StudentsReview :: The University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

Michigan State University -- East Lansing, MI

Consultant
University : University of Michigan - Ann Arbor ( 1998 )
Major : Political Science
Still in Field? :No
Effort Level : 4/5 (Worked Hard)
Gender : Female

Jobs held since college:
1. Assistant To Congresswoman
2. Staff Assistant
3. Lead Paralegal
4. Sr. Management Analyst
5. Consultant

Comment:
"
    I absolutely LOVED U of M. I was wary of going there since it was the least selective school I had applied to, but my experience at U of M was the best and I am very happy my choice. The following comments only apply to LS&A students. If you are in engineering, prepare to be somewhat to completely miserable, studying 24/7, and hating life until you get out and make mad bank. B-school students, not quite as miserable, but prepare to put in the hours.

The first year can be rough if you cannot balance the partying and studying. Intro classes will weed you out if you're drinking instead of studying. However, in time (or if you are smart you can handle your stuff from day one) you can strike a balance and get good grades, party, and attend football games, etc. I was a political science/women's studies double major. I was able to hold down 5 classes, a part-time job, and retain a very active social life. I was not forced to joint the Greek system b/c the campus is so large and there is so much to do in Ann Arbor. My political science professors in general tended to be great intellectuals although some of them could have used some lecturing skills. The women's studies professors were excellent. I learned more at Michigan than I think I would have at most other colleges. Once you find your niche, I think happiness and success are imminent in your college career. I received a stellar liberal arts education.

There are some things I would change on campus however. I would offer more and better trained counselors for all LS&A students, not just Honors kids. I would recommend a student sticking to one counselor through the years as opposed to bouncing around and seeking advice from whomever you happen to end up with on a given day. I would also advise students to be very active in investigating the different activities and groups on campus or you will miss out on opportunities that will help you in the future with school or getting good jobs. Some students can be somewhat arrogant and snobby, but I think there are always people like that wherever you go. Finding people that you really like is almost as easy as it sounds given you try to be social. You have to be the one to make things happen for yourself b/c the school is so large and no one is really going to be guiding you unless you seek them out to do so. The bureaucracy at U of M can be frustrating at times. It is a large school and such a system can be expected, but they should really try to rearrange things so that students don't feel lost, esp. in their first two years.

Overall, I think U of M was an amazingly intellectual and socially gratifying experience. I loved every minute of it. I made friends for life. The growth potential of a U of M student is infinite. I am truly a better and smarter person due to my education. I pushed myself and my professors and GSI's encouraged me and made me want to push myself. The U of M name on the resume means much more than you think when it comes to the working world and the alumni network is vast. U of M is highly respected and people are generally impressed by the grads. There is an almost tangible sense of pride among U of M grads that I think is unheard of at most other schools. This can at least partly be attributed to the athletic events b/c they foster school spirit almost to the extent of patriotism. Also, the Career Planning and Placement Office is helpful come senior year. I would highly recommend going here for a first rate education.
"