StudentsReview :: George Washington University

George Washington University

GWU Campus News

Zach Montellaro: To infinity and beyond
“Media Credit: Dan Rich | Photo Editor
Each year, graduating editors are given 30 final column inches – “30” was historically used to signify the end of a story – to reflect on their time at The Hatchet, published in the final issues of the year.
When I came to GW, I never, ever wanted to be a journalist. I was going to be a history professor, or bullshit around on the Hill or do literally anything else except report. Journalists were unpaid, overworked dreamers, and that’s something I never aspired to be.
But I lived on the Vern my freshman year, and it was a slow night. Somehow, be it divine providence or a friend leaving it behind, an application for The Hatchet multimedia section ended up in my room, behind my bed.
And well, because it was The Vern and there’s nothing better to do on a weeknight during your second week of freshman year, I filled it out. It took me about an hour total to do it. Worst case scenario, I wasted an hour of an otherwise slow night trying to join another student org.
What could possibly come from one application?
As it turns out, a lot. A whole lot. That dumb, rushed application turned into my entire life in college, and it turned into my home. The Hatchet has been an institution I have poured literal blood, sweat and tears into. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.
For nearly my entire time at college, my home base has never been my dorm room or Gelman or whatever - it has always been the Hatchet townhouse. From the moment I walked in the doors of 2140 G, I knew I found where I wanted to be. One of my earliest memories was my first editor stopping a meeting to make us watch a concert of diva singers, and him regaling us with his deep, fawning affection for Aretha Franklin. And as weird as it sounded, I started to think that here’s where I would fit in.
And for a reason still beyond me, I was made an editor at the end of my freshman year. And I ran with it - right into a wall. I’ve never felt more in over my head then in those first couple of months - and never more certain that I wasn’t cut out to be a journalist. Sure, it was fun bopping around D.C. shooting videos, but all this could ever be was a hobby, right?
But I stuck with it, not because I thought I was any good, but because I wanted to be with my friends. I would hang around the townhouse my sophomore year, getting coffee and food for other editors just because I wanted to be with them. I huddled up in my chair at all hours of the day, butting in on meetings and peppering other editors with questions about what exactly they were doing. And inch by inch, I started to get better.
But my biggest problem has always been confidence. Despite all my bravado, I never think I’m really the guy for the job. I would never say I’m a good reporter, or a good writer - I just happened to be in the right place at the right time or the most willing to fall flat on my face. And in the last two years, The Hatchet has helped me break that problem - that maybe, just maybe, I could do this.
The Hatchet moved onto bigger things (say, a brand new townhouse) over the next two years, and so did I. I finally grew into my metaphorical paws. I stomped (shoeless) around the townhouse, teasing editors when they needed it and trying to help when they needed that too. I didn’t have to pretend I knew what I was doing, because sometimes I actually did. I knew I finally figured out what I was meant to do, and that was to be a journalist.
And as I accept that reality, I also have to accept another more crushing one - it’s time to let go. Time to move out of my home of the last four years, out into the real world and into newsrooms where I can’t kick off my shoes and scream about the Mets at all hours of the night. The Hatchet gave me some great experiences that all seemed to revolve around stalking the District’s dogs. But it also gave two other important things – the confidence to walk into these new newsrooms with my head held high and a group of lifelong friends to catch me when I fall. It gave me the strength to forge ahead, to infinity and beyond:
Sam, Molly, Maddie and Sean : Thanks for always putting up with my Hatchet crap, even when you really, really didn’t want to. You guys have kept me grounded in the outside world and each deserve far more words that I can give here.
Mom and Dad : I’m sure you couldn’t have been thrilled to watch me dive headfirst into a career with awful job security and even worse pay. You’ve both worked so, so incredibly hard your entire life so that could be a choice I could make, and there’s nothing in this world I’ll ever be able to do to repay that. Thank you so much for your support, I love both of you. Syd , thank you for being my long distance support system. You were always the better twin.
Gabe : There’s no better place to start my list of Hatchet folks than with you, right? I stumbled blindly into your section, and you let me stay. You were the first person who ever showed any confidence in what I was doing here, and the first one who pushed me to do more. Thank you for that, thank you for the impromptu concerts during multimedia meetings and thank you for everything. Without your guidance during my freshman year, I quite literally don’t know what I’d be doing with my life. Gabby, Marie, Francis and Gabe, thanks for adopting me into the bigger visuals family years ago. It’s been a blast.
Cory : As you put it much more elegantly than I ever could, where would I be without you? The answer is probably nowhere near where I am today. Thank you for hiring a dumb New Yorker who had absolutely no right being on staff. I hope I haven’t let you down because everything I’ve done at The Hatchet has been to prove that you made the right decision then. I miss yelling about baseball with you, and it looks like my eternal devotion to the Mets is starting to finally pay off. I selfishly hope you grow tired of the west coast so you move back here so that we can go to more ballgames.
Diana : One of my earliest memories as an editor was you basically threatening me into being your date to our first Hatchet prom. I was a huge dork who insisted on getting a matching tie, so thank you for putting up with that. But beyond the time, thank you for being my partner in crime. I don’t think either of us really knew what we were doing, but together we made a really phenomenal team. Nobody can light up a room like you do, and I miss your infectious happiness in the townhouse. The next time I’m back in New York, you owe me a bagel.
Big Gabe : Your “Hey, I’m Zach Montellaro” accent still needs some work, but I can forgive that. Besides the time you made an attempt to kill me, you were always there with a great joke (or a good beer) to lighten the mood. I’m still drinking crappy beer because you haven’t guided your mini-me, and that’s something we need to change now that I’m (almost) a real adult.
Culture crew : Some of you were the coolest folks I ever worked with ( Morgan, Tati, Holla ) and some of you ( Ally ) were the lamest, but there was never a time I didn’t enjoy spending time with each one of you.
Justin : Thank you for always making everyone laugh, and putting up with staff on Sunday mornings when all you wanted to really do was go home and sleep. You time and time again opened your literal doors to staff and helped make us into a family.
Jacob: I miss being able to bounce down to the first floor to give you a hug, because you give good hugs. You’re one of the smartest folks to ever walk through the townhouse doors and one of the most eloquent writers I’ve ever met. If there’s one college class I’d want to take in the future, it’d be whatever one you’re teaching. Move back to the east coast.
Nick Ong, Cam and Sean : My single greatest Hatchet memory is our road trip for the NCAA and joking about the hammer. I never had more fun than being on the road with the crew. There was nothing better than shooting the shit on the sidelines with you, Cam. And thank you, Nick and Sean, for letting me invade your first floor enclave to yell about sports. You guys always kept me humble. J Solo, thanks for helping to fill that sports void with our trips to The Tuck.
Chloe : I used to always joke I was always a bit afraid of you, but I was afraid of you because you are so damn good at what you do. Thank you for building up our news team to what it is. Nick Rice , you’re genuinely the coolest fucking dude I’ve ever met. I aspire to that.
Mel : On more than one occasion, you’ve saved me from being a total absolute wreck. Thank you for helping me make sure my shoes match my belt and making sure that I can pass off being a real adult to the outside world, both physically and mentally. I’m still not sorry for all the mean things I’ve said about your only true love, Tom Brady.
CNN’s Jeremy Diamond : There is not a person on the face of this planet who got more shit from me than you did, and probably not a person who gave more back to me. Thanks for always going beyond the headlines to bring us the story behind the story, and for busting your ass to get where you got to today. No one deserves it more. Once you’re finally off the trail, you owe me that drink.
RJK : When I joined staff, I was scared – scared that I wouldn’t fit in with everyone else, scared that nobody else would like me and scared that I wouldn’t last. And then I met you. You were the first person on staff to be my friend, and I’ll never forget the first Hatchet prom with us awkwardly huddling in some backyard not knowing anyone. You’re the most badass, kickass woman I’ve ever met, and I’m truly happy you’re in my life. Some of my favorite Hatchet memories here are the little things with you - just watching a ballgame or splitting mozzies from Gallery. Last year, you said you adore me - but RJK, the truth is I adore YOU.
Ferris : You’re an asshole and a half, but… you’ve also been one of the best parts about The Hatchet for me. You dragged me kicking and screaming out of my shell and into life in D.C. If it was up to me, I’d be curled up inside for my entire life and you don’t let that happen. And even though you give me a hard time, you’re always there with help with whatever I need. I don’t say it enough, but thank you Ferris. For everything.
Volume 113 : I’m taking a bit of a cop out here, because there’s so many of you I don’t know all too well. That fills me with great pride - to know that there’s plenty of smart, dedicated folks still willing to give up their time to help make this institution shine. Nathan and the rest of the crew, I can’t wait to see what you guys do next year.
And a special shout out to you, Sam Hardgrove. I was crushed when you went abroad, because people like you are the heartbeat of this institution - dedicated and talented sure, but also a great friend. I hope Volume 113 will fully appreciate how lucky they are that they get to spend their time with you.
Melissa S : It was a crushing blow to find out you were a Yankees fan, but I’m glad we’ve moved past it. The second floor is quite literally a zoo, but every time I walked in you were the calm in the middle of the hurricane. The Hatchet needs more people like you who have the patience and poise to not only catch everyone’s dumb mistakes, but to fix them as well.
Grace K : One of the first things you ever said to me was pointing out how loudly I chew gum (which is a totally valid complaint). I’ve tried to chew more quietly, and as a reward I’ve gotten to know you. Thanks for letting me take up some of your space on the third floor, and for all the incredible stories I can live vicariously through. I was a bit shocked that someone on staff out-Disneyed me, but you’ve managed it. Please stop stealing my stuff and poking me.
Victoria, Grace and Regina : You guys were all put in unenviable positions of running sections with little notice, and you’ve all handled it like stars. Grace and Regina, I hope you guys keep trying new things to make the section your own, and Victoria I hope you tweet your heart out. Let every snow day be your prime.
Avery and Andrew : I’ve only gotten to know the pair of you this semester, but you two have been rockstars. Avery, you crack me up with your random asides, and I’ve never seen someone become so good at their job so quickly. Andrew, you come on staff in some of the hardest circumstances - replacing an editor in the middle of the semester. Your talent as a reporter has shown this last couple of weeks. Unlike the weird lady at the Nats game, you can always sit next to me.
Katie : Your dedication has been unmatched. Thank you for always being the first one at breaking news and the last one to leave and for running away with my hat.
Ryan : I’ve caught myself saying “aw man, I miss Ryan” a lot of times this semester. Your quippy jokes in the townhouse always made me laugh, and you can grow a hell of a beard. I’m so excited for Volume 113 that you’re coming back next year, because a bit of everything was missing without you in the townhouse.
Melissa H : No one else understands or cares about my rants about bagels or pizza, and even though I tease you about your boyfriend (hi Gary!), you still let me hang around. I was worried that when there was another Long Islander on staff, I wouldn’t get along with them. That was until I met you, because you’re one of the nicest folks I’ve had the pleasure of working with here. You’re better than awesome, and I can’t wait to see what you do with your section next year.
Tyler : The thing I admire most about you is your pure dedication to the institution. In less than a year, you’ve worn so many hats - and have excelled at all of them. If we actually lost you in the metro, The Hatchet would be lost as well. I’m also happy to see you’re already carrying one very important part of my job forward - making fun of everyone else.
Eva : I don’t know why, but the moment I caught you falling off that stool at the party, I knew you’d start catching everyone else. You’re one of the rocks that the Hatchet has - that no matter what your title is, you’re there to catch everyone else when they’re about to fall. Thank you for doing that, and for weathering the storm that was last year’s playoffs. Melton , I think the only thing you want to hear from me is a simple thing - let’s go Mets. Can’t wait for this year’s World Series parade.
Dez : Thank you for always being my biggest fan in the stands during basketball games. This year, as I moved off the court and up into the crowd, I’m glad I always had a friend I could watch the games with. I remember butting into all those photo meetings in 2140 G, and you made it a point to help me feel included. Thank you for showing me that everyone from Philly isn’t someone who throws batteries at Santa - a select few of you are awesome people. I’m so excited for you for Columbia next year.
Robin : I’ve never met someone so full of life as you - and someone who lets everyone know it. If I could have half as much fun in life as you did just a karaoke, it’d be a great one. And while I encourage you to give up your residency in the townhouse, I’m glad I can always wander in and find a friend at any hour of the day.
Video squad : Out of all the sections, you guys have had to put up with me the most because I could never really let go. I know that wasn’t particularly easy, so thank you for humoring me this year. Blair , you’re one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. A lot was dropped on your plate at the beginning of the year, and you’ve handled it with grace. I’m so proud that you’ve made your mark both on The Hatchet and in outlets around the city. Deepa , one of the best things I did for video was steal you away from the photo department. Thank you for bringing a new set of eyes to everything on The Hatchet and helping push video to do bigger and grander projects. Halley , your constant cheeriness has never failed to brighten up my day. Just being around you always put a smile on my face. Jake , we’re not there yet, but maybe someday you’ll earn the honor of watching pay-per-view wrestling with me. You’re going to be such a champ next year.
And Sarah - remember when I dragged you onto the paper? Even before you started here, I knew you’d be infinitely more talented than I’d ever be. There’s been nothing better than having a friend on staff who I knew outside of this crazy place first to tell me when I’m getting too ridiculous and remind me to see the outside world. Thank you for loaning out Andrew so I had someone to harass in class and for keeping me grounded.
Lillianna : There’s a lot of secrets you’ll never get out of me, and that’s going to drive you crazy forever. But one secret I will let you in on - I do wander into the townhouse to make sure the lights get turned off, but I also do that to spend time with you. You’re a good reporter and an even better person who never fails to make me laugh. I’m sorry it took me a bit to get to know you outside of the L&L Connection - but I’m so glad I did, because you might just be one of my favorites here (but I’ll never admit it).
Jeanine : One day, I want to be as half as cool as you. But until that day, I’ll just have to spend my time admiring you instead. Everything you’ve put your mind to, you’ve knocked out of the park. No matter the craziness that’s going on at some party, you’re always there to try to get me to loosen up and have some fun. I will never be an exciting man, but I get a lot closer to being one by just knowing you.
Brandon : My one true friend, Brandon Lee. If you asked me if I ever wanted to be on a watchlist, I’d say no. But after meeting you, it is one small trade-off that I’m willing to make if it means keeping you around. Your intelligence is matched only by your enthusiasm for libertarianism, and that’s quite alright. Even if it means dragging you out of Sign of the Whale every once and awhile, you’re one true friend I’m always glad I’ll have.
Dan : I thought there was only enough room for one grump on staff, but you proved me wrong. You’re one of the most talented shooters I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with, but more importantly, you’re one of the most kindhearted folks I’ve met. I’m glad you’re going to carry my mantle as Hatchet staffer who acts like a 43-year-old on the verge of retirement.
Mark : Big Mark! Thank you for putting up with all my crappy jokes and my dumb hugs. Watching you grow into the absolute phenomenal writer you are today has been awesome. Getting to meet people like you are what made The Hatchet worth it to me. One day, I hope to earn a “savage” from you - but until then, I’m glad you are my buddy.
Jax : I’m so, so, so, so proud of you. I don’t ever say that enough, but I really am. Watching you transform from some dope I suckered into joining the multimedia section into such a strong journalist has been one of my proudest moments here. You’ve handled such a stressful job here and the paper would be nowhere without you. Thank you for taking my jokes well, and thank you for making me proud.
Ellie : The paper couldn’t be in better hands than yours next year. Being in charge is never easy - but I already know you’re going to do phenomenally. In the less than two years you’ve been on staff, you have already helped transform your team and the organization as a whole. My only regret from working with you is that I never met your dog, because in everything else you’ve done, there can be nothing to regret.
Sam LaFrance : I’ve been spoiled with a lot of things at The Hatchet - but the thing that’s spoiled me the most is you, because if you’re the mortal enemy I’m going to have in this world, it is going to be a pretty easy life. You took on so much more than you signed up for here, and most of that involves dealing with me. Every time I hear a One Direction song I can’t help but smile, because I know somewhere, you’re laughing at my discomfort. I don’t think I want to be a sack of skin or a skeleton, but if that’s a decision I had to make to keep you around, I’d make it 10/10 times.
Bluge : One of our first real conversations was me making fun of you’re selfie face, so we had nowhere to go but up. I’m glad you let me burst your little ops bubble you had on the third floor, because I came to realize how much I admire you. There’s nothing easy about being the opinions editor, because you have to let everyone know how it really is. I can only dream of being as smart, poised and confident as you are, and I can’t think of a better way than to close out my time at The Hatchet with you at Hatchet Prom.
Nora : I said it during my hotseat, but you really do light up my world. There’s been countless number of days that I’m down and out, but just being you around you turns that all around. I’m glad me driving you off a tiny ledge didn’t drive a wedge in our friendship, but only gave you fodder to make fun of me. I’ve also been incredibly proud to work alongside you on the court. I’ll be hard-pressed to ever work with someone as fearless and as smart as you ever again.
RSG : Thank you for always being there for me. Through my highs and lows, you were always there when I needed to spill my heart out about something dumb on the long walk back from some party. You are simply an incredible person I’ve been blessed to know, and there has never been another person on this staff who has shown me as much genuine kindness as you have. Live that slug live forever.
Colleen : Well it looks like we made it, huh? Thank you for letting me take this wild adventure with you. You said that I’ve always been there for you, but it’s really been the other way around - you’ve always been there for me. I’m loud, whiny and angry a lot of the time, but you still put up with all my quirks and let me help you build the institution I love. From the day we joined staff, I knew you would be the one running the show one day because I knew you’d be the best at it - and I am so incredibly happy to say that I was so right. I’m convinced that nobody could’ve handled everything that happened this year - nobody but you. I’m so happy I have a lifelong friend as we both get ready for the next steps in our lives.
Bri : There’s no way in hell that I forgot about you, right? I have written and deleted what I wanted to write to you about 15 times now because I just don’t know what to say. Truly, I can’t write anything here that fits, because there isn’t enough words on this planet to sum up what you mean to me. The Hatchet has given me a lot of important things for sure. But by far, the absolute most important thing it has given me is you. You’re my best friend, and everything else The Hatchet has given me doesn’t even come close to adding up to a day with you. The best memories on The Hatchet that I have isn’t a particular one, because it is just about every single second I’ve spent with you. Whether it’s carrying you down a boardwalk in Ocean City or curling up and watching Game of Thrones with you, there’s not a moment that goes by that I would ever take back. Not a day that goes by where I don’t think about how lucky I am to have you in my life, and I don’t want to imagine it any other way.

Rachel Smilan-Goldstein: A place to call home
“Media Credit: Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor
In the spring of 2013, I got a disappointing phone call. It was The Hatchet’s editor in chief, Cory, who told me I didn’t make the cut to be a copy editor. This was my second failed bid to become an editor.
He gave words of encouragement I didn’t want to hear; perhaps The Hatchet and I were not meant to be.
The summer passed, then I got an email. Someone left unexpectedly and they were scrambling to find another copy editor. Fearing more rejection, I reluctantly agreed to another interview. I got the job and stuck around. Thank god.
Although we got off to a rocky start, The Hatchet quickly became the constant in my life. It gave me stability, a place to call home, when my childhood home became uncertain territory. It gave me purpose when I was otherwise lost. It gave me a loyal group of friends as people walked in and out of my life.
The friends I met between two those townhouses taught me how to raise my voice and come out of my shell – not to mention the AP style skills.
I can only hope that in during my time here I helped others find the same.
Cheers to the next 112 years.
Media Credit: Desiree Halpern | Photo Editor
Karolina: You were my first editor, so you’re also the first person I need to thank for bringing me into this beautiful mess. Thanks for telling me I was a good writer my freshman year; Thanks for giving me a reason to go to the townhouse.
Cory + Ferris: Thank you for teaching me everything I know about news judgment, and for pointing my confused sophomore self in the right direction.
Robin: Thanks for teaching me AP Style, nerding out with me at every step along the way and making me feel included at my very first Hatchet parties. You will always be my second cool feminist mom.
Bri: Thanks for giving me room to make the copy desk my own last year. Your trust let me grow as an editor and become a more vocal member of staff – things that will serve me far into the future. I miss reading pages over your shoulder and sending out email editions with you, despite the madness.
Justin: It meant a lot to me when you invited me to join the editorial board during one of my first weeks on staff. I’m sorry I was silent for about a semester. Hatchet parties were more fun with you holding a bottle of wine, and “Blow” will always be our song.
Jenna: You were one of the first people I met at The Hatchet. You showed me around during an open house, made me feel welcome and wrote your email on a sticky note. I’m glad I went that day. I will never forget your chair-dancing moves, hot seat questions or how sweetly you tucked me in on your futon one night.
Gabe: Thank you for pushing me to go big with the fall conference, even though I was hesitant. It was one of the most rewarding challenges I had at The Hatchet.
Eva: The job you took on this semester is a hard one, particularly because it is entirely what you make of it. I was glad to be handing it over to you – someone who cares about this paper and its people as if they were her own flesh and blood. Your eyebrow game is strong, but you are even stronger.
Jacqueline: In the townhouse, it is hard to miss you; in the outside world it is very easy. In my mind, your laughter (and yells) will always fill the second floor, even long after you’ve graduated. What I’m trying to say is, working with you and getting to know you last semester was a treat.
Jeanine: I will always be in awe of your ability to weather a storm, lead gracefully with little preparation and embrace life with an openness I wish I had. That week we lived together was great. I also wish that I was even an ounce as cool as you.
Ellie: I’m having trouble pinpointing precisely when I first realized you were a queen, but it must have been very soon after you came onto staff. Your dedication to getting the story and getting it right will take you far; your midwestern kindness will take you farther. Knock ‘em dead.
Brandon: When I realized I had hired an outspoken libertarian, I was nervous to say the least. But our shared love of grammar and style rules united us more than I could have imagined. I admire your wit, cartooning skills and eagerness to take in new viewpoints. And don’t worry, there’s still time for our copy-family prom tradition.
Desiree: You were the best summer roommate a girl could ask for. You are the panda robe to my owl robe, you are the Tina Fey to my Liz Lemon. Let’s drink an Old Spanish sometime.
Bluge: I knew you as a byline and nickname before I knew you as a person. Luckily, all three versions of you are incredible. You are one of the most genuine and thoughtful people I know. As always, stay beautiful.
Sam: After our fruitless summer of pre-freshman-year-roommate-searching ended, you moved to the Vern and I moved into Madison. I wondered if I’d ever meet you, or any of my other “friends” from the Class of 2016 group. Months later, I saw your name on an email list for Professor Gross’ book group. You didn’t show.
But then, one fateful day in Square 80, you recognized me and waved even though we had never actually met. Pretty soon we were taking classes together, and eventually working three jobs together. Thanks for being my friend, even though it took you a while. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: There’s no one with whom I’d rather do content analysis.
Zach: You are the annoying brother I never asked for, but was lucky enough to get. I’m very proud of the journalist you’ve become over the years. Thanks for taking care of us all and for always walking me home.
Colleen: As many people have already written, it was easy to see our sophomore year that you’d soon become editor in chief. What wasn’t immediately apparent was how great our friendship would become. You are one of the smartest, most talented and dedicated people I have met in college, and you are also among the most warm and caring. We were all lucky to have you as a leader. I am #blessed to count you among my closest friends.
To the friends I made along the way: Editorships come and go, but the memories are forever, right? Here’s to impromptu lipsyncing, the sports den, the wasp’s nest on our roof, shoulder massages, holding endorsement hearings during a snowstorm and doodling contests.
Mia + Polly: Our friendships have been two of the best constants in my life over the past few years. Thanks for always responding to my dumb texts even when you’re across the country or ocean. Thanks for inspiring me, encouraging me, caring for me and sharing your love. There’s no one with whom I’d rather explore this world.
Mom + Jordan: Thank you for the unwavering support and unconditional love. I love our little family. For you, I’d lasso the moon.

Colonials clinch road series over Dayton with 6–2 win
Apr 25, 2016
“Media Credit: Hatchet File Photo by Zach Montellaro | Senior Staff Photographer
Sophomore Brady Renner gets ready to throw a pitch against George Mason earlier this month. Renner got the win on Sunday, allowing only one run in four innings.
Two weeks ago, it seemed baseball had hit a wall: The team’s starting shortstop, junior Kevin Mahala, was stuck as a designated hitter working through a hip flexor injury, and GW’s most dominant hitter this season, sophomore Mark Osis, was out recovering from a pulled hamstring.
Now, after taking a series they desperately needed to stay atop the Atlantic 10, the Colonials are poised to make a run at the league crown next month.
On Sunday, GW’s offense was the spark plug lifting the Colonials to a 6–2 victory. Though head coach Gregg Ritchie got a little help from everyone on the team, it was juniors Eric Ramsey and Joey Bartosic in particular that put GW in position to do some damage.
“It was a must-win. We had to have it,” Ritchie said. “In the third inning, all of our guys came up big. Ramsey, in particular, was huge coming up with the triple to push the lead to 6-0.”
The Colonials (19-23, 8-4 A-10) broke it open in the third inning as Osis kicked things off with an RBI single. Though Osis has not shown much power, he has been a singles machine for Ritchie’s ball club, adding three hits in Friday night’s 4–2 win in game one.
Mahala, who leads GW with 37 RBIs, hit a sacrifice fly with the bases loaded, and junior Bobby Campbell plated another to put the Colonials up 4–0.
Fresh off of an A-10 Player of the Week nod, Campbell has been pivotal for the Colonials by keeping GW’s offense on pace with Mahala and Osis limited by injuries. In A-10 contests, Campbell owns a team-leading on-base percentage (.524), batting average (.390) and RBI total (12).
After the Flyers (14-27, 5-10 A-10) made a pitching change, Ramsey laced a double to the right-center gap, pushing two more runs across to put the Colonials up 6–0 in the top of the third.
Bartosic, who contributed an RBI in the six-run inning, went an impressive 4-for-5 at the plate Sunday to lead his team offensively.
On the mound, GW got four strong innings out of sophomore starter Brady Renner, who had a tough outing the previous weekend against George Mason.
Renner ran into trouble in the second inning but was able to strike out Dayton’s nine-hitter with the bases loaded. In the fifth inning, senior Jacob Williams came in to maintain the lead. Dayton, a young team still finding its mojo in league play, managed 10 hits against GW's pitching but only mustered two runs.
“The amount of energy our guys had was utterly extreme,” he also said. “It was so loud in the dugout that I had to get in the ear of my assistants so that I could hear them. Our guys really want to win.”
Game 1:GW 4, Dayton 2
In game one, senior Bobby Lewarne again proved why he’s the ace on the pitching staff, allowing just three hits across eight dominant innings to lead GW to a 4–2 win.
The Des Moines, Iowa native has been stellar all season. With a 6-2 overall record, Lewarne has posted a team-low 2.80 ERA and earned an A-10 Player of the Week honor in March. On Friday, Lewarne struck out a season-high seven batters and only allowed one walk and zero earned runs.
The Colonials got on the board in the top of the second inning after sophomore Robbie Metz scored on an RBI single by sophomore Brandon Chapman.
The offense provided Lewarne with an even greater cushion in the third, extending the lead to 3–0. Bartosic led off with a double in the gap, and after a single by Osis, Campbell and Mahala drove in both runners with RBI groundouts. Campbell picked up his second RBI of the day in the fifth to put GW out in front 4–0.
Ritchie sent Lewarne out in the ninth to go for the complete game, but after allowing the first two Dayton batters to reach base, he handed the ball off to junior closer Eddie Muhl.
After one more Dayton run made it 4–2, Muhl got the final out on a comebacker to the mound to clinch the win for GW and earn his 10th save of the season.
Game 2: Dayton 2, GW 1
Junior starter Shane Sweeney was solid all day Saturday but was on the hook after allowing two runs over seven innings.
GW rallied to knot the score at one in the top of eighth on an RBI single by Bartosic. The Colonials threatened to take the lead with two runners on base but could not convert. In the bottom of the frame, Sweeney was replaced after allowing a leadoff single, and Dayton was able to pull ahead 2–1 with a pair of two-out hits off of senior Luke Olson.
The Colonials went down 1-2-3 to end the game.
Baseball, now in a four-way tie for second place in the conference, travels to James Madison (17-23) on Wednesday before its pivotal three-game set against A-10 rival VCU, which boasts a league-leading 27-14 overall record (10–5 A-10).
“Our goal is take it one game at a time,” Ritchie said. “We have to figure out how to keep winning this series, and we will be in good position when it’s all said and done.””

Importance
Staff editorial:It's time GW finds its footing in online learning
Apr 25, 2016
“There’s a change in tide for higher education. The way students learn isn’t always in conventional, face-to-face classrooms anymore: More students are taking classes online, especially graduate students.
Online learning will probably expand more at GW in a few short years. This fall, GW will reach 99.8 percent of its enrollment capacity. Because this capacity – 16,553 full-time students on campus – was determined as a part of the University’s 20-year agreement with D.C., the school can’t just build another residence hall. To continue enrolling more students and making more money from tuition, the University will need to move more of its programs online.
Media Credit: Cartoon by Lauren Roll
But GW is still finding its stride in online education. Recently, a group of graduate students sued the University over the quality of one of its graduate program in the College of Professional Studies. And GW no longer has a chief director of its online program. Instead, the University consolidated online education and teaching and learning offices into one, and assigned the academics technology to take over GW's eDesign shop.
While it’s good that officials have begun to think about what online learning will be like in the future, GW needs to make sure these changes are consistent with providing high quality education. Online learning is going to take over higher education no matter what, so it’s best for officials to invest in its future now and design standardized, centralized programs before the University misses its chance to be a frontrunner in online learning.
GW is already internship-focused allowing students to easily both work and take classes, and GW's schools market their graduate programs to students who work full time. Officials should take the time to strengthen the University's online programs because online learning is profitable in a model they already follow.
Maralee Csellar, a University spokeswoman, said GW’s online degree and certificate programs are projected to gross almost $70 million in revenue by the end of the 2016 fiscal year: That’s enough money to cover room and board costs for the entire enrolled Class of 2020.
Paul Schiff Berman, former vice provost for online learning and academic innovation, helped the University grow its online programs massively: He oversaw the creation of GW's eDesign shop, and off-campus enrollment increased by a net of 1,000 students in five years. It’s important that GW doesn’t lose momentum because of shifts in leadership.
Even though online education has taken off over the past few years, online programs are still in their infancy – no one really knows what they’ll look like in 20 years, or even if students learn as effectively as they do in person. But there are ways for GW to get ahead of other universities in online education by setting high standards for online courses.
Amy Eisman, the director of media entrepreneurship and special programs at American University, said that while professors and officials at universities are still working out the kinks in different formats for online learning – like MOOCs and flipped classrooms – they also need to weigh the different needs of students, educators and administrators when switching to online class formats.
“The programs that survive will have deep learning and deep value for students seeking contemporary ways to access education,” Eisman said in an email.
An online graduate degree, or even just one online course, must have comparable quality to the classroom learning experience. Officials should want any course that has a GW stamp on it to be challenging and well-planned. From a simple marketing perspective, the more organized courses look, the more students will register for them.
Right now there is no standardization across programs. Some professors create their programs using GW’s eDesign shop, while other programs are outsourced to business vendors like 2U . Schools like the University of California, Berkeley and the University of North Carolina only use 2U to create their online programs.
However, improving online learning at GW will mean more than just focusing on immediate needs. The University will also need to make a financial commitment to online education.
Investing in online education means taking a financial hit to devote resources to developing programs. But for at least the immediate future, it makes more sense to take the hit and outsource designing programs so that each program can equitably teach students. Students in different programs should have the same digital abilities to connect with professors and to access class material. Because programs are now being created by different technology centers, there’s no way of knowing if some students are being taught by powerpoint slides or by Skype sessions.
And with no clear mission for what online courses will become at GW and a lack of visible stability under one leader, we can’t feel confident in the programs we offer. Geneva Henry, the dean of libraries and academic innovation, was appointed to centralize the programs. However, online learning isn’t the only thing she handles. She also oversees library services and collections.
Henry said that officials are building “administrative infrastructure” to make online classes successful and compliant with legal and policy requirements.
“We are working closely with the schools to help them prioritize their most immediate needs while also learning from partners across campus about how we can continue to improve and expand online education at GW,” Henry wrote in an email.
Charles Garris, executive chair of the Faculty Senate, said the faculty needs to be involved in creating online programs. Professors will be better able to create and teach high quality programs once they know how they are instituted across schools and if they have guidelines on what online courses should include.
“One thing that people are concerned about is that because these programs are good revenue drivers, we want to make sure that the quest for additional revenue streams doesn’t overwhelm the rigor of our education,” Garris said.
Rather than try to reinvent the online learning wheel with a decentralized structure, GW should focus on a structure that has proven results. It makes more sense for GW to focus on course design and implementation, rather than to scramble creating more administrative positions.
The editorial board is composed of Hatchet staff members and operates separately from the newsroom. This week’s piece was written by opinions editor Sarah Blugis and contributing opinions editor Melissa Holzberg, based on discussions with sports editor Nora Princiotti, design editor Samantha LaFrance, copy editor Brandon Lee, assistant sports editor Mark Eisenhauer, managing director Eva Palmer, culture editor Grace Gannon and research assistant Tyler Loveless.”

Importance
As golf's lone freshman, Lowe shines in rookie campaign
“Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Freshman Logan Lowe, who paces GW golf with an average score of 73.13 in his rookie season, will play a big role for the Colonials at this weekend's A-10 Championship held in Orlando, Fla.
Last summer GW lost one of its most talented golfers.
In his senior season, Jack Persons had five top-10 finishes, matched the team’s lowest 54-hole score in the Atlantic 10 Championship and ended his career with a combined 75.35 scoring average – the sixth-lowest in program history.
But this season, one prolific Colonial has already begun to fill the graduate’s sizable shoes – GW’s lone rookie, 18-year-old Logan Lowe.
Last week, the freshman phenom led the Colonials at the El Macero Classic with an even-par 72 to finish in a tie for 29th place.
“It has been great to see [Lowe] start to really shine this semester and break out,” head coach Chuck Scheinost said. “I think it’s just the tip of the iceberg. He can be so much better than where he is at right now.”
It’s something Lowe has been doing all year. In his first collegiate campaign, he has paced GW with a team-high average score of 73.13 and has already picked up four A-10 Rookie of the Week awards.
At the Rutgers Invitational back in September, his first ever collegiate competition, Lowe closed with a 5-under-par 66 to equal the lowest 18-hole score in program history.
“I was definitely a little nervous for my first time at a college event,” Lowe said. “[If] guys are bigger, they hit it further, but [the nerves] were actually gone after the first day. I tied the school record so that was huge for me. I figured out early in my career that I can actually do this.”
But his success should come as no surprise. The self-described “golf addict” has had a deep passion for the sport all his life.
He started swinging clubs at age four with his father, and by 17, Lowe had reached the Round of 16 of the U.S. Junior Amateur Championship. Lowe even appeared on the Golf Channel alongside pro Jeff Sluman and played rounds with PGA tour members Esteban Toledo and Joe Durant.
“Honestly I liked team sports, and I loved the atmosphere, but when it came to baseball and basketball, I wanted to play every position and I just couldn’t,” Lowe said. “In golf, I kind of had the opportunity to be my own boss. It was also harder, and I liked that. It’s just more of a mind game, which is more fun to me.”
In addition to outstanding performances on the green, the business administration major also excels in the classroom.
At Nevada Union High School, where he also earned back-to-back Sierra Foothill League MVP honors, Lowe graduated as valedictorian of his class.
“My parents always put education first for me,” Lowe said. “The incentive was that I had to get good grades in order to keep playing golf. Not taking my car or phone, the golf clubs went first.”
Scheinost, who first met a 9-year-old Lowe at a golf camp, said he kept in touch with the standout athlete throughout his career. When Lowe’s top-choice college didn’t pan out, Scheinost’s offer to GW was an easy sell.
The head coach knows Lowe has big dreams and big potential.
“He is such a great kid in that when he puts his mind to things he finds a way of achieving those,” Schenost said. “His ultimate goal is to make it on tour, and I think he has the skillset to do that. I think he knows he has a long way to get to that point, but it is a process. It is not going to happen overnight.”
While Lowe has his sights set on going pro and perfecting his individual game, he said his team’s goal of winning the A-10 tournament and playing in the NCAA championship comes first.
Scheinost described his current squad as one of the closest knit groups he’s seen in his 11 years of coaching.
“I love the guys here,” Lowe said. “I don’t like to put myself in front of my teammates. They are all part of my success as much as I am.”
Lowe and the Colonials travel to Orlando, Fla. this Friday to compete in the 2016 A-10 Championships, where Scheinost hopes the freshman can finally claim his first top-place finish.
“For [Lowe], I think it is about getting over that hump of winning his first event,” Scheinost said. “He was right there multiple times this year, and I think once he gets over that hump, which will hopefully be next week at the A-10s, that’s when he will really explode.”
Matt Cullen contributed reporting.”

Colleen Murphy: Rowing my own boat
Apr 24, 2016
“Media Credit: Courtesy of Samuel Klein
When I found myself with too much time on my hands as a freshman, I applied for a cashier job at Whole Foods.
A bout of mono kept me from taking the job, and four years later, I’m pretty sure that turned out for the best. Once I recovered, I turned to The Hatchet to fill my free time (and get me off the Vern). But reporting occasional stories about crotchety neighbors and the University Police Department wasn’t enough – I wanted more.
When Cory and Ferris hired me in the spring of my freshman year, suddenly I was folded into a zany, brilliant group of people who made each other cry laughing, told wild stories from their weekend escapades and spun in circles in broken office chairs through the first floor of 2140 G St. And before too long, I started to make my own memories there too.
I still remember when Justin and Jenna gathered groups of freshmen staffers to shepherd us to parties, when Priya applauded my first front-page story at an all-staff meeting, when Frank Ocean’s Forrest Gump could make us all burst into song and when I made up excuses to work late in Cory’s office.
But as I look back on my time at The Hatchet, not all of the memories are happy ones. And when you combine the responsibility of each of our jobs with the expectations of our predecessors, sometimes the pressure can feel nearly crushing.
Being editor in chief this year tested my mettle on a weekly basis, and I dealt with challenges that I could have never expected. But the hardest part was never the relentless deadlines, nearly constant editing or occasional staff mayhem. The hardest part was accepting that there are so many parts of The Hatchet that I cannot control.
I learned early on I could not force my editors to always meet deadline or line edit to my exacting standards. I could not conjure a $2 million naming gift out of thin air for our townhouse. I could not save print journalism.
So whenever things seemed impossible, I leaned on the biggest lesson I’ve learned over the past four years at The Hatchet: I can’t control everything, so I must row my own boat.
And each time I questioned whether I could do it – whether I could stand to edit another story, respond to another email, hear another staffer say they were overworked or sit through another Board of Directors meeting – I realized I didn’t really have a choice.
I kept rowing because I didn’t want to fail. I kept rowing because I had already come this far. I kept rowing because a thriving independent paper is essential to hold GW accountable. I kept rowing because my staff was counting on me.
Last spring, I watched my closest Hatchet friends graduate. And even though at times it felt like I had been left behind, I realized I had an important job to do: show a new generation of Hatchet staffers how to row their own boats and withstand even the most forceful deluge.
My four years at The Hatchet have taught me that I’m more resilient and nimble than I realized and that all problems can be solved in time. Most of all, I’ve learned that the people here are what matters at the end of the day. It’s hard to sum up what my friends on The Hatchet mean to me. But like with everything else on this newspaper, all I can do is give it my best shot.
Media Credit: Courtesy of Samuel Klein
Vol. 112: My biggest fear when I got this job was that I would become an island, constantly staring at a Google Doc. But instead of feeling alone, I’ve become better friends with all of you and we’ve made wild memories together. Thank you for picking me, putting up with my staff meeting assignments and fundraising pitches and begrudgingly joining me in human pyramids. I love you all equally, like every good mother should.
Vol. 113: Watching you dive into your roles this spring has been inspiring and invigorating. You will all shine next year, like you have already. I hope your time at The Hatchet challenges you, drives you and brings you joy. It’s a lot of work, but I promise it’s worth it.
CoRY and Ferris: Everything I know about journalism, I learned from watching both of you. I hope I’ve made you proud. CoRY: Many graduating seniors have written about your prowess as an editor, your endless enthusiasm driving them ever forward. Of course, that is true for me too. But I’ve valued your friendship most of all. Thank you for going to concerts with me when I was a sophomore and putting in the time to edit my heinous reviews of said concerts. If you ever decide to follow Professor Shanahan’s advice and marry me, I’d probably say yes. Ferris: I pitch stories to news editors like you used to: a long string of nouns and a flurry of sources to contact. Working with you shaped me as a journalist, and watching you manage the news team prepared me for this job. Thank you for at least pretending to listen when I pitched a story about motherhood rooms.
Gabe and Lyndsey: We never crossed paths during our years on The Hatchet, but you have both had a tremendous impact on me this year. The relationship between Hatchet alumni and the current editor in chief can be fraught, but you are both unfailingly generous and compassionate. Gabe: I am so thankful to have worked with you on the Board this year. No matter how bad things got and no matter how many meetings or calls we sat through, your energy helped me remember I was never in it alone. Lyndsey: You spent hours talking me through my job search and your guidance was invaluable. Thank you for always making time for me. I won’t bring business cards to pass out, but I hope you do still have that party.
Jenna: You always reminded me that The Hatchet is, at its core, supposed to be fun. Your lighthearted spirit made you an indispensable member of staff, and I’ve missed you the last two years. Your legacy is hard to live up to, but I’ve tried to carry on your wildest Hot Seat questions. Thanks for giving me that design test as a freshman.
Justin: No matter what, I will always be thankful for your friendship. You made GW feel like home for me, and I have never felt cooler than when you invited me to hang out with you and Jenna during my sophomore year. From spending late nights in Gelman Library, dressing up as Greek life members and eating copious amounts of Stoney’s sandwiches, you made everything fun.
Robin: I still remember meeting you at that first Vol. 111 potluck, and I always hoped we would be friends. I don’t really remember when that happened – sometime after you lent me that digital media book – but I’m happy it did. You’re incredibly compassionate, and you always felt more like a sister than a roommate or coworker. I learned a lot from being your friend. I’ve missed you this year.
Mel: I would never have made it through my first semester as a news editor (or through medieval Spanish literature) without you in the trenches with me. You always kept me full of snacks, caffeine and the latest gossip. Remember when you hated me last year? I’m glad you got over it just in time to graduate. I hope some day we can be coworkers for a third time.
Chloé: You probably won’t read this, but if you do: I would have gone crazy last year without our walks after nearly every staff meeting. Even though I was terrified when you brought me a massive binder of financial documents two years ago, I hope I took good care of the beats you knew so well. My favorite stories from last year were always the result of the time we’d spend riffing in Google Docs and writing headlines in all caps. I hope our paths cross on a racquetball court again some time.
Brianna: When you were editor in chief, you always made me feel like you cared about me more than you cared about my content, which is a perspective I appreciated and tried to emulate this year. I’m glad I was always the only one who reliably went to your office hours as a freshman – you welcomed me into The Hatchet and made me feel so cool. I will interview pajama-clad, scandal-ridden hotdog vendors with you anytime, anywhere.
Avery: I feel really lucky to have been your editor on two separate occasions. This spring, you energized our news team and jumped right into your job with so much poise, it felt like you had been doing it for years. You’re also one of the funniest people on staff, which is a quality that is always needed. Make sure the news team stays weird and fun next year.
Andrew: You’re probably the best writer I’ve seen in my time on The Hatchet, and that’s really saying something. You have written so many complicated, meaningful stories in your short time on staff. I can’t wait to see everything you accomplish next year.
Robin E.: I don’t think I have a single group photo from a party this year that doesn’t feature you peeking over someone’s shoulder or sorority squatting in the front row. That’s how I’ll always remember you on The Hatchet: eager to be right in the thick of things. It’s been so exciting to watch you grow this year. Keep sourcing UPD officers and get some sleep (outside of the newsroom) next year. And yes, I’ll always respond to your text messages.
Lillianna: Remember when I told you I’d hunt you down if you wrote “best practices” in a story again? That threat still remains. You tackled some of the most confusing beats this year and wrote some of the most interesting stories along the way. And no matter what else was going on, you always came through for us week after week – I’ll always be grateful for that.
Tyler: You took on the role of design editor without really knowing what it entailed, and you never resented me for throwing you in the deep end or adding rogue W’s to that front-page story. Through it all, you’ve been unfailingly patient: You never killed Brandon or me no matter how noisy we were while checking pages, and you must be nearly a saint now that you’ve spent the semester training with Zach. Not many people ask how they can stay involved (and really mean it) while they’re in the process of quitting, but you’re so dedicated to The Hatchet that it didn’t really surprise me. You’ll be one of the most important members of staff next year, and I know you’re ready for it.
Emily and Anna: You are creative powerhouses and it has been a joy to watch you blossom on staff this year. Thank you for making our pages more colorful every week. Take good care of Zach and Yonah (you may know him as Yonitie).
Grace K.: I didn’t expect our paths to cross again after freshman year, but I’m really glad they did. Luckily, this time it was in less of a shitty situation. When I hired you last spring, I wasn’t sure if you would be able to put up with all of our craziness, but you kept Brandon calm(ish) and your kindness and sincerity were contagious. Send me a postcard from India.
Melissa S.: You have some loud, Libertarian shoes to fill next year, but don’t worry. You’ll make your mark as copy chief in no time, just like you did this year. Thank you for never making too much fun of my caption writing.
Melissa H.: When you started leading Editorial Board meetings two weeks ago, I watched a little nervously at first, but realized right away that you were ready for the challenge. You are a ray of sunshine and you could always cheer me up, even at 9 p.m. on a Tuesday night. Watching you improve every week this year has been one of the best parts of my job. I’m already really proud of you, and I know you’re just getting started. Give ‘em hell.
To the Editorial Board: I started writing this message to you immediately after your Student Association endorsement hearings in March. I left the townhouse bursting with pride at your thoughtful analysis, careful research and unending spitfire. You are all brilliant, passionate and wildly funny. I’ll miss ed board meetings most of all.
Blair, Deepa and Halley: Thank you for all of your energy this year. I hope you push staff to think of more ambitious ways to work together next year – I know you have the creativity to make it happen. Sarah: Not many people would pick up more responsibility on top of graduate-level classes and a full-time job, but I’ve always been glad you did. It’s been a treat work with you.
Grace G.: I’ve loved watching you find your place on staff this year. From the first time I saw you tweet about Carol, Rihanna, Broad City and the Obamas with reckless abandon, I knew you would fit right in among us loud mouths. You’ll be a vital member of ed board next year, and I hope you’re never afraid to speak your mind. I think you’ll find that the more time you spend on staff, the more you trust your own convictions – at least, that was true for me.
Regina: You have great stories, a can-do attitude and a willingness to try anything once. That’s a combination that will serve you in everything you do, inside or outside of the townhouse. Thank you for going on dates for the sake of a cool culture page.
Mark: You’re better than any prom date I had in high school, and we haven’t even planned our savage/color-coordinated outfits yet. I would say it’s been fun being your editor this year, but you never really needed editing, so mostly it’s just been fun being your friend. (And getting to be friends with you was really my main goal all along). If you pass Native American history, you will owe me forever. I hope you can live with that.
Devon: You took a job nobody wanted at perhaps the worst possible time, and you’ve impressed us all with your grit and your guts. I will always be grateful to you, though I will never miss talking about accounts receivable. You’re welcome for all the times I stress cleaned the apartment. Tyler, Dayna, Andrew and Team Business: The Hatchet needs you more than you know. Keep rowing your boats.
Dan: You’re the best nephew I’ve ever had. I’ve been impressed with your talent since I first met you last year, and I can’t wait to see where you take the photo section. Thank you for putting up with Zach’s constant ribbing and for never complaining when you have to come back to tone photos. I’ll be sure to always keep a $5 bill and some oranges in my pocket just for you.
Katie: I’ve been so impressed watching you work with your photographers this year, and your energy and passion shows in their progress. Thank you for making sure we never missed breaking news. I’m sorry I mauled you at Hatchet Holiday...sort of.
Desiree: You’re one of the only staff members who also worked in 2140 G St., and it’s always reassured me that I’m not the only one who remembers the old days. Your caring spirit and boundless energy make you the ideal leader and coworker. You steered many visuals meetings off a cliff, and our best front pages were the result of your ingenuity. I can’t wait to invite myself to see you in New York next year.
Ryan: I’m really glad I never let you quit, despite the fact you asked several times. You’ve been one of the biggest parts of my Hatchet experience, and I’ve missed you so much this semester. I loved every minute of being your editor, and passing my beats on to someone who was so passionate made me feel like I had done something right. I can’t wait to see what you and Ellie accomplish next year, but know that I’m already proud of you. I’ll always be around to cook you dinner when you need it. Be safe in Paris. Love, Mom.
Victoria: Hiring you for Team Culture was probably one of the best ideas I’ve ever had. Staff hasn’t been the same without you this spring, and I know you’ll be a rockstar in your role next year. Make The Hatchet’s Twitter account fun, though I know that won’t be a problem for you. I hope you’ll still tweet at me even when I’ve graduated and am irrelevant.
Jeanine: I’ve always admired your confidence – you know who you are and you know what you want. Thank you for always pushing me to try new things, like Jell-O shots. I’m really proud of what you’ve done on The Hatchet, but I’m most proud of how you weren’t afraid to try something else when you realized your job was no longer serving you. You’re a true-blue friend and I feel really lucky to know you. I can’t wait to hang out now that we both have more time to drink beers and read books.
Eva: Even though planning staff social events may cause you to lose sleep, remember that every ounce of effort you put into this job will come back to you tenfold. You care about each member of staff so deeply, and I promise all the emails will be worth it. I’m glad you never gave up on The Hatchet.
Brandon/Ghent: You’re the most loyal farmhand a girl could ask for. We’ve come a long way since I was your editor two years ago and you wrote stories about bystander intervention. Thank you for sticking by me and always being my friend. This year, you were never afraid to take on extra work, which is a quality I always admire. Thank you for drawing last-minute cartoons, laying out pages of the paper and sending novels to ed board each week. It has been truly a joy to watch you grow up here, and I am so proud of you. I’d like to think I had a little part in your success, but I don’t think it’s true: you’ve had it coming for you all along. I wish you a lifetime of Game of Thrones episodes and white cargo shorts. Since we will be coworkers again in our post-graduate lives, this isn’t really goodbye. See you at the company picnic.
Nora: The most exciting part of taking Japanese Foreign Policy last semester was realizing you were in my class and we could be friends. I’d feel sort of lame admitting that if it wasn’t the same reason you always offered to cook me elaborate lunches last year. I have had so much fun working with you this year, which I know was really your endgame all along. You’re a kickass editor and your sheer talent motivates everyone around you. I think it’s time we actually compile our imagined list of cats that look like a certain former GW men’s basketball player. (Remember when you thought I was Evelyn Gardner?)
Sam/Pope LaFrances: Walking home with you after prodo will probably be one of the only parts of Sunday production days that I’ll actually miss. Checking pages has certainly aged us over the course of this year, but that just means you’re one step closer to your dream of being a skeleton. You’re one of the funniest, most caring people I know and I’m happy we became friends this year. Thank you for stepping up when we needed you most and never backing down when I suggested a bad idea for the front page. I promise to never tweet about fundraising again if you never tweet about (TW) Trypophobia.
Sarah: You said everything in your 30 that I had been planning to say about you. It has been an honor to be your editor this year, but it has been an even greater pleasure to be your friend. Even when we had to kill a column at 4 p.m. on a Sunday, your friendship made everything better. You left a note at nearly the top of all your drafts saying you “weren’t sure” how you felt about them, but you’re a beautiful writer and a truly gifted editor. You’ve created such nuanced content this year, and your staff editorials are among my very favorite pieces of the year. I am so proud of you. LYLAS.
Jacqueline: Remember when the townhouse wifi broke, Zach deleted the website, a homeless man stalked our townhouse, the provost resigned and then there was that classic mixup at 9 p.m. on a Sunday? I gave you the most demanding job on the newspaper this year, and I don’t remember ever asking you if you wanted to do it. I always knew you could deal with anything that came our way – or at least to send me photos of tiny puppies and ponies while I figured it out. One more time for posterity, watch this .
Zach: Zach buddy, we’ve been up shit creek so many times this year, but I wasn’t kidding when I told you that as long as you were there, I knew everything would be OK. You’re one of the most loyal people I know, and I feel so lucky to have had you by my side this year. Thank you for taking the Vex to come pat my head during CI Guide prodo, single handedly ensuring every member of staff made it home safe after parties and letting me vent at about 2 p.m. every Sunday. I can’t wait to hang out with you now that we never have to talk about The Hatchet. I promise to come visit you no matter what apartment you pick.
Rachel: Even though we almost collapsed the day of the fall conference, I wouldn’t have wanted to fight with Events & Venues over a table with anybody else. Your friendship has been the best thing to come out of this year for me, and I’m so happy that it happened after three years of circling each other in various SMPA classes. You are one of the most compassionate and generous people I know, and I feel very #blessed to be your wife. I’m excited for future Sundays spent in parks and farmer’s markets.
Ellie: I have tried and failed to write this note to you dozens of times. It’s impossible to sum up how much I enjoyed taking yoga classes with you, getting milkshakes at 10 p.m., cooking you dinner and being your editor and friend. Staff members often make fun of us because we seem like the same person, right down to the Converse and Gap v-necks. It has always been an honor to be compared to someone with your wit, intelligence and kindness. I know you’ll handle the next year with unflappable grace, just like you handle everything else. I am so, so proud of you already. Your fried rice is safe with me.
Sam: Remember when I told you to take Blair to prom two years ago? I had no idea then that we’d wind up here now, but I’m glad we’ve been a team through all of it. You always said you knew what you were getting into when I became editor in chief, but you’ve supported me through so many unexpected challenges this year that I don’t know how that could be true. You’re the biggest gift from my time at The Hatchet. It’s been a good ride so far, but I’m most excited about what’s to come for us. Let’s split a subscription to the Sunday New York Times. I love you.
Nora, Erin, Martha, Natalie and Sarah: From volleyball practice to Egyptian Ratscrew to choir tour to Oklahoma rehearsal to all the wine nights and reunions since then, you girls have been there through it all. We’ve come a long way since high school, but our friendships haven’t changed, and they’re still the bonds I cherish the most. I can’t wait to hear about all the wild developments in your lives as we set off on our next adventures. I know Mary is watching over us...and I know we’ve made her proud.
Mom and Dad: None of this would have been possible without you. Thank you for everything. I love you.

Nora Princiotti: Playing for keeps
Apr 19, 2016
“Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
One of these days a basketball is going to hit me square in the face.
It’s only a matter of time, right? I’ve sat along sidelines for hundreds of passes, shots and plays in my time at The Hatchet, and I’ve covered 73 basketball games in my last two years as sports editor. I’ve never gotten beaned.
I have had some near misses. A few out-of-bounds plays come to mind. One knocked over my coffee during a Diamond Head Classic game junior year.
The closest calls, though, haven’t come courtside. Instead, they’ve come at 2 a.m. on the interstate, driving home from Pennsylvania or Virginia, blasting Stacy’s Mom to drown out the thought of looming deadlines. They’ve come Sunday mornings in budgeting meetings trying to figure out what to put in the paper. They’ve come Sunday nights crunching stats from late games, just trying to get it right and put it all together in time.
When I got hired as The Hatchet’s sports editor, I knew that’s what I was signing up for. What I didn’t know, though, was why I was signing up for it. Not many little girls dream about becoming sports writers when they grow up, and I certainly hadn’t. The Hatchet was supposed to be a hobby, just one of the clubs you join in college. Not something where people depended on me. Not something I cared about that much. Not something where failure, or letting others down, was a real possibility.
That’s the thing about getting close to the action – there’s always the chance you get hit. Before The Hatchet, I’d never found anything that made me want to take that risk. I was always the kid growing up who preferred to watch my cousins play Monopoly because I didn’t want to lose. Even in school, I never really had a favorite subject. If I didn’t do well in a class, I could always just move on to the next thing.
At The Hatchet, though, I realized pretty quickly that I was playing for keeps. This job becomes your identity and how well you do it starts to feel very personal. You realize that if you do get hit, it’s going to hurt.
Luckily, we’ve had a pretty good run at Hatchet Sports these last couple of years. Now, though, as I leave, I’m bracing for impact.
This job has taught me who I am and what I want to do, but now I have to go be and do those things without it. It hasn’t really hit me yet, but I know it will soon.
It’ll hit me square in the face like a big, orange basketball.
Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Traynor: I’ve got to start at the beginning, right? I remember getting an email from you once freshman year where you told me that a story I’d written was really good, “for a freshman.” You were trying to be nice, but I’m so competitive that it just made me pissed and want to work harder. So, thanks, I guess? That said, you’re a legendary figure to me. Getting to follow in your footsteps always made me feel like I belonged in this job. It’s why I look up to you and part of why I’ve loved getting to know you outside of The Hatchet. You’re also someone I know I can cause more trouble with in two hours in a bar than most other people, which is also awesome.
Cory: You were sort of the last editor I interacted with before I realized that we’re all a bunch of crazy kids just trying not to mess up too badly, and I feel like that deserves a shoutout. Stop trolling the HatchetSports Twitter.
Sarah Ferris: See above, except you’re my biggest fan on Twitter, which I appreciate. Your dedication to The Hatchet stuck with me, and I’m constantly impressed with your hard work and brilliance. Also, you’re a really good hang and I’m glad we’ve gotten to know each other better!
Nick Rice: Dude. You freaking rock. There are many perks to knowing Chloé, but getting to know you has been one of the best. Not even Charlie can detract from it. Let’s party.
Nick Ong: Thanks for believing in me and for putting me on the women’s basketball beat my sophomore year. I hadn’t realized I was ready for it until you told me so. Seeing you chase the things you really care about, even when they took you away from The Hatchet, was an example I needed to see.
Brianna: I had a pretty steep learning curve when you were EIC, and you always found a way to make me feel like you’d shield me from my own inexperience while I figured it out, and you still took me seriously. I was totally spoiled by that, and I’ll always owe you for it. Your willingness to sacrifice for The Hatchet is unmatched.
Cam: You were one of my original road trip companions and I’m happy to be able to say there were many more that followed. I feel like old journalism stories are full of epic reporter-photographer tandems and I think ours was one for the books. The quality of your photos always pushed me to make my stories better. I’ve missed having you around this year and will happily challenge you to a shotgunning rematch at any time.
Mel: I know you didn’t want a little who was on The Hatchet, but you’ve seen enough romcoms to know that that’s when you know it’s going to work out. We share journalism and Pi Phi as well as our love of New England, country music, coffee and pastels, but it’s the moments when we differ that you’ve impressed me the most. Not all of our priorities are the same, but I can always count on you to have yours straight. I’m so happy that we’ve been able to rely on each other while trying to handle the pressures of our multiple friend groups – I really don’t know how we would have managed otherwise! You’re the best big I could possibly ask for. Not having you around is going to be one of the hardest things about leaving this city.
Chloé: For one person who I’m not related to, you’ve had an incredibly tangible impact on my life. I might have quit The Hatchet if you hadn’t asked me to have lunch with you that summer in New York, and if I’d done that I’d have missed out on one of my closest friends. We don’t need to revisit that fateful night at Yankee Stadium, but I secretly loved it because I felt like, for once, I could do something for you instead of the other way around. Thanks for being my Tiger Friend, for Sharpay-ing in the bathroom with me and for including me with the Squad for our Richmond bender. The townhouse hasn’t been the same for me without you and Mel, but I’m so glad that our friendship hasn’t skipped a beat. Also, I realized today that apparently everyone else has been working on writing their 30s for like a month? As always, I took after you.
To the rest of Vol. 111: Working with all of you was my first seat at the grownups table, and it was a pure treat. I’m so proud of everything we did together. Justin and Robin: I found a voice in Ed Board because of you two nuts.
Media Credit: Dan Rich | Contributing Photo Editor
Eva, Jacqueline and Jeanine: I wish we had an excuse to work together more closely because I feel like you guys are kindred spirits. Keep up the good work.
Sarah Blugis : My two favorite things about you are the strength of your convictions and the strength of your jokes. You’ve been an incredible leader in Ed Board and Ops has flourished under your direction. Thanks for being so on top of things, it probably meant I got in trouble less. Good luck with PumpkinNook.
Sam LaFrance: When the likes of Mel and Chloé graduated, I thought a lot about who I would look forward to seeing in the townhouse on Sundays this year. The answer to my prayers came in the form of a Zayn-loving, coffee-slinging badass – that would be you. I never would have expected that, after a Kanye tweet or a juicy Bachelor development the first thing I’d think would be “I need to know what Sam thinks about this.” Thanks for finding the perfect font for the Basketball Guide and for making our paper look pretty bangin’ this year. Also, for anyone reading this, Sam and I did a podcast about The Bachelor and it’s on SoundCloud and you should listen to it.
Blair: I’m glad you asked me to get a bagel the morning after Hatchet Prom two years ago. So many people on staff took me under their wings and I hope I did the same for you, even though you don’t really need it. Let’s watch Clueless soon.
Colleen: The way you’ve led this paper for the past year has been so impressive, but I can’t say I’m surprised. Your spirit and love of reporting made everyone’s jobs more fun, which I’m all about, obviously. I don’t know how you’ve done it so seamlessly, but you can tell me about it when we finally get sushi.
Zach: Editors have run out of metaphors for how essential you are to The Hatchet. Your dedication sometimes makes me feel bad for the delicate balance of flaky and demanding that constitutes my personality, but then I remember how much you love the Mets so at least I know I can’t let you down that badly. Sorry you know so much about my personal life. Actually, I take that back, and don’t expect to stop hearing about it after graduation.
Mark and Dan: I’m pretty sure that when I look back on college, the first thing I’m going to think of is you two doofuses. I know you think I’m not capable of showing emotion, but just trust that I care about you both more than you cared about that Wawa on the way back from Davidson. You’re going to make a great team together with Matt next year. Don’t kick me out of the group text. Dan: You’re an incredible photographer, a dedicated editor and an even better guy. I don’t know how you’re able to drive me crazy and keep me sane at the same time. Mark: We’ve learned so much about each other, and not just that Metamorphosis by Hilary Duff was both of our first album. You jumped on board for a pretty crazy ride and I’m positive I couldn’t have had a better partner for it. I’m so impressed by how polished your writing has become and by the thoughtful editor that you are. I’m so, so proud of you.
The rest of Vol. 112: At the end of last year, when several of the giants of my Hatchet career graduated with Vol. 111, I wasn’t sure this place could ever be the same. Then you all came in with smarts, grace and poise and created issue after issue that we could all be proud of. Brandon: You might be the only person on staff who is louder than me. The third floor was never quiet, though, and even if I drown you out with my headphones, sometimes I admire your sass. Ellie: Good luck next year. You don’t need it.
Pi Phi: I wasn’t around as much as I would have liked, but thank you for being the most amazing place to come home to. Emma, Alex, Shannon, Sam and Maddie: You guys have always been so enthusiastic and supportive that I can’t tell if you’re just faking it really well or if you actually care about the basketball team. Either way, I’ll take it and say thank you. I’m so lucky to have you guys as friends.
All my other friends: Thanks for putting up with me when all I could talk about was The Hatchet, and thanks for having way more interesting things to talk about afterwards. Alex, Ben, Eliana, Ed, Alex, Katie and Sammy: I'm trying to figure out how to put what your friendships mean to me into words, and I can't, which is generally a bad sign in my chosen profession. You’re the most brilliant, hilarious, fun, hardworking group of people, so I guess I’ll just say thanks for letting me tag along. Sammy, thanks for being my best friend. I can’t say it any better than that.
All the athletes I've covered: Thanks for having such great stories to tell and for always answering my questions. I confess to finger-dancing under the press table to the fight song.
Mom and Dad: They say kids rebel against their parents, but here I am going after a dying profession in writing, so I’m not sure I’m doing a very good job. I’m proud of what I’ve done in college, but I couldn’t have done any of it without your support. I love you.

Importance
Staff editorial: Student engagement should still be a priority for UPD
Apr 17, 2016
“You probably haven’t spent much time recently thinking about the role the University Police Department plays in your life on campus.
While UPD has tripled its amount of arrests in one year, it’s not clear if officers are connecting with students in any other way.
In August, UPD Chief RaShall Brackney said she wanted to prioritize face-to-face relationships between UPD and students by hosting monthly meetings over coffee to hear feedback. Brackney also said she would expand UPD’s presence on campus through the Connect program – which hosts events for officers and students – and use Twitter to talk directly to students about safety tips and information. But we haven't seen much of this happen.
It also seems like students haven’t prioritized a relationship with UPD this year. After years of students advocating for more emergency alerts and increasing the number of blue lights on campus, students seem far less focused on UPD now. There were no mentions of UPD in the SA elections, and SA Executive Vice President Thomas Falcigno proposed a student advisory board for UPD in January, but we haven’t heard anything since.
When former UPD Chief Kevin Hay resigned last year, and a task force was implemented to choose a new chief, the editorial board called for certain changes in the department. We asked for more communication between students and UPD and a more positive top-down leadership approach within the department.
Hay’s tenure was marred by lawsuits over sexual harassment and discrimination in the department. While it’s great that we haven't heard of similar incidents happening recently, students shouldn’t stop advocating for more information about the department.
After a year in the department, it seems like Brackney has yet to make headway on creating more connections with students – something she said was her top priority last summer. And that’s a problem because open lines of communication would create a more educated student body and less of an “us vs. them” narrative between UPD and students.
In an email, Brackney said that this fall she met with students over coffee to discuss safety tips for Halloween and held a coffee series in Gelman over finals, among other things. That’s a good start, but it doesn’t seem that that momentum carried over into the spring semester.
And that’s disappointing. Brackney was lauded for her efforts to reach out to community members on a monthly basis as commander in the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police. That’s something that would make a positive impact at GW. While Brackney met with Student Association leaders last summer, those students aren’t always the ones who would benefit most from talking to Brackney or other UPD officers.
Face-to-face meetings aren’t the only way Brackney could create more communication with the student body. In fact, it would be beneficial for Brackney to get a Twitter account to communicate with students. If all students could talk openly with Brackney, like they do when interacting with Dean of Student Affairs Peter Konwerski on Twitter, students could tweet at UPD about suspicious activity and UPD could send out safety tips.
“An ongoing priority is our continued engagement with the community,” Brackney said in an email. “Campus safety is not the single responsibility of GWPD. It is the responsibility of the entire campus.”
UPD should take a proactive approach in student engagement. Rather than host spaghetti nights or root beer pong, UPD should consider bringing speakers to campus. Speakers on topics like legally protesting on a college campus or reporting a sexual assault could bring students and officers together in a positive dialogue.
Brackney hasn’t done a bad job since she started as chief. But it’s disheartening that her goals for student and community engagement have fallen to the wayside. It’s time for Brackney to reprioritize the goals she set in August and for the student body to force this dialogue once again.
The editorial board is composed of Hatchet staff members and operates separately from the newsroom. This week’s piece was written by opinions editor Sarah Blugis and contributing opinions editor Melissa Holzberg, based on discussions with sports editor Nora Princiotti, design editor Samantha LaFrance, copy editor Brandon Lee, managing director Eva Palmer, culture editor Grace Gannon and research assistant Tyler Loveless.”

Importance
Researcher builds robot to help autistic children
“Media Credit: Spencer Strauss | Hatchet Photographer
Chung Hyuk Park, an assistant professor of biomedical engineering, is building robots to help autistic children with social interaction.
A researcher and his soccer-playing robot are scoring big.
Chung Hyuk Park, an assistant professor of biomedical engineering, is building robots to help autistic children improve their social interactions – making them more comfortable interacting and communicating through the robots. Park said he will start presenting the robots at conferences this year and hopes that the robots will eventually be affordable enough for all children with autism.
Park said he came up with the idea when he worked with visually impaired people and disabled children. He said working with children encouraged him to pursue assistive robotics and develop specific robots to help children with autism “learn new things, make friends, pursue happiness and take meaningful steps in their lives.”
“Robotics may not be the cure, but it can help them to practice their social skills, to engage in emotional and social activities and to help them gain more confidence in their human interactions,” Park said.
Park has programmed two large robots, three medium robots and three robots that connect to iPhones. The larger robots play soccer and speak, the medium robots dance and the iPhone-capable robots display emotion by turning an iPhone screen into the robots' faces.
“We tried to combine musical interaction and robot interaction for children with autism to better promote engagement and social interaction,” Park said.
He said he hopes to progress the most effective ways for the robots to engage with children and that children will feel comfortable interacting with the robots, helping them to develop social skills and to communicate their problems.
“They might have some specific behaviors, and if the robot can learn those behaviors and mimic them in a friendly way, then the robot can develop a better rapport with the children," Park said. "And they can be friends and be more effective in engaging with them."
Park received a $690,000 three-year grant in 2014 from the National Institute of Health for the project. He said a master’s student and three undergraduate students have helped with the research.
Park said he has studied children without autism with the robots and is now recruiting children with autism to interact with the robots. He said his team hopes to study 100 children on the autism spectrum interacting with the robots.
Park said there are other robot models, specifically in Europe, that were later turned into toys. He said his goal is to make an affordable robot specifically for children with autism.
“We wanted to provide a more skillful but less costly framework that could be purchased in the future,” Park said.
He said he can analyze the children’s progress on social and emotional engagement through their interactions with the robots and use music in the background to analyze the sound effect on children through vocal reaction.
Park said he will measure the children's daily progress to provide more quantifiable data to clinicians and parents on how the robots impact the children's abilities.
“We cannot measure emotion directly, but they are kids, so we can ask their parents to report progress in their emotional changes,” Park said. “We can use a microphone to analyze sound and translate vocal reaction.””

Drafted sixth overall, Jones ready for WNBA
“Media Credit: Photo courtesy of NBA Photos/Getty Images
Jonquel Jones poses with her new Connecticut Sun jersey after the WNBA draft last Thursday.
Two days before the WNBA draft, senior forward Jonquel Jones remembered a moment from her childhood in the Bahamas – watching women play professional basketball on television for the first time.
Now, 15 years later, Jones will be one of those women. On Thursday night, she was selected sixth overall in the 2016 WNBA draft by the Los Angeles Sparks and soon after was traded to the Connecticut Sun.
Jones said she was proud to represent GW at the draft because she felt like the team had been overlooked during her collegiate career.
“When I was walking up [onto the draft stage,] I was just happy because GW isn’t a school that is really known for basketball,” Jones said during a phone interview. “To be able to be amongst these players shows that you can do anything you want to do. You can go anywhere that you want to go and you can be successful.”
Fewer than 30 minutes after the selection, Jones was traded from the Sparks, a team with star power in Jones’ position, to the Sun, a roster where she might find a more solid chunk of playing time.
“I had just come from doing a photoshoot with the L.A. Sparks jersey," Jones said "I was walking to do a phone call and they told me to scratch that and go to a press conference. When I got there, one of the guys that was in charge of leading the players around said ‘You just got traded to Connecticut’ I was like ‘Really?’ So, that’s how I found out. And that was my career in L.A."
The Sun sent second-year former Duke guard Chelsea Gray to Los Angeles along with their second round pick (15th overall), third round pick (23rd overall) and their first round pick for next year. In return, Connecticut received the rights to Jones and the Sparks’ second round pick (17th overall).
“I’m excited, Connecticut has an extremely great fan base,” Jones said. “They love women’s basketball, and they support women’s basketball, so it is going to be great to play in front of people that have that kind of appreciation and love for the game.”
Jones is now the sixth player in GW history to be drafted into the WNBA and the first since Jessica Adair in 2009. The sixth overall selection also makes her the first Colonial ever drafted in the first round and the highest A-10 selection since former Xavier forward Amber Harris was selected fourth in 2011.
“Any time that you can say that you are the first to do something, it is a success,” Jones said. “But, the journey doesn’t end here, the journey only starts here. This is only the beginning of the chapter, and I just want to be successful at the highest levels and prove to people that I deserve to be here and those picks that Connecticut gave up for me were smart choices.”
In her final season as a Colonial, Jones led the nation in rebounding (14.6 rpg), ranked fourth in the A-10 in points per game (16.2 ppg) and landed second in the A-10 for blocked shots (3.3 bpg). In each of her three years at GW, she was the only player in the conference to average a double-double.
The 6-foot-6-inch forward is joining a Sun team that has been struggling but improving over the past two seasons. After only racking up 10 wins in 2013, they finished the 2015 season in last place in the east going 15-19.
Along with Jones, the Sun picked up UConn junior forward Morgan Tuck (3rd overall) and Minnesota senior guard Rachel Banham (4th overall) in the first round.
“I’m excited that we are a team that has three rookies coming in the first round," Jones said. "I think we will be able to grow our games and learn from each other."
The Sun finished second to last in the league for rebounding in 2015 but come into the new year with a stacked front court. On top of Jones’ size and athleticism, they return with last season’s leading scorer center Kelsey Bone and forward Chiney Ogwumike, who missed the entire year with a knee injury. Bone recorded 15.4 points and 6.3 rebounds per game last year, while Ogwumike led the 2014 Sun team with 15.5 points, 8.5 rebounds and more than a block per game.
Jones’ fellow Bahamas native and childhood friend Oklahoma senior guard Buddy Hield is also gearing up for the men's draft in June. Since Hield is expected to be a top five pick in the NBA draft, Jones joked about the competition they had about who would get drafted earlier.
“We talked about it before the tournament where I said, 'If I get drafted higher than you then XYZ, and if you get drafted higher than me then XYZ,'" Jones said. "It’s just a friendly rivalry.”
Fewer than two weeks after draft night, Jones and the rest of her Sun team kick off training camp on April 24 to get ready for the season beginning on May 14.”

(showing 10) Show All