StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Illinois Urbana Champaign - How to Get into Undergraduate UIUC

University of Illinois -- Chicago, IL
Northwestern University -- Evanston, IL

The University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

UIUC says:
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers more than 150 degree programs in the eight undergraduate colleges that are open to freshmen. Each college admits students on a competitive basis. When you apply to the University, you must apply to one of the colleges. You must also choose a curriculum or major.

Admission to all of the colleges at the University is selective. The University is fortunate to receive applications from outstanding high school seniors each year, and more than half of the entering freshmen come from the top 10 per cent of their high school classes. Due to the demand for space in all programs, there is rarely an opportunity to be considered for a second choice.
Your Combined ACT score:
Your Math + Verbal SAT:
Your Chances at UIUC
(on ACT score alone)
Your Chances at UIUC
(on SAT score alone)
Students who got into UIUC:

Tips mention: Interview (1), ACT/SAT (48), Grades (48), Sports/Extracurriculars (21), Essay (23)

Mar 12 2014Political Science
I had an A average and a high ACT score, but I came in as an undecided major. I just wrote a really good personal essay and had a couple of informal campus visits with some faculty and students.
ACT: 34 Male
Nov 12 2013Industrial Operations Engineering
Be involved in a couple of organizations, decent gpa, decent act score
ACT: 32 Female
Sep 02 2013Other
I did things that look good on paper, basically. Good grades, taking somewhat difficult classes, and a high ACT/SAT score will greatly contribute to getting into U of I. I feel I'm fairly intelligent, if a bit lazy, so I think I earned my place here (my family definitely has zero pull anywhere in the administration). But please remember, these things mean so little once you start classes. If you thought high school was easy, you're in for a wake up call for college. You actually have to study. For those who found high school difficult, maybe you shouldn't come here, unless you went to a fancy academy with all AP courses.

I do think my essays helped a lot. Don't BS your essays. One of mine asked about a favorite service project or high school group (one of those), and I was very happy to talk about the things I did. If you are involved in even one group or even a sports team, and there are things you did in that group that you enjoyed, talk about it! Communicate on paper how much you loved it! Or maybe if the question involves goals for school, talk about what you want to do. I am very much in love with Japan and Japanese culture, so I know I talked about that for a related question. The essays let them know about you, so tell them what little you can in your 200 or 300 words.

Also, go do a campus visit. Make sure you get to know the campus a little before committing. It's a very large, overwhelming school. You should know ahead of time if that's what you really want out of college, or if you prefer a smaller, closer knit college experience.

ACT: 31 Female
Mar 23 2013Biology
Its not that hard...if you are qualified you are pretty much guaranteed to get in because its a state school. You can look up the average...I had a 29 on my ACT and my grades were alright (3.3 hs) but I was in an obscene amount of AP classes. I did some extracurriculars...nothing fancy. I'd say this university does not care too much about your essay and they really don't care much about your high school extracurriculars. Just do some stuff you really like and get involved in those.
ACT: 29 Female
Feb 14 2013Unknown
I had good grades in high school, good recommendations and pretty good test scores.
ACT: 27 SAT: 1820 Male
Mar 08 2012Undecided
Join clubs/sports/etc early on in life.
ACT: 27 Male