StudentsReview :: Eckerd College - How to Get into Eckerd (Undergraduate)

Rollins College -- Winter Park, FL

74.0%
% Overall
71.0%

Students who got into Eckerd:

Tips mention: Interview (1), ACT/SAT (4), Grades (8), Sports/Extracurriculars (1), College Essay (6)
I came to Eckerd for numerous reasonsMay 08 2018Other
I came to Eckerd for numerous reasons. I was excited to be studying marine science and to be living in the warm environment. The professors are amazing and I never once felt like they did not care about my well-being. Each professor is highly invested in their students are accessible for anything you may need to speak with them about. If you want to have access to an esteemed education, this is a wonderful place to be.
However, most students are unmotivated and the sheer audacity of many of the students is appalling. Many will simply not show up for class simply because they do not feel like being in class and will later ask you for your notes. They will also complain about the fact that they are failing a rather difficult class when they never showed up to the lectures. The partying is outrageous. This is a wet campus, and thus it is legal to have alcohol on the premises if you are 21. It sounds great until it is a Wednesday night and you have an exam the next day but can't sleep a wink because your neighbors are drinking, partying, and have no respect for you. Many of the students are also hypocrites who will yell at you for using too much paper when printing out an essay but will trash the campus with plastic and plastic-based body glitter during their late night and weekend parties.
There are also tons of events that occur on the campus that are sanctioned by the school. There is probably an event every single night, so if you are bored its a great time to go. However, if you are serious about your academic work and do not have time to participate in dorm or campus activities, you will be shunned or reprimanded for not going and not being involved enough with the community. I understand that they wish for a well-knit community, but most people do not have time for these events.
Finally, the administration is by far the worst that I have ever experienced. My sophomore year, I lived in a dorm room that was infested with ants and roaches. When it was expressed that this was a sanitary issue, the college never did anything about it. Despite constant call for this problem to be addressed, the problem was never solved. My junior year, I lived in a dorm that had an electric outlet with wires hanging out of the wall. Again despite the constant calls for this problem to be fixed due to this being a safety hazard, the problem was never fixed. Along with this, I was staying on campus to do a summer internship which was to start right after finals week. I asked if I would be able to move in to the room I would be staying in, to which I was rejected. I had to rent a storage unit and fly all the way home for 2 weeks, only to come back to move in. It was a waste of time and money. I also had to do the same thing at the end of the summer right before fall semester would begin.
Also during junior year, I asked to be taken off the meal plan to cook my own meals as it was a waste of money for me to remain on the meal plan. I have complicated food intolerances that made it difficult to eat any of the food that Eckerd provided me. When I relayed this information to the school I was rejected saying that they had to keep me on the meal plan. After arguing with them over the issue that I was legitimately becoming ill from the foods that I was offered, they told me the best they could do was drop me to the lowest meal plan. This was again just a ploy to get more money because I never ate there during that year.
After a week into my senior year, we were told to evacuate the campus for a hurricane. While this was the smart thing to do, Eckerd did not offer anywhere for people to stay. I was lucky in that I had a place to go that was not too far away, but many of our students did not have a car and/or were international students who had absolutely no where to go. When Eckerd was pressed for answers about if they were offering a place for students to stay, they simply told them to just evacuate. This is an outrageous way to handle this situation. Families and students are paying this school upwards $50,000 to educate and care for the students, and this is the way they handle an emergency situation.
Then, during the last week of my senior year and a week before my graduation the school accused me and numerous other students for academic dishonesty. While nothing came of the matter and we were only issued a verbal warning as the behaviors had been occurring for several years, they said that we being being made examples to the whole school. While I do not condone the behavior that me and my fellow classmates committed unknowingly, there handling of the situation was appalling. Rather than speaking to us privately and sending out an email to inform the student body that this behavior is inexcusable, the school kept the matter secret to catch other people committing the act and then make more examples out of them for something that the faculty encouraged.
While the education and faculty are wonderful, the campus may as well be a summer camp for rich kids and the administration is terrible. Please be aware of these issues when thinking of going to Eckerd.
I spent a lot of time writing for scholarshipsAug 27 2012Other
I spent a lot of time writing for scholarships; which to date I can not get an answer to an acceptance NO MATTER WHO I HAVE CONTACTED. One person actually lamely said "that's not my department" click. Choose any other school. Anywhere else. There are so many better choices. Review the reviews for top ranked schools.
I got into nothing because the clubs are studentNov 11 2011Perfomance Arts
I got into nothing because the clubs are student run and shotty. The students run the clubs and thus are at the mercy of whomever created the club to set meeting times and events.
I did a ton of community service (not justAug 31 2011Cultures/Civilization
I did a ton of community service (not just to get into college but that looked great) AP/honor classes, good GPA, i took the essay serious because Eckerd wants your personality just as much (maybe more) than GPA.
BE yourself and have a genuine desire to go hereJun 07 2011History/Histories (art history/etc.)
BE yourself and have a genuine desire to go here. I didn't have the highest GPA, and I had above average test scores. But it was really my essay and my interview that got me in here because Eckerd wants people, not numbers.
Compare EckerdSave Eckerd