StudentsReview :: George Washington University

George Washington University

GWU Campus News

Randa Zammam: The fight to save the arts isn't over
Nov 22, 2015
“After brutal budget cuts to the music department last semester, you couldn’t go 10 minutes without hearing someone rant about saving the arts at GW. But this academic year, I haven’t heard much about it.
Last month, I attended a play put on by the theater and dance department starring some of my fellow students. “The Basilisk of Barnagasso” was funny and exceptionally well done, yet I was upset to look around at the rest of the audience and see that less than half of the 425 seats were filled on its opening night.
As I walked back home from the Marvin Center, a bitter thought crossed my mind. Last semester’s drastic cuts to the music program prevent any non-majors or minors from taking music classes, and this semester, we saw cuts to the creative writing department. Little by little, the University continues to chip away at the programs that students rely on for a creative relief from their other classes or to have a well-rounded education. So why aren’t students taking the time to support the arts?
In the spring, a 16-hour protest concert brought students together in solidarity against the budget cuts that hit music the hardest, but it seems like student activists have forgotten the cause since then. Students should work harder to convince the University that they care about the arts and other creative programs at GW – and that effort starts with attending productions, poetry slams and other events on campus.
Sometimes social media works, but an online presence will never match the value of real-life advocacy. Students last year brought attention to program cuts with the hashtag #SavetheArtsGW, but bringing awareness and actually doing something are two completely different things. These cuts affect students and professors alike, so we can’t assume that tweeting and posting on Facebook is enough. If you care about the arts, you have to put in the time and effort to prove it.
Each of us can accomplish amazing things in our respective programs and it would be a shame if more funding was lost because we failed to support each other. It doesn’t make sense for students to launch a widespread campaign against budget cuts but then not do everything we can to support them now by actually showing up to student productions and concerts. I refuse to believe that #SavetheArtsGW was just a phase in our temporary campus activism.
The best way to grab officials’ attention is to endorse the arts, though there’s no proven formula for how to reverse a decision to make cuts to vulnerable programs. The University may regard our complaints now as noise unworthy of consideration, but one thing they do pay attention to is money. If students support the arts in the most practical way of old-school attendance, then GW will notice consistently packed auditoriums or sold-out shows and performances. It’s up to us to prove that we’re not just all talk.
If the University sees an influx of participation in the arts, officials will want to capitalize on its prospects. GW only recently acquired the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design, so it would make sense for the school to boost the arts if students are interested, rather than cut them down. By having a robust arts program that garners student attention and attendance, the University may be able to attract more talented students.
One step in the right direction is for the departments to start advertising and promoting their own upcoming events. As a student who isn’t fully immersed in the arts, it’s hard for me to find out about theater productions or a band’s concerts unless I’m personally told about them. Even just a University-wide email, like the ones we receive that promote basketball games, could increase awareness of upcoming opportunities for students to come and support the arts. Most of us receive notifications about the big events at Lisner Auditorium, but we need to be better informed about smaller shows and events put on by students.
Of course, not every student has the time or the money to go to concerts and performances. Even free shows can cost students, since they may conflict with shifts at work or their only free time to do homework. But those of us who have the time and the money should support the programs and extracurriculars that are important to us.
We can’t allow the University to continue cutting funding for programs about which they think we don’t care. Student engagement in the GW community has always been a bit lacking, but if we all band together, maybe that would grab officials’ attention.
Randa Zammam, a sophomore majoring in international affairs, is a Hatchet opinions writer. Want to respond to this piece? Submit a letter to the editor.”

Irene Ly: First-generation students should take advantage of new support system
Nov 18, 2015
“We all know college can be stressful, and so can the ups and downs that come with it. Midterms are finally behind us and Thanksgiving is just around the corner – but then we still have to get through the horror of finals before winter break. However, for some of us, putting in that final push to the end of the semester is easier said than done.
GW has been making an effort to increase the socioeconomic and racial diversity of its student body, but we often forget one very important step. We put all of our focus on getting first-generation students into college, but then do little to keep students there. Getting into college for a first-generation student is hard, but it’s only an uphill battle from there – and staying long enough to graduate is even harder.
Two GW students are starting a student organization that focuses on advocacy, support and financial help for first-generation college students. It’s a great initiative that will hopefully help first-generation students stay on track and in school. First-generation students who lack a support system or are experiencing culture shock should jump at the chance to participate in this organization to help ease their transition into life at GW.
I’m a first-generation college student and came from a high school with many students in the same situation. My parents did what they could to help, but for the most part, the college application process was something through which many of my friends and I guided ourselves.
By giving these students a community of people in similar situations, this student organization will likely increase students’ chances of staying at and graduating from GW. Knowing there are others like you goes a long way in making you feel like you belong and can succeed. If such a group existed when I was a freshman, perhaps it wouldn’t have taken me so long to make the transition.
When I came into GW, I was hit with culture shock. Although the student body is quite diverse geographically, it was worlds away from my high school in Falls Church, Va., despite being just 20 minutes away. I spent my entire school life in a very racially and financially diverse public school system, and attended a high school where first-generation, minority students like myself were the majority.
Yet in my first semester here, I found myself sitting in a classroom where I was the only Asian-American. I also overheard my classmates talking about the private schools they went to, the fancy jobs their parents had or all the people in their family who have gone to GW. For the first time in my life, I felt completely out of place at my school.
Despite that, I have to admit I’m a pretty darn lucky person. Although my parents, who grew up in Vietnam, could not give me first-hand advice on college or the application process, they more than made up for it with their moral support and encouragement. They remain a major support system in my life and they’re always reminding me to try hard, but allow myself to breathe as well.
It took a while, but I have made some close friends at GW, and I found my place through writing and through joining a professional fraternity. Somewhere along the line, the pieces of my life finally started to fall together, and I have slowly gotten over my culture shock.
But others aren’t so lucky. A 2008 Pell Institute study found that low-income, first-generation students were nearly four times more likely – 26 percent compared to 7 percent – to leave higher education after the first year than students who had neither of those risk factors.
Another national data point is that only 11 percent of low-income, first-generation students go on to earn a bachelor’s degree after six years, in comparison to 55 percent of their peers who do not fall into one of those categories.
It’s easy for these students to feel isolated. Their parents did not go to college, and while they can listen, they can’t quite empathize with the stresses of college life. Or, they may feel like they don’t share anything in common with classmates who come from college-educated families. On top of that, they are more likely to also spend significant time working or taking care of family obligations in order to enjoy their college experience.
If allowed to thrive, this student organization may make a huge difference for first-generation students struggling to acclimate into college life. And this is one way that GW can not only boost, but also maintain, its diversity.
Irene Ly, a sophomore majoring in psychology, is a Hatchet opinions writer. Want to respond to this piece? Submit a letter to the editor.”

Kappa Alpha plans fundraisers to honor late member
“Media Credit: Jillian DiPersio | Hatchet Photographer
Members of the Kappa Alpha fraternity will put the money raised during their four-day philanthropy to place a tree and a bench on campus in honor of junior Nicholas Upton, a member of the fraternity who drowned while studying abroad in South Africa this fall.
As a trying fall semester for Kappa Alpha winds down, the chapter will spend this week honoring a member who died in August.
During the fraternity's philanthropy week, members will fundraise in memory of junior Nicholas Upton, a former member of the fraternity who drowned while studying abroad in South Africa this August. Kappa Alpha usually raises money for muscular dystrophy patients, but leaders in the fraternity said they changed the week’s focus to reflect the impact Upton had on the group.
The chapter has been selling apparel at Foggy Bottom Grocery on F Street so students can use money stored on their GWorld money to pay for the gear. Kappa Alpha will also host two hour-long “charity rides” at SoulCycle and FlyWheel this week, as well as two penny wars in Kogan Plaza and a fundraiser at Sweetgreen on Monday night.
Chapter president Omar Ali said the chapter wants to dedicate a tree and a bench on campus to Upton, and said any extra funds raised would go to a local water safety awareness foundation. It would cost about $2,500 to add a plaque to a bench on campus and $5,000 to plant a tree, Ali said.
Ali met Upton on their second day of freshman year in an architecture class, and the pair lived on the same floor in Thurston Hall. Ali said he hoped the tree and bench would be placed near two locations he called Upton’s “homes” on campus: the Smith Center and the Kappa Alpha house.
“If you didn’t find him in one or the other, then I seriously don’t know where he’d be – maybe going for a walk or checking out museums of architecture,” Ali said. “I want it close enough to both places where people can be like, 'Wow, this guy,’ where he can be seen. I don’t want that memory to ever fade. That’s my biggest fear – is people don’t realize how impactful Nick was.”
Upton's body was recovered near New London, South Africa on Sept. 4, five days after he was last seen swimming with friends in the East Cape province.
Upton was an international affairs major and a member of the rowing team.
Ali said Upton had one of the highest GPAs in their fraternity, he said he hopes that with a memorial, students – “not just my brothers but people at GW” – will aspire to be like him.
“I mean he couldn’t catch a ball for the life of him, but you know, there’s this picture of him on a boat and just like arms flexing and everything and dude looks yolked,” he said. “He’s a Jack of all trades, but beyond that, when we went to his funeral, people were talking about his outstanding character. Like he always stood up for the right thing, like a beacon of light, like a lighthouse in the darkness.”
Aaron Goodtree, a junior and the chapter's philanthropy chair, said students outside of Greek life have bought apparel through the fraternity over the last few weeks, which doesn’t normally happen during the general Greek-life-oriented fundraising. Goodtree is a former Hatchet reporter.
He said other organizations Upton was involved in, like the rowing team, were “very excited” to play Kappa Alpha in a dodgeball tournament alongside sororities on Sunday.
“Nick’s loss was felt across campus. You saw how many people were at the vigil and I can’t imagine that all those people knew Nick personally,” Goodtree said. “It was such an outpouring of support.””

Club field hockey vies for varsity status
“Media Credit: File Photo by Ashley Le | Hatchet Photographer
Sophomore Cameryn Lonsway met with athletic director Patrick Nero earlier this fall to discuss the pros and cons of adding a varsity field hockey team to GW's sports offerings.
On Oct. 4, the club field hockey team had a scrimmage scheduled against UMBC. The Retrievers, however, didn’t show up. This usually happens at least once each year but, since the team is not a varsity program, there isn’t much they can do about it.
Over the last few years, club field hockey has gone from a team struggling with high attrition rates to one with about 40 members, too many to use in a game. Now, a few members are trying to make sure that they get the nod next time GW decides to add a varsity program, even though they likely would never get to play for it.
“We have never been better as a team and we just want to take it one step further,” junior Sydney Mann, club field hockey president last year and through this fall, said. “Even though that step isn’t very small, it’s still one step further.”
Sports sponsorship is evaluated as part of the athletic strategic plan. The current plan was adopted in 2012 and involved adding a varsity sailing program to GW’s 21 other varsity sports offerings. The plan spells out the department’s strategy through 2017, when a new plan will be enacted which could include adding a sport.
Though the enthusiasm is there from the players, athletic director Patrick Nero said there is no reason right now to see the club field hockey team as a front-runner because the committee that will evaluate which sports GW should or should not have is just being formed.
“Field hockey has some unique factors on the positive side and it has some unique factors on the negative side, but we’re nowhere near the point where we would look and say what are the sports we’ll look at,” Nero said.
Making a team
The group to pick a team includes alumni, some of the former athletes, and Board of Trustees members as well as select individuals outside the athletics world with a particular connection to GW, like Director of Admissions Karen Stroud Felton.
Any decision made has to comply with the federal anti-discrimination law Title IX, meaning that the ratio of male student athletes to female student athletes must mirror enrollment. Nero said that the athletic department and the strategic plan committee look at admissions projections to figure out what they should do.
Nero said that committee would start meeting within the next three to six months and focus on setting the factors that will guide their selection process, weighting potential admissions draw, current roster numbers, ability to be competitive and the level of resource commitment. Any potential additions will be evaluated, as will the group of currently sponsored teams.
“In order for us to sponsor a team, we have to feel strongly that they can have competitive success and right now we define competitive success as within their conference or our market basket of schools,” Nero said.
Other potential candidates could run the gamut from men’s lacrosse to women’s rugby to something more obscure but potentially less costly, like rifling.
A varsity field hockey team, however, would need an Astroturf field to host games and practice on. GW currently has a turf field, but not Astroturf, and it is already in high demand. The field is used by both soccer teams and women’s lacrosse on the varsity level, as well as several club programs, including field hockey. The University has not been able to get a license approved to add lights to the field on the Mount Vernon Campus which means that teams have to compete for daylight hours.
A play for the future
The motivation, particularly for Mann and sophomore social chair Cameryn Lonsway, isn’t necessarily to play on a varsity team themselves. They know that would come certainly after they graduate. But they’ve seen the program grow around them and want to do something to cement that change.
The team currently schedules 10 games and tournaments during the fall season, though the National Field Hockey League they are part of only requires seven. Members pay dues of $100 in the fall and $75 in the spring. This fall, the team finished 3‒5‒1 with a league rank of 30, including a 5‒0 win over American and a 6‒0 win over Johns Hopkins.
It was Lonsway who emailed Nero earlier this fall, initially asking questions, and at his invitation met with him in his office. She said that because of the strategic plan committee’s meeting schedule, Nero and his advisers suggested she get back in touch after winter break when more progress has been made.
“It would be really cool to be one of the first people who started it at GW,” Lonsway said. “Obviously at first I was thinking how incredible it would be to be on the first D-I field hockey team at GW but even if that doesn’t happen, now the idea’s in my head and I don’t really want to let it go.”
If the sport was chosen to be bumped up, Lonsway could have the opportunity to play with the varsity team during a transition year. Nero said that GW and the Atlantic 10, in theory, would have to evaluate any individual case to decide whether or not the team was ready for a full A-10 slate of games, but if a team is eligible for NCAA tournaments they are typically eligible for league tournaments as well. The A-10 does sponsor field hockey.
The players say that the plan would be to continue fielding a club team, but that having a varsity team would be a draw for people to come to GW and that a few select players on the team now would likely want to play at the varsity level.
It would help take the team, bolstered in size by an aggressive social media presence and practicing up to five times each week, out of the limbo of attracting skilled players, particularly from the prep schools in New England that are often feeders for GW, but still struggling to get its own set of goalie gear and having opponents no-show for games.
And it would also give players like Lonsway, who said she told the athletic department that she would “do anything” necessary, a chance to leave an imprint on a team that has left one on her.
“I love field hockey. Anything field hockey, that’s what I want to get involved in,” Lonsway said. “If I can make that difference and make that happen that’s something that I would be proud of.””

“Media Credit: Keren Carrion | Hatchet Photographer
Senior Arissa Morrell, center, plays a game of cornhole in the Lerner Health and Wellness Center during the men's basketball home opener tailgate on Friday.”

Curry makes impact as a men's soccer walk-on
Nov 14, 2015
“Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Sophomore Oliver Curry took a chance by choosing to go to GW, a school where he wasn't recruited, and competing for a spot on the team as a walk-on. He's played a significant role in each of his two years on the team.
Though it came to an untimely end Thursday afternoon in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Championship, men’s soccer surprised the league this season, winning the league’s regular season title after being picked 10th during the preseason.
Sophomore Oliver Curry collected six points on two goals and two assists throughout the season – not the first time he’s overcome long odds. The Santa Monica, Calif. native wasn’t recruited by GW during high school – he wasn’t recruited by any Division I programs – but he was determined to make it at a higher level.
“It was definitely a really tough moment for me, having gotten into a great university but not knowing if I was going to continue playing the game that I love. So now that I have had success, it’s become a really fun story to tell,” Curry said. “Just kind of one of those inspirational ones that you tell your friends or you tell little kids to keep working hard.”
Curry was a standout player at the Windward School, but not playing on an academy team coupled with the depth of athletic talent in Southern California, meant he only received several Division III offers.
Curry didn’t think he was a Division III player. He talked to his parents, convincing them that he could go it alone. He applied to GW, which he loved for its international affairs program, and got in.
A former player found out that he was headed to Foggy Bottom, and called head coach Craig Jones to tell him that Curry might be someone to take a look at. Jones invited him to the team’s identification camp over the summer.
“He came into the camp and we were instantly like, ‘Wow, this kid. We’ve got to offer him a spot,'” Jones said.
Curry had found a place with the team, but had to catch up with the rest of the players who had benefited from the program’s built-in infrastructure like summer workout plans. The preseason was physically grueling, but when the regular season opener came around, Curry had surprised his coaches, parents and himself by securing a starting spot.
He went on, in his freshman campaign, to lead the team in assists and play in all 17 games, starting six.
Curry said that, even for him, it happened faster than he expected. But carving out a role for himself was even more rewarding given the chance he’d taken in trying out for the team.
Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Sophomore Oliver Curry had the highest efficiency rate of any player on the men's soccer team this year, earning a point every 55 minutes on the pitch.
“It was a very big judgment call, I would say, where I had to decide whether I wanted to, I guess, settle for Division III and maybe play a little bit more or try and test myself by going the route of trying to walk on to Division I,” Curry said. “So happily it worked out. It worked out great. I have no regrets.”
After his success freshman year, Curry had more confidence that he would be able to contribute to the team going forward, until he suffered a hamstring injury – his fourth, but first in college – at the beginning of the season.
He missed a month, including the team’s West Coast road trip at the beginning of the summer where his parents could have watched him play, but was able to come back in good form. Curry played in 12 games, starting two, and was still fourth best on the team in points. On a per-minute basis, he was the most efficient player on the team, notching a point for every 55 minutes he spent on the field.
“I think this year, you know he probably would have liked to have played more minutes, but when he does play he’s a threat,” Jones said.
He hopes to play professionally, though he knows the odds are even slimmer than making it at the D-I level. Curry has wanted to go pro since he started kicking a ball at age five, but the dream began to feel more possible when he made it to GW.
He knows the odds are slim, though, so every minute Curry does play, he says he enjoys more because it might not have happened at all.
“Thinking about it from the perspective of maybe being somewhere else, or maybe being at another level and then realizing that I’m at this incredibly high level now, makes me that much more thankful and that much more hungry for success,” Curry said. “So, yeah, even just before the games when I’m walking into the locker room I’m thinking to myself, ‘Wow, look at how you got here look at what you’ve done. Just keep working hard.'””

Osei-Wusu brings experience on the Ghanian national team to men's soccer
Nov 12, 2015
“Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Sophomore midfielder Koby Osei-Wusu controls the ball in the Colonials' game versus UMBC earlier this season. Osei-Wusu has five assists on the season.
Koby Osei-Wusu, a sophomore midfielder on the newly crowned A-10 regular-season champion men’s soccer team, made a name for himself as a middle and high schooler because he played for “almost every team” in the D.C. area, including at powerhouse high school DeMatha Catholic and for D.C. United’s U-15 team.
But while he was playing for his academy team in Maryland, Bethesda Olney, a scout noticed Osei-Wusu and encouraged him to play for a team far, far away.
“A scout for the Ghanaian program lived in Virginia and would come to some of my games. He knew I was a good player, and last year, he came to a few GW games,” Osei-Wusu said. “He told me I was playing really well and should go over to Ghana to train with the U-20 team for their upcoming games and tournaments. So I took the opportunity.”
Though Osei-Wusu was born in the U.S. and grew up in Maryland, both of his parents were born in Ghana. His mother came to the United States at the age of 13, and his father came at the age of 19 on a soccer scholarship to Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania. This family soccer tradition gave Osei-Wusu an early introduction to the game and helped his quick rise to some of his area’s top teams.
On Thursday, Osei-Wusu and the Colonials will begin the Atlantic 10 tournament as the top seed. Osei-Wusu has had a strong sophomore campaign, and has been calm under increased pressure. He has started 14 games for GW and has collected five assists.
“We’ve known he was going to be a big piece of the puzzle for us,” head coach Craig Jones said. “He’s really stepped up this year and is having a great season.”
D.C. United’s youth development program, coupled with Osei-Wusu’s participation in many of the area’s other top soccer academies, provided an ideal springboard for his high school career at DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Md.
DeMatha is known nationally as an athletic powerhouse, having produced NBA players Jerian Grant and Victor Oladipo and NFL players Brian Westbrook and Cameron Wake, among many others. Osei-Wusu’s DeMatha career benefited from a timely regulation change that allowed him to be an active participant on both his academy and high school teams.
Osei-Wusu said that being able to play alongside other Division I prospects as well as future national team participants pushed him and helped him be ready for the level of competition at GW.
“It was really awesome because my best friends at school were playing soccer with me and pushing me to get better, almost like a preview of college,” Osei-Wusu said.
Jones began recruiting Osei-Wusu during October of his senior year of high school in 2013. The appeal of the Colonials’ program was boosted by advice Osei-Wusu received from his high school soccer coach, a GW alumnus.
“My head coach at DeMatha had played at GW and knew I had other offers, but told me to take a serious look at GW because he loved his experience here,” Osei-Wusu said. “After watching me at a big tournament in Florida, they gave me a good offer and I committed.”
Following his strong freshman season, in which he saw action in 14 games for the Colonials and started four, Osei-Wusu traveled to Ghana to give the U-20 team a shot, staying there from the last week of December until January 19. Even after having stiff competition at DeMatha and a season of college soccer, Osei-Wusu immediately noticed a difference between the commitment level of the Ghanaian players and that of players stateside.
“Everyone around me was so good and cared so much more than players in the U.S. It’s another level of intensity and desire,” Osei-Wusu said. “At GW, I’m playing soccer as well as focusing on my education. The players in Ghana are only playing soccer, because when soccer may be your only way to make it out of poverty, you try so much harder.”
The team constantly rotated players in and out of the starting lineup, so competition among team members was also fierce. Osei-Wusu said that, of about 30 players in total, 18 players were taken to each game and coaches were quick to make changes if someone was performing well.
Osei-Wusu loved the environment and his teammates’ passion, and hopes to return to play with the Ghanaian team again.
“Everyone works so hard, so it was an awesome experience. I’d like to continue with the program, if possible. I’m having a pretty good season, so we’ll see if more opportunities come about either over winter break or next summer,” Osei-Wusu said.
Osei-Wusu said that right now he’s focused on helping the Colonials win, which he’s doing with his assist numbers. By the end of his college career he would like to make the A-10 first team and be named the conference’s Midfielder of the Year, but his ultimate goal would be achieved after Osei-Wusu’s GW career comes to a close.
“I would like to have the opportunity to play professionally after college. I think that’s the coolest thing in the world: getting paid to do something you love and that you’ve worked so hard for,” Osei-Wusu said. “That would be amazing.””

The delivery dilemma: Postmates vs. Seamless
Nov 09, 2015
“Media Credit: Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor
If you're feeling lazy and are not afraid to shell out some cash, Postmates or Seamless make food delivery from restaurants like Chipotle easy and customizable.
Grace Gannon | Assistant Culture Editor
After a long and stressful day when you're too lazy to grocery shop and you’re sick of eating from the hot bar at Whole Foods, that’s when you turn to Postmates.
Postmates is the delivery app that can bring you nearly anything you want, unlike the more narrow options available through Seamless. Order yoga pants from LuluLemon or birthday cake truffles from Milk Bar and have them delivered to your door in under an hour. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, Postmates couriers roam the streets of D.C. in bikes and cars, waiting to bring you whatever your lazy self desires. Not all superheroes wear capes.
I first started using the app last year when, coming in from a late-night flight, I had no food in my room and did not feel like trying to direct the Dominos delivery man to my dorm on the Mount Vernon Campus.
So, I decided to order a Chipotle burrito bowl through Postmates, which my friend had recommended to me earlier in the year but I had dismissed thinking I would never be that lazy.
With the delivery person’s phone number, I was able to text her detailed instructions for how to find Clark Hall (this function has also allowed me to communicate with deaf couriers.) Thirty minutes later she showed up, simultaneously satisfying my guacamole craving and turning me into a Postmates addict for life.
Now, anytime a weird craving strikes me at midnight and I don’t want to leave my dorm, I can just have Postmates bring me my order of whipped cream, the latest issue of People Magazine and that nail polish remover I’ve been meaning to buy.
Those trying out Postmates should beware, however, of the delivery prices, which vary depending on the restaurant. While Postmates currently partners with more than 30 stores in the area, including Noodles & Company and Melt Shop on L Street, with a $4.99 standard delivery fee, other popular places like Chipotle charge upward of $7.50 for delivery. Postmates also uses “Blitz Pricing” during busy hours, with delivery fees almost twice the cost in normal conditions.
The most I’ve ever spent on a delivery fee is $13 for some Ben and Jerry’s and Diet Coke from Safeway during finals week (whatever stress-eating purchases happen during finals week stay in finals week.)
The app itself is sleekly designed and easy to use, with not too much information crowding the homepage. A map tracker shows you exactly how long until the food is picked up and how long until it’s delivered. The excitement of watching that clock count down to zero nearly makes up for the guilt of watching your bank account balance do the same.
Regina Park | Hatchet Staff Writer
The number of times my friends and I have sat in Gelman Library craving international cuisine and frantically searched the web for vague phrases like “delicious noodles delivery in the District” is impossible to count.
Since my friends introduced me to the handy delivery service app named Seamless, our 3 a.m. craving sessions were never the same.
Getting Chinese food delivered to Gelman at 3 a.m. for six people? $70. The pleasure of slurping chow mein between bites of orange chicken when you would have otherwise gone for a boring crepe? Priceless.
Seamless immediately took the indecision out of the process, streamlining it so we only had to wait about an hour for our food instead of three (two of which would inevitably be spent on the great Mexican vs. pizza debate).
Oh, and don’t forget the special instructions. One of my best experiences ordering on any delivery app was thanks to those nifty special instructions. Sure, you could be boring and just write, “no onions” or “extra cheese.” But why hold yourself back when you can go the extra mile?
Once, when I stumbled home from a rather late night, I asked in the special instructions to “draw me a pretty picture.” Approximately 45 minutes later, my wings arrived along with a drawing of a butterfly scribbled in sharpie on the top of the Styrofoam case.
Seamless will go that extra mile for you. Seamless understands.
On the basis of price, Seamless is the penny pincher of delivery apps ($11 for empanadas plus delivery? Tell me you’re lying!) Although the extra fee varies with distance and the base delivery minimum asked by the restaurant, it’s easily the least exorbitant of any delivery app around (I’m looking at you, Postmates.)
In fact, the beauty of Seamless is in the simplicity of it. As soon as you log into the app, it asks you your address so it can immediately locate nearby restaurants that are open for delivery – or if you so prefer, pick up. Reminiscent of Yelp in its design, the Seamless app is clearly interested in one thing and one thing only: giving you the information you need to order some food.
Seamless also gives you the restaurant’s rating, whether or not it takes coupons, the price range, the distance from your location, a rough estimate of when your food will arrive and the delivery minimum.
Seems like a load of information all at once? Somehow the design of the app condenses everything you need for the best delivery possible into an easily digestible format.”

Staff Editorial: It’s time to overhaul Colonial Inauguration
Nov 09, 2015
“Media Credit: Cartoon by Juliana Kogan
Attending Colonial Inauguration as a freshman is like taking a trip to Disney World. Students drive or fly in with their parents and perhaps siblings in tow, then spend three days participating in GW’s specialized programming. The weekend is complete with performances, sightseeing trips and enthusiastic Colonial Cabinet members dressed in uniforms paired with brightly colored accessories.
For all intents and purposes, CI is like a vacation. And preparation for next summer's freshman vacation has already begun, as GW will host information sessions this month for current students interested in becoming Colonial Cabinet members.
Because it takes place during the summer and is so far removed from freshman move-in, the structure of CI isn’t as effective as it could be. Right now, GW is doing its students a disservice by keeping their orientation so separate from the rest of their freshman year. Instead, the University should hold CI during the week before classes start, and save incoming freshmen from the headache of disrupting their summers.
Nine of GW’s peer schools, including Georgetown University and New York University, hold freshman orientation right before classes begin. It’s unfair for GW to force incoming freshmen to travel to D.C. twice in the same summer. Depending on the distance students and their families have to travel, they might be paying thousands of dollars to fly to D.C. and stay in a hotel for both CI and move-in. Considering the fact that tuition for incoming students has consistently increased every year for the past few years, it makes sense for GW to help students save money by eliminating that extra trip.
Plus, attending CI two months before class starts is simply inefficient. Students need to learn so much during their three orientation days – about everything from study abroad options to GW’s drug and alcohol policies – that it’s impossible for them to retain everything between CI and the start of classes. After they head back home to spend several long weeks with their friends and families, it’s unlikely they’ll remember exactly where Mental Health Services is, or how to look for internships on GWork.
Officials have already taken steps over the last several years to make CI more informative, adding more information about sexual assault awareness and retiring the over-the-top laser light shows. Holding CI closer to the start of school could further that mission.
As overwhelming as CI is, it isn’t quite as hectic as Welcome Week. Right now, Welcome Week serves as a pseudo-orientation, during which students are bombarded with emails about information sessions for their majors, student organizations and University processes. Meanwhile, they’re still expected to attend classes – along with figuring out which ones to add, drop or keep.
It’s all too much for students to handle before they’ve had a chance to adjust to campus, which likely leads many of them to miss out on these events altogether. Holding CI the week before classes in lieu of Welcome Week for freshmen would make students’ first few days on campus much less stressful for everyone, since it would eliminate the need for information sessions and events during the first week of class.
And it would give the University the chance to involve more student organizations in orientation, too. With more students on campus, student organizations could co-sponsor events and host their own, giving freshmen a more well-rounded picture of student life than they would ever get by stopping by the student organization fair at CI. This could also take some pressure off of Colonial Cabinet members, since they would no longer be the only current students on campus representing GW.
Of course, one of the most important benefits of CI is that it allows students to meet their future classmates. But summer orientation is broken up into four sessions, meaning students only interact with a small portion of their class. And since international students are all required to participate in the last CI session, they’re cut off from all of the other freshmen.
Holding orientation over the summer inhibits class bonding. If freshmen all participated in CI together, they would meet a more diverse mix of domestic and international students, and may have a better sense of what their graduating class is really like.
Freshman orientation should be about helping students acclimate to college life, but that can only work if orientation feels realistic – and right now, it doesn’t. Instead, parents are just a few blocks away, there are few current students on campus and the entire process feels rushed and temporary.
Moving orientation to the week before class would not only paint a more accurate picture of GW, but would also give students plenty of time to steady themselves before their classes begin. CI isn’t really helping students to adjust – it’s simply giving them a quick view of a carefully controlled and glamorized version of campus.
The editorial board is composed of Hatchet staff members and operates separately from the newsroom. This week’s piece was written by opinions editor Sarah Blugis and contributing opinions editor Melissa Holzberg, based on discussions with sports editor Nora Princiotti, design editor Samantha LaFrance, copy editor Brandon Lee and assistant sports editor Mark Eisenhauer.
Want to respond to this piece? Submit a letter to the editor.”

The Hatchet's Basketball Guide
Nov 04, 2015
“Over the last four years, basketball at GW has been rejuvenated, and this year’s senior class is most responsible for having led both programs back to the postseason.”
(showing 10) Show All