StudentsReview :: George Washington University

George Washington University

Sports
GWU Campus News
Importance
With formation change, men's soccer finds success on goal

“Media Credit: File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Junior forward Phillip McQuitty evades a defender in a game against American on Aug. 29. McQuitty has logged 205 minutes through three games this season, the most of any GW forward.
Last fall, one player was responsible for six goals for men’s soccer, double what any of his teammates managed to score the entire season.
Still, GW's final seven goals came from players other than that senior forward and former co-captain, Tyler Ranalli. Five different players who scored five of the seven goals last season returned to the team this year.
Together, the group has already produced five goals in GW's first three games of the year, stepping up to replace Ranalli’s production “by committee," said head coach Craig Jones.
The team is playing more time in a 4-4-2 offensive formation that puts more players further up the field and in an attack-focused mindset compared to last season’s 4-5-1 formation.
“There’s also more of an emphasis on attacking as opposed to last year,” junior forward Phillip McQuitty said. “Sometimes we would keep the ball and go backwards. But this year, everyone has the mindset of scoring and the belief that we can score, too.”
Jones said at the start of the season his goal is to spread the goal-scoring across the roster instead of relying on a single striker. In the first three games, four players have scored while eight players have points. In GW’s 4-1 victory over Howard on Aug. 31, four different Colonials found the back of the net. Seven players registered points in the game, a first for the team since 2009.
If the team does have a dominant scorer, it is junior forward Jonny Forrest. Forrest started strong last year, setting his sights on scoring 10 goals, the number he wears on his jersey. But Forrest was sidelined with a hamstring injury for much of the season and scored just three goals in 433 minutes on the pitch.
Forrest has already equaled his three goals from last season in 169 minutes of play, scoring two goals in GW’s 2-1 win over Harvard on Sept. 7. Despite Forrest’s early production, Jones said he is using his top forward cautiously to keep him healthy.
“He has got kind of his own program where we do preventative exercises for his hamstrings,” Jones said. “If we have to withdraw him sometimes from practice because we think he is doing too much or if he is feeling some tightness, obviously, we are going to use it – we’re going to set a caution, knowing that when he’s on the field, as he has shown, he scores goals.”
Forrest is the team’s leading scorer, and, like last year, he wants at least 10 goals by the end of the season. The North Shield, England native explained 10 was his favorite number to wear back home, but his freshman year one of the GW players was already wearing it. His next year, he asked Jones if he could wear 10, and the coach said he would allow it if Forrest scored 10 goals.
Jones believes he’s capable of meeting this challenge and hopes he can even go beyond it.
“He’s got a great soccer IQ," Jones said. "If he scores 10 this year, we’ll give him number 20 next year.”
Even with Forrest’s star power, Jones stands by his early-season argument that spreading the scoring around is better than relying on a go-to striker.
Forrest has spent most of his time at the top of the field with McQuitty, one of two pairs Jones has rotated up top. The other pair consists of sophomores Angel Valencia and Jopus Grevelink. Jones said the rotations will continue until players start performing consistently. Ideally, he would have two starters for the whole season, but in reality, Jones said it will depend on the opponent and what he sees in practice.
Jones’ go-to frontmen as of now are McQuitty, who has played the most minutes of any forward this season (205), and Forrest. The 6-foot-5 McQuitty and 5-foot-11 Forrest may be a mismatch physically: McQuitty is a dominant physical presence who shreds through defenders with his towering frame, while Forrest picks his spots carefully to weave into striking range.
McQuitty said he and Forrest have great chemistry at the top.
“[Forrest] is really smart on the field and always knows where to run, when to hold the ball up, when to shoot, and that’s just as important as being physical,” McQuitty said. “Some players should really model off Jonny, because sometimes they’re running in bad spots or we are running the same way.”
The team continues its season Tuesday in Annapolis, Md. against Navy.”

Alumni Weekend: Where the gifts just begin

Sep 15, 2014
“Media Credit: Graphic by Sophie McTear | Design Editor. Photos by Nicole Radivivlov | Contributing Photo Editor.
When Marty Baum hosted a send-off event for incoming freshman this summer, he told them stories about meeting his wife during his sophomore year and seeing Secret Service agents in his residence hall after President Ronald Reagan was shot.
Over the last several years, as the 1982 graduate has thought about sending his children to GW, Baum says he’s gotten more “nostalgic” about those GW experiences. Now he represents GW at college fairs, is active in the Alumni Association and makes regular donations to the University.
“Not surprisingly, as I’ve gotten more involved, I’ve given more,” Baum said.
Baum said he can't join the thousands of other alumni gathering this week for Alumni Weekend, but the University will use the annual event to energize other alumni – in the hopes that they’ll become just as reengaged as he did. Over the weekend, alumni will take a campus tour highlighting major construction projects, which officials hope will give alumni reasons to donate toward GW’s $1 billion fundraising campaign.
The University won’t pull in most of the $475 million it has left to raise over Alumni Weekend. But it can reconnect old alumni and remind them why their GW experience matters – and why they should donate in the future.
Most of that remaining money will come from alumni who return to their hometowns, spread the news about GW and encourage their friends to donate, all key steps in GW’s plan to boost its comparatively low 10 percent alumni giving rate and meet its eye-popping goal.
Rallying the Alumni Association
Since the campaign officially launched in June, members of the Alumni Association say they have felt more pressure to donate and encourage their friends to do the same.
“The general gist of the conversation has been challenging ourselves as to how we can step up and do more from our own personal commitments, better spread the word and do what we can to help identify others,” said Buddy Lesavoy, a triple alumnus on the Alumni Association. “Historically, there has been somewhat of a separation – the development office [was] more involved asking for financial support.”
Steve Frenkil, the group's president, said he is forming a committee of Alumni Association members and administrators to steer the fundraising blitz, marking the first time GW has made a separate group within the organization to specifically court alumni.
“There’s already been a real interest, and I think that interest will grow,” he said.
[RLBox]
[RL articlelink="http://www.gwhatchet.com/2014/04/17/administrators-still-weighing-potential-launch-dates-for-1-billion-campaign/"]
[RL articlelink="http://www.gwhatchet.com/2014/06/10/university-to-officially-launch-landmark-fundraising-campaign/"]
[RL articlelink="http://www.gwhatchet.com/2014/06/20/university-lays-out-goals-for-academics-student-support-in-1-billion-fundraising-blitz"]
[/RLBox]
Momentum for the campaign is already building. GW received $191.3 million in gifts last year from the largest number of donors ever, and grew its donor pool by about 15 percent.
Engaging with those alumni is “critical for the success of the campaign,” said Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Mike Morsberger. Alumni donations made up about one-third of the total fundraising haul at 125 other colleges nationwide, according to a report by the Center for Advancement and Support in Education.
Morseberger said his office will look to target specific groups and direct them toward donation opportunities that remind them of their college experiences.
“We are working to engage alumni – learning more about their affinities, interests and their passions as they relate to GW,” Morsberger said.
University President Steven Knapp and Provost Steven Lerman have both recently met with the Alumni Association, presenting details about the campaign and encouraging them to contribute, members said.
Michael La Place, who earned his master's degree from GW in 1989, now serves on the Alumni Association’s board of directors and donates to the University each year. A double alumnus, he’s stayed in touch with GW through basketball games and by volunteering at college fairs.
He said the group has started to talk about ways to build “a culture of philanthropy.”
“[The message has] mainly been to get the word out to people we graduated with and other friends of the University, get them to reengage and show them that investing in the University at this time will have a maximum benefit of putting them on track for the future,” La Place said.
To make the connection to the campaign clear, alumni can take a “Making History” tour this weekend, where they’ll see the University’s latest construction projects – like the GW Museum, Science and Engineering Hall and Milken Institute School of Public Health – which will be financed in part by the campaign.
The tour will focus on how donations can help the University stay innovative, Frenkil said.
“Alumni recognize GW is continuing to grow and becoming stronger and stronger. They see it could become an academic leader in the country, and people want to be a part of that,” Frenkil said.
The weekend event will also offer classes on topics like the 1960s and highway engineering, a visit to Thurston Hall, and a Hall and Oates concert. Groups on campus like the Honors Program, Greek life and GW Hillel will host events throughout the weekend, reconnecting with alumni in those niches.
Focusing on specific interests will help visiting alumni remember their time in college, perhaps inspiring them to give to that area, Frenkil said.
“There are plenty of opportunities for the alum who hasn’t stayed connected or is 20 or 30 years out, but it takes a little more to reach out and get their attention,” Frenkil said. “I think if they start reading about their areas of interest, I think they’ll want to get connected because [they’ll see there’s] something in it for them.”
The rest of the money comes later
Alumni Weekend is like “one piece of the puzzle” fitting into a large campaign, said Michael Nilsen, vice president of public affairs at the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
Media Credit: File Photo by Katie Causey | Hatchet Staff Photographer
An $80 million gift from billionaire philanthropists Michael Milken and Summer Redstone renamed the University's public health school, which opened with a ribbon cutting in May.
He said “finding ways to keep alumni connected” through local events like happy hours or sports games is key to successful fundraising at universities. He said schools now use social media to help connect alumni, setting up opportunities for past and current students to network. For example, in addition to Alumni Weekend, the Alumni Association will host events like a breakfast in New York City and a trip to a D.C. United soccer game this month.
“Pretty much the No. 1 rule in fundraising is people ultimately give to people,” Nilsen said. “Even if I don’t know much about your cause, if you as a friend ask me for money then I am far more likely to give – regardless of what the cause is.”
Baum said as a member of the Alumni Association’s finance committee, he sees himself as a bridge between alumni and the University.
“It’s old-fashioned word of mouth,” Baum said.
But encouraging people to donate, he said, is a process that takes time.
“If I haven’t spoken to you in five years, I want to first involve you in the school rather than being like ‘Hey, do you have your checkbook here?’ People need to have a relationship – that’s an important first step as opposed to ‘Hey, give me money,’” he said.
GW has set participation goals for nearly a dozen classes, from the Class of 1964 to the Class of 2013. An anonymous donor will give $25,000 in honor of the class that beats its goal by the highest percentage.
Challenges are one way to motivate more people to give gifts, said Arthur Criscillis, a higher education fundraising expert at the fundraising consulting firm Alexander-Haas.
“It can be a great tool,” he said. “It is a frequently utilized tactic to get people to support their alma mater.””

One on One: Don't underestimate unpaid internships

Sep 15, 2014
“As students begin to fill out applications for spring internships across D.C., two Hatchet opinions writers reflect on the major takeaways from their summer internships.
ROBIN JONES KERR: Welcome to “One on One,” a new series The Hatchet’s opinions section is excited to roll out this year. Every so often, a pair of opinions writers will discuss their personal experiences and reactions to a topic that applies to all GW students.
For our first installment, senior columnist Justin Peligri and I chatted about something we unexpectedly shared in common this past summer: We both had internships at news organizations that cater to specific, activist audiences, and because of the nature of those publications, we were both unpaid. So there’s a lot to unpack here!
JUSTIN PELIGRI: There certainly is, so I’m glad we’re taking this opportunity to reflect back on our summers and consider the benefits of our experiences that we might not have acknowledged at the beginning of the hectic school year.
Robin Jones Kerr
RJK: I was lucky enough to be offered an editorial internship at Ms. magazine, the iconic feminist publication that rode the wave – hell, created the wave – of feminism in the 1960s and ‘70s.
I got to write about whatever I was passionate about: campus sexual assault, women in the media, even diversity in athletics. I spent a whole week researching Terry Richardson, the notoriously foul fashion photographer.
That in and of itself proved to be one of the most simultaneously upsetting and rewarding writing experiences I’ve had in recent memory. I had to conduct in-depth research into his many transgressions – namely, downright reprehensible behavior with models on set. Although it was emotionally trying, I got to publish a strong, impassioned piece that I can now use as a clip to submit with future job applications.
And, because the Ms. offices are located in downtown Beverly Hills, I got to spend the summer in my new favorite state: California.
Justin Peligri
JP: Like many other students, I stayed in the District this summer. For my part-time internship at The Washington Blade, a D.C.-based publication that brands itself as "America’s gay news source," I didn't earn an hourly wage. Of course, not getting compensated for your work isn’t ideal, and over the past few years, we’ve seen students speak out against the practice, filing lawsuits against high-profile companies.
And Robin, we should point out that many of the other internships GW students may be hoping to score are unpaid, too. That includes GW favorites like gigs on Capitol Hill, as well as at the State Department. I bet no one told you that harsh reality on your campus tour.
But there’s a lot to be earned from an unpaid internship. I got to have conversations with local lesbian brewery owners, a transgender priest and professional soccer player Megan Rapinoe, to name a few.
I can’t put a price on the opportunity to contribute to a specialty news publication while also getting to know the reporters and editors who have played an important role in propelling the American LGBT rights movement forward: The Blade was the first and only LGBT news publication admitted to the White House pool rotation last year.
RJK: Right, if there was one big downside to my experience, it’s that I shipped off to California, worked 40-hour weeks, commuted two hours a day, fact-checked every word of feature articles, helped out however I was needed – all for peanuts. It was, like yours, also an unpaid internship.
It was the second summer in a row I worked a full-time internship without being paid, so you could say I have a couple thoughts on the subject, Justin. The first was the summer after my sophomore year, when I was a communications intern at the National Organization for Women.
In neither of these cases did I ever resent my employer because they weren’t paying me. Call me brainwashed if you want, but I was truly honored to work at places that I had learned about in my history textbooks (well, my women’s studies textbooks).
Gloria Steinem, one of the pioneers of the mid-century women’s liberation movement, founded Ms. and is still on the masthead. When the other interns and I gushed about the icon to our editor, our editor emailed her – and Gloria responded, inviting us all to her office in New York for coffee. Another name on the masthead: Robin Morgan, a feminist scholar and writer. I kid you not, my mother was reading Morgan’s book while she was pregnant with me and thought Robin was a pretty name. I was CC-ed on emails to my namesake.
When the latest issue of Ms. hits newsstands, my name will be on the masthead right alongside these women. That’s something you probably could never get at a larger organization.
Nine bucks an hour? I’d rather have coffee with Gloria.
JP: Students at GW are pretty lucky, as 90 percent of us are able to intern, often during the school year. And if you do it right, there’s a lot more an internship can get you than merely a line on a résumé. Namely, the opportunity to meet industry movers and shakers. At the end of the day, it’s the connections I’ve made with reporters, television producers and other professionals that added value to my experience.
RJK: Justin and I worked at small operations that couldn't afford to pay their interns. But I think for both of us, the quality of our experiences by far made up for missing out on paychecks. We had the chance to write about topics we were passionate about and meet important people – both in our fields and in history.
I’d encourage students to, as you apply for your next internship, look outside the box of paid work if you are financially able to: You might be pleasantly surprised by what you find.
Justin Peligri, a senior majoring in political communication, is a Hatchet senior columnist. Robin Jones Kerr, a senior majoring in journalism, is The Hatchet’s opinions editor.”

Sarah Blugis: NFL fans: Keep tuning in, but commit to activism

Sep 15, 2014
“Football has been in my blood since childhood. There are pictures of me wearing Dallas Cowboys onesies before I could even talk, and I’ve spent fall Sundays watching their games ever since.
But as this year’s professional football season starts up, I can’t help but feel a slight sense of dread.
The NFL has endured criticism over the years for the alarming number of players who have allegedly committed crimes, earning it the nickname “the National Felony League.” The latest player added to this list: Ray Rice, former running back for the Baltimore Ravens.
Sarah Blugis
Last week, a surveillance video showed Rice punching his then-fiance unconscious before dragging her violently out of an elevator. Previously, the NFL suspended Rice for two games – the equivalent to a slap on the wrist in a 16-game-long season. Now, in light of this new footage, the Ravens have terminated his contract, and the NFL has suspended him indefinitely.
The issue of domestic violence in the NFL extends far beyond Rice. The league has yet to penalize two other NFL players who are facing domestic violence charges .
Nationally, domestic violence accounts for 21 percent of arrests for violent crimes. In the NFL, it makes up a staggering 48 percent of arrests, serving as one of the largest blemishes on the league’s record.
As a feminist and football fan, my interests are at odds with one another. Every year, I observe the violent culture that my favorite sport cultivates both on and off the field. This season, especially, my instinct is to boycott watching the games altogether.
But that isn’t easy for me to do. For much of my life, my dedication to the Cowboys has been a way for me to bond with my family, especially with my dad. Football has always been central to the culture of my hometown in Pennsylvania's coal country, and I’m proud that I can hold my own in discussions about turnovers and pass defense.
I’ve decided that asking myself – or anyone else – to give up watching their favorite team every week is too much. The joy that comes from watching the sport is not something people are going to give up en masse, and realistically, I won’t either.
Instead, I ask professional football fans at GW to join me in resisting the merchandise and tickets sold by our favorite teams this season.
At GW, we can be loud about the issues that are important to us. When former University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg made controversial remarks about sexual assault on college campuses a few weeks ago, the uproar from student activists was deafening.
GW students hail from across the country – between all of us, we probably cheer on every professional football team. And as consumers and as fans, your voice is more influential than you think.
Recently, Cowboys fans have expressed their frustration with the losing team, its coaching staff and its owner by refusing to go to games and allowing the fans of opposing teams to fill their seats in the Dallas stadium. The franchise noticed the lack of blue shirts in the stands, and scrambled to come up with an explanation.
We don’t have the power or resources to raise this kind of red flag on our own, but that doesn’t mean we have to sit by quietly without acting. The voices of fans can clearly go a long way in sending a message.
It will take a while to shift the NFL’s violent culture, but in the meantime, we can help. As fans, we cannot be willfully ignorant: It’s unacceptable for any of us to dismiss the actions of our favorite players or teams just for the love of the game.
Sarah Blugis, a junior majoring in political communication, is The Hatchet’s contributing opinions editor.”

Importance
A guy's guide for what to do during recruitment weekend

Sep 11, 2014
“Media Credit: Photo Illustration by Sam Hardgrove | Hatchet Staff Photographer
Instead of staying inside and playing video games, here are some ideas on what to do while women are in recruitment.
The men on campus will need to make plans without some of the ladies this weekend, with recruitment events running into the early hours of the morning. (And there’s the friendly rule that they’re not allowed to go out). Grab a group of friends and try some new bars, check out a music festival for the first time or go outside for the last warm days of the year.
1. Drink up at Snallygaster Beer Fest
Recruitment weekend comes around just in time for the annual Snallygaster Beer Fest, a five-hour booze festival with a brew selection from across the country. Ditch your slice of Pizza Movers at home for over 250 types of craft artisan beers and food vendors, including Big Cheese and D.C. Empanadas. Plus, all proceeds go to nonprofit Arcadia Food, so it’s drinking for a cause, right?
Yards Park, First and N streets SE. Event runs 1 to 6 p.m. Tickets: $25 or $50 depending on entry time.
2. Stay classy with a cigar night
If you’re hoping to be more Don Draper than Mike “The Situation,” hit up cigar hub Georgetown Tobacco for an ample stock of cigars, pipes and smoking accessories. Pick your poison and take a seat at the shop’s indoor cigar lounge. Bonus: Pack up your cigars and take your smokes to the Kennedy Center’s terrace for an Instagram-worthy view.
Georgetown Tobacco, 3144 M St. NW. Open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., and Sunday noon to 8 p.m.
3. A twist on Ultimate frisbee
If you’re tired of dodging tourists between throws next to the Lincoln Memorial, take the game to Rock Creek Park instead. Shake up the traditional game with “Frisbeer,” a drinking game in which players aim the frisbee at empty cans.
Rock Creek Park, 3545 Williamsburg Ln. NW. Open Monday through Sunday, 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
4. Jam out at the All Things Go Fall Classic
Take a break from Echostage and check out Union Market instead, where alumnus Zack Friendly will co-host the inaugural All Things Go Fall Classic music festival Saturday. The 10-hour festival will feature indie and electronic headliners like Tove Lo, Haerts and Future Islands, plus food from vendors like Dolcezza and Takorean.
Union Market, 1309 Fifth St. NE. Tickets: $50 in advance or $60 at the door.
5. Sports, sports, sports
Catch one of the eight different football games that start Sunday at 1 p.m. Stay close to Foggy Bottom at The Exchange Sports Saloon (1719 G St. NW), a cozy bar that also happens to be the oldest saloon in the District, or 51st State Bar (2512 L St. NW), a hallmark with a jukebox, 10-cent wings and a happy hour from 4 to 7 p.m. daily. If you’re looking for a more upscale option, try the pub BlackFinn (1620 I St. NW), for game-night entrees and signature cocktails.”

After NCAA overhaul, Nero stays optimistic

“Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster
Athletic Director Patrick Nero said that college sports remain strong, even after the NCAA underwent sweeping structural changes.
With the amateur model of college sports under siege, Athletic Director Patrick Nero is confident GW is strongly positioned to enter "the new generation of college athletics.”
The fourth-year director said the Atlantic 10 will likely move with the most powerful conferences to expand benefits for student athletes, and that he is optimistic a college campus can continue to be a place for athletics.
“I think, yes, we’re at a critical point in time of figuring out how does the sports model work at a collegiate level,” Nero said. “I think anyone that resides on a campus feels like, yes, it’s a good place for sports on a college campus, but I think that we also find ourselves in a place where we’re not really sure what that should look like, but we’re really far down the road to back it up.”
Media Credit: Anna McGarrigle | Hatchet Designer
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors ruled in August to give the five richest conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big 12, Big 10, Pac-12 and Southeastern – autonomy in 11 legislative areas from financial aid and health care to travel expenses. The decision cleared the way for colleges to raise the high water mark for the kinds of resources they provide to student athletes.
The vote also acknowledged that the NCAA’s previous governing structure was outdated. It came at a time when lawsuits have questioned the legality of a college sports model that uses the idea of amateurism to justify making billions of dollars off athletes while paying only for their tuition, room and board.
Still, the ruling has faced criticism: Some say it will further the divide between the haves and have-nots in college sports.
The business, politics of college sports
Nero, an advocate for increasing student-athlete benefits, said he would like to adopt changes like expanded health care, continued education and coverage of post-season travel expenses, as well as full cost of attendance scholarships. GW, along with other colleges outside the Power Five, will be able to opt in to whichever rules are adopted as long as the school can afford it and that school’s conference approves it.
Nero said he predicts measures like the full cost of attendance scholarships to be in place as early as next year.
“I would expect that the Atlantic 10 in most instances will go with the same type of student-athlete benefits that those five conferences do,” Nero said. “I think it’s going to allow us as universities to make sure that the needs of the students are being met first, so I’m happy about that.”
A-10 Commissioner Bernadette McGlade said in a release last month that overall the move is popular among college sports administrators.
“The majority of the leadership in Division I supports enhancing student-athlete benefits,” McGlade said. “As for the Atlantic 10, we will evaluate each opportunity and adopt the proposals that make sense, benefit our student athletes and will be impactful to maintaining the national success that we have established in NCAA championship competition."
But the league cannot join in all of the NCAA’s changes: The A-10 does not have a permanent seat on the new, larger Division I Board of Directors.
The A-10's absence from the chief governing body leaves questions about how a conference that does not sponsor football, the driving force behind many of the legislative changes, will remain successful. All Football Bowl Subdivision schools are permanent members of the Board of Directors.
"There are other conferences that have permanent seats on the board – conferences that don’t bring to the table the financial revenues that the A-10 has in the sport of men’s basketball," Nero said. "To have been left off the board on a consistent basis I think was wrong."
The NCAA made $912.8 million from 2012 to 2013, and 84 percent of that revenue came from the Division I men's basketball tournament. The A-10 received an $8.1 million payout from the NCAA Basketball tournament in 2013, the seventh-largest behind the Power Five and the Big East.
Payouts correspond to conference teams performances in the NCAA tournament. GW's men's basketball team made it to the big dance for the first time in seven years last season, losing in the second round to Memphis.
Men’s basketball head coach Mike Lonergan said he was “a little surprised” by the autonomy decision, and though he supports increasing benefits in the areas of nutrition, academic support and health care, he said he is concerned about the football interest overriding other sports.
“I just don't want to see the powers that be at schools with BCS football programs make decisions that could ruin the NCAA Basketball Tournament, which is a tremendous event. I also don't want to see other sports get hurt by these football decisions,” Lonergan said.
The structural changes have left officials wondering how high revenue-generating programs can continue to coexist alongside those that don't boast the same kind of publicity.
Amateur athletes, full-time students
Still, women's soccer head coach Sarah Barnes said she thought the reforms could be "good for everyone" because they ultimately create safer conditions for players.
Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Athletic Director Patrick Nero has advocated for more student-athelete benefits, like full cost of attendance scholarships.
David Ridpath, a co-editor for the Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, said he does not see a "long-term happy marriage" between the Power Five and the rest of Division I. He said conferences that generate the largest revenues are driving a professionalization of college sports, and attempts to keep pace with more student-athlete benefits and new facilities can cripple even Division I schools.
“I do not believe that big-time football and basketball are about education,” Ridpath said. “It has never been amateur in the true sense of the word for 100 years.”
Nero said he believes the University’s athletic model is sustainable. While he does worry about the future, the fourth-year athletic director thinks GW has been able to promote an academic culture among student athletes, who earned a program-record 3.22 cumulative grade-point average last spring.
Emphasizing academics has not hurt recruiting, Nero added. The women's basketball team, for example, welcomed the top-rated recruiting class in the A-10 to campus this fall.
Among the changes sports administrators have proposed, Nero said he would also support the creation of an alternate organization, like the minor leagues in baseball, for athletes who are interested in professional careers but not necessarily in a college degree.
“What’s hurting us in sports, in basketball and football right now, is that the student athletes don’t seem to have options,” Nero said. “I’m fine with them having other options because that will mean that those who are on campus really want to be there and will be focused on education.””

Staff Editorial: Thumbs up, thumbs down

Sep 08, 2014
“Updated: Sept. 8, 2014 at 7:17 p.m.
Program Board takes risks: Thumbs up
So far this semester, Program Board has taken a fresh approach to some of the University's largest events. Last weekend, Cold War Kids headlined Fall Fest – a much-needed shift away from the electronic dance parties of the past two years.
Then, Program Board announced it will give students an opportunity to help choose future acts, including them in decisions that often draw strong reactions – both positive and negative – on campus. The organization also plans to hold a talent show for student performers, and the winner will open at Spring Fling.
All of these are welcome innovations that demonstrate the group’s commitment to please GW’s diverse, if picky, student body. We’re looking forward to their ideas for the rest of the year.
Media Credit: Cartoon by Jay Fondin
Application changes allow for flexibility: Thumbs up
The University announced last week that applicants can now indicate one school as their top choice and a second as an alternate. It's a smart move for GW to try to allow for more flexibility in the application process: Not every 17-year-old high school senior knows he or she wants to spend all four years of college locked into the Elliott School of International Affairs, for example. These changes allow the less precocious, or less decisive, among us to still apply to GW confidently.
And experts told The Hatchet that the changes will attract more applicants to the school – a chance to increase student diversity. Excitingly, too, students who apply exclusively to the Corcoran College of the Arts + Design won’t be required to submit ACT and SAT scores, which keeps with the school's previous requirements. It’s encouraging to see GW preserve some of the Corcoran's traditions as the two institutions merge.
MSSC building crumbles: Thumbs down
The Multicultural Student Services Center building has been in disrepair for quite some time, a problem that many students at GW had likely never noticed. But those who spend a great deal of time in the building have watched it suffer from neglect.
For years, student leaders have called for more student space, and yet a building with that kind of space that's essential to the diversity and betterment of the school has been forgotten. GW seems to constantly build new, large academic buildings to boost its research reputation, and after the GW Housing Horrors Facebook page gained traction on the local news, the University promised to renovate residence halls every seven years. But for a school that claims it's committed to diversity and inclusion, it needs to start paying attention to buildings not on the admissions tour route. The University should take a systematic approach to renovating the townhouses and buildings that act as the core of student life – starting with the MSSC building.
GW hoops earns national exposure: Thumbs up
This season, 14 of the times GW's men’s basketball team takes the court, their game will be nationally televised . That’s a program record, and it shows a remarkable amount of faith from the powers that be in the potential for fireworks from GW’s program this season. Not only does athletic success boost morale on a campus often lacking it, but spirit can also benefit a school that needs to tap students and alumni for donations. The national exposure will be valuable to the University as it continues a $1 billion fundraising campaign this year.
A solid athletics program also brings the potential of adding two new types of students to our campus – more sports fans, as well as athletes from the far reaches of the country. The chance to watch their kids on TV, an NBC sports reporter told The Hatchet last week, will make parents more willing to send their sports superstars sometimes thousands of miles away for college.
The editorial board is composed of Hatchet staff members and operates separately from the newsroom. This week’s piece was written by opinions editor Robin Jones Kerr and contributing opinions editor Sarah Blugis, based on discussions with managing director Justin Peligri, culture editor Emily Holland, copy editor Rachel Smilan-Goldstein and design editor Sophie McTear.
This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that 14 of the men's basketball team's games will be broadcast on ESPNU. Fourteen of the games will be nationally televised, but not all will be broadcast on ESPNU. We regret this error.”

Importance
Behind improved offense, women's soccer team's defense excels

“Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
Sophomore forward MacKenzie Cowley makes her way up field in a match against Old Dominion University earlier this season. The Colonials won the contest in overtime for their second win of the season, and remain undefeated going into their fifth game. Cameron Lancaster | Photo Editor
One look at the statistics shows women’s soccer's air-tight defense has propelled its perfect start to the 2014 season (4-0-0).
The team has shut out all four games, held opponents to fewer than 10 shots per game and redshirt freshman goalkeeper Miranda Horn has one of two perfect save percentages for a goalie in the Atlantic 10, with a conference Rookie of the Week award to go with it.
But head coach Sarah Barnes said the difference between last year’s 2-2 start to the season and this year’s success is not just the backline.
“We had made huge strides defensively last year, and I think we’re on track to continue that this year, but what’s probably helping us that’s different from last year is that we’re more effective in the attacking third. Some people have really stepped up,” Barnes said.
Barnes said the midfield has been able to open up and create more attacking opportunities, keeping the ball out of the back end.
Through four games, GW has tallied 53 shots and seven assists while averaging 2.75 goals per game. Eight different players have scored the team's 11 goals so far this season, led by juniors Kristi Abbate and Kyla Ridley, sophomore forward MacKenzie Cowley and senior forward Meg Murphy with two goals apiece. Four games into last season, four players accounted for the team’s six goals.
“I think even last year we had a strong defensive team,” Barnes said. “I think there were five ties last year and most were probably 0-0 ties. We could keep them out, but we couldn’t score.”
The Colonials recorded three scoreless draws last season, two against A-10 competitors VCU and Duquesne. The third came against Mount St. Mary’s in non-conference play. In addition, GW dropped two games last season by a score of 1-0.
This year, the Colonials trounced the Mount 6-0 in GW’s season opener, a strong statement of new firepower at the top of the field.
Still, while the fireworks may come from offensive players, continuity from last season was not a given at the start of the year. The team had lost long-time goalie and team leader Nicole Ulrick, who boasted a 0.84 goals against average last season.
Horn had a full year to train with and watch her predecessor from the sidelines, but her seamless transition from the bench to protecting to the net was unexpected.
“It was difficult because I thought everyone that came in, they expect that they are going to play and get a lot of time and experience, but that’s just not how it worked out for me and I think I learned a lot from my experience,” Horn said. “I think that this year, I was just a lot more prepared.”
Barnes added that Brothers’ flexibility is an asset to the team: An MVP and co-captain, Brothers has played at right back, left back and now center back.
“She understands the game plan and she’s very focused,” Barnes said. “She comes off at half time and things aren’t that smooth – she’s asking questions and she’s identifying problems and coming up with solutions. So she’s been really great for us.”
Barnes also recognized Davis and central defensive midfielder Brooke Beane, who has been crucial in dropping back to provide support in front of the defense, as players who give her options in the backfield.
The team has already used that strength on the depth chart: After losing freshman defender Danielle Snajder for the season because of an ACL injury, the chemistry on the backline has stayed consistent.
“We have our defender family,” Murphy said. “It allows us to have a special type of communication.”
But Horn said she looks far beyond the four defenders in front of her for protection.
“I think this season we focused a lot more on team defending, and not just through the back four, but through the midfield and forwards, and everybody working together as a unit,” Horn said.
With a cohesive team committed to defending at any point on the field, and an attack that continues to capitalize on opportunities, the Colonials have molded a solid start to the season.”

Importance
Law professor's complaint threatens Redskins radio coverage

Sep 05, 2014
“Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Sam Klein | Senior Photo Editor
Law professor John Banzhaf filed a lawsuit against a local radio station to ban the use of the term "Redskins" on the air.
A GW law professor challenged a local radio station’s on-air use of the word "Redskins," the controversial name of D.C.'s football franchise, this week.
John Banzhaf, a law professor who focuses on legal activism, is trying to push the Federal Communication Commission to label the word a racial slur, which would prohibit its use on the air. He filed a complaint against WWXX-FM, an ESPN affiliate owned by the team's owner Dan Snyder, arguing that the license for the station should not be renewed because broadcasters now use the term.
“Most people I think would agree that a station that repeatedly used the n-word on the air would have their license taken away,” Banzhaf said. “American Indians call it the r-word. Therefore broadcasters shouldn’t be using the term 'Redskins.'”
If the FCC approves prohibiting the word from the air, a station that uses the team's name could lose its license to report on the airwaves.
The Washington Post editorial board announced last month it would stop calling the team by its name. And Wednesday, the New York Daily News announced it would not use the team’s name in its editorials, or print its logo in the newspaper.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office revoked the team’s trademark this summer, calling it "disparaging to Native Americans.” That ruling cut the franchise’s ability to sue for damages from logo infringement.
Broadcasters that do not refer to the team by name could hurt Snyder's marketing efforts, Banzhaf said.
Still, Snyder has said in the past that he will not consider changing the team’s name.
Banzhaf said former FCC chairman Reed Hunt had supported his efforts to change the team’s name last year, and other former commissioners then joined him.
Banzhaf pointed to his previous successes challenging the FCC, such as when he worked to increase the number of black reporters and anchors on the air in the early 1970s. He said after he filed a motion against a D.C. television news network, it quickly hired an black reporter to avoid losing its license.”

Importance
GW's drug safety office considers app that estimates blood alcohol content

Sep 05, 2014
“Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo
Alexis Janda, associate director of the Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education, said student leaders will test an app that estimates a user's blood alcohol content.
Staff in GW’s alcohol education office are exploring using a smartphone app to help educate students about their alcohol consumption.
Alexis Janda, associate director of the Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education, is recruiting student leaders to test the app this fall, which estimates blood alcohol content based on a user's gender, weight and number of drinks.
EMeRG took about 900 students to the hospital in 2012, the most recent data available, and about one-third of those dispatches were alcohol related.
Student Association Sen. Omeed Firouzi, U-At Large, said the app would bring “crucial information” to students through a user-friendly platform. But he said he thinks the University should do more to educate students about their drinking habits.
“I think there are a lot of students who would be curious about such an app and would be intrigued enough to utilize it,” Firouzi said. “But because it's often perceived by students as a tedious chore and while it doesn't hurt, more should be done.”
Several apps already on the market make it simple to test blood alcohol content, which is the most common way to measure intoxication. An app called "Drink Tracker" gives the user updates every minute. Another allows users to create a “drink diary” to chart daily, weekly or monthly consumption and set limits or goals for their alcohol use.
Aaron White, a program director for the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, said the app could be a helpful educational tool – if students use it responsibly. He said he had never heard of schools using similar apps, though several are on the market.
“Many students are unaware of what the definitions of a standard drink is and probably more have difficulty pouring a single serving,” said White, who studies college and underage drinking prevention. “Apps like this could actually give them false confidence that they’re less intoxicated than they actually are.”
Janda said she has not decided whether she will release the app to students. She also declined to say what company created the app or how much it would cost.
She pitched the idea to student leaders at a training session this fall, Beta Theta Pi president Matt Zahn said.
Zahn said the app was an “interesting idea,” though he thought it could be difficult to get the word out about it to students. CADE typically distributes small cards listing blood alcohol levels at Colonial Inauguration or campus events like the student organization fair.
During Colonial Inauguration, student skits and administrator presentations discuss the dangers of alcohol consumption in the hopes that new students will make safe choices.
Apps that determine intoxication levels can be an important part of alcohol education, said Daniel Lieberman, a psychiatry professor at the GW Medical Faculty Associates. The University already requires freshmen to complete an alcohol and drug use training program called My Student Body.
“It’s helpful to try to promote strategies for healthy drinking from as many different ways as possible,” Lieberman said.
Colleen Murphy and Eva Palmer contributed reporting.”

News Topics