StudentsReview :: The University of California Berkeley - How to Get into Berkeley (Undergraduate)

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

22.7%
% Overall
21.4%
Students who got into Berkeley:

Tips mention: Interview (1), ACT/SAT (25), Grades (33), Sports/Extracurriculars (23), College Essay (12)

Jul 31 2014Mechanical Engineering
Get accepted into an REU the summer prior to applying at UC Berkeley. Get A's in all Required Courses for transfer.
Sep 09 2013Criminal
High grades and SAT scores for Engineering, AP classes
Very difficult and hard to get in now, easier standards for women and minorities, Liberal Arts is a joke (no disrespect, but not technical, not practical, and very opinionated)
SAT: 1400 Male
Jul 28 2012Political Science
I would recommend you that you fill your application saying your parents did not attend college.
Jun 06 2012Economics
My credentials in high school:
GPA: Unweighted 3.7, Weighted 4.4
SAT: 1990
ACT: 31
At the time of my application my extracurricular activities were as follows:
1) Piano: 13 years (With several competition wins)
2) Violin: 8 years
3) Mock Trial: 4 years (With county and state wins)
4) Capital Markets Contest (1st place)
5) Tennis: 13 years (4 years on HS team)
6) Community service: 203 hours

Really it's consistency that counts, but winning competitions doesn't hurt either. I applied to 3 schools: UCLA, UC Berkeley, and Yale. I only got into Cal, so I had no choice but to go here.

For you to get in based on my understanding and what I've witnessed from others at the university:
1) Academics don't hurt to be good, but as I am an example (and I know others as well) you can get in with mediocre grades and a bad SAT/ACT score, so even if you get low SAT/ACT score or have a bad GPA, still apply, you may get in.
2) Extra-curricular activities and consistency are vital. Cal wants to see
A) You are involved in stuff outside school and
B) You are consistent in your outside endeavors.

I got in over other students at my high school who had better grades and better SAT/ACT scores than me. Hope this helps in your application process and your choices in high school.
In the long run, you should understand that SAT/ACT is subjective and does not prove if a student is "smart". Cal admissions is aware of this, and you better show that you can be a beneficial citizen in society.

ACT: 31 SAT: 1990 Male
Jun 05 2012Unknown
hello. MR and ladies. I writing mongolia. I want to stady in your univesity
Mar 01 2012Sociology
AP classes, get a high GPA and a decent SAT score. UC's are pretty basic with just looking at the numbers. Sorry.

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA