StudentsReview :: California College of the Arts - How to Get into CCA (Undergraduate)

California Institute of the Arts -- Valencia, CA

76.6%
% Overall
76.3%

Students who got into CCA:

Tips mention: Interview (3), ACT/SAT (6), Grades (2), Sports/Extracurriculars (0), College Essay (3)
I went to a national portfolio day and showedNov 02 2011Other
I went to a national portfolio day and showed mostly photos and paintings, the guy said it was the best portfolio he'd seen all day and waived my application. If you have an SAT score average or better, they'll love you. It's honestly not that hard to get in.
SAT: 1930 Male
I took and ap art and French class inMar 16 2011Architecture
I took and ap art and French class in highschool, did some volunteer work at art galleries and got recommendations from great teachers I had from highschool.
I worked extremely hard on my portfolioFeb 01 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I worked extremely hard on my portfolio. I put everything I had into it and more. I showcased a range of figure drawings with my personal insights and interests for the subject matter. I also included some art pieces focused on my political and social views. My essay I focused on a art show fundraiser I was a part of to help raise money to help the woman in the Congo. If you apply in fall you will be more likely to get scholarships. I got a scholarship for $15,000 a year.
If you have the money and a good portfolioMay 01 2009Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
If you have the money and a good portfolio you will get in. I went to another school for two years, worked on a portfolio, and got in!
I am a poor ass bastard, literally! I'm aApr 19 2009Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I am a poor ass bastard, literally! I'm a one-night stand baby, (the financial lady assured me however it aint so uncommon, didn't really help my FAFSA, wtf? ha ha. Since high school, my Mama's health has been terrible and keeps her out of work, we survived on food stamps, the whole 9 yards on the system. And look I go to CCA!!! True story!
If your get decently good grades in high school, you'll get financial aid, I can only speak for CA residents. . .the Cal Grant saves my life. Do your research, shake down the government, where ever you live!

Truly be passionate about what your creating, no matter whose fronting the dime, the Government, your parents, gosh golly you?! Make it worth your while, it's expensive, but luckily for all us poor kids who never got new clothes to k-12 and never got braces, fancy art college is affordable, ha ha!

No matter what your background is, be passionate. Be articulate, and ask your self, what do I really want to do with my life? I always think people with diverse interests/passions make the best artists, just be true to yourself, trust your self, and be real, give it all you got, and you'll most definitely get in CCA. For older students, like "real" grown-ups, not just that you can grow a hip beard, etc. CCA may not be worth it as a full time student, I'd say test the waters, before diving in, because it does have the dominant energy and awkwardness of early 20 year olds. I'm only 22 and I get annoyed! I always appreciate the rebel rousers in class, because they at least say something, and shake things up (in stimulating ways, not destructive ones). But again, it's your education, it's up to you to make it your own defined best, and I assure you my dears, if you do that, you won't be disappointed in the very least! Good Luck! Namaste.

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→