StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Virginia - How to Get into Undergraduate UVA

Duke University -- Durham, NC

(on ACT score alone)
Your Chances at UVA
(on SAT score alone)
Students who got into UVA:

Tips mention: Interview (1), ACT/SAT (20), Grades (32), Sports/Extracurriculars (14), Essay (25)

May 17 2013English
I got in with a 1.7 GPA out of high school alongside a subpar 1600 on the SAT. Brilliant, huh?

I know that people look down upon community colleges, but as I tell everyone, hey, it got me into an amazing school! If you didn't do well in high school, don't be discouraged about getting into UVA. I went to a community college for two years and maintained a 3.6 GPA and got in :)

SAT: 1600 Male
Jul 28 2012Political Science
I had almost a 4.0 in high school (I got 1 B) and had a 34 on my ACT. I also was involved in some clubs at school, and had leadership positions in them. Since I was also interested in government, I had some activities pertaining to that, such as Girl's state and being a Congressional Page. I also made sure my essays were proofread by multiple people.

Good luck!

ACT: 34 Female
Jul 19 2012Unknown
It's hard to get in. You need good grades and high SAT scores. Putting all the effort to get in is worth it! Great college, worth every penny!
Apr 04 2012Biology
To get into UVA, you need over a 4.0 (weighted), a decent SAT, lots of extra-curricular activities, etc. Everything on your application needs to be relatively spotless, with a few mishaps (I got in with 2 Cs throughout high school but mostly As otherwise in many challenging classes and TONS of extracurriculars).
ACT: 27 SAT: 1990 Female
Jun 23 2011Economics
GPA should be stellar, close to perfect. Top 10% class rank is requisite. UVa puts more emphasis on GPA than test scores which should be reasonably high (2050+ for in-state, 2150+ for out of state) but not astronomically so. Leadership, recommendations, essays, and accomplishments all seem to count equally. A strong articulated interest in UVa may else help a prospective student.
SAT: 2150 Male
Nov 15 2010Philosophy
Admission is very difficult for out-of-state prospective students, like I was. The school tries to take a holistic approach, but given its size compared to other elite institutions, admissions ultimately comes down to numbers. Lots of AP classes help, I took 10, and shoot for a 2000 sat or 32/33 act. In state admission is much easier, although not a given, especially if you're from northern Virginia, because so many northern Virginians apply.
ACT: 32 SAT: 1990 Male