Feb 19 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc I transferred into RISD. I did the summer program the summer before my application was due and got good grades, which I'm sure helped. Worry firstly about your portfolio. If you're truly creative, they'll let you in. Some of the most creative students here are not "academic", but I'm sure RISD would prefer the whole package.
Don't submit anime, cartoons, tags, or any other "low art" in your portfolio. Life drawing is good, both academic and stylized. There are 2 good strategies for your portfolio: have a variety of work and technical processes, or focus your portfolio on one technique in depth. Also, make everything look professional. Buy some nice paper for your resume and statement and pick a nice layout and font. It's a design school-- they pay attention to stuff like that.
SAT: 1350 Female
Nov 04 2007Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc Read the advice on this website and others. My HS art teacher was very helpful with my portfolio, but if yours isn't keep these things in mind:
- Show VARIETY of traditional mediums (paintings, drawings, etchings, sculpture)
- If you WANT to, include SOME design-based mediums (photography, computer art)
- include mostly art FROM life; examples of linear perspective, depth, correct color and tonal value. Art schools love still lives and figure drawings, even if you find them boring to produce.
- Study for the ACT or SAT and try to graduate with a 3.0 gpa or higher (I had a 3.8). This school cares about liberal arts and study habits.
- Worry about the 3 pencil drawings, but worry about YOUR portfolio more. I saw some CRAPPY pencil drawings my freshman year, and those students were excepted.
Don't apply to this school if you don't like to work.
ACT: 29 Female
May 20 2006Architecture Filled out the application and sent in a portfolio, its not hard to get into.
Impress the professors with your modernist vocabulary and dress in black and they'll welcome you with open arms into their modernist cult, either that or being willing to be brainwashed.
SAT: 1300 Female
Jun 12 2004Other show your best work, get decent slides made. i don't know what the secret is, i never thought i'd get in.
SAT: 1270 Female
Dec 16 2003Art & Design Department Strong academic and extracurricular performance in your HS career, strength in a breadth of the arts.
Disclaimer: StudentsReview makes no claims, promises, or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or
adequacy of the contents of this site, and expressly disclaims liability for errors and omissions in the
contents of this site. Furthermore, StudentsReview is not affiliated with any University or Institution.