StudentsReview :: Stanford University - How to Get into Stanford (Undergraduate)

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

5.8%
% Overall
5.7%

Students who got into Stanford:

Tips mention: Interview (0), ACT/SAT (9), Grades (15), Sports/Extracurriculars (16), College Essay (8)
Stanford has the same requirements like other prestigious schoolsAug 27 2013Biology
Stanford has the same requirements like other prestigious schools such as Harvard, Yale, and Princeton. That is not to say if you don't have the perfect 4.0 or 2400 SATS you will not get in, so do not get discouraged because these schools also desire personality and understanding of you as a person. Focus on the extracurricular aspect and strong essays for each school you apply and you just might land a spot.
SAT: 2300 Female
Honestly, I was shocked when I got in to StanfordApr 05 2009Unknown
Honestly, I was shocked when I got in to Stanford. I was rejected from all of the other Ivy League Universities. I got an 33 ACT and an 1850 SAT. My academic GPA is a 4.1 and my unweighted is a 3.9. Extracurricular activities are key. I have run Track and Field since the 5th grade, even though I am far from the best. I play the guitar, perform service, and even went to Harvard Summer School the summer before my junior year. What I think they are looking for at Stanford is how well rounded a student is. I know that I may not even be in the top 20% of my graduating high school class, but I took risks in what classes I took. I filled my Stanford Application out completely honestly, probably because it was the last one I did. They aren't looking for conformity, but instead uniqueness. Answer their questions honestly and you'll be fine!! My best advice would be to be yourself and let that show on your application!!
The school is tight-lipped about its real admission preferences,Jun 05 2008Economics
The school is tight-lipped about its real admission preferences, which is appropriate. But here are a few ideas.

First, you absolutely must have a well-developed interest or capability outside of school academics. It can be in music, sports, community service, entrepreneurship, research, whatever -- but you need to shine at something that's not school. Ordinary nerds aren't welcome.

Second, remember that Stanford's greatest stature lies in...sports! It is higher-ranked in NCAA competition than in academics. If you can bring anything useful to one of Stanford's varsity teams, you can get in as only a pretty good student. A surprising number of the limited slots in the freshman class are filled this way.

Third, like all top schools Stanford admits certain ethnic groups in a greater proportion than the likely qualifications of that part of the applicant pool. Do not be discouraged if you are in a disadvantaged group, as this is one place where that status can help you. The same holds true if you are economically disadvantaged.

Finally, the bad news is for your typical high-achieving non-athlete student from a family where money is not an ongoing concern. Your chances probably aren't that hot unless you are a real star. Stanford gets lots of applications from kids like you. This is where geographic diversity also seems to count. Lots of great high schools in good parts of California, New York etc. get very few kids in. Some of those same kids might get fat letters if they lived in rural Montana or the like.

Take the above for what it's worth, being based on some years of experience in seeing admits and rejects from a limited vantage point. Stanford's still a great place if you can go. But unless you are recruited in some capacity, the odds are you will be going somewhere else if only because you will be bumping heads against so many other smart kids in the application process.
SAT: 1490 Male

I was a pretty straight shooter in high schoolMar 09 2008Chemistry
I was a pretty straight shooter in high school. I got good grades, participated in music and athletics, and volunteered. Although a lot of stanford students are like me, there are many with less 'perfect' records, but that also volunteered in India started a charity, or did some outstanding research in high school. My general feeling is that doing a ll the right things will give you a good chance of admission, but to be sure you need to do something special.
SAT: 1570 Male
Here are my stats for those interestedMar 11 2006Unknown
Here are my stats for those interested.

Spanish male, elite suburban high school (Rockville, MD)

32 ACT
2280 SAT Combined
Straight A's 10th-12th grade (bombed ninth grade, they don't care!)
Varsity athlete (9th-12th)
School Theater, did 3 major roles in different plays
All AP's and honors four last 3 years of HS (6 AP's, 10 Honors)
Education teaching internship
First gen college student
Superb rec's
Excellent autobiography/essay on my mother

Accepted: Brown, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford
Deferred: Caltech, MIT, Brown, Penn

If you are an athlete, apply early decision and contact the coach at Stanford, your almost a sure bet even if your an idiot that's failing. Stanford is highly athletticaly centric and accepts nearly 25% of incoming class purely on athletic merit. Most are morans.

Stanford University