StudentsReview :: Old Dominion University - How to Get into Undergraduate ODU

74.6%
% Overall
75.3%
Students who got into ODU:

Tips mention: Interview (0), ACT/SAT (15), Grades (30), Sports/Extracurriculars (7), Essay (3)

Jan 23 2014Criminal
I took the ACT twice and the SAT once. If you get a 22 or higher on the ACT and you have at least a 3.2 in high school you should be fine.
ACT: 23 SAT: 1540 Male
Jan 10 2014Criminal
I tried my best in all my classes and got a 1440 on my SATs, I'd say to get into odu you need to have at least a 2.5. I had a 3.2 and got in a week after I applied so it isn't too hard to get in. If you have above a 3.0 you're basicLly guaranteed
SAT: 1440 Female
Oct 06 2013Other
Balance extracurricular activities and school work. They look at you as a whole person, not just this number or that number. Do your extracurricular resume, have a decent GPA and decent test scores, and get great recommendations. Apply by the early deadline!
ACT: 28 Female
Nov 28 2012Communications
I had a very low SAT score and a 3.0 in HS. I've heard they are making it harder to get in. But honestly, I think they let people in based on your ethnicity in order to be able to 'promote diversity'.
SAT: 1300 Female
Feb 29 2012Other
Getting in was not hard. I had 1300 Math/Verbal SATs and above a 3.0 in high school. There are people that should not be here, but they will not make it, and they major in things like communications and criminal justice. The science and engineering students are certainly on par with other universities. What separates our science/engineering professors from ones at other well-known universities is that our professors know our names, and give us hands on experience. I've already met 2 VT and 1 UVA transfer in the engineering department here.

Nursing and education are hard to get into. Getting into ODU is pretty easy but getting into specific professional programs is cut-thought. Be prepared to be the best, or you'll be the next person writing a sour review of ODU because its more rigorous than you expected, and you didn't get into the right program.

The returning adults and older commuters drag the average SAT and GPAs down that you see on websites. I have met more very smart students than I have dummies, but dummies will exist in a large school. Like I said, our academics hit them in the face and they won't survive in a science of engineering program here, for sure.

Feb 18 2011Psychology
2.8 GPA, 25 ACT, 1050 SAT, extracurricular activities. Not hard to get into but I know people with 3.4 GPAs that got denied.
ACT: 25 SAT: 1049 Female