StudentsReview :: Colgate University

Hamilton College -- Clinton, NY

CU Campus News
The Journalist's Manifesto

Sep 30, 2009
“"I'm registering with the Communist party, actually," said my Hebrew school classmate when I asked him who he was planning on voting for in the 2008 election. Trying to avoid a political debate, I simply said "Good luck with that" all the while thinking that I would love to see the day that this wealthy, private-school educated Jewish boy from the suburbs who constantly brags about his exotic vacations would give it all up for the sake of his "comrades.”

Queer Corner: Lifetime Blood Ban

Sep 30, 2009
“I remember I was really excited when I turned 17 in high school, because that was when I could finally donate blood (I'm a nerd, it's true). I donated whenever I could, and was really excited that I could have a donor card of my very own. Sitting through the question portion was always the worst (except for the big pointy needle), and I was always afraid that I would screw up and say that yes, I did get a blood transfusion in the Falkland Islands in the '80s.”

Alternative Heating Comes to the Loj

Sep 30, 2009
“As part of the University's Sustainability Initiative, Colgate's environmentally conscious selective living residence, the Loj, has begun a brand new project. In the upcoming weeks the Loj, located at 70 Broad Street, will be installing a biofuel heater that will allow the residence to be heated solely by vegetable oil.”

Seniors Look Back, Prepare for Real World

Sep 30, 2009
“On the night of Thursday, September 24, large groups of seniors flocked to various downtown venues to participate in Senior Day celebrations, which were sponsored by the 2010 Class Council and Student Government Association.”

Going Rogue: The End of the GOP

Sep 30, 2009
“This November, Sarah Palin's memoir Going Rogue: An American Life will be released. For conservatives, this may be the most exciting book release since the Bible. For me, it is only a sad reminder of the unfortunate path the party I used to belong to has taken.”

The Bright Side of the Colgate Bubble

Sep 30, 2009
“The Real World. I'm not talking about the crass, plot-less, should-be-cancelled MTV reality show, but rather the uncertain life beyond Colgate. For many students, the idea that we are offered the opportunity to live inside of the "Colgate Bubble" (or, for the cynics out there - the idea that we can cumulatively pay more than the price of many American homes to be a part of the Colgate community and share a communal shower) seems to be terribly detrimental.”

Environmental Column: Willow Power

Sep 30, 2009
“Seventy-six percent of Colgate's winter heat is generated in a sustainable manner right here on campus at the woodchip burning facility next to the Huntington Gymnasium. The facility has been operating since the early 1980s and annually converts around 20,000 tons of harvested woodchips into heat for Colgate's buildings.”

LGBTQ Muslims Defeat Stigma

Sep 30, 2009
“On Thursday, September 24, Faisal Alam, a self-identified queer Muslim, gave a lecture titled "Hidden Voices: the Lives of LGBT Muslims" to a group of about 40 students and faculty gathered in Love Auditorium. Alam, the founder of Al-Fatiha, an organization that connects LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning) Muslims with each other, spoke about his life experiences and his mission to support and empower queer Muslims.”

Don't Worry, Be Happy

Sep 30, 2009
“There's a classic question that everybody, not just students, often grapple with at some point: Do I pursue my passions or take the safe, secure and "smart" path to success? College students may wonder: Investment banking or tour with my band until we hit it big? What may surprise you is that there are 30 and 40-somethings out there who ask themselves the same things.”

Chernoff Cancels Trip to See Ahmadinejad

Sep 30, 2009
“On September 23, twenty Colgate students planned to attend a meeting with Iranian President Ahmadinejad that was part of his visit to the United Nations. The trip was scheduled prior to his radical denial of the Holocaust in his speech on September 18.”

News Topics