StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - How to Get into SCAD (Undergraduate)

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI

47.3%
% Overall
48.7%
Feb 19 2014Art & Design Department
No offense, but I don't know how anyone wouldn't get into this school. Portfolio, SAT's and ACT's are not required. I wouldn't recommend going at all.
ACT: 31 SAT: 1700 Female
Feb 10 2014Other
I didn't do much to get in, actually. I would've assumed that they would need to see a portfolio of some sort, and only the best of the best would be able to get in. Despite that, I applied anyway without providing a portfolio, and received a letter of acceptance about 3-4 months before I was preparing to attend another university. ANYONE can get into SCAD, but not everyone will actually succeed there.
Oct 06 2013Other
Getting in was a surprisingly easy breeze. A portfolio is actually OPTIONAL here, which is strange for an art school. A 4.0 GPA PROBABLY had something to do with me getting a scholarship, but from what I've heard, SCAD will throw money at anyone. If you're looking to come here, do yourself (and your wallet) a BIG favor and take care of your liberal arts and foundations in a community college. You will save a BUTTLOAD of time and money and you'll be able to jump into your department right away.
May 13 2012Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Admittedly, it is a very easy University to get in which can be a good and bad thing. The bad thing: it doesn't filter out talent. The good thing: because of this, it gives every one a chance to succeed.

However, I feel that the effort that you have to put in here is enough that it filters out people who are not interested or does not want to put in the effort to succeed their dreams. It's a test of one's determination.

As it is an expensive school, I would highly recommend you to know what you want to do before actually applying for the school, after all you wouldn't want to waste your money on a bunch of classes that you don't need.

Mar 04 2012Communications
I wrote a paper, had a few letters of recommendation, got good grades in high school, took AP classes and tests and did decently on my ACT. The acceptance rate is fairly high.
Feb 03 2012Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I took the ACT and the SAT but only submitted my ACT scores to SCAD (they were better). When I applied it was 23 or higher on the ACT and you're in scholarship land. I also submitted a portfolio which granted my a combined scholarship award of 15,000 a year.

If you have any art (whether it be a movie you made, a painting, your sketchbook) show it. It doesn't even have to be good, just show them you have the background in it. Show them you love it and they will reward you with money. But keep in mind, that money could disappear with one bad F, so have a back up plan

ACT: 27 Female