StudentsReview :: The Laguna College of Art and Design - How to Get into LCAD/LAD (Undergraduate)

University of California -- Berkeley, CA

42.5%
% Overall
43.3%

Students who got into LCAD/LAD:

Tips mention: Interview (0), ACT/SAT (0), Grades (0), Sports/Extracurriculars (0), College Essay (1)
Cobble together a good portfolio, recommendation letters, and aDec 10 2015Art & Design Department
Cobble together a good portfolio, recommendation letters, and a good essay. If you insist on going, don't settle for anything less than a great scholarship.
Draw, draw, drawMar 09 2015Art & Design Department
Draw, draw, draw. Develop your portfolio.
SAT: 2040 Female
Look for scholarships through the school before you evenAug 16 2011Interior Design
Look for scholarships through the school before you even enroll. If you can get them, your post-graduate self will thank you!! Make sure you understand the rules of your loan paybacks. Unfortunately the accounting department of this school is HORRIBLE, but your education will be worth it!
I am a proud parent, uncle and cousin ofAug 15 2011Art & Design Department
I am a proud parent, uncle and cousin of children who are the first generation to go past high school. The school I am commenting on is the Art Institute in Orange County. My nephew was one of the first students around eleven years ago and our extended family has been registering and supporting students in both the Visual Arts and Culinary Arts ever since. This school is a great alternative for students who cannot or do not want to go to a traditional college or university. Our family has many talented artists and a couple restaurant owners so this school was ideal.
In those last eleven years, exactly twelve students from our family, including step-children, nieces, nephews, first cousins and second cousins have registered and attended the Santa Ana campus.
It was very nicely suited to about half of them. The rest did not graduate. I repeat that this school is wonderful, but it is not for everyone. Here?s why.
When our kids took the tour, the Admissions officers or other employees showed them around. The campus is clean and has a professional look. After the tour, the school asks very persistently, ?So when do you want to start?? That?s their job. However, the school accepts everyone, so, as adult guardians, we are not sure if our students will be successful or have the ability to compete.
The first time students have a major, formal review of their work and progress is after one year. By that time, their tuition bills can be over $30,000. If the school or the program is not right for our kids, it?s too late. That is a very expensive mistake.
Fortunately, there are ?checks and balances? at this great school. They come from the faculty. In every case when one of our kids has not been suited for the school, the program, or the profession, a professor has been the one to say so.
I kept track of these comments for our kids in our extended family, because they were great in redirecting their education.
Mr. Michael Tracy asked my stepson once, ?What do you want from this education?? When the answer was, ?I want to work for Disney Studios?, Mr. Tracy said that his dream was very unlikely to come true. At that point, our stepson had racked up over $42,000 in tuition and other fees. That was a very expensive mistake.
Mr. Alan Burner counseled several of our kids on choosing another school or another career. He is the Director of Foundations, and has a special perspective on success for students. Based on his advice, we estimate that the three students in our family who left the Art Institute and went to different schools, together saved over $120,000 in combined tuition and fees. They are all successfully employed in Orange County and LA County.
Ms. Alison Kuo and Mr. Michael Hanson also had comments that served as ?tough love? to a couple of my relatives. They transferred to alternate art schools in Southern California.
Chefs Rick Royal and Peter Strifolino also gave advice to students that they may not be cut out for the grueling restaurant business.
In conclusion, the Art Institute, Orange County campus is a great school, but it is not for everyone. Also, it is not cheap. Listen to your professors, especially, Professors Tracy, Burner, Kuo, Hanson, and Chefs Royal and Strifolino. They have saved us hundreds of thousands and have steered our kids in the right direction.
You do not need to do anything because allApr 14 2011Interior Design
You do not need to do anything because all they want is your money
Compare LCAD/LADSave LCAD/LAD