high school years were bathed in copper hues: orange t-shirts for the University of Tennessee, attended by about 70 percent of my public school’s large graduating class; crimson for Alabama’s Roll Tide slogan and college football’s Southeastern Conference; blood red for the stripes on the flag we saluted without fail at the beginning of every school day; and red for the color of the only political party you could publicly approve. Before coming to Brown, I abhorred these shades of red, longing to bathe myself in cool, refreshing blue.
At Brown, I’ve studied systemic oppression, feminism, cultural appropriation, privilege and religion. Academically, I know with absolute certainty that many of the experiences I had while living in Tennessee fell well within the categories of “problematic” or “extremely problematic.” I’ve realized that feminism isn’t a curse word, nor does not shaving your legs or being transgender make you any less of a woman. I’ve realized that the privileges I enjoyed in Tennessee aren’t only unrealistic (did I mention that I went to Taylor Swift’s rival high school and Kesha’s middle school?) but part of a larger problem of wealth distribution in the United States. I identify Nashville as my hometown knowing full well that any mention of the South immediately conjures preconceptions in most of my peers of conservative beliefs, Bible-thumping and ignorance. This knowledge makes my understanding of home a complex, tense part of my identity. Yet I can’t deny where I come from.
I have continually confronted and interrogated the lessons I learned in Tennessee’s public schools during my time at Brown. I’ve often laughed outwardly and grimaced inwardly at my unbeknownst ignorance among peers who attended high schools far more rigorous than my own. I smiled freshman year while frantically learning the basics of staying kosher, keeping up with friends’ New York families and feigning familiarity with New England’s meteorologically and socially chilly tendencies. I appreciate the learning curve that comes with being immersed in such a diverse community, especially after coming from someplace where too much difference came with a heap of suspicion. The hard part about acknowledging Tennessee as your home is that you have to accept everything that comes with it, knowing full well that, to most of your peers, the South cannot approximate the sophistication or opportunity of the North. There is a certain expectation of proving your worth, of showing that you weren’t just the admission committee’s pet Southern acceptance, and that you can blend into this place.
In “Thank God for Hometowns,” Carrie Underwood sings, “Thank God for the county lines that welcome you back in / When you were dying to get out / Thank God for Church pews / And all the faces that won’t forget you / Cause when you’re lost out in this crazy world / You got somewhere to go and get found.” Driving to Tennessee this summer on I-40W from Virginia, I realized that home is where you return to, again and again. Home is the open field you aren’t afraid to walk with girlfriends at midnight, just to taste the honeysuckles and watch the fireflies in the grass like fireworks personally welcoming you back. Home tastes like fried pickles and sounds like Luke Bryan. Home, I’ve realized, does not define where you’ll go. Rather, it helps you understand where you come from.
My classmates at Brown have been some of the most incredibly intelligent, independently impressive people I’ve met. In trying to keep up with them, I traveled by myself to Panama, Argentina and Uruguay. I studied abroad in Spain and the Czech Republic. I completed an internship conducted almost entirely in Spanish, despite my feelings of lingual inadequacy as an international relations concentrator. I will work as a consultant in New York next year. For someone from a town that encourages staying close to home, these are acts of courage and accomplishment. These achievements were only possible because I saw those around me doing similar things and I felt that I could, too. This type of exploration, whether of our ideals, our bodies, our thoughts or our worlds, is a necessary part of college. My world is much bigger for having attended Brown.
So this column is for that small group of us who call the South home (even those of you from Texas). Our time at Brown has not only solidified which brand of bourbon we enjoy best, but also given us the tools to understand how a place with such a complicated, frustrating and poorly taught cultural history can also provide us with such comfort. This is for the folks in Tennessee who told me to come to Brown and prove that Tennesseans are smart and can go on to do big things. To them, and to all of us in the class of 2016: We made it.”

Importance
Victor Chang ’16 remembered for ‘unbiased love’
May 31, 2016
“In the week since the death of Victor Yoon Chul Chang ’16, it seemed that echoes of his hearty laugh can still be heard across campus.
“If something made him chuckle and he was on the other side of the house, it would echo throughout the entire house,” said Greg Chang, Victor’s brother.
Victor, who died May 15, is remembered for his fun-loving sense of humor by his two older brothers, Greg and Daniel Chang ’12. He is survived by his siblings and his mother, Sung Hee Chang.
On campus, Victor could most often be found at the Gate, where he worked as a supervisor with BuDS and took a liking to the pizza.
“Your heart is almost as large as the sheer volume of food you can take in a single bite. Which is an impressive amount,” one student wrote of Victor on the Facebook page Brown University Compliments.
Victor studied psychology at Brown, but he always made sure to make time for his friends, Greg said. “He didn’t stay up late studying, but he did stay up late to talk to friends.”
His dedication to his friends was apparent to all. One year, Victor agreed to write a haiku for every person who liked a status he had posted on Facebook. The post resulted in hundreds of heartfelt poems individually crafted for each of his friends.
“Through you, I witnessed faithful friendship,” wrote one friend of Victor’s in a blog post. “I witnessed unbiased love and care.”
Victor reached out to several friends when they found themselves in dark times. A few of the people whom he touched during his life came forward during his memorial service at the Chamsarang Korean Methodist Church in Hempstead, New York May 19 to share with Victor’s family the lasting impact that Victor’s words had instilled in them.
“He made me feel like a person,” Daniel recalled one girl saying of Victor.
“Victor was always there … so giving of his entire self …  in a way that is a lot like our dad,” Greg said.
Victor’s father, Brian Chang, died in June 2012 of liver cancer. Though always the person in whom others found solace, that year Victor found himself reaching out to his friends for support through prayer.
The death of his father resonated with Victor. He initially went back to school that fall but then decided to take a medical leave for the semester to confront his depression.
During the year that followed, Victor immersed himself in positive thoughts; on his blog on Tumblr he kept a daily log of moments he was thankful for in his life. His first of that year: “I’m thankful for being able to start a year anew, hopefully moving forward from an — unfortunately — eventful 2012.”
Often the thoughts he posted centered on his friends and family. “I’m thankful that I’m able to take part in the happiness of friends,” he wrote Jan. 15, 2013. And on Jan. 19: “I am thankful to have a brother willing to drive me back to school.”
Others were lighter in nature. “I’m thankful for good eats suggestions!” he posted Jan. 7, referring to a food blog he kept on which he shared pictures of special meals he had eaten throughout the year. A pizza from the Gate, of course, made it on the blog.
Victor was not only prolific in his food photography, but also in his poetry, where he showed a more vulnerable side of himself.
“Your kindness, your love, your laughter — everything about you — will always be engraved in our hearts,” wrote a friend, Brettany Tu, on her blog.
As much earnest warmth as Victor offered, he revelled equally in moments of goofiness and fun, starting from childhood.
When he was five or six, Victor “pulled out a raw egg from the fridge and decided he wanted to hatch it,” Daniel said. He sat on it and the egg exploded, ruining the chair he had claimed as his nest.
The brothers spent their afternoons playing in the local schoolyard. Greg and Daniel remember lifting up their youngest brother to catch the frisbees that would soar over their heads.
Victor’s love of frisbee carried forward to high school. On warm summer nights, he would call up friends late at night, inviting them to play frisbee games underneath the stars.
While many of the brothers’ interests remained the same, time allowed them to grow their own individual passions. As Victor’s family became less involved with church, Victor boldly stuck to his religion, even when entering Brown, a place where proclaiming religious faith was not always the easiest, his brothers said.
His family’s Korean origins remained an important part of Victor’s identity — while he grew up in a bilingual household, as the last child, Victor was immersed more in English than his two older brothers, and he lost the language more quickly. At Brown he sought to amend that, taking Korean classes and joining the Korean-American Student Association. He was the only of his siblings to pursue an interest in K-Pop — he discussed the bright, bubbly music with the only other fan in their family: his mother.
Victor was “big on games and puzzles,” said Greg, noting his brother’s ability to solve a Rubik’s cube in record time. He even wrote his Brown admission essay on Tetris.
His brothers were unsure of Victor’s post-graduation plans, but they found some Teach for America documents with Victor’s belongings. Had he become a teacher, he would have been the fourth in a long line of teachers in his family — Greg, Daniel and his mother are all teachers, as well as his grandfather in Korea.
Victor was cremated at Swan Point Cemetery in Providence, and a memorial service was held in Hempstead, NY, near his hometown of Valley Stream, NY. The family asks that in lieu of sending donations, those thinking of his family donate to Save the Children, the Treatment Advocacy Center, the Cancer Research Institute and the University, specifically the Chaplain’s Emergency Relief Fund.
With the donations they have already received, Victor’s family hopes to plant a tree on campus to commemorate Victor’s life and the impact the University had on Victor and his family, Greg said.”

Corporation approves renovations to Wilson
May 30, 2016
“Corporation members joined faculty members, students, staff members, neighbors and Mayor Jorge Elorza Wednesday to celebrate the topping off of the new School of Engineering at the May meeting of the Corporation, President Christina Paxson P’19 wrote in a campus-wide email Friday. The Committee on Facilities and Campus Planning also heard progress reports on other facilities projects, while the Committee on Budget and Finance authorized an architect plan for the Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs and renovations to Wilson Hall and the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center.
The Corporation also accepted $14.35 million in gifts, Paxson wrote. The gifts will fund athletic renovations, renovations of 163 George Street, the establishment of the Wealth and Income Inequality Project and the Brown Annual Fund, among others. Renovations to Wilson Hall “will include making that important classroom building fully accessible.” This comes after student calls to make the building on the Main Green more accessible and a discussion between Student and Employee Accessibility Services Director Catherine Axe ’87 and the Undergraduate Council of Students .
Though the gifts do not match the $25 million that the Corporation accepted last year, this year’s gifts accompany the $1.06 billion dollars raised by the BrownTogether campaign as it attempts to reach a $3 billion dollar goal.
Corporation members also engaged in an informal discussion with students student work experience and diversity in the curriculum, Paxson wrote.
The Corporation elected five new Trustees as well as Mya Roberson ’16, who will serve a three-year long term as a Young Alumni Trustee. The Corporation also approved the appointment of 23 faculty members to named chairs, Paxson wrote.
In keeping with tradition for the annual May meeting, members of the Board of Fellows approved more than 2,500 degrees that were awarded at Sunday’s Commencement.”

No. 1 Terps top men’s lacrosse despite Molloy’s ’17 return
May 30, 2016
“A storybook season came to an end for the men’s lacrosse team Saturday in the national semifinal in Philadelphia. No. 5 Bruno fell to top-ranked Maryland, 15-14 in overtime.
Despite the loss, the Bears (16-3) showed the rest of the nation — on the biggest stage in college lacrosse — what Brown fans saw all year: grit, a never-die attitude and high-powered offense.
The drama started before the opening whistle, as Tewaaraton award finalist Dylan Molloy ’17 came out for warmups on his broken foot, which he suffered in Brown’s first-round win over Johns Hopkins. After spending the quarterfinal against Navy on the sideline in street clothes and a walking boot and not practicing all week, it was a surprise to many to see the junior suited up. Head Coach Lars Tiffany ’90 said after the Navy game that Molloy was “highly unlikely” to play against the Terrapins.
Maryland (17-2) opened up a 4-1 lead, but as he had all year, Molloy sparked the offense with his 61st goal of the season, opening up a 6-1 Bruno run. He was clearly limited by the injury, limping visibly during play, but still managed to score a pair of goals.
The Terps carried a 9-8 lead into halftime and capitalized on a sloppy third quarter from the Bears to stretch the lead to 12-9 heading into the final frame.
Reminiscent of the team’s loss to Harvard in the Ivy League tournament, turnovers proved to be the Bears’ achilles heel early in the second half. Bruno went over 20 minutes of gameplay without a goal, from the end of the second quarter to the end of the third. But the consequences could have been much worse if it weren’t for first-team All-American goalie Jack Kelly ’16, who made seven third-quarter saves, many from point-blank range, to keep Brown in the game.
“There’s no excuse for it. We were just kind of throwing the ball away,” said junior midfielder  Larken Kemp ’17. “We were feeling the pressure maybe a little bit.”
“There was a stretch there at the end of the second quarter through much of the third quarter, we just couldn’t sort of make that next pass and complete it,” Tiffany said to reporters after the game. “Certainly, those are on us.”
Things looked bleak for Brown after Maryland’s Henry West scored with 9:33 remaining in the game to bring the score to 14-10.
But as the game’s commentators noted, four goals is nothing for the nation’s highest-scoring offense, and after a goal from Bailey Tills ’16, the floodgates opened.
A quick goal from Kylor Bellistri ’16 and another from Henry Blynn ’16 cut the lead to one and completely swung the momentum in Brown’s favor. With Maryland reeling, Brendan Caputo ’16 launched a shot past Maryland’s Kyle Bernlohr with 1:49 remaining, sending the Brown bench into jubilation.
Both teams had a chance with possession in the final minutes, but the clock would hit zero before either team could break the tie, sending the game into sudden-death overtime.
Will Gural ’16 won the opening face-off forward but Brown couldn’t corral the ground ball, allowing Maryland to set up its offense. In what appeared to be a miscommunication on defense, Maryland’s Colin Heacock was left open in front of the net, where he faked out Kelly and buried the winning goal for the Terrapins.
Despite the heartbreaking close to the season, taking the number-one team in the nation to overtime thanks to a furious comeback showed the determination of Tiffany’s team.
“Not for a second did we think we were out of it,” Kemp said. “Everyone believed. In every huddle, no one was down on each other. Everyone thought we were coming back.”
The effort of Molloy, who will have surgery on his foot Tuesday, similarly embodied the gritty personality of this team. In a post-game press conference, Molloy made it clear that there was no way he was going to be held out of the game.
“I needed to be out there after last weekend. Being on the sidelines is probably the hardest thing ever. So whatever the risks were, I had to take it,” he said in the press conference. “I just needed to be out there with my teammates once more.”
While he was limited, the junior’s presence surely provided an emotional lift to his teammates.
“Anyone in that room would sacrifice anything for the guy next to him,” Kemp said. “With Dylan, he kind of encapsulated that with the amount of rehab he was putting in. It means the world.”
“It was just incredible to watch. I think that he made our team proud, our school proud and our league proud,” Kelly told reporters after the game. “A lot of people look at the Ivy League and think it’s a bunch of softies, but you look at Dylan Molloy, battling through a broken foot.”
On top of advancing to the final four for only the second the time in school history, the accomplishments for this team and the senior class in particular are seemingly endless. Sixteen wins is a school record. Kelly, Molloy and Kemp were named first-team All-Americans before the game, and five other Brown players were selected for the second and third teams. Bellistri led the nation in goals with a school-record 63, one ahead of Molloy.
But beyond the eye-popping stats, the leadership of the team’s 10 seniors was perhaps the most valuable contribution of the class.
“I love this team. I use that word not haphazardly,” Tiffany said after the game. “The group, the effort, the commitment, you know, everyone works hard, but there’s something different about this team.”
“We had seniors, leaving everything out there every practice, every ground ball, and it’s that effort that gets you to this stage,” Kemp said. “People only see the end result, but the fact of the matter is that those guys came in, they had a swagger about them, they believed we were going to get here, and they led us to the promised land. It’s been a thrill.”
 ”

Jason Ginsberg: A cautionary tale
May 27, 2016
“This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2016 My journey to Brown began with a warning. It was an autumn afternoon, and I was sitting in an attorney’s office close to home. Pulling at the fabric of my suit pants, I was both eager and anxious at the same time. I constantly adjusted my tie in nervous expectation.
Months before matriculating at Brown, this was the scene of my alumni interview, the final leg of my admission process. Fortunately, the interview went well. But after nearly an hour of talking about my interests and hypothetical future in Providence, the alum issued me a warning.
“I know you’ve already applied, but before you make a decision, I must caution you,” he said. “Brown is an independent place, and you have to be prepared to forge your own path.”
The next autumn, while unpacking my things in Perkins Hall (RIP), those words of warning remained with me. Like many other first-years, I had clouded conceptions of what life on College Hill would be like, preconceived fears of a place where students were doing their own thing, where success was measured by each individual’s achievements. What was independence and how would I figure it out all by myself?
Looking back now, I am not surprised that I thought this way. From our first day on campus as Brown students, we are introduced to a curriculum founded on the principle of choice. We are welcomed into a 250-year-old tradition, guided only by our academic interests. For the initial two weeks of every semester — with nearly zero guidelines and no core requirements — we are tasked with picking four courses from a shopping cart of hundreds of possibilities. This can be a daunting task and certainly one worthy of an alum’s warning.
But over the past four years, I have learned that, along with phrases like “arch sing” and “spicy with,” “independence” has its own unique meaning at Brown. As self-guided as we strive to be, each of our individual identities is the consequence of the interactions we have with others.
This is a lesson I experienced first-hand every Tuesday and Thursday evening for the past four years. As a trombonist in the Brown University Orchestra, I spent a lot of time practicing on my own. Some nights I would trek to the studios in Steinert Center, and others — much to the frustration of my roommates — I would set up next to my desk at home.
But music, as I know it, is only resonant in the company of others. Despite all the hours of late-night practicing, the most I could ever produce was an incomplete sound, a single voice in the silent symphony of my mind. It was only in joining the rest of the orchestra that this sound gained volume. Rehearsing with over 100 other students twice per week, my individual part found a place within the larger whole. As my melodies mixed with those of the flutes, as my lines sung with the strings and answered the trumpets, I was satisfied knowing that, in harmony with others, I was creating new meaning through music.
This message continued to echo with me last year, when I enrolled in a course on the “contested narratives” of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Over spring break, I traveled with 11 of my classmates to Israel and the West Bank. For seven days, we met with human rights activists, journalists and government officials, hearing their separate stories and personal perspectives on the conflict.
For me, one of the most powerful memories from that trip was joining a Palestinian family for Friday night dinner. We talked about politics and our hopes for a peaceful future. Five thousand miles from home, I heard stories that night that I had never had the opportunity to hear before.
Each day of the trip, and each day of our seminar in Sayles Hall, I was exposed to different viewpoints. Though we each had our own opinions coming into the course — our own independent truths — sharing these ideas with one another, we formed a collective narrative. We weren’t resolving the conflict, but talking together, we were creating a new understanding.
Over the past eight semesters at Brown, this same experience has repeated itself again and again. Despite different perspectives and alternative understandings, my greatest moments on College Hill have always been in the company of others. Admittedly, though I have forgotten much of its substance, this shared sense of learning recalls a particular passage from our class’ First Readings book from the summer before coming to Brown: “Sons of Providence: The Brown Brothers, the Slave Trade and the American Revolution” by Charles Rappleye.
Unable to resolve their disputes, Moses Brown, an ardent abolitionist, and his brother John, a staunch slave trader, turned to a series of letters to express their disagreements. Instead of ignoring each other’s independent ways, they engaged with one another in discourse. And though each remained largely unconvinced by the other, it was in this conversation that John and Moses Brown created a shared legacy. Together, they inspired an academic institution founded on the same spirit of collective inquiry as their own.
As graduation approaches, it is easy to stop and search for meaning in the semesters that have passed. Now, on my way toward the Van Wickle Gates, I can finally appreciate those last words, handed down to me by an alumni attorney in an admission interview, now four autumns ago. Looking back on my time at Brown, it won’t matter that I spent nights alone researching in the Rockefeller Library, or that I played solos for hours in private practice rooms. Years from now, I won’t remember the individual moments but the times we all came together, when we created music from our melodies and understandings from our independent ideas.
These are the moments I will share in the future, perhaps to a prospective student, anxiously adjusting his tie before an interview. “Independence is not a warning but an experience to embrace,” I will say. “It is the self-guided spirit that ties Brown together.””

Senior survey 2016
“This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2016
Below are some highlights from The Herald’s unscientific survey, which was conducted online from April 19 to May 9. 609 seniors completed the survey, though not everyone responded to every question. The data was not adjusted for self-selection bias. Graphics were made by Laura Felenstein, Emma Jerzyk, Jillian Lanney and Kate Talerico.”

Committed to the community
May 27, 2016
“This article is part of the series Commencement Magazine 2016 Looking beyond the familiar storefronts of Thayer Street, many Brown students enjoy venturing off of College Hill and engaging with the greater Providence community. For some, this engagement offers a fulfilling experience that helps shape their future career path. For many, it also contributes to a critical conversation on privilege and power dynamics.
Student engagement with Providence became the center of campus conversation in March, when the Swearer Center for Public Service released a draft of its strategic plan. The plan takes a three-pronged approach to community service, addressing the issues of student privilege, faculty engagement and compensation for volunteer work.
The plan drew criticism from student leaders at Swearer who said they were not adequately consulted and have concerns about a number of the proposed changes. But student advocates, Swearer community fellows and administrators agree on the importance of discussing the privilege that comes with attending an elite educational institution like Brown.
Privilege and partnerships
For Donald Brennan ’18, site director of the free SAT preparatory program Let’s Get Ready, attending Brown feels like a privilege. As a Providence native, Brennan recognizes that many local high school students do not consider college — much less Brown — an option.
“You’ll have students whose aspirations are not so high,” Brennan said. “They’ve never been afforded the opportunity to have those aspirations.”
For some Providence high school students and community members, coming to Brown to participate in social service programs can be difficult, Brennan said. The Rhode Island Public Transport Authority bus service is free for Brown community members but comes at a cost for many Providence residents, he added. In March, the price of RIPTA’s transfer fares and weekly and monthly passes increased.
The financial burden of the RIPTA fare ensures that “only the most motivated students will come — and arguably they are least likely to need your help,” Brennan said.
Betsy Shimberg, director of community partnerships at the Swearer Center, recalled a community partner telling her that Brown students’ privilege does manifest itself in their work at her local organization. The partner said Brown students show up wearing flip flops and tank tops, whereas Johnson and Wales students arrive in ties. Shimberg said the partner has started reading these cues as an indication of how invested Brown students are in their jobs.
Not many students pursuing community service work choose to stay in Providence after graduation, Shimberg said. Many students use their degree and the work experience they have gained at partner organizations to seek jobs elsewhere, she said.
Local community service organizations that partner with Brown often struggle to fill the resulting skills deficit that Brown students leave after they graduate or stop volunteering, Shimberg said. This can lead some community partners to question what they have really gained from the partnership, she said. For the partners, it can seem like “Brown students swoop in, and then they leave,” she said.
Sophie Yan ’16, a community fellow for Connect for Health, an organization previously known as Health Leads, which serves families at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Pawtucket, said her work has taught her a great deal about navigating privilege.
Prior to joining Connect for Health, Yan worked with other volunteer organizations on campus but felt unfulfilled at the end of her first year. Working with Connect for Health “helped me realize what bothered me so much about the community service that I was doing before,” said Yan, a former Herald staff writer.
Yan said she was not “critically examining” the circumstances of her volunteer work, which left her feeling helpless.
But advocates do understand that “we’re not doing this work because we’re special,” Yan said. “We’re not superheroes in any way,” she said, adding that all advocates undergo weekly training sessions during which they discuss aspects of social justice work and necessary skills for their role.
‘Back to its roots’
While drafting its strategic plan, members of the Swearer Center solicited community feedback on their proposal to foster stronger relationships between Brown students and community partners. One of the partners responded with the words, “Swearer has come back to its roots” in working directly with the community members the center seeks to help, said Swearer Center Director Mathew Johnson.
Shimberg said the process of soliciting community feedback relates to the concept of subsidiarity, which means that “the people closest to the work should be deciding what is appropriate.”
When Margaret House ’17 began interning for Planned Parenthood Rhode Island, she was struck by how poorly she understood the problems of the women seeking abortions. As a patient advocate and counsel, House is tasked with offering advice on reproductive health, contraception and post-surgical precautions.
“I tell them to take it easy for the next few days. Don’t lift anything heavy,” House said. But many patients cannot afford to heed this advice, House said. Patients often report to work the next day to avoid having their supervisors know about the abortion. Many also have small children at home and do not have any relatives willing to step in to allow them to rest.
“Sometimes what people need isn’t what you think they need,” House said, emphasizing the importance of tapping into the lived experience of many Providence residents.
While Brennan now oversees Let’s Get Ready, he started out as a participant in the program during high school. Having been in his students’ shoes only a few years before, Brennan tailors his college preparation advice to their specific needs. With access to information about students’ household incomes, Brennan helps students select colleges based on the likelihood of receiving comprehensive financial aid packages.
He also makes sure that his students are not discouraged by the large sticker prices of competitive institutions, since many have good financial aid programs. Many of his high school peers only applied to less competitive institutions, which may have less generous financial aid packages.
“I saw a lot of my peers make that mistake, applying to colleges where an acceptance was no more than a pat on the back in the end,” Brennan said. “Slowly they got locked out of options.”
Brennan also draws on his experience as a student in LGR to make his coaches — all of whom are Brown students — more aware of the language of accomplishment they use around students from underserved high schools. As a high school student, he walked into a class with Brown coaches expecting “super smart kids” and began blaming himself for failing to measure up to their achievements.
To avoid inadvertently making students feel inadequate, Brennan urges his coaches to contextualize their experiences. For instance, if coaches choose to share their AP scores, Brennan asks them to add that they had study guides to prepare for the AP exams. If a coach is explaining their high school cancer research project, Brennan asks them to explain how they were able to secure a position in a lab through family contacts, he added.
“Accomplishments don’t just pop up miraculously for people who happen to be blessed with them. Some people know how to navigate these things,” Brennan said, adding that coaches’ acknowledgment of their privilege prevents students from being defeatist about their own educational prospects.
“We want to show that Brown is possible,” Brennan said. “It’s not like coaches have some remarkable ability. They worked hard at what they did, and that’s how they got here.”
Four years or forever
For some students, community engagement is more than a co-curricular or extracurricular activity. Social service work is where they discover their calling.
Writer’s Group Community Fellow Will Adams ’16 entered Brown unsure of his career path. Four years later, Adams is certain that he wants to continue facilitating creative writing workshops for adults with developmental disabilities after graduation.
“I’ve loved it enough to know that it’s what I want to do with my life,” Adams said. “We were providing something that was wanted.”
While on the wrestling team at Brown, Billy Watterson ’15.5 reluctantly participated in the team’s outreach efforts at a local school. Just as he was about to walk into a classroom, a teacher pulled him aside. The teacher told Watterson that many of the students in class were low-income.
Watterson, a former Herald contributing writer, recalled asking students what their dream jobs were. The answers he received included working in a grocery store and a gas station, he said.
As a middle school student, Watterson received poor grades while trying to manage his attention deficit disorder. Wrestling was the reason he stayed in school and attended college, Watterson said, adding that “it turned my life around.”
Watterson said he was shocked to see the state of middle school sports in most Providence public schools. During his junior year, he started Beat the Streets, a nonprofit committed to starting wrestling teams in schools across Providence.
For Watterson, the decision to settle in Providence after graduation and expand Beat the Streets was a no-brainer. The Swearer Center enabled him to work on Beat the Streets full-time through an Embark Post-Graduate Fellowship, which provides funding to graduating students pursuing social and commercial entrepreneurship in Providence.
Watterson urged fellow Brunonians to “shift their mindset” and consider building longterm relationships in Providence.“These kids have had so many people walk in and walk out of their lives,” he said. “If you disappear, it’s worse than if you never provided it at all.”
Recently, House has found herself reflecting on the debt of gratitude she owes Providence for the part the city has played in her education.
“We take a lot from it as students. We should consider sticking around,” she said.
In Shimberg’s view, students can invest in the future of a social justice organization or movement without physically remaining in Providence after graduation. They can accomplish this by empowering individuals around them to continue their work.
“It’s not the bodies. It’s the knowledge we want to stay,” Shimberg said.
A lasting impact
Adams does not know whether data exists that confirm the positive influence Writers’ Group has made on its participants. But Adams said he hopes the program succeeded “inasmuch as we made people happy for an hour once a week and made them feel that what they had to say was important.”
Writers’ Group differs from other Swearer and Brown programs in that it does not have an advocacy component. But Adams sees some similarities.
“We’re similar in that we think that creative writing encourages a feeling of agency and empowerment,” Adams said. Allowing the participants to express their own ideas outside of the confines of their daily lives is a powerful experience, he added.
Connect for Health advocates maintain relationships with their clients over extended periods of time as they work together to find resources, aiming to extend the impact of their service work.
Sarah Grace ’16, a Connect for Health community fellow, noted that more often than not, the work amounts to finding a Thanksgiving gift basket or diapers. Still, these relationships can have huge effects on both parties.
“The conversations we have with families are, yes, about connecting resources and also about validating the experiences people have,” Grace said. People thank the advocates for simply listening to them discuss their situations, even if the advocates cannot find everything they need, she said.
Those experiences are validating for both the family and the advocate, Yan said. But she noted that the advocates must strike a “balance between making yourself feel like a good person and actually making an impact.” The organization seeks students who are willing to make a lasting emotional commitment to the families, she added.
House said by gaining a wealth of new perspectives, she has helped herself more than anyone else in her work at Planned Parenthood. “I don’t pretend that I have done anything big,” she said.“I hope I have used my privileges to make someone’s life better, if only for a day.””

(showing 10) Show All