Oct 13 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc If you want to get into any of the schools you are applying for with ease (or a scholarship) you need an ACT composite of at least 27 or higher, but you can get into RISD with a mid-twenties score. 1700 or higher on the SAT is also advisable, but keep in mind that people learn differently, and RISD caters to that. RISD is expensive and scholarships are few and far between... but sophomore year its easier to get money from this school. Have a portfolio of lots of varied works. It is also a good idea to take an AP art class in high school or join an art club. If you get a 4 or 5 on the AP art exam submit that to RISD, but I wouldn't submit a score of 3 or lower. All of those things look good to admissions. ACT: 29 Female
“RISD is very selective (around 35% acceptance rate)
Oct 07 2010Interior Design RISD is very selective (around 35% acceptance rate). if you wanna get in, expect to hand in a good portfolio (technique wise and creativity wise). Also take AP classes it will pay off, as RISD accepts AP credits. Take lots of art classes in HS (i took 3 AP art classes and get good SAT scores- yes risd considers sat scores. Also, i highly suggest you take the summer classes offered at RISD for Highschoolers- it will give u a good preview of ur college life here. I wish I did, I def. would not have chosen to come here if only i knew earlier... Female
Nov 04 2007Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Read the advice on this website and others. My HS art teacher was very helpful with my portfolio, but if yours isn't keep these things in mind:
- Show VARIETY of traditional mediums (paintings, drawings, etchings, sculpture)
- If you WANT to, include SOME design-based mediums (photography, computer art)
- include mostly art FROM life; examples of linear perspective, depth, correct color and tonal value. Art schools love still lives and figure drawings, even if you find them boring to produce.
- Study for the ACT or SAT and try to graduate with a 3.0 gpa or higher (I had a 3.8). This school cares about liberal arts and study habits.
- Worry about the 3 pencil drawings, but worry about YOUR portfolio more. I saw some CRAPPY pencil drawings my freshman year, and those students were excepted.
Don't apply to this school if you don't like to work. ACT: 29 Female