StudentsReview :: Oglethorpe University - How to Get into Oglethorpe (Undergraduate)

Oklahoma State University -- Stillwater, OK

55.5%
% Overall
55.8%

Students who got into Oglethorpe:

Tips mention: Interview (0), ACT/SAT (3), Grades (7), Sports/Extracurriculars (2), College Essay (3)
Because this is a very small campus with strictMay 13 2016English
Because this is a very small campus with strict on-campus living requirements, I strongly suggest fitting-in. If you don't you will suffer. Follow the crowd, lose your individuality, fall into peer pressure. If you don't want to do any of these things then don't go to this school.

Oglethorpe University accepts almost anyone's application. It's the students who are more likely to reject you.

Applied online, paid fees, wrote an essayNov 17 2015English
Applied online, paid fees, wrote an essay. The school accepts any trash that rolls by, especially if you're an athlete. They have a very high acceptance rate.
When I decided to attend Oglethorpe University, at theMay 21 2015Business - Management and Administration
When I decided to attend Oglethorpe University, at the moment my decision looked like it was the best one, the program was the best based on my needs. The single mom of a middle school girl, a full time worker and a full time student, the campus was just 5 miles away from my office and 10 miles away from home, so I didn?t have to spend much time driving. They offered classes in a term based, so sounded reasonable and doable to work full time and take two classes per term.
I decided to enroll and started classes. Woo! what an experience on my first day of class! What an Amazing Professor, how much professionalism! I left school that day, wanting to save the world. Professor McMath? the best! He inspired me on that first day of class, and gave me the impression that I just made the best choice of my life by choosing to attend Oglethorpe University. He is one of those professors that one will remember forever and ever, due to the valuable and positive impact they make on you.
The first semester was great, I was doing well. Being a single mom in charge of a home without any support, working full time and going to school fulltime, my first semester I got A and B, it was good! to be my first term, the starting point I thought. The next few terms were great, it looked like I could handle the studies. Two classes per term without neglecting my daughter, who at the time was in middle school and was and is a honor student in advance classes, and have received academic recognitions since in elementary school, I was handling the house, work and school well.
I was excited to be attending Oglethorpe. Finally being able to go to school and working on completing my business degree felt so great. Two and a half years passed, and I was clearly doing well, sure statistics are hard to bit, scoring a 34 on ACT sure I should have a 3.5 GPA now in school.
I felt I could be an example and an inspiration for other single moms, working full time. Until the day Oglethorpe University started getting pressured to maintain their accreditation from the Board of education? They needed to change from offering Term to Semester. We, students were never explained what was happening, until we stated hearing the rumors. They forced adult students with many responsibilities, which decided to attend their school due to the flexibility of their program, to take 3 classes while working full time.
Imaging how I was feeling after investing time and money, hearing rumors that the program was going to end, was going to be changed. They forced many of us, adult students to take three classes a semester to be able to qualify for student loans and financial aid. I went from being an As and Bs student, to getting Bs and Cs, I could not handle the load.
There was not planning, there was not counseling, there was no orientation to students to inform the choices we had. There was no guidance, We were going to school 4 times a week until 10:45PM, draining! With no time left to study, forcing some of us to hire sitters for our kids for longer than we could afford.
On my final class, after a stress crisis, depression, after I broke out in hives, I was writing my final paper. Imaging where my thinking was!! full time mom, full time worker, full time student. I forgot to quote a paragraph of about six sentences on a 4 pages paper and submitted through ?turnitin?. Who does not know ?turnitin? is a software capable of detecting plagiarism? EVERYONE, I had been using it and hearing about it for 3 years at school, but a mind under stress a pressure that wrote a 4 page paper and forgot to quote a six sentence paragraph, maybe not. Come on! It was clearly an error.
The story does not end here; I met with a committee and accepted my error. I brought Medical evidence to the meeting showing, I have been seeing a counselor/Psychologist, since the school change the program to semester, because I had too much stress and was doing too much on my won. Oglethorpe offers little or none/ support to adult students. Miss information, little or none information about the changes were share with the students, until rumors stating circulating. They made the changes to accommodate the rich kids attending the morning program, the night classes were not longer adult classes. Kids stating to take classes during the evening, so they could have more sleep in the mornings.
Be careful with the ?Best adult program? they pitch. You will find no support from the school, they have excellent professors, but there are also a few that are mediocre. Like one who noticed my vulnerability at the time, and my desperation trying to bring my grades up. I had a C in his class, and in a very insinuating way he told me that ?I really want to give me an A in the class?, and asked for my phone number and if we could go out for dinner, kind of like insinuating sexual favors, to what I responded I was Ok with the B, and left the room.
The campus is amazing, there are excellent professors: Dr. Orme, Prof. McMath, Prof, Mayer, Dr. King, Prof. Horan, Prof. McBride, excellent human beings, professionals, educators. But also be careful on choosing to take classes with others, they have a mediocre clown who collects transformers toys in Sociology who is the worst of all! A Business graduate who is not qualify to teach economics, acting to be an Economics professor. The Dean of students was very compassionate with me, I called her a few times on the phone, but I was already sunk!

Be careful, you?ll find not support, no guidance, and one counselor for the whole program!
ACT: 34 Female

I just filled out the free application, and didJan 31 2014Business - Management and Administration
I just filled out the free application, and did the JEO Scholarship Weekend. I would HIGHLY advise applying early enough to compete in the weekend, as you are almost guaranteed some sort of scholarship if you go.
ACT: 33 SAT: 2100 Female
Get involved early and don't be afraid to showJan 08 2014Other
Get involved early and don't be afraid to show off your leadership experience. And don't forget it's a liberal arts university (some really do).
Compare OglethorpeSave Oglethorpe