StudentsReview ™ :: Over 236100 College Reviews ™ (4,421 colleges reviewed!)

Search for Colleges by Region

Who's got the Best (variable)?

Contact Alumni for advice

Prof. medicine
University : Malformed University Name, Uncategorized Surveys ( 1973 )
Major : Philosophy
Still in Field? :No
Effort Level : 4/5 (Worked Hard)
Gender : Male

Jobs held since college:
1. Physician
2. Physician
3. ICU Director
4. Prof. Medicine

Comment:
"
    I am a 1973 grad !!!!! I am motivated to review here after all these decades because I have been reviewing colleges for my very bright graduating relative and of course have recommended Bucknell to him. I am rather astonished to see that for 4 decades time has stood still. The current reviews could have been written in my time - except for the spandex and heels. Both the positive and negative reviews are accurate descriptions of my experience so readers need to digest both perspectives for a synthesis which will either work or not work for their needs.
    That said, it is revealing that the school described has not changed. This testifies to stability and a commitment to learning vs cultural faddism OR an ossified atmosphere of insouciance. Again, it depends on your perspective. And your personality.
    I was a highly motivated - driven in fact- student; very independent and a bit misanthropic so I was immune to the frat dominated social world . I wanted to learn,and I did. Here the education you get will depend on your motivation. If you are looking for a place that will provide an atmospheric river you can jump into to be carried along into diverse scholarship and expanded horizons this isn't the place. One must know what one wants. Then Bucknell becomes an academic wonderland. The classes are intimate, there is TOTAL access first class academics,to brilliant faculty who will challenge you and inspire. The rural environment allows contemplation, peace, mindfulness. It also accommodates athleticism (yes, I sound like some kind of monk!)
    In short, ALL the building blocks of a better-than-Harvard education are at your fingertips. Remember, I was a philosophy major who went to med school from here during the most competitive yr in med admissions history!- THAT says a lot about the school, its stimulating power, and its reputation elsewhere.
    But if an infantile social scene or lack of dates is going to bother you don/t come here. This isn't the place for a vulnerable introvert or the person in need for diversity and friends who will expand horizons. I came from NYC so I was very savvy. The drop dead beautiful rural environment also changed my life , and provided nurturance for developing my own plan for a life and digesting all that I had learned before coming to Bucknell. So, ironically, the more sophisticated you are the more you will appreciate Bucknell. The less worldly, or more conventional you are the more you will just wallow.
"

Ask Advice

Please keep in mind that these people are in the workforce leading busy lives... e.g. -- Be brief. If the message is too long, they will not be able to take the time to reply.
Your Email Address