StudentsReview :: Washington University in St Louis

Washington University in St Louis

WAU Campus News
The Venue Guide 2008

Jul 02, 2008
“Did you somehow find time between Calculus and Chief English Writers to watch TV and catch a good preview? Read that the new Will Ferrell movie was actually funny again? Heard that your favorite obscure indie band was coming to the Pageant, but have no idea what that means? Here is your guide to movies and music venues around St. Louis-all of which you can get to without the use of a car.”

Don't forget to vote

Jul 02, 2008
“As incoming freshmen, you have been and will be faced with a number of important, tough decisions over the course of the summer and fall. Which meal plan should you sign up for? Do you want to live in a single or double? Old dorm or new dorm? Which student groups do you want to join? Do you want to play Intramural sports for your floor? Are you going to stay pre-med? Oh…and who do you want to be the next President of the United States?”

Importance
University prepares to host VP debate

Jul 02, 2008
“As the nation waits for Senators John McCain and Barack Obama to choose their respective running mates, no one has a better reason to be curious about the choice than the students, faculty and staff of Washington University, which will be hosting the vice presidential debate on October 2nd in anticipation of the 2008 election cycle.”

Welcome Class of 2012

Jul 02, 2008
“Welcome to the Class of 2012! I am pleased that you have made the personal commitment to join the Washington University family. You arrive on the Danforth Campus as part of an exceptionally talented group of freshmen, representing a wide range of experiences, intellectual interests and perspectives.”

Importance
A professor's top ten hints for acing college

Jul 02, 2008
“When Student Life asked me to provide advice for incoming students, I wanted to make sure that I didn't subject you to your first lecture here at Wash. U. So, I thought about how I might advise our 18-year-old son who will also be starting college this fall. I realized that if I got too long-winded, he would quickly turn to his iPod, so I put this advice in a form that's more digestible: a top 10 list. So, here are the top 10 pieces of advice I, as a faculty member, would give to incoming students.”

Importance
Embracing the major you never thought you'd choose

Jul 02, 2008
“I'd like to extend a warm welcome to the incoming class of pre-meds-oh excuse me, freshmen. I know, I know, not all of you are pre-meds, and I'll have more to say to the others. But more of you will start as pre-meds than anything else by far, and many of you are making a mistake.”

Democracy and Citizenship Initiative at Washington University in St. Louis

Jul 02, 2008
“Welcome to Washington University. You begin your undergraduate careers at a time of profound institutional reflection and a discussion that-like much of what you will experience in the next four years±will be both specific and abstract. This announcement, then, is a welcome both into a community of scholars and into an exciting conversation about the very nature and purpose of that community.”

Importance
Find friends doing what you love

Jul 02, 2008
“About halfway through my freshman year, I was covering a Student Union meeting for Student Life. By the time the meeting ended around 12:30 a.m., I was worn out from a long day of classes and not particularly looking forward to starting my homework for the night.”

The importance of criticism

Jul 02, 2008
“It's easy to forget how important a disparaging voice can be. Without the snarl of incredulous criticism, we might skip through life listening happily to Duran Duran or enjoying the occasional Uwe Bol film. No, it's lucky you've got us, your fault-finding and unsympathetic critics here at Cadenza.”

Stepping Out

Jul 02, 2008
“Located in University City, only a short walk from the South 40, the Delmar Loop is a great place to spend an early autumn afternoon or evening. There are countless things to do on this one street, including seeing a movie, shopping, or going to a concert.”

News Topics