StudentsReview :: The University of North Carolina - Greensboro - How to Get into UNCG-Greensboro (Undergraduate)

Duke University -- Durham, NC

59.3%
% Overall
60.0%

Students who got into UNCG-Greensboro:

Tips mention: Interview (1), ACT/SAT (8), Grades (18), Sports/Extracurriculars (6), College Essay (4)
I'm going to break my comment into categories, becauseDec 01 2011Perfomance Arts
I'm going to break my comment into categories, because I have differing opinions about different aspects of the school.

Dorms: My first semester I lived in North Spencer (the honors college), but I switched to Grogan for my second. North Spencer had nice bathrooms - they were huge - but the room sized varied a lot. My hallmates next door had a room about 3 times the size of mine for the same price. And the in-room sinks were gross. On the other hand, Grogan had smaller rooms and older bathrooms, but the people were so much nicer. In N-Spen, I didn't know most of my hallmates because they all kept their doors closed and were quiet and studying. In Grogan, there were always people in the halls or coming in your room to borrow something at 2 am. Plus, all three high-rises are together, so there's always people sitting on the tables between the buildings. Even though the high-rises are older and outdated, I reccomend them if you want to make friends.

Dining: The food in the dining hall gets really old after the first few weeks (they have the same things, like pasta and burgers, everyday, and you have to wait in line forever for the popular stuff.) However, the sandwich line and the soups are really good and never crowded. If you get sick of the Caf food, there's so many other things to eat - Taco Bell, Bojangles, etc. And Yum Yums is good for ice cream with friends, but it's far from the freshman dorms, so we always took a bus.

Bus System: The campus busses are called Spartan Chariots and they run until like 2 am. The drivers are really chill and will change the radio stations for you, and most won't tell on you at stop points if you're drunk. The HEAT busses are for college students all over the area, and they get you to the train station, the Friendly Center, and Walmart. None of my good friends had a car, but the busses are really convenient.

Classes: The best classes I took were in the music department, which is absolutely amazing. The worst classes were in theatre. The teachers gave us a lot of dumbed down busy work. One theatre teacher's "tests" were to divide us into teams and give us trivia questions. The winning team got a 100 and the losing team got a 95. The honors classes were really good. They only had about 15-20 students, and were mostly read and discuss. I highly reccomend the honors program, but don't live in their dorm.

Theatre Program: This is really major-specific, but it was part of what made me decide to leave the school. As a Theatre Design major, we were required to work on shows. Which sounds obvious, but they overwork their students. Starting three weeks into the school year, I had rehersals every night from 6 pm to midnight or later. On weekends, it was usually noon to about 2 am. Plus classes and homework, I had no energy left and time for sleep or meals. Also, theatre students can't take classes later then 4 pm, so it really limits the classes you can take.

Greensboro: Me and my friends called UNCG "the oasis in the ghetto." Which is rude, but true. The campus is nice and safe and everything, but a few blocks off is sketchy and filled with bums and people like Homeless Ricky (don't ask). There's a lot of places to shop and a mall and restaurants, it's not at all an isolated campus. Also, there's like six colleges in the area, so it's really college student friendly.

Campus: Despite all the construction, the campus is pretty. Right now, the quad is closed, so it's a long walk over to the Rec center and stuff, but most of campus is within a ten minute walk. A lot of the campus buildings are new or renovated. Sullivan Science and Moore Humanities are the best class buildings on campus, especially Sullivan because it's so bright and airy and close to the freshman dorms. The only ugly buildings on campus are the high-rises and the library tower, which looks like some kind of prison and has creepy elevators.

People: It's not really a diverse campus. Most people are education or nursing or business majors from in-state, who go home on the weekends. The music students are usually really cool. Overall, the. Students are usually nice and friendly, but shallow. The people who do stay on the weekend either party and go out or sit in the basement and watch Jersey Shore and do laundry.

Final Opinions/Advice: If you want the "college experience," live in the highrises, stay on the weekends, go to midnight tag and Target trips, explore the 'Boro with friends, and don't take classes too seriously, because they're easy. If you're all about academics, don't come here. If you love football, don't come here, because we don't have it.
SAT: 1960 Female

It isn't a neccesity to have a great GPASep 06 2010Communications
It isn't a neccesity to have a great GPA and great SAT score...really good on one and average on another should be fine. A decent amount of extracurricular activites is a good thing also. I feel like it is a good overall school and it is improving as time goes on.
SAT: 950 Female
Do extracurMar 31 2010Economics
Do extracurricular activities if your grades aren't excellent
SAT: 1100 Male
If you are out of state, work your buttDec 01 2007Biology
If you are out of state, work your butt off in high school because they only accept 10 to 15% of you guys. The average GPA is 3.6 and the acceptance rate is 49% for the school as a whole. I would classify this university as competitive. I am an out of state student and my weighted high school GPA was 4.37. However, GPA isn’t everything; jobs, community service and extracurricular activities are a big plus.
SAT: 2150 Male
Try your bestNov 07 2004Nursing
try your best. I had a 3.75 GPA. Do extracurricular in highschool.
SAT: 1130 Female