StudentsReview :: The Savannah College of Art and Design - How to Get into SCAD/SAD (Undergraduate)

Rhode Island School of Design -- Providence, RI
Ringling School of Art and Design -- Sarasota, FL
Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY

The Savannah College of Art and Design

Students who got into SCAD/SAD:

Tips mention: Interview (2), ACT/SAT (20), Grades (22), Sports/Extracurriculars (4), College Essay (11)
It is a pain is the butt to get into this schoolSep 02 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
It is a pain is the butt to get into this school. I had to call repeatedly about my application. It took me months and months to hear anything back from them. At one point, they even thought that they had lost my application. However, as a transfer student, they were pretty generous with taking most of my credits. If you're transferring in, just be sure to take a basic college algebra course and not something else beyond that description, because SCAD won't accept it.
When I was looking at SCAD I took artAug 26 2008Architecture
When I was looking at SCAD I took art classes in high school and was pretty determined on majoring in Architecture. I submitted a portfolio and would highly recommend it if you are interested in scholarship opportunities. They are not required for admission though. This is helpful if you're from a school with a small art department and little portfolio preparation. Every year, it gets harder to get into SCAD. The school is becoming known for it’s excellence. Some students do get into the school who probably aren’t as motivated as others, but they quickly get weeded out. In order to succeed, you need to put in the effort.
ACT: 32 Female
SCAD went through a period of growth wherein theyJul 27 2008Art & Design Department
SCAD went through a period of growth wherein they did not require students to turn in portfolios, except for scholarship consideration, in order to be considered or accepted. However, SCAD is now requiring you to turn in portfolios once again, which makes getting in tougher.

If you want to get in, I suggest contacting a professor in the department that you want to be a part of. You should be able to contact the school to get in contact with teachers or get their emails. Be sure that this is the school for you; there are lots of reasons not to come here, including issues of crime and poverty in the surrounding city. Submit only your best work in your portfolio - and submit it multiple times if you need to. If the school still offers portfolio scholarships, like they did when I applied, you might get lucky - I was given a 10K scholarship straight out of my first application, and it was upped to 15K the second time I submitted a portfolio.

Try doing the Rising Stars program - it'll give you a good idea of what SCAD and Savannah are really like.

There are parts of Savannah that smell. There are parts that are nice, beautiful and fun. There are tourists. There are lots and LOTS of bars, and one club. Think about these things; take a SCAD tour, but also spend time looking around the city with your family to see what it's really like. Savannah is 'patchy' - there are good and bad patches everywhere in the city. Sometimes good patches aren't actually that bad. The area I live in has run down houses, but very little crime. There's an elementary school nearby.

I wrote a great essay, provided a portfolio thatFeb 29 2008Art & Design Department
I wrote a great essay, provided a portfolio that was professional and well thought out. Good luck!
I sent about 3 different portfolios with my bestFeb 25 2008Art & Design Department
I sent about 3 different portfolios with my best work (im an illustrator), and worked really hard on artists statements, and such. I didnt get much money. I think the scholarships are race, sports and quota based. I know a girl who isnt good in school at all and got a free ride for tennis. It isnt fair. My roommate got three times what I got because she happens to be black. She didnt even send in a portfolio at all.
Compare SCAD/SADSave SCAD/SAD

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→