StudentsReview :: Lawrence University

Earlham College -- Richmond, IN

Lawrence University

LU Campus News

Jan 01, 2014
“The Vikings drove down to Illinois for a two-game road trip last weekend, where they held on to win 49-45 against the Lake Forest Foresters Friday night but couldn't keep the momentum going against the Illinois College Blue Boys as they lost 79-60 Saturday.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Though I do not know if you attended Monday night's World Music Series Performance by Cedric Watson and Bijou Creole, I feel as though I must confess a few things. Chief among them is that, had my editor not recommended I review the performance, I may never have attended this astounding show.”

Jan 01, 2014
“This last Sunday night, I should have been writing two papers. They determine my grades, which determine my GPA, which determines my overall success in life.
Despite this, I chose to get into an argument with a fellow Plantzonian instead of getting another much-needed dose of caffeine into my veins.”

Jan 01, 2014
“***Michael Mizrahi, Assistant Professor of Music, came to Lawrence in 2009, fresh from several years within the New York City classical music scene. A graduate of the University of Virginia -- B.A. in religion and music -- and the Yale School of Music -- M.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Continuing their recent struggles, the Lawrence women's basketball lost at Lake Forest and Illinois Colleges last weekend, stretching their conference losing streak to 57 games.
The Foresters of Lake Forest College (9-8, 7-5 MWC) took a first-half lead and never looked back last Friday night, eventually going on to win 76-48.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Last Friday evening, the Lawrence University Jazz Band played its first concert of the term for a small but enthusiastic audience in the Lawrence Memorial Chapel. The band delivered an energetic performance, which featured impressively tight ensemble playing and exciting arrangements.”

Jan 01, 2014
“At a school as small and tight-knit as Lawrence, everything on campus seems to have a story. From the bridges to the buildings, people willing to slow down for a moment and take a look around can find Lawrence's landscape rich in history, and not just the archaic kind - no offense, Amos!
For example, the clock tower outside the east entrance to Main Hall has more to it than being a place for people to hang posters.”

Jan 01, 2014
“An email from President Jill Beck informed the student body Friday, Feb. 4 that Professor of Art History Michael Orr had been appointed as Provost and Dean of the Faculty at Lake Forest College.
For Orr, this appointment follows over 20 years of teaching, administrative involvement and scholarship at Lawrence University.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Valentine's Day is nearly here, and with that in mind I'd like to direct my energy towards love and the appreciation of those who inspire love within me. Love is the most powerful drug. It can drive men mad; it can make women swoon. I know personally it's been both wonderful and very painful at times.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Dear Evan, This past weekend I was invited to go to VR with some friends. Unfortunately I had to turn them down because I'm strapped for cash these days, and alcohol doesn't exactly encourage fiscal responsibility. This led to a discussion of why we should be able to use Culinary Cash at the VR.”

I hereby reaffirm

Jan 01, 2014
“I spent my first year at Lawrence not feeling great - staying up too late, going out too much and doing many other impractical things.
It wasn't until the summer after my freshman year - when I worked as a SLUG intern - that I began to discover the art of waking up early.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Q: Aaron Rodgers may have just become the most famous product of Cal football since the phrase "The Stanford band is on the field!" entered the lexicon. But he's not the only quarterback in the NFL to have graduated from the University of California -- what current Oakland Raider and former Baltimore Raven was a Golden Bear in college before being drafted in 2003?

Jan 01, 2014
“Rose Tepper: Indoor Track How do you get ready for a meet the day before at practice? Whatdo you do to prepare? My pre-meet practice usually consists of our usual warm-up, a few short sprints and then only a small amount of jumping. The majority of my jumping practice is done earlier in the week so I have time to rest up my legs before competition.”

Jan 01, 2014
“For the Lawrence indoor track team, last weekend's Pointer Invitational at UW-Stevens Point was highlighted by Rose Tepper's NCAA-tournament-qualifying performance in the high jump.
Tepper, a sophomore, cleared a height of 1.67 meters to provisionally qualify for the NCAA Championships, held March 11 and 12 at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio.”

Jan 01, 2014
“The Lawrence University hockey team swept Northland College last weekend in a pair of games dominated by the Vikings. Lawrence displayed their talent on both offense and defense, and a couple of Vikings earned weekly conference awards for their stellar play.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Thousands of Egyptians took to the streets Jan. 25 in an anti-government protest motivated by rallying on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter. There have been continuous demands for constitutional reform and an ousting of President Hosni Mubarak, who has been Egypt's authoritarian leader for the past 30 years.”

Jan 01, 2014
“It's no secret that a cup of steaming coffee is scalding hot or that crackling electrical wires will shock you if you touch them. What is mind-boggling is how eager Americans are to sue for the slightest grievance or wrong they feel has been inflicted against them -- often expecting extraneous monetary compensation for problems they may have caused themselves.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Mary Jane Jacob's convocation earlier this week focused on art as a collaborative process, one which often has to take place outside of museums in order to truly matter to a larger audience. In a museum, art, according to Jacob, is "isolated from human conditions.”

Jan 01, 2014
“The Lawrentian offers students, faculty and staff the opportunity to engage in open dialogue with one another through writing articles, submitting Letters to the Editor and commenting on our website. Inherent to the form of a paper is the necessary formulation of ideas prior to submission for publication.”

Jan 01, 2014
“Many students at Lawrence have an interesting story of how they got here and became interested in their field of study. But it seems that most people, especially in the fine arts, arrive here with a good idea of what they want to pursue. However, when George Ziegler came to Lawrence four years ago, he did not want to study studio art.”

Jan 01, 2014
“While perusing The A.V. Club's top 15 films of the year, the screenshot from Banksy's documentary-styled "Exit Through The Gift Shop" really grabbed my attention - say what you will about judging a piece of art by its cover.
The screen grab simply depicted a man wearing loose-fitting, paint-splattered athletic pants and a hoodie with the hood up, face completely blacked out.”

Jan 01, 2014
“I should preface the following paragraphs with a brief summary of my athletic history: While my family watched football on occasion, we followed figure skating closer than the NFL. My dad grew up outside of Chicago, and my mom moved all over the world for my grandpa's work in the Air Force.”

Jan 01, 2014
“In an effort to continue increasing the transparency and accountability of LUCC, the administration of LUCC will be publishing an LUCC Newsletter once per term. This letter will contain information enlightening the Lawrence community of LUCC's business during the previous term.”

Mary Jane Jacob addresses collaboration between art and community

Jan 01, 2013
“In keeping with this year's theme for the 2010-2011 Convocation Series, Innovation through Collaboration, Mary Jane Jacob, the third speaker in the series spoke in the Memorial Chapel Tuesday, Feb. 7, delivering a talk titled "The Collective Creative Process.”

Senior Ruiz conducts Mexican Orchestra in Mexico City

Jan 01, 2013
“Senior Rodrigo Ruiz conducted his orchestral debut with the Mexican Orchestra of the Arts Feb. 6 at a concert in the Sala Nezahualcóyotl in Mexico City.
Ruiz, who will return to Lawrence spring term of this year to give his senior piano recital and to graduate, has been on leave from Lawrence for fall and winter terms.”

Prof & Chicago MCs bring the heat for Hip-Hop Congress

Jan 01, 2012
“Saturday, February 5, Hip-Hop Congress welcomed a motley crew of hip-hop artists to campus. The show was held in Greenfire basement, a house known for hosting popular parties featuring Lawrence bands.
This concert marked HHC's second event on campus; in the fall, HHC held a benefit concert in Esch Studio, which included performances by two Chicago-based visiting hip-hop artists.”

Prof & Chicago MCs bring the heat for Hip-Hop Congress

Feb 09, 2011

Senior Ruiz conducts Mexican Orchestra in Mexico City

Feb 09, 2011

Feb 10, 2011
“I was surprised by the email Jill Beck sent out toward the end of fall term about the new Wellness Center. I was not surprised that they were moving counseling services into the rec center - after all, they needed somewhere to put all of the extra students they didn't think were going to come to Lawrence.”

Feb 10, 2011
“In honor of the Harvester of Heart's day on Monday, here is a playlist of songs revolving around lust - and its closely related and often confused-with cousin, love. 1. James Pants, "Darlin'" From the name, James Pants, you get a sense of his music's quirkiness.”

Mary Jane Jacob addresses collaboration between art and community

Wrapped up in books

Feb 03, 2011
“The six-week break means only a few things for me: temp jobs, books and Christmas flavors at all the chain coffee shops - which makes me miss Appleton more than anything else. And of course, bookstores.
When I'm home, my lust for more books is insatiable; maybe it's just my boredom that conveys me almost daily to the bookstore, from which I never return empty-handed.”

Importance
Conchordance takes a road trip to Missouri

Feb 03, 2011
“Up until last Thursday I'd been rather disappointed at the lack of a cappella music on campus. To be honest, I'd expected the cheesy choral covers of "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Pokerface" would be an almost non-stop guilty pleasure. Yet, when I finally did find come across some a cappella music, it wasn't at all what I had expected.”

The other new year

Feb 03, 2011
“This might sound strange, but in a few parts of the world, 2011 just started at 11 p.m on Wednesday and it has nothing to do with the time difference. It is certainly a strange experience to spend the Lunar New Year in Econometrics and make it through "New Year's Eve" in snow instead of fireworks.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Dear Evan, While I'm not really into sports, I support Chicago teams since I'm from the Chicagoland area. Naturally, I was disappointed to see "Da Bears" fall to our rival Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship game. Since I no longer have a vested interest in the outcome, I was wondering: is it worth it to watch the Super Bowl this Sunday - and should I root for the Packers since LU is in Cheesehead territory? Thanks, Sad Bear at a snowy picnic table Hi, Sad Bear.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Men's basketball St. Norbert 11-2 15-3 Ripon 9-4 11-7 Carroll 7-4 9-7 Lawrence 8-5 9-9 Illinois College 7-5 11-6 Grinnell 6-6 11-6 Lake Forest 6-6 8-9 Beloit 5-6 6-10 Monmouth 1-10 3-13 Knox 0-12 1-16 Women's basketball St. Norbert 12-1 16-2 Monmouth 9-2”

Feb 03, 2011
“Q: Last Wednesday night's game between the New York Islanders and Pittsburgh, a 3-0 win for the Penguins, featured what ridiculous event in the final minute? A: A fight between the two goalies. When Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro apparently tripped a Pittsburgh forward, his counterpart, veteran Brent Johnson, took offense and expressed it in a surprising way.”

Women's basketball continues slump

Feb 03, 2011
“The Viking women's basketball team fell to 0-17 on the year with a loss to the Carroll University Pioneers Saturday at Alexander Gymnasium.
The Pioneers jumped out of the gate with a 19-10 advantage with 10 minutes to go in the first half, but the Vikings trimmed the lead to just three points with 6:49 left.”

Hockey loses twice against MSOE

Feb 03, 2011
“The Lawrence men's hockey team dropped a pair of games to the nationally ranked Milwaukee School of Engineering this weekend. The Vikings (9-9-1, 7-7-0 MCHA) have now lost four games in a row, all to nationally ranked opponents, as they were swept by Adrian College in last weekend's series.”

Importance
Men's BB scores big, splits two-game set

Feb 03, 2011
“The past week has been a roller coaster ride for the Lawrence Vikings' men's hoops fans, as the Vikings ran out to a big win over Carroll University 85-65 last Saturday, but lost a close matchup 84-80 in Tuesday night's contest against Ripon College.
Saturday afternoon, the Vikings began slowly against the Carroll Pioneers (9-7, 7-4 MWC), and it wasn't until 9:21 remained in the first half that the Vikings took their first lead of the game.”

Importance
Lack of background information in news and social media

Feb 03, 2011
“A few hundred years ago, a mob of individuals destroyed about $3.5 million worth of assets owned by a large company as a means of protest. All of these individuals were never apprehended for their actions. I have, in a very unspecific way, just described the Boston Tea Party.”

Standing on Vikings' shoulders

Feb 03, 2011
“Trivia was awesome, to begin with.
While sleep deprivation and wallowing in garbage at the "We Went Greek Because Kappa Kappa Awesome Was Too Selective" team's Trivia table probably cost me some sophistication points, it was a great time. I definitely plan on modifying that memory in my later years and using it in my mandatory nostalgic "college is the best time of your life" talk with future young folk.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Last week, I had one of those days in class during which I wondered if I wanted to stay in school forever. I could probably attribute this to the regular "senior questioning all decisions made" feeling. But this time around was a little different, because I was concerned with what school actually did/does for me.”

Chicago Mayoral Election

Feb 03, 2011
“In less than three weeks, a Chicago election will decide the future of the nation's second most powerful mayoral post. Like New York's Bloombergian Monarchy, Chicago's mayorship has been held for ages by one powerful figure. Richard M. Daley, son of former Chicago-King Richard J.”

Importance
Sat. Nite Duets bring great vibes "All Nite Long"

Feb 03, 2011
“I could write a clever lead to preface this review, but in the slacker spirit of the band in question, I'm not going to do so. I think I'll just go down a few Hamm's in the shower with my bros and jam out to tunes. Maybe some slouchy '90s American indie bands; you know, just guitars and drums and maybe some keyboards, man.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Junior Emily Owens equally enjoys painting and playing flute, but she certainly sees a difference between the two areas when it comes to practicing them.
"To me, it's more of a meditative practice to paint, and practicing my flute is more of a very intense study," Owens noted.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Sometimes a comedy comes along that is so stupid that it just works. "Dumb and Dumber" is one such film. For those who haven't seen the film, the title should give away more than enough.
Written and directed by the Farrelly brothers in 1994, "Dumb and Dumber" follows the clueless pair Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne on their journey across the country to return a briefcase to a beautiful woman.”

Meet the Staff

Feb 03, 2011
“Meet Irene Janos, administrative assistant at the Office of Alumni and Constituency Engagement.
Janos has been a staff member at Lawrence since 1973 - a little over 37 years. When she began her career here, Janos was mainly responsible for grant writing as a secretary in Sampson House.”

Tips from a townie

Feb 03, 2011
“Movies: probably the most common answer to "what should we do?" Whether new or old, comedy or thriller, at home or in the theater, movies can entertain for hours on end - Hobbit marathon, anyone?
But even this favorite Lawrentian pastime gets old after watching Gollum "unexpectedly" sneak up behind Sam for the bazillionth time - and for once you just wish Frodo would fight back and an epic battle of Harfoot vs.”

Feb 03, 2011
“Here at the London Centre Winter 2010-2011, we're a family. A crazy, varied, 12-person family that probably wouldn't have known each other in Appleton, but a family nonetheless. We share family dinners twice a week, go to Paris together, plan movie dates and, of course, share tube rides.”

Feb 03, 2011
“TR: If you think that you and your date never run out of things to talk about… NI: Stop it! TR: …and are willing to brave winds blowing at 53 m.p.h. to put that theory to the test… NI: Oh, come on! TR: …stop by Apollon on 207 N Appleton Street to - NI: It wasn't that bad! TR: We were waiting for 45 minutes! NI: The food was good.”

Importance
Research grants offer opportunities for student projects and learning

Feb 03, 2011
“Posters from the Alumni Office have recently been placed around campus advertising several grants available to students. Each grant has a unique history, sponsorship and cause.
The Eloise Frick Cherven Memorial Fund was established in memory of Eloise Frick Cherven '76.”

I hereby reaffirm

Jan 27, 2011
“My early attempts at writing this essay - and they were many - didn't amount to much. I wanted to write about something I love - music, the friends I've made here, something like that - but the words never lived up to the feeling behind it all. It's not easy, it turns out, to describe what a performance feels like, or why I care for the people I care about.”

Jan 27, 2011
“So, Luke was, for several years, under the impression that these things were done through shuffling one's iPod, so we started with Spiritualized and went from there. 1. Spiritualized, "Cop Shoot Cop" We decided to start with this track because it's awesome.”

Jan 27, 2011
“Dear Evan, I'm new around these parts and I'm wondering, what is Trivia and why are these smelly bums in my dorm's lobby? Sincerely, -Noob OMGZORS Trivia! Ahem - excuse me. Yes, The Great Midwest Trivia Contest is this weekend. One of the many great things about my predecessor in this column, Drew Baumgartner, is that he was last year's Trivia Grand Master.”

Jan 27, 2011
“Men's basketball St. Norbert 10-2 14-3 Ripon 8-3 10-6 Carroll 7-3 9-6 Lawrence 7-4 8-8 Illinois College 6-5 10-6 Lake Forest 6-5 8-8 Grinnell 5-6 10-6 Beloit 5-6 6-10 Monmouth 1-10 3-13 Knox 0-11 1-15 Women's basketball St. Norbert 11-1 15-2 Monmouth 9-2”

Importance
Hockey loses twice to ranked Adrian

Jan 27, 2011
“The Lawrence University hockey team dropped a pair of games to nationally ranked Adrian College last weekend. Adrian is ranked ninth in the U.S., but the Vikings showed no fear in going head-to-head with one of the elite teams in the country.
In the opener of the double-header, the Vikings appeared poised to pull off an upset, leading 3-1 midway through the second period.”

Importance
Swimmers win one, lose one

Jan 27, 2011
“The Lawrence University Swim Team was tested in last weekend's triangular in Lake Forest, finishing second in the three-team meet. The men's and women's teams bested the Carroll University Pioneers 68-33 and 76-24 respectively. Lake Forest, however, pulled away with a pair of wins, scoring wins of 92-13 against the men and 81-32 against the women.”

Women's basketball continues slump

Jan 27, 2011
“Freshman point guard Cory Paquette led Lawrence with 21 points and six rebounds, but the Vikings fell short, losing 66-54 to Knox College (5-10, 4-6 MWC) Friday night in Alexander Gymnasium. Jenny Haskell and Kelly Ricketts each scored 20 points for the Prairie Fire en route to their fourth conference win.”

Rocky Rococo Invitational tough for track

Jan 27, 2011
“The Lawrence University indoor track team faced some tough competition at the Rocky Rococo Invitational at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater last weekend, winning only one event. After all was said and done, the men's team stood in ninth place out of 15 teams, while the women's team took 14th.”

Participation and process

Jan 27, 2011
“Editor's note: Steven Nordin is chairperson of the Polling, Elections and Leadership Committee of LUCC. The views expressed here are his own, not those of LUCC or its other representatives. Last week, my colleagues and friends on the staff of The Lawrentian took issue with the publicity of the LUCC Executive Election and the manner in which it was run.”

Jan 27, 2011
“In a strange turn of events, WLFM received a book instead of a CD in the mail. Whomever was opening packages that day dutifully marked down the date we received it and set it out in our common area for anyone to peruse. Even though it is technically against our rules, I borrowed the book.”

Jan 27, 2011
“Two Lawrence traditions, Trivia Weekend and Winter Carnival, will occur within the next two weeks. The former needs little introduction among readers of The Lawrentian and the latter will be remembered by many alumni and faculty. Winter Carnival was first held in 1933 and included activities such as ice carving and sledding - activities that will again take place this year.”

Joe Lovano updates "Bird" standards

Jan 27, 2011
“As a result of the rich jazz tradition, contemporary jazz musicians routinely play 80-year-old standard jazz tunes on gigs and even on their latest albums. The jazz community is so adamant about honoring this tradition that many new jazz releases are actually remastered classic jazz albums.”

Jan 27, 2011
“Nate Peterson has been involved in several theater productions throughout his life, but one role was particularly memorable. When he was a sophomore at Lawrence, Peterson played the role of Michal in "The Pillowman." Michal gruesomely murders several children throughout the play, so the role added a new challenge for Peterson.”

Importance
Smith Westerns save rock and roll with "Dye it Blonde"

Jan 27, 2011
“Rock and roll is at its essence an expression of simple emotion. Joy and frustration have both served many budding songwriters well, particularly when underscored with a vague sexuality. Joy and frustration have provided the soundtrack for many a juvenile pariah's game of "she-loves-me-not" over the past 50 years.”

Miss Havisham haunts Ormsby attic

Jan 27, 2011
“Living in close quarters with 100 other students introduces you to all sorts of neighbors like the loud ones, the mysterious ones or the ones with the futon and television. But for Ormsby Hall residents, some neighbors are more than just annoying; some are not from this realm.”

Importance
SOL Studios offers alternative recording solution

Jan 27, 2011
“As a freshman, I traveled from basement to birthday party in a dogged search for the elusive band of drum-wielding upper-termers and their offbeat opening acts. I rarely found them, and the weekends without ironic covers of Aretha Franklin or improvisation on the tambourine left me in low spirits.”

Reflections on life as a Residence Life Advisor

Jan 27, 2011
“I opened the door to my single room in Trever and set a stack of envelopes down on my study table. The room next to mine played loud music between 6 and 8 p.m. but I came home early enough to catch the end of a rousing heavy-metal set list. I slid out of my shoes and let them dry in a corner where my trek to and from Memorial Hall on a snowy winter day collected in a puddle on my welcome mat.”

LUCC Update

Jan 27, 2011
“After an uncontested election, J.R. Vanko was elected to the position of LUCC President and Carl Byers to the position of LUCC Vice-President. They will assume office begining March 1, 2011. The cabinet application process has begun, and applications are available from the LUCC office on the fourth floor of Warch Campus Center.”

Importance
Spoerl Lecture series opens with "High Tech Trash"

Jan 27, 2011
“As part of the Barbara Gray Spoerl Lectures in Science and Society series, Lawrence hosted Elizabeth Grossman Wednesday, Jan. 26. Grossman delivered a talk titled "High Tech Trash: The E-Waste Explosion and What We Can Do About It."
The Spoerl lectures are held in conjunction with the environmental studies department's Symposium on Environmental Topics course.”

Lawrence revives Winter Carnival tradition

Jan 27, 2011
“The Lawrence University Winter Carnival will take place Feb. 4 and 5 at various locations around campus. The revival of the event is the brainchild of Student Affairs in an effort to enliven Winter Term.
All activities throughout the weekend are free. Among other events, the weekend will include a broomball tournament, an ice sculpture contest and the President's Winter Carnival ball.”

LUST swims to middle of U of C field

Jan 20, 2011
“The Lawrence University Swim Team put on a good showing last weekend at the University of Chicago Invitational, with both the men and women taking fifth place out of nine teams in the overall standings. The men and women scored a total of 388 and 271 points respectively after 40 events.”

Importance
Abortion should not be used as birth control

Jan 20, 2011
“In my previous article I discussed teen pregnancy and noted that according to the Center for Disease Control, teen pregnancy rates are higher in the so-called "red states" than in the "blue states." What I did not have enough space to write about in that article, however, is that abortion rates among teens in blue states are much higher than those in red states.”

The power of love

Jan 20, 2011
“To some, love is a four-letter word for a business transaction. To others, love is an all-you-can-eat buffet. I don't have any money and I'm not hungry right now, so I will not be talking about either of these types of love. For those who differ, please feel free to put down this newspaper in favor of the city pages or the Old Country Buffet menu, both of which have merit in their own right.”

Jan 20, 2011
“Hi Evan, Elections for LUCC president and vice-president were held this week, yet there was only one person running for each of these positions. What was the point of an election if only these two people were running, and are elections always this lackluster? - Concerned tuition-payer of Lawrence Great question, Concerned! I feel for this subject; I will depart from the normal sarcastic style of this column and speak seriously on the topic.”

St. Norbert 7-2 11-3
St. Norbert 8-1 12-2
Monmouth 6-2 8-4
Il”

Jan 20, 2011
“Q: With campus buzzing with trash talk about Sunday's Bears-Packers NFC Championship game, a discussion of history seems in order. In their storied 181-game history, the two teams have met in the playoffs… how many times? A: Only once. Though they both made it to the playoffs in 1994 and 2001, the Bears and Packers didn't manage to play each other in either year.”

Importance
Women's basketball loses squeaker, blowout

Jan 20, 2011
“The Lawrence University women's basketball team trekked into the depths of Iowa and Illinois last weekend, losing to Grinnell and Monmouth Colleges in a pair of Midwest Conference battles.
Though the Vikings have yet to notch a victory this year, any fan in attendance Friday night at Grinnell's Darby Gymnasium would have guessed otherwise.”

Importance
Track scores modest success in opener

Jan 20, 2011
“The Lawrence University indoor track team won three events at the season-opening Pointer Open, held last Saturday at UW-Stevens Point.
In the women's 800-meter run, sophomore Amanda Dwyer beat out junior Rachel Young with a time of 2:44.85 to finish first.”

Hockey tames lowly Lions

Jan 20, 2011
“The Lawrence University hockey team got a short-handed goal from Josh DeSmit in the second game of their weekend doubleheader, which proved to be the clincher of a weekend sweep over the Finlandia Lions.
The Vikings (9-5-1, 7-3-0 MCHA) got off to a fast start to the weekend series with a 5-3 victory Friday night in the opener.”

Men's BB blown past by Grinnell, outplays Monmouth

Jan 20, 2011
“Coming off their first conference loss of the season, the Lawrence University men's basketball team traveled to Grinnell, Iowa to face the uniquely up-tempo Pioneer offense, falling in a 104-95 shootout. The Vikings then broke their two-game losing streak by beating Monmouth College 75-67.”

Knowing it all

Jan 20, 2011
“Sept. 11, 2001 is a day our whole generation will remember for the rest of our lives. I can remember exactly where I was and what class I was in when the planes crashed. I'm sure all of you reading can remember where you were as well. As Americans, our sense of security went with the towers and it seems we still haven't recovered it.”

Bombing in Stockholm

Jan 20, 2011
“Over winter break, I was in Sweden living in a small town just outside of Stockholm. After I got back from a weekend trip to Helsinki - without cell phones or Internet access - the Metro, a Swedish newspaper, screamed "Hundreds Could Have Died" from its headlines.”

Jan 20, 2011
“I'm not going to lie. I was expecting emails to flood my inbox after my last column. I thought that everyone would be upset that I had declared "Imma Be" by the Black Eyed Peas one of the worst songs of the year. Apparently, you all agree.
Maybe the swings I've been taking at all kind of cultural products have been too wide.”

Jan 20, 2011
“At the start of spring term, a new LUCC executive board will take office. Although only one candidate ran for president and one for vice president, elections were held on Monday and Tuesday in the Warch Campus Center.
Whether the final number of candidates resulted from a lack of interest among the student body or sparse publicity from LUCC - or a combination of several factors - we find the scenario unfortunate.”

Jan 20, 2011
“Jake Crowe has played saxophone in about every possible ensemble at Lawrence. From the Jazz Ensemble to the LSO, he's done it all. But saxophone wasn't how Crowe entered the music world.
His first real interest in music began in the fifth grade when he performed in a musical version of Hansel and Gretel.”

Wrapped up in books

Jan 20, 2011
“I read Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" my freshman year of high school with a mocha frappuccino in one hand and a pile of astrology books at my feet. In the book, Klosterman writes about things that were relevant to me at the time, such as "emo," that strange sub-genre of music.”

Jan 20, 2011
“Here are a bunch of songs I like by bands with front women. The term "front woman" does not appear in Merriam-Webster. Clearly, this is a significant oversight. 1. Wanda Jackson, "Funnel of Love" Wanda Jackson got screwed. An aggressive, rebellious, integrationist rockabilly singer in the mid 1950s, she just couldn't beat anyone into listening to her.”

Importance
Weeping Willards branch out on diverse new album

Jan 20, 2011
“College bands have it tough in many ways. Trying to hone your craft while shouldered with 100 pages of reading each night isn't easy - neither is the search for practice space or the schedule magic required to meet. It's even more complicated when the musicians are scattered across the nation.”

Wu-Tang Clan brings the ruckus to Chicago on Rebirth Tour

Jan 20, 2011
“After 19 long years, the Wu-Tang Clan is still alive and well. On Jan. 8 massive lines wrapped around both sides of the Congress Theater in Chicago with people all coming to pay their respects to the legendary Staten Island hip-hop group.
Que Billah and Shocking Truth was the first band to take the stage.”

"Inception" transcends blockbuster stereotype

Jan 20, 2011
“You can tell a lot about a film by its release date. Generally, films that have the strongest chance of being up for both the Golden Globes and the Academy Awards get released during the final few months of the year.
Anticipated blockbuster films are released over holiday weekends, specifically Memorial Day, Christmas and the Fourth of July, or during the summer months.”

Meet the Staff

Jan 20, 2011
“Meet Jessa Dukelow, associate director of Lawrence University's Office of Alumni and Constituency Engagement. A native Wisconsinite, Dukelow started her career at Lawrence in 2007, having graduated from Lawrence in 2002.
A devout Lawrentian, Dukelow works to keep alumni engaged by planning campus reunions and organizing regional events.”

Jan 20, 2011
“It was close to midnight in the city that goes to sleep at 11 - at least, that's when all the pubs close. My fellow Lawrentians and I were huddling together in a crowd of thousands, watching the minutes tick by on one of the most famous clocks in the world.”

Jan 20, 2011
“Associate Professor of Chinese Jane Parish Yang has been teaching at Lawrence since 1991. Yang earned a doctorate in Chinese Literature from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and attended the University of Iowa for her graduate degree in Asian Studies. After earning her doctorate, she taught at Colby College, Oberlin College and UW-Milwaukee.”

Importance
Viking Room offers incentives to increase attendance

Jan 20, 2011
“Lawrence's on-campus bar, the Viking Room, continues to undergo improvements after numerous management shifts and lagging attendance.
"We're trying to create a lot of interest," said Bon Appétit Night Manager Kevin Biesack. Biesack noted new programming plans: Tall Boy Tuesdays, offering PBR tall boys for $1.”

Accident raises concerns about College Avenue safety

Jan 20, 2011
“A Lawrence student was struck by a car and injured at the College Avenue crosswalk near the Seeley G. Mudd Library at about 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. The student - anonymous by request - suffered from a few broken elbow bones and a knee injury.
The official Lawrence University media statement regarding the accident offered the following: "The cause of this accident is undeniable.”

Importance
Deastro plays lively café show

Nov 11, 2010
“While many students shared a litter box at Beta's Beach Bash or discovered the true recreational spirits of ORC at the America party last Saturday, others found true musical artistry in the Warch Campus Center Café. Sponsored by LU's Band Booking Committee, the synth-heavy Detroit band Deastro brought a show that was both entertaining and impressive.”

Former Ambassador Perina delivers first Polvony lecture of 2010-2011

Nov 11, 2010
“Last Monday, former ambassador and Stephen Edward Scarff Memorial Distinguished Visiting Professor Rudolf Perina spoke about the ongoing ethnic conflicts in former Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union.
The first in the 2010 Povolny lecture series, the lecture marked the 15th anniversary of the Dayton Accords, the peace agreement that ended the Bosnian war.”

Importance
Hockey continues strong start to season

Nov 11, 2010
“The Lawrence University hockey team has gotten this year's season off on the right foot, opening with three wins in four games. In the process, head coach Mike Szkodzinski became the winningest coach in school history.
Szkodzinski, who is only in his fifth season as coach, passed Dave Ruhly on the all-time list last weekend against Concordia University Wisconsin with the 51st victory of his career.”

Importance
Shootout loss to Ripon ends men's soccer season

Nov 11, 2010
“The Lawrence University men's soccer team suffered a bitter defeat at the hands of the Ripon College Red Hawks in the second semi-final game of the Midwest Conference Tournament. After being tied after 110 minutes of action, the game was decided in penalty kicks and Ripon pulled away to claim a 4-3 advantage to take the victory.”

Nov 11, 2010
“Originally from Mumbai, India, Ameya Balsekar has been an assistant professor of government at Lawrence University for just over a year. He attended Brown University for his bachelor's degree and earned his doctorate at Cornell University. Balsekar specializes in the sub-field of comparative politics, with a focus on India.”

Hot pants discussion

Nov 11, 2010
“I have faced a great struggle over the past few weeks. A weighty question has been at the back of my mind all term and I fear I can hold it in no longer: Why do people choose to wear pants?
Okay, I can understand the basic facilities pants offer: They provide some warmth and they have pockets to hold things in.”

Ask another fifth-year

Nov 11, 2010
“Last year, my friend and fellow theory/composition major Drew Baungartner wrote a weekly column called "Ask a Fith-Year" for The Lawrentian. It was a witty yet informative look at campus issues from someone who had experienced Lawrence over the course of more than four years.”

Final Standings

Nov 11, 2010
“Football St. Norbert 7-2 7-3 Carroll 6-3 7-3 Ripon 6-3 7-3 Monmouth 6-3 6-4 Grinnell 5-4 6-4 Beloit 5-4 5-5 Illinois College 5-4 5-5 Lake Forest 2-7 2-8 Lawrence 2-7 2-8 Knox 1-8 1-9 Men's soccer Ripon 8-1-0 11-7-2 Carroll 8-1-0 12-6-1 Grinnell 7-2-0 9-7-2 Lawrence 6-3-0 9-7-2 Lake Forest 5-4-0 12-6-0 St.”

Nov 11, 2010
“Jordan Holmes Women's soccer What was the best part about beating Carroll last weekend? The fact that we haven't beat them during my four years and it's about time we showed them up! What went through your mind when the buzzer rang and you won the conference tournament? That was the longest 15 seconds of my life.”

Women's soccer upsets Carroll to reach NCAAs

Nov 11, 2010
“Thanks to two upset victories in last weekend's Midwest Conference Tournament, the Lawrence University women's soccer team is headed to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2001.
The third-seeded Vikings (9-8-1, 6-2-1 MWC) had to defeat both the second-seeded Lake Forest Foresters and the top-seeded Carroll Pioneers to advance.”

VR attendance declining

Nov 11, 2010
“If you're of age to spend an evening at the VR, then you've probably noticed the sharp decline in attendance this year. I turned 21 last year, and I was eagerly looking forward to attending the VR on a semi-regular basis. That same sentiment does not seemed to be shared by many Lawrentians this year.”

Gun laws need to change

Nov 11, 2010
“Recently my brother-in-law found out that one of his students from last year, who was very bright and an excellent track runner, had been shot and killed. He was only in eighth grade. My brother-in-law teaches at a charter school in Chicago and knows many kids who have been threatened with or injured by guns.”

Nov 11, 2010
“Harry Potter. A name recognized and loved by the vast majority of people in our age group and one moving back into the spotlight with the upcoming release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One" in theaters Nov. 19.
I still remember my first foray into midnight book release territory, standing giddy with my best friend in a Borders on 95th street in Chicago, trying to remember all of the rumors we had heard and assumptions we had made about J.”

Nov 11, 2010
“In his column "I didn't vote," Andrew Hintzman explains that he didn't vote because the costs of voting outweigh the benefit of negligibly influencing an election. In short, Hintzman didn't vote because he is "rational." I would like to take a closer look at Hintzman's "rationality" and offer a few suggestions that may alter his cost-benefit analysis.”

Affirmation over refutation

Nov 11, 2010
“Paging through the past few weeks' Op/Ed section, one might get the impression that Lawrentians enjoy being angry at one another. If I was reading The Lawrentian from outside the bubble - Quiet, you skeptics! I've seen it happen! I've seen visitors paging through our little weekly publication, on the third floor of the campus center, with their eyebrows furrowed and their mouths slanted sideways in consternation! - I might glean from its pages a warped impression of this campus.”

Nov 11, 2010
“Last winter, Lawrence launched the "Admissions Ambassador" program, which gave current Lawrentians the opportunity to visit their high schools on behalf of the university. Recently, students were contacted to participate during the upcoming break. We suggest a strong emphasis be placed on the geographic distribution of participating high schools.”

Nov 11, 2010
“This list is dedicated to my Modern Art students. 1. Art Brut, "Modern Art" This group takes their name from Jean Dubuffet's post-WWII avant-garde movement, which was inspired by the "brut" or "raw" artworks of the mentally ill. "Modern Art makes me want to rock out!" Obviously.”

Nov 11, 2010
“Although Aviva Milner-Brage will leave Lawrence with a Bachelor of Music degree in clarinet performance, she doesn't plan on making a career with her instrument. She has spent a lot of her time here studying ethnomusicology - the social and cultural aspects of music from both local and global perspectives.”

New in music

Nov 11, 2010
“The term "the LA scene" may at first call to mind a washed-up demographic - a musical climate where hair metal's glitzy squalor still thrives, or where hopefuls compete unsuccessfully against lazy actors with awful musical projects. Yet Los Angeles has been home of late to excellent independent acts: HEALTH, The Mae Shi, Abe Vigoda, Bethany Cosentino's early group Pocahaunted and the defunct Mika Miko all emerged from Los Angeles and acted as parts of the network of bands centered around the all-ages multimedia venue, The Smell.”

The College Gamer

Nov 11, 2010
“I've been an avid fan of the Rock Band series ever since I played the original game two years ago. I later purchased a copy of my own, bought all the necessary fake plastic instruments, downloaded songs in the hundreds and "rocked out" with friends in my tiny dorm room on weekends.”

Nov 11, 2010
“If your ninth week is anything like mine has been, you're probably craving all manner of comfort foods right about now. I don't know about you, but breakfast is my comfort meal of choice. Granola, scones, muffins, eggs... if it's a breakfast food, I'm going to want it.”

Across the pond

Nov 11, 2010
“After deciding that I was going to participate in the Lawrence London Centre program, the warning I heard most often was to not get my hopes up about making British friends. Several previous London Centre students expressed their frustration over that exact problem.”

Nov 11, 2010
“NI: It's a chilly day in the fall of 2007. You and a friend are walking back from Walgreens and decide to stop somewhere for a bite to eat. Chef Chen of Dong Po fame is still cooking at Confucius and won't bring his fusion of Chinese and Japanese cuisine to West Richmond for another few months.”

VCSC hosts "Encounter Poverty" event to raise campus awareness

Nov 11, 2010
“The Volunteer and Community Service Center organized an event called "Encounter Poverty: Two Perspectives" Thursday, Sept. 4 to provide students with multiple perspectives on the subject of poverty and the specific problems facing aid workers from nation to nation.”

The more you know

Nov 04, 2010
“When Al Gore invented the Internet in Bill Clinton's basement nearly 40 years ago he had no idea what a behemoth it would become. All it took was some pieces of hair, a human heart, thousands of tubes and a lightning strike and the Internet - or better yet, the Interwebs, as it is known to experts - was born.”

Standings SE -GP eek

Grinnell 7-2-0 9-6-2
Lawrence 6-3-0 9-7-1
Lake Forest 5-4-0 12-6-0

Nov 04, 2010
“Q1: The recent drama surrounding Randy Moss's 26-day stint with the Minnesota Vikings has only served to highlight the fact that Moss is seemingly crazy. It's no surprise that Moss slipped to the Tennessee Titans, who were the 22nd team in the waiver-wire pecking order and still managed to land him - after all, his talent has been eclipsed by his lack of discipline for more than 15 years.”

Importance
Football holds on, tops Beloit in the end

Nov 04, 2010
“The Lawrence University football team defended its home field against Beloit College last Saturday. The Buccaneers mounted a comeback in the second half after Lawrence had built a big lead in the first, but Lawrence managed to hold on for a 29-23 win.
The Vikings' defense controlled the first three quarters of the game with four interceptions - two by freshman Luke Galle - and one fumble recovery to help them pull out to a 26-point lead.”

Importance
Men's XC takes second, women take seventh at conference

Nov 04, 2010
“The Lawrence University men's and women's cross country teams traveled to Monmouth, Illinois to compete in the Midwest Conference Championships last Saturday. The men's team earned a strong second-place finish, while the women finished seventh.
Sophomore Sam Stevens paced the men's team with a third-place finish in a time of 25:48.”

I didn't vote

Nov 04, 2010
“I know you're disappointed with me, but I'm probably disappointed with you as well. Lawrentians seem to have strong feelings about voting. However, they seem to have weak reasons to vote.
In the weeks prior to the election and especially on Nov. 2, one could expect to be told many times to vote.”

Lost souls

Nov 04, 2010
“Shoes. Shoes are wonderful. So why aren't you wearing any?
I love the hippie, liberal attitude that is present across campus. I own Birkenstocks and torn jeans, and I can appreciate that students are looking for comfort and ease in their daily wardrobe. But really, put some shoes on.”

Losing our patience

Nov 04, 2010
“It is part of our history as humans to build faster and more efficient devices that help us save time and energy. Whether speaking of the invention of the car, which Ford remarked was invented because people wanted a "faster horse," or of Alexander Bell's telephone, the desire for faster technology has remained constant.”

What comes after?

Nov 04, 2010
“"What Comes After?" This is the question that can kill a conversation with upperclassmen. Freshmen can blissfully ignore it, as they have a few years until they are shunted out into the threatening wilderness known as "The Real World".
Upperclassmen, on the other hand, will likely offer one of two responses.”

Nov 04, 2010
“During the week preceding elections, it is always difficult to find news pertaining to things other than who is leading in the polls. I was hoping to have something somebody else wrote to engage with in some way.
Now I'm faced with the choice of writing about things that are vaguely related to my topic or writing about the baby in Paris that fell out of the eighth story of an apartment building and bounced off a café awning into some guy's arms.”

Nov 04, 2010
“Lawrence's campus is divided into three voting districts. Voters in those areas are assigned to Edison Elementary, Riverview Evangelical Lutheran Church and School and Columbus Elementary. Campus Life and several student organizations planned events and campaigns with the intention of aiding and informing eligible Lawrentian voters.”

What's on your Android?

Nov 04, 2010
“1. The National, "Terrible Love" "Terrible Love" is the perfect start to The National's new album, "High Violet," which came out in May. Just as "Fake Empire" - arguably The National's best song - began "Boxer" with a graceful lament - "let's not try to figure out everything at once" - this song starts "High Violet" with a beautifully constructed, emotional four and a half minutes.”

Nov 04, 2010
“After attending a concert in Chicago last spring, Mark Hirsch returned to campus with an idea. The textures in the music he had just heard by contemporary composer John Luther Adams inspired Hirsch to write his first string quartet. This work is now finished and is going to be performed Sunday, Nov.”

Jazz in perspective

Nov 04, 2010
“After my iTunes shuffle played the track "When Will The Blues Leave?" from pianist Paul Bley's album "Footloose!" last Saturday, I knew that I was going to have to compulsively listen to the album for a while. And listen I have. Lately, as I walk throughout campus, I put on my bulky headphones, isolate myself from the outside world and exclusively listen to Bley's 1962 collaboration with bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Pete La Roca.”

Importance
"All of a Sudden I Have to Write Everything"

Nov 04, 2010
“Since it's eighth week and everything, I've found myself looking for music to do homework to more and more frequently. This is a very specific type of music; as much as I would like to, I can't really accomplish anything while listening to Titus Andronicus or The Hold Steady, so I typically turn to instrumental music.”

Cast of "Into the Woods" performs Sondheim's fairytale mash-up story

Nov 04, 2010
“This weekend, Halloween revelry did not only manifest itself in extravagant costumes and bizarre character interactions. If you attended the Lawrence University theater production of "Into the Woods" last Thursday, Friday or Saturday, you may have seen Little Red Riding Hood cajoling Jack of beanstalk fame into stealing a magic harp or Cinderella's and Rapunzel's princes seeking out Sleeping Beauty and Snow White instead.”

Nov 04, 2010
“David Gerard, an economics professor in his second year at Lawrence, has been teaching for 20 years. He earned a doctorate in economics from the University of Illinois and a Bachelor of Science degree in American studies and economics from Grinnell College.”

Lawrence receives "B+" on College Sustainability Report Card for 2011

Nov 04, 2010
“The Sustainable Endowments Institute released The College Sustainability Report Card 2011 Oct. 27. The report gave Lawrence an overall "B+" rating for its efforts to move towards sustainability and energy efficiency.
The Report Card, which evaluates 322 American and Canadian colleges and universities, shows a dramatic increase in sustainability trends on campuses such as commitment to carbon emissions reduction, campus farms or gardens, trayless dining and green building policy.”

Importance
Board of Trustees concludes first meeting of academic year

Nov 04, 2010
“During the week of Oct. 25, the Lawrence University Board of Trustees met for the first time this school year. The trustees meet once per term for a total of three times each academic year. The board's executive committee also meets an additional time during the summer.”

Carroll 5-2 6-2
Ripon 7-1-0 10-6-1
Lawrence 6-2-0 9-5-1
Grinnell 6-2-0 8-6-2

Oct 28, 2010
“Q1: With the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees both eliminated, this year's World Series is being contested by two teams -- the Texas Rangers and the San Francisco Giants -- from west of the Mississippi River. In what year did this last occur, and what two teams faced off in that World Series?
A1: In 2002, the Anaheim Angels defeated Dusty Baker's Giants in an all-California Series.”

NBA 2010-2011

Oct 28, 2010
“The NBA season starts this week, so here's the first part of a two-issue look at all 30 teams and their chances this season. We'll start with a look at the Eastern Conference, where the top three teams remain Orlando, Boston, and LeBron James's team, but the order has changed:
1.”

Oct 28, 2010
“For this week, I think I would like to change the title of my column from "Reading Rights" to "Reading and Writing Rights" or "Reading Writes" -- to make the pun painfully obvious. I want to do this because we've spent some time in my creative writing class talking about the reader's appetite and how the writer's job is to wet that appetite and then satisfy it.”

Preventing binge drinking

Oct 28, 2010
“As young adults, many of us look forward to the day when we finally turn 21 and can go out on the town and drink legally. The reality is, however, that a lot of us do not wait until we are 21 to drink. Underage students often drink on campus in secrecy so security or RLAs don't catch them.”

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy ends-for now

Oct 28, 2010
“As of October 19, 2010, gays and lesbians can now openly serve in the United States armed forces. For the first time in the history of the United States, a person's sexual orientation will no longer dictate whether or not they are allowed to serve. Whether this policy lasts is the real question.”

Oct 28, 2010
“The public image of Lawrence University has undergone a number of changes. The addition of the Warch Campus Center, remodeling of the website and the new "This is Lawrence" video campaign have resulted in a more polished image.
Yet these modifications have also brought the image of Lawrence closer to those of other institutions of higher learning.”

Importance
Lawrence history through the archives

Oct 28, 2010
“It's the beginning of fall term. The Lawrentian reports that a "New Record Expected in Enrollment" with a larger-than-predicted freshman class. A new program has started which brings together members of a local corporation with students and faculty "in the way of bringing industry and the academic world into closer touch.”

Oct 28, 2010
“London offers a unique shopping experience, and I am not talking about the luxurious Harrods and Harvey Nichols stores, but the infamous street markets that sell everything from specialty soaps to vegetables. Embedded in the culture of London are the endless street markets, which date back to the 11th century.”

Trustees present at Lawrence Scholars in Law program

Oct 28, 2010
“The Lawrence Scholars in Law program hosted its first event on Oct. 27. Four attorneys who are also on Lawrence's board of trustees talked and dined with students interested in pursuing legal careers.
William Baer '72, William Hochkammer '66, Jeffrey Riester '70, and Pricilla Peterson Weaver '69 gathered with students in the Hurvis Room to discuss their lives as lawyers and to field students' questions.”

"Jerusalem Women Speak" addresses Israeli -Palestinian conflict

Oct 28, 2010
“The Lawrence University chapter of Amnesty International hosted "Jerusalem Women Speak" on Oct 25. The "Jerusalem Women Speak" tour aims to raise awareness and interest on Palestinian and Israeli conflicts. The tour consists of three women from Jerusalem of three different faiths, who have united to share their stories and inspire a movement against the conflicts occurring in Jerusalem.”

“Jenny Roesch
Women's tennis
1) What was the hardest part about this tennis season?
I just had knee surgery in May, so I've been working super hard to get back into shape. Trying to stay healthy and getting my game back, while also trying to reach the next level, was probably the biggest challenge for me this season.”

Ripon 5-1 6-1
Carroll 7-1-0 9-6-1
Grinnell 6-1-0 8-5-2
Lawrence 6-2-0 9-5-1

Oct 21, 2010
“Q1: What sport focuses around the use of "handballs" to move around the pitch before scoring either a "goal" or a "behind"? Two years ago, this sport banned a type of tackle in which one player pins the other's arms to his sides and drives his head into the ground -- though the federation governing this sport drew heavy criticism for the ban.”

Importance
Ripon tops Lawrence volleyball in four sets

Oct 21, 2010
“The Lawrence University volleyball team came out hot last Wednesday, but cooled off quickly and dropped a conference match to Ripon.
The Vikings looked like the team to beat in the first game, winning 25-23. Unfortunately for the Vikings, it was all downhill from there.”

Oct 21, 2010
“According to practically everyone, we are doomed. And by "we," I mean humanities majors. And by "everyone," I mean Stanley Fish in an October 11 blog post on the ***New York Times*** website. In this column, Professor Fish of Florida International University wrote about SUNY Albany and its decision to cut the Russian, Italian, French, classics, and theater programs.”

Taxes in America

Oct 21, 2010
“In the U.S., we spend a lot of time in politics complaining about one form of tax or another. But with a growing national deficit it may be time for us to think about the future of America and take one for following generations.
A radical idea, I know. The idea that tax cuts are great is as American as apple pie.”

Elections

Oct 21, 2010
“When my mom asked me the other day if I was going to vote absentee in the November elections in my home state of Illinois, I hesitated then asked, "What?" She explained that, on election day, if you are not in your home state because of college or other reasons, you can get an Absentee Ballot to vote by mail.”

Importance
Calendar changes leave little room for studying

Oct 21, 2010
“Lawrence University has been changing its calendar in recent years. Last year we experienced an extended December break, which we will have the opportunity to love or hate again this year.
But this fall, as students began to make travel plans to go home over breaks, they may have realized something else has changed.”

Campus life malaise

Oct 21, 2010
“Where have all the parties gone? This is a question I find myself asking week after week in the beginning of my senior year at Lawrence.
There is a growing malaise that permeates campus life that was not there in years past. It's as if there's always someone behind you, reminding, "Hey, this isn't the real world.”

Oct 21, 2010
“This is from my mix called Love Wave, a collection of songs that sound like lying in the sun on summer days, listening to chillwave from iPod speakers, and then hearing Michael Jackson blasting from a distant passing car.
1. "Something Good Can Work" Two Door Cinema Club
This a perfect late spring/early summer song, and I love what a tongue-twister it is.”

Damon Albarn brings the real-life Gorillaz to Chicago

Oct 21, 2010
“Gorillaz have finally come to life. No longer do the musicians have to take a supporting role to the cartoon alter egos created by Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett in 1998.
On the rarely touring band's current tour, "Escape to Plastic Beach World Tour," Albarn shares the stage with over 30 musicians, ranging from legendary soul singer Bobby Womack to Clash members Mick Jones and Paul Simonon.”

OMA aims to broaden horizons with "Diversify Your Mind" series

Oct 21, 2010
“Lawrence University's Office of Multicultural Affairs challenges students to "Diversify Your Mind" with events meant to engage, entertain and educate the campus community on issues concerning diversity. "We are offering a wide variety of activities for students to participate in," says Pa Lee Moua, Assistant Dean of Students for Multicultural Affairs, "they are all great opportunities to broaden your perspective and become more involved with and aware of these issues.”

OMA hosts "American Sueño" in honor of Hispanic and GLBT History Months

Oct 21, 2010
“American Sueño, a bilingual play performed at Harper Hall and presented by Teatro Milagro, marked the beginning of the Office of Multicultural Affairs' observance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered History Month.
On Thursday, October 14th, the OMA brought Teatro Milagro, an international theater company touring the United States, to Lawrence to perform the play.”

Slow Internet speeds continue to affect academic life at Lawrence

Oct 21, 2010
“Student complaints regarding slow Internet speeds have been frequently registered since the beginning of the term.
Academic concerns have figured prominently in these complaints. Some students have had issues loading and completing exams needed to get into graduate school.”

Importance
Cross country men and women win at home

Oct 14, 2010
“The Lawrence University cross country teams hosted the Gene Davis Invitational Saturday at Reid Golf Course in Appleton. On the 6,000-meter course, the women's team claimed first place, while the individual titles on both sides of the competition were taken by Lawrence runners.”

“Easy, Dreamy Kale
This recipe is maybe my top favorite ever. And it's super, super easy! If you like kale, or even if you think you don't, this is going to be -- I hope -- a wonderful addition to your cooking repertoire. Kale is chock-full of lots of vitamins and nutrients, including beta carotene, vitamins K and C, and calcium, and it's brimming with antioxidants.”

Carroll 4-1 5-1
Carroll 4-1-0 6-6-1
Lawrence 3-2-0 6-5-1
Lake Forest 2-3-0 7-4-0

Oct 14, 2010
“Q1: The end of the 2010 baseball season marks the end of the Pittsburgh Pirates' MLB-record 18th straight losing season. During that streak, which lasts back to 1993, the Pirates have amassed a losing record against every team in the National League except which NL East team?
A1: Despite their two World Series championships, the Florida Marlins are 68-77 against the basement-dwelling Pirates.”

Importance
Volleyball teeters in conference standings

Oct 14, 2010
“The Lawrence University volleyball team had an up-and-down week last week -- after dominating Knox in three sets, the Vikings battled hard against Grinnell but wound up falling to the Pioneers in straight sets.
With senior Melissa Schnettler out for the season, the Vikings used a balanced attack against Knox, with four players having at least five kills.”

Women's tennis claims title

Oct 14, 2010
“The Viking women's tennis team challenged St. Norbert College at home last Friday. The Vikings' 6-3 win clinched the top seed in this weekend's conference tournament for coach Kevin Girard's team.
Junior captain Beth Larson and sophomore Jennifer Roesch crushed Norbert's top two singles players 6-3, 6-0 and 6-2, 6-2, respectively, while Freshmen Gayatri Malhotra and Carla Schmidt also picked up victories in the singles competition.”

Men's soccer falls to Carroll

Oct 14, 2010
“The Lawrence men's soccer team was outscored 3-1 in a road game against Carroll University last Sunday.
In a battle of conference rivals, the Pioneers (6-6-1, 4-1 MWC) fought to preserve their slight lead over the Vikings, who entered the game tied with the home team for third in the conference standings.”

Oct 14, 2010
“In my first piece for "Reading Rights," I wrote about the problem with the desire to read only the best sellers in order to keep up with the most prominent form of reading culture. To me, this mentality has never seemed like the most personally fulfilling way of reading.”

Importance
Facebook fad hinders breast cancer awareness campaigns

Oct 14, 2010
“In recent weeks, a noticeable trend has developed on Facebook in response to its daily entreaty: "What's on your mind?" A number of female users have posted statuses that completed the sentence "I like it..." Their responses range from the mundane -- "in my dorm room" -- to the more provocative -- "on the kitchen table.”

Reality TV isn't real

Oct 14, 2010
“642. No, that's not the number of freshmen coming into Lawrence this year. That is the number of different reality television shows that have been on TV in the past twenty years.
The majority of these shows are still on the air and their ratings couldn't be better.”

Oct 14, 2010
“On October 1, the departments of Art and Art History and several other organizations brought Dan Leers '02 to campus to discuss his curatorial work in the Department of Photography at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
The next day, Leers took a group of students to the Art Institute of Chicago to see a photography exhibit he curated.”

Oct 14, 2010
“Fifth-year super-senior and cellist Carolyn Armstrong loves to help people get up on stage so they can share artistic talents with others. As the assistant program coordinator at Harmony Café for the past four years, Armstrong has put plenty of time and energy into building the arts community in Appleton.”

Importance
Urness explores the reaches of solo bass at faculty recital

Oct 14, 2010
“While I admire musicians who are able to perform difficult music without accompaniment, I do not usually find solo performances terribly exciting. This is partially because there is no interactive or mutual development of musical ideas in solo performances.”

Tips from a townie

Oct 14, 2010
“It's frustrating, isn't it? Sometimes you just want to pack your bags and get the hell off campus. You want to break your stressful routine and remind yourself that you are part of a bigger picture. Unfortunately, you have a paper due on Sunday night at 8pm, a presentation to give on Monday morning and a test on Tuesday, ruling out any chance to escape on a weekend ORC trip to ponder your existence in a tent engulfed in stars and woods.”

Across the pond

Oct 14, 2010
“What's a better way to explore the city of London than with a native British tour guide and seven hours of walking with your classmates? On our third day after arriving in London, myself and my nine other Lawrentians studying abroad in London did just that.”

Tracing the origins of Lawrence Balinese Gamelan Ensemble

Oct 14, 2010
“Anyone who went to Lawrence's recent "Kaleidoscope" concert at the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center will remember the otherworldly sounds and appearance of the opening ensemble -a long row of large ornate instruments played by costumed people wielding wooden hammers.”

Honor Council releases results of 2009-2010 hearings

Oct 14, 2010
“The Honor Council released information from the 2009-2010 academic year, listing Honor Code violations, actions taken by the Honor Council and the sanctions of these violations.
Ilsa Tone '12, one of the two Honor Council chairs for the 2010-2011 academic year, explained that the biggest trends in violations were in plagiarizing ideas and content from Internet sources, uncited sources in papers and even verbatim copying from Internet articles.”

“Shannon McClain
Volleyball
1) What is your favorite part of being a member of the LU volleyball team? Why?
My favorite part of being on the LU volleyball team is getting the chance to form close relationships with my teammates while playing the sport we love most.”

Women's soccer sweeps weekend

Oct 07, 2010
“The Lawrence University women's soccer team gave themselves a huge boost in the conference standings last weekend by beating Knox College and Grinnell College in a pair of road matchups.
The Vikings (4-6, 3-1 MWC) are now in second place in the Midwest Conference standings with just four conference games remaining.”

Ripon 4-0 5-0
Lawrence 3-1-0 6-4-1
Lake Forest 2-3-0 6-4-0
Monmouth 1-2-0 2-8-0

Oct 07, 2010
“Q1. Undrafted rookie quarterback Max Hall will get his first pro start this Sunday when he leads the Arizona Cardinals against the New Orleans Saints. Hall, as an alum of Brigham Young University, joins a long series of Cougars quarterbacks in the NFL. The most notable of those BYU-educated quarterbacks is which Hall of Famer who received a B.”

Men's soccer splits on road-trip to Knox, Grinnell

Oct 07, 2010
“The Lawrence men's soccer team defeated the Knox College Prairie Fire 4-1 last Saturday in Galesburg, Illinois.
Tied 1-1 at the end of the first half thanks to a goal by junior Steve Exarhos, the Vikings poured in three goals in the second half. Senior captain Jared Padway found the back of the net for the Vikings' second goal, picking up assists on the goals by senior Bennett Pang and freshman Charlie Mann that rounded out the scoring for the road team.”

Reading rights

Oct 07, 2010
“Somehow, I've received comments and questions pertaining to my column. It was a pleasant surprise, but now, I feel obligated to answer those brave people who took the time to read what non-sense I've written and then email me.
***Dear Maggie,
I'm having some trouble finding time to read books for pleasure.”

Affirmative Action

Oct 07, 2010
“Every good school rejects someone. Harvard admits only seven percent of its applicants, and it is not alone. Few colleges admit all of their applicants, and none of those who do have much prestige.
Admission to Yale requires beating out 92 percent of those who apply.”

The more you know

Oct 07, 2010
“Fashion, is it a crime? Is Fashion a necessary evil? If food is needed to live, then fashion is needed to live fabulously. In all my years as a human being, the one thing I have learned is that fashion is what makes the world turn.
With the facts out of the way lets talk about what is new and fresh on the scene.”

Oct 07, 2010
“1. "Samson," Regina Spektor I got the chance to see Regina Spektor in concert when I was in London last fall and she didn't perform this song until the encore. I think a lot of people were worried she wasn't going to do it, and so when she started playing it the entire theater roared with applause.”

Oct 07, 2010
“Growing up, Annie Raccuglia always enjoyed painting and drawing. But when she was 16, this hobby became a serious interest.
"I started painting with the 88-year-old custodian at my high school, who was also a Jesuit brother, painter and carpenter, on Saturday mornings, and then I took a portrait drawing class at the Art Institute of Chicago," she recalled.”

Iris Out: Disney/Pixar lets the toys age with us in "Toy Story 3" - tp ehh eek

Oct 07, 2010
“Before I begin, I should get this out of the way: I'm generally not big on the whole Disney/Pixar animated genre, so I don't remember the intricate plot elements of "Toy Story" or "Toy Story 2." However, those did come out in 1995 and 1999 respectively, so I haven't seen either for a while.”

Mary Halvorson Quintet's "Saturn Sings" remains "free" yet accessible

Oct 07, 2010
“While taking a not-well-deserved study break last Sunday, I decided to use one of my favorite procrastination techniques and browse the "Exclusive First Listen" section of NPR's music website, which allows viewers to listen to a handful of upcoming albums in their entirety.”

Oct 07, 2010
“Fall has rolled into town these past few days, so in lieu of a baked good this week, I thought a nice, hearty, tummy-warming soup might be more appropriate. This particular recipe is one my mother has adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook, and it is the perfect fall comfort food.”

Importance
Secret lives of our profs

Oct 07, 2010
“Professor David Becker, music director of the Lawrence Symphony Orchestra, began his teaching career here in the mid-1970s, but then life took him elsewhere. He returned in 2005, and at the 2010 commencement, was presented with Lawrence's "Excellence in Teaching" award.”

Suarez forecasts effects of 21st century immigration

Oct 07, 2010
“A densely packed Lawrence Memorial Chapel welcomed Ray Suarez to campus as the first guest speaker of the 2010-2011 convocation series Tuesday, October 5. Suarez, a senior correspondent for PBS' "The NewsHour," two-time author and award-winning journalist, delivered his convocation address, entitled "The Browning of America," on the impact of the increasingly diverse ethnic make-up of the United States.”

Importance
Cross country finishes in top half of field

Sep 30, 2010
“The Lawrence University cross country team traveled to Minneapolis to compete in the University of Minnesota's Roy Griak Invitational last Saturday.
The men's team was led by freshman Curran Carlile, who finished with a time of 26:32.2 for the 8000-meter course.”

An authentic sound

Sep 30, 2010
“Harper Hall was almost full five minutes before the start of the Near Eastern Music Ensemble's Monday night concert. As I finally found an open seat in the front row, I thought about how strange it was to see a full Harper Hall.
Many performers have trouble filling a third of the theatre, and I can only think of two other "sold out" Harper Hall performances - the Dobet Gnahore and Happy Apple concerts two years ago.”

Ripon 3-0 4-0
Carroll 0-0-0 2-4-1
Knox 0-1-0 2-6-1
Illinois College 0-1-0 2-8-0

Sep 30, 2010
“Q: The Chicago Vendetta, Virginia Rampage, Minnesota Blur, and New York Epic are all teams that compete professionally in the national league for what sport? Matches in this sport begin with "The Rush" and are generally contested by teams of six ... but contrary to popular belief, Patches O'Houlihan has never returned from retirement to coach a team from his wheelchair.”

Volleyball goes 1-3 at Wheaton Invitational

Sep 30, 2010
“The Lawrence University volleyball team has had an up-and-down season, which was encapsulated by last weekend's Wheaton College Invitational. The Vikings, who entered the tournament at .500 for the season, went 1-3 in their four matches.
In their first two games of the weekend, Lawrence lost three games to one against the University of Dubuque and North Central College.”

Football blown out by St. Norbert

Sep 30, 2010
“The Lawrence University football team took on the powerful Green Knights of St. Norbert in DePere, WI last weekend in a conference matchup.
While the Vikings felt they had a chance, from the first whistle, St. Norbert proved that contention wrong.
The Green Knights (2-2, 2-1 MWC) picked up two quick scores in the first quarter, both on long touchdown passes, to take a 14-0 lead into the second quarter.”

Golf Update

Sep 30, 2010
“Lawrence University golf freshman John Pechan has made quite a splash since joining the Viking golf squad earlier this fall.
Pechan placed seventh in his first tournament as a Viking, which has proven to be a disappointing finish by his standards. He followed up his seventh-place finish with a victory at the Ripon Invitational at Mascoutin Golf Course September 19th, and last weekend Pechan tore up Washington County Golf Course.”

Viking women's tennis battles at ITA Championships

Sep 30, 2010
“The women's tennis team traveled to Saint Peter, Minnesota last weekend to compete in the USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championships at Gustavus Adolphus. Unlike conference matches, where the team collectively competes for a win, the ITA Championships feature individual singles players and doubles teams competing to qualify for
Lawrence sent freshman Gayatri Malhotra, sophomore Jennifer Roesch, and junior captain Beth Larson to play in this intense competition, but the Vikings had a rough start.”

Sep 30, 2010
“I want to take something of a step forward and address the fact that I think about film and its place in our society more than I think about reading and/or books. The fact that book sales are plummeting is unsettling. I don't remember where I read this but only a small fraction of books published sell over five hundred copies.”

Breeder Bingo

Sep 30, 2010
“I am eighteen years old, female and I am childfree. Being childfree means knowing that you don't want children now, or ever. Whenever my childfree status comes up in conversation, most people insist, "You'll change your mind," or "You can't know that now, you're too young.”

Sep 30, 2010
“1. Sufjan Stevens, "I Walked" Sufjan Stevens is back! And that means it's time to usher in a new decade of whispered vocals, biblical allusion and vaguely homoerotic metaphor! This song - a preview from his upcoming album, "The Age of Adz" - is a perfect mix of old and new.”

Sep 30, 2010
“Every now and then, a horror spoof comes along that gets the formula right. By horror spoof, I do not mean any of the "Scary Movie" films or other parodies written and directed by Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg -- if you don't know who these guys are, then lucky you.”

Ready your antennas

Sep 30, 2010
“When was the last time you put on WLFM? Since the sale of the station's broadcast license in 2005, those who would have turned the dial to 91.1 FM now head to WLFM's website and listen to the online stream in iTunes or Winamp. If you're not a freshman, it's very likely that you've downloaded the WLFM stream for the Great Midwest Trivia Contest, but it doesn't have to be January for you to tune in.”

Caffeine-addled 24 Hour Play Festival brings down the house

Sep 30, 2010
“Students showcased a series of new plays last Saturday night as part of another 24-Hour Play Festival, organized collaboratively by AM Theatre and the Lawrence Society of Drama. The student-run festival featured five plays, all written and rehearsed within the span of 24 hours.”

Sep 30, 2010
“TR: If you've walked down College Ave looking for Sirocco's recently, I regret to inform you that it's gone. However, if you're interested in fine dining options close to campus, pop into this quaint little bistro that's just two blocks away and in the exact same spot Sirocco's used to be.”

Women's soccer takes down Green Knights

Sep 23, 2010
“The Lawrence University women's soccer team faced a pair of tough opponents this past week in St. Norbert and Lake Forest. The Vikings battled hard in both games, and relied on steady defense to keep both games within striking distance. Lawrence split the pair of games to move their record to 3-4 on this young season.”

Carroll 2-0 3-0
Lawrence 2-0-0 5-2-0
Lake Forest 1-2-0 2-3-0
Grinnell 0-0-0 2-3-2

Sep 23, 2010
“Q1: Last Sunday, Chicago Cubs fans saw Tyler Colvin's season end when the rookie outfielder was pierced in the chest by a flying baseball bat in a game against the Marlins. For almost any other club, this injury would rank among the strangest in team history .”

Importance
Women's tennis stays unbeaten in conference

Sep 23, 2010
“The Lawrence University women's tennis team was dealt their first loss of the season at the hands of the UW-Oshkosh Titans, then dropped three games against state schools last week before ending the losing streak against conference foe Beloit.
Junior Beth Larson, as usual, was a rock for Lawrence in the match against UW-Oshkosh, taking her fifth consecutive singles match by a score of 6-2, 6-1.”

Importance
Volleyball tops MSOE in first home match

Sep 23, 2010
“The Lawrence University volleyball team battled to a close victory over Milwaukee School of Engineering last Monday night.
The Vikings got out to a fast start, winning the first game 25-18. The Vikings had a very good set, with 14 kills compared to just three errors.”

Importance
Men's soccer builds a winning streak

Sep 23, 2010
“The Lawrence men's soccer team hosted the Lake Forest College Foresters last Saturday in the fourth of six consecutive home games for the Vikings.
The Foresters (2-3, 1-2 MWC) hung with the Vikings for the majority of the first half, fending off all of Lawrence's offensive opportunities.”

Sep 23, 2010
“The consensus in one of my classes the other day seemed to be that we are artists in times of almost absolute freedom. And that is at least half true. If one of us says, "I want to be an actor," most everyone will reply, "Good. Do that." While people still tend to tell me it is all right to dream of being a writer, I know that this is not necessarily true.”

Dreaming of Google

Sep 23, 2010
“It's the perfect example of the "American dream" - in 1998, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two Ph.D. candidates at Stanford, began a small business in their friend's garage. Six years later, when their company went public, they were billionaires and the leaders of Google, Inc.”

Sep 23, 2010
“If you're expecting the dashing, indie-rock loving protagonist Joseph Gordon-Levitt played in 2009's "(500) Days of Summer," viewing Gordon-Levitt's lesser-known 2005 gem "Brick" will be a shock to your system.
Don't get me wrong, his two characters do share some similarities: "Brick" finds Gordon-Levitt playing Brendan Frye, a no-nonsense high-school loner with some faux-detective leanings whose girlfriend recently dumped him, a role not too far removed from the more cheerful but equally lonely Tom Hansen he plays in "(500) Days of Summer.”

Summer concert recap

Sep 23, 2010
“Going to New York City to see jazz is a hassle for most New Jerseyans. We have to waste $30 on round-trip train tickets and spend the ride with the obnoxious North New Jerseyans who board the train at stops like Jersey Avenue, Rahway and Secaucus.
So after seeing several New York concerts this summer, I promised myself that I would not spend any more money on overpriced train tickets or jazz clubs.”

Importance
Trying to make it back to "The Good Life"

Sep 23, 2010
“Weezer dropped its major label. Fans may find this a reason to rejoice; they may even excuse the band's lackluster releases of late.
Both 2008's overproduced shtickfest, "Weezer," and the star-studded and uninspired "Raditude" left the fanbase with little confidence, but a new release on the classic punk label Epitaph was enough to generate whispers of a return to the "Blue Album" and "Pinkerton" sound.”

After the bubble bursts

Sep 23, 2010
“Last spring, I had the (probably undeserved) honor of being the Scarff Visiting Professor in the Government Department, teaching on the subject I have engaged in for the past 20 years, environmental policy. This was the first time I had been back on campus for any length of time since I graduated in 1973.”

Correction

Sep 23, 2010
“In "While you were out: summer spent in Appleton," printed in the September 10 edition of The Lawrentian, Lydia Hynson '13's name was misspelled. The Lawrentian regrets this error.”

Importance
Students and staff work to curb alcohol abuse

Sep 23, 2010
“Representatives from Lawrence's campus life and counseling services staff gathered in the Kraemer Room of the Warch Campus Center on Wednesday, September 22, to attend a webinar about methods for responding to student alcohol abuse. The meeting was organized around a presentation via conference phone and PowerPoint delivered by Jason Laker, the Vice President of Student Affairs at San José State University.”

Importance
Matriculation Convocation addresses "Innovation through Collaboration"

Sep 23, 2010
“The Matriculation Convocation for Lawrence's 2010-2011 school year and 162nd academic year was held on Thursday, September 16 in the newly renovated Lawrence Memorial Chapel.
The Matriculation Address, delivered annually by President Jill Beck, set off this year's theme of "Innovation through Collaboration.”

Living in the sprawl

Sep 09, 2010
“Living in the Sprawl: A weekend at Chicago's massive Lollapalooza Music Festival
I always felt I was missing out on something by not going to a huge summer music festival. Warped Tour just never seemed to work out when I was younger, and by the time I got to high school, big outdoor music festivals lost their luster.”

Importance
LU ranked highly among nation's best colleges

Sep 09, 2010
“Lawrence University was reviewed in an array of publications, including Forbes, U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review and CBS moneywatch.com this past summer. These rankings highlighted the shifting foci in the data being collected by raters and sought for by parents, students and educators.”

“Carla Schmidt
Women's tennis
1. How different is college tennis from high school?
The biggest difference for me is getting used to playing both doubles and singles matches. In my high school I only played doubles, so it was difficult for me to familiarize myself with playing singles again.”

Preseason recap

Sep 09, 2010
“Another preseason has come and gone. The athletes are no longer the overwhelming force on campus and with all these freshmen around, we seem to have been forgotten. Our hard work over the past three weeks has finally been put to the test in games, matches and meets and we all have something to show for it.”

Importance
College Avenue serves up breakfast and lunch

“Cafe on the Ave
Cafe on the Ave, as its name suggests, is a cafe on College Ave. Located a few blocks from campus attached to the mall-like City Center plaza, this restaurant is probably the best breakfast spot within walking distance from Lawrence.”

Everyone needs a spot

Sep 09, 2010
“The grand opening of the Warch Campus Center -- a veritable fortress of twenty-first century comforts, a shining city-plex on a hill, a paradise where the lights are grouped in "zones" and the tiniest sneeze reverberates for all to appreciate in an super-acoustic bubble of love and friendship -- marked a significant change in student life here at Lawrence.”

While you were out

Sep 09, 2010
“Every summer, after most Lawrentians have left town, some remain in Appleton in order to pursue research opportunities, jobs and internships. The Lawrentian interviewed a sampling of the summer community about their recent experiences on campus. Sylwia Matlosz '12 worked with Visiting Assistant Professor of Chemistry Jay Stork, with whom she had previously conducted research last summer.”

Importance
Senior athletes of the week

May 27, 2010
“I asked each of these senior athletes what have been some of their favorite memories from their athletic experiences at Lawrence, what they will miss most about Lawrence and also what their plans are for after graduation.
TJ Frett - Men's Soccer -
-Halloween parties at Babos (Elliot Spruell's)
-Road trips
-Card games such as KILLER
-Bjorkland Inn, playing mafia and building bon fires
-My first collegiate goal my freshman year
-Playing all the different positions except goal keeper
-Carlson giving the people's elbow to an opponent
I will miss the competitive aspect of playing collegiate sports.”

Letters to the Editor

May 27, 2010
“Early last week, many students across campus were saddened to learn that Emily Bowles will no longer be teaching at Lawrence after this year. For the past four years, Emily has taught courses in the Gender Studies Program and the English Department, as well as Freshmen Studies.”

Importance
Lawrence students honored with scholarships for international work, study

May 27, 2010
“The 2009-10 academic year at Lawrence is almost over, but students continue to receive honors and accomplish academic achievements. This week Lawrence announced that four students were awarded Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarships, one alumna was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship, and one senior student was granted a U.”

May 27, 2010
“There is a problem here at Lawrence. I like to call it "creeping apathy," because, like creeping vines, it is very pervasive. People tend to ignore it, because it's daunting to overcome. But the attitudes it shapes work their way into our communal culture: Deference to authority.”

Rambling off the roof

May 27, 2010
“Well, all good things must come to