StudentsReview ™ :: The Rhode Island School of Design - How to Get into Undergraduate RISD

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

(on ACT score alone)
Your Chances at RISD
(on SAT score alone)
Students who got into RISD:

Tips mention: Interview (0), ACT/SAT (4), Grades (6), Sports/Extracurriculars (1), Essay (0)

Jul 12 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
A solid portfolio and decent RISD drawings are key to getting in. SAT scores and grades are not as important.
SAT: 2060 Female
Dec 03 2009Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Focus on your portfolio. I was surprised that I got in, but I spent a lot of time on my portfolio and I spent 1 weekend on my 3 home drawings. Don't worry too much about the drawings, but spend time on your portfolio and show a lot of diversity. Also, care about your grades. They matter! Don't just have academic still life drawings, show what you like to do.
ACT: 29 Female
Mar 08 2009Art & Design Department
To get in we had to do several drawings and of course your grades and your unique style have a lot to do with getting in . They love diversity at this school. Requirement
SAT: 1300 Male
Feb 19 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I transferred into RISD. I did the summer program the summer before my application was due and got good grades, which I'm sure helped. Worry firstly about your portfolio. If you're truly creative, they'll let you in. Some of the most creative students here are not "academic", but I'm sure RISD would prefer the whole package.

Don't submit anime, cartoons, tags, or any other "low art" in your portfolio. Life drawing is good, both academic and stylized. There are 2 good strategies for your portfolio: have a variety of work and technical processes, or focus your portfolio on one technique in depth. Also, make everything look professional. Buy some nice paper for your resume and statement and pick a nice layout and font. It's a design school-- they pay attention to stuff like that.

Good luck!