StudentsReview :: Auburn University

University of Alabama -- Tuscaloosa, AL

Auburn University

Auburn Campus News

Importance
Electrical engineering professor dies over weekend
Jan 01, 2010
“Scotte Hodel, an electrical and computer engineering professor, died late Friday night from lymphoma. Hodel had been a member of the Auburn
faculty since 1989.
A memorial service is scheduled Wednesday at 4
p.m. at Lakeview Baptist Church in Auburn.
David Irwin, also an electrical and computer engineering professor, said members of the community are
welcome to attend.
Irwin said Hodel was an excellent faculty member who will be dearly missed.
John Hung, an electrical and computer engineer professor who was close friends with Hodel for 20 years, said the
service will celebrate Hodel's life and the positive influence he had on
those around him.
Hodel was able to teach through portions of spring
semester last year, but was only able to act as an adviser to his
graduate students this fall because of his lymphoma, Hung said.
Hung said Hodel was a great friend and professor.”

Importance
STUDENT VOICE - What are your thoughts on Auburn’s hire of head coach Gene Chizik and the assistant coaches?
“Elena Zekic / freshman, psychology
“I’m nervous because of his losing record, and the players might have a tough time getting used to the new coaching staff.”
Josh Engle / freshman, finance and economics
“I think that it will be good, because it changes up the way things have been run, and change is often a  good thing.”
John Merrill / sophomore, accounting
“I think the addition of Trooper Taylor to offensive staff will be great for  our  offense  and  reruiting.”
Kurt  Kersey / freshman, building science
“I think it’s a decent decision. I would have preferred that they had kept Tuberville on, but I think it is a good decision.”
Whitney Sanders / freshman, industrial engineering
“Honestly, they should not have fired Tuberville. It was way too soon, after only one bad season.
Alissa Davis / freshman, communication disorders
“He’s our new coach, and I think we should support him.”

Importance
Auburn coaching staff retooled under Chizick
Jan 07, 2009
“Chizick hires Malzahn to coach offense, fills three key positions to Auburn coaching staff Mario Fannin, No. 27, and the rest of the Auburn running backs will have a new offensive coordinator: Gus Malzahn and a new position coach, Curtis Luper, at the start of the 2009 season. Rod Guajardo /ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Gene Chizick started in mid-December with an empty cabinet on his football coaching staff.
What looked like a slow process of hiring a coaching staff heading into Christmas, has picked up steam with Athletic Director Jay Jacobs signing five coaches to contracts since Dec. 26.
Gus Malzahn was named offensive coordinator on Dec. 28 after serving as assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator as well as quarterbacks coach at the University of Tulsa the previous two seasons.
In Malzahn’s two years at Tulsa, his offenses ranked first in the nation in total offense in 2007 and second in 2008.

Auburn drops SEC opener to Carolina
Jan 15, 2009
“The men’s basketball team (10-5, 0-1 SEC) lost its first SEC game 68-56 at South Carolina (12-2, 1-0 SEC).
The Gamecocks went ahead at halftime and never looked back.
Auburn was led in scoring by DeWayne Reed who contributed 21 points in the loss.
South Carolina’s leading scorer was Zam Fredrick, who topped the stat sheet with 27 points.
A career-best was achieved for Auburn’s Korvotney Barber, who managed to snag 18 rebounds and score six points.
Free throws continued to be an issue for Auburn.
The Tigers shot just 43 percent from the foul line, compared to the Gamecocks’ 67 percent.
Auburn also shot just 37 percent from the floor.
South Carolina managed to finish at 46 percent from field goal range for the night.
The Tigers will host Florida at home at 7 p.m.
Auburn will then take on rival Alabama at home Saturday at 1 p.m.”

SGA President's Welcome Back: New year, new resolutions by president
“Dear Students,
On behalf of the Student Government Association, welcome back to Auburn for another great semester! Spring is always an exciting time on the Plains, and I am sure it has a great deal in store for all of us.
This semester, I encourage you to take part in something unique to Auburn—whether it’s joining a campus organization, becoming involved with a campus ministry, volunteering with IMPACT or attending a play at the Telfair Peet Theater.
Additionally, this spring will be an extremely busy time for our athletic department, and I hope you will take the opportunity to support our many teams, from basketball and baseball to gymnastics and swimming.
I also want to remind you that you will have the chance to voice your opinion in the SGA elections this February.  You will not only be choosing your new SGA President, Vice President, Treasurer and Miss Auburn, but this year, you will also be voting in a special referendum to  build a new student recreation and wellness center. We all know that our student act is highly inadequate for our student body.

Importance
Junior Tigers skipping senior year for draft
Jan 15, 2009
“As is typical of any college football program that regularly produces NFL talent, Auburn is on-track to lose at least three junior football players to the NFL draft.
With the opportunity to instantly make hundreds of thousands of dollars (or in some cases, millions), elite college athletes are forced to make a decision that could drastically impact their families as well as themselves.
Juniors interested in entering the draft early submit their paperwork to the NFL and receive a projection of what rounds they will most likely be drafted in.
The problem with the projection is that it’s just that, a projection. A simple guess that for some turns out to be correct, but for other unfortunate athletes the estimate is several rounds off.
As the draft kicks off, teams will strategically base their picks off of what other teams have already picked, which could mean that a player who should have gone in the 2nd round could drop all the way to the fourth.

Staff Column: Remembering the reasons why
Jan 07, 2009
“It is important to always have a big picture in mind when trying to accomplish something.
Most people like to take things one day at a time, but you can lose focus and forget why you even started the task in the first place.
A few semesters ago, back when I had not declared a major and had no idea what I wanted from Auburn I wondered if spending thousands of dollars on something is worth the experience.
Cut to present day, and my answer to my younger self is yes.
Once I found something that fit my interests and skills, going to class was not as tasking as I once thought it was.
Most days (not all) I actually find myself enjoying what my journalism professors are teaching me.
Plus, I have to keep in mind I am not doing this college thing solely for myself. People are watching me.
No, I do not live in some Truman Show world (mine would be boring, trust me), but I do have two younger sisters looking to me as an example.
Talk about pressure. I could not screw this up.
I am the first in my family to go to college and I do not want to be the last.

An AU Perspective of the 2009 Inauguration
Jan 26, 2009
“An estimated two million people filled the Washington National Mall to witness Tuesday’s inauguration of the 44th president, Barack Obama.
Standing bundled in layers, upon layer, fighting off the 18-degree chill amid the trash piling up around her and hasty people pushing to get a better view, Auburn student Heather-Ann Schaeffner was among the lucky ones
to watch this intimate moment of history in person.
“We were all saying, ‘We are a part of history,’” said Shaeffner, a junior in public administration. “All I wanted to say was, ‘I was there. I was a part of history.’”
In the crowd were people of all ages, but not surprising, Schaeffner said, young Americans, ages 18-24 like herself showed up and rivaled other age groups for the crowd’s majority.
One particular 20-year-old couldn’t keep in her excitement as she told Shaeffner who she had personally lobbied for her ticket to the ceremony.

University Theatre Schedule
dAUnce VII Directed by Adrienne Wilson
April 23 - 26”

Around the SEC: Basketball
Jan 15, 2009
“AUBURN — DeWanna Bonner was named the women’s Southeastern Conference’s player of the week after last week’s performances.
Bonner had two 29-point performances in the Tigers wins over the South Carolina Gamecocks and No. 18 Florida Gators Sunday 2 p.m.
TUSCALOOSA — The Crimson Tide men’s basketball team took down LSU 65-59 last Sunday to improve to 11-4 on the season.
The win was the Tide’s SEC opener, putting them at 1-0 in league play.
Bama head coach Mark Gottfried has been under much scrutiny from fans in recent years, and many say he will need a tournament appearance soon to maintain job security.
GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Florida Gators opened SEC play with a 78-68 win over the Ole Miss Rebels to improve to 14-2 on the season.
After the game, Gator head coach Billy Donovan expressed that his biggest concern with his squad this year is how competitive they are.
The Gators were led in scoring by sophomore point guard Nick Calathes.
Calathes recorded 19 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and four steals in the win.”

(showing 10) Show All