StudentsReview :: Duke University

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Duke University

Duke Campus News

Importance
A tribute to Maryland, "not our rivals"
Jan 01, 2015
“As the final seconds ticked down in Duke’s 20-point victory against Maryland last weekend, chants of “not our rivals” cascaded through the confines of Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Although the win meant a solid recovery from a disastrous 27-point loss in Miami, it also held the added significance of being potentially the last time the Terrapins play at Cameron Indoor Stadium before they depart for the Big Ten in the 2014-15 season.
It is true—the Terps are not our rivals. They never have been,...”

Five-star dorm rooms
Jan 01, 2015
“In recent years, unthinkable amenities like tanning beds, poolside cabanas and spherical “nap pods” have taken the place of dismal dormitories and labs in universities across the country. The phenomenon of “country club” colleges refers to mostly middling universities that have diverted funds from academics towards opulent facilities in an attempt to lure students. While Duke may not fall into this breed of resort colleges, the University still participates in an amenities arms race among elite...”

Sympathy for the devil
Jan 01, 2015
“It’s changing, now, but most geologists are still in it for the rocks. There are hand samples, chunks of granite or tonalite you can carry in a backpack and examine with a magnifying glass. There are the shelves of fossils, minerals, ooids and microstructures we all have somewhere in our houses, or boxed up waiting for a permanent residence. And then there are the Big Rocks. The ones Out West: the sandstones of Utah, the granodiorites of the Sierra Nevada Batholith, the gabbronorites of...”

U mad bro?
Jan 01, 2015
““You sound too angry in your columns.”
There aren’t too many things more frightening in the present-day United States than an angry Arab. I’ve enjoyed being The Chronicle’s resident angry Arab for quite some time now, even if it gets exhausting at times. But anger, more so than other emotions, has a lot to tell us about our attitudes toward dissent and our political lives.
I sound angry in my columns because I am angry and unapologetically so. Not to be angry in the face of the injustices...”

Importance
Duke Concourse merges social media and academics
Jan 01, 2015
“A new Duke platform likened to an academic Facebook aims to increase information sharing and collaboration, but many students and administrators do not know about it.
Concourse, an enterprise collaboration program that allows for online communication and data sharing, has had a positive introductory period since opening to faculty, staff and students last week, said Julian Lombardi, assistant vice president of academic and research services for the Office of Information Technology. The...”

Importance
Software CEO says good leaders have 'generosity gene'
Jan 01, 2015
“For true innovation to thrive, business leaders should primarily value the interests of their company’s customers, said Bill McDermott, co-CEO of German software corporation SAP AG, in a talk at the Fuqua School of Business Tuesday afternoon.
McDermott, who became co-CEO of SAP alongside Danish businessman Jim Hagemann Snabe in 2010, came to Duke as a part of Fuqua’s Distinguished Speakers Series. He spoke about his experiences with global business leadership in a question-and-answer style...”

Critique Duke
Jan 01, 2015
“Duke is a school renowned for its spirit. From the much-lauded Cameron Crazies to the strong alumni network, the University is seen as a place where people can receive an excellent education while also having fruitful social, academic and community interactions. However, this rose-colored perception of Duke can be a double-edged sword as it leads to an ignorance of the things that can have a negative impact on one’s college experience.
Some of this can be attributed to the standard college...”

Importance
Why respect a Republican/Democrat?
Jan 01, 2015
““Why should I respect a Republican or Democrat’s political views on campus when he or she draws conclusions completely contrary to my own?” Some of us at Duke answer this question with, “I shouldn’t have to. If my opponent is wrong, then there is simply no reason to respect what I deem to be conclusively wrong.”
These individuals operate in a world of black-and-white policy answers. But it surprises me, at a school that arguably teaches one of the best liberal arts curricula in our country,...”

On regret
Jan 01, 2015
“Regrets are not just the things we should not have done. They’re also things we should have done. Like missing the deadline to apply for a job you wanted, not e-mailing that visiting professor to get off the waitlist for her seminar or never kissing the boy who lived down the hall freshman year. Those are all regrets. And it’s easy to be rational and smug. To convince ourselves: “I’m great right now, and every decision I have made has led me to where I am right now, therefore, I have no...”

"7 Words" engages philosophy and music
Jan 01, 2015
“At first glance, the disciplines of philosophy and music appear to have little in common. Whereas philosophers strive to create clear arguments using definable concepts, musicians compose melodies and symphonies that resist linguistic understanding. Whereas philosophy is hyper-verbal, music is predominantly non-verbal. When commenting on music, philosophers often speak in roundabout or simplistic ways (e.g. Schopenhauer once wrote that “music is the answer to the mystery of life”). Likewise,...”

(showing 10) Show All
Duke University
Compare DukeSave Duke

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→