StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland College Park - How to Get into Undergraduate UMC

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

43.7%
% Overall
44.8%
Students who got into UMC:

Tips mention: Interview (3), ACT/SAT (24), Grades (48), Sports/Extracurriculars (11), Essay (23)

Mar 13 2014Economics
I got 3.3 560 math 500 reading 500 writing. Philanthropy in Africa. Essays were stellar. Held a job at the UPS store for 2 years and highlighted that. Parents are teacher and lawyer both with graduate degrees, they do take into account this because it shows that you are not an at risk person for not graduating if your parents graduated. Went to a high school that has a good reputation with UMD. You're competing with the students at your high school to get into a particular college, so it really depends on how they stack up compared to you. Apply early deadline. Honestly, if you're from Maryland do a favor and do not come here, it is the same thing as high school from our towns. Be different, If you're from the suburbs of DC, look at Towson, its at least a different city/culture than college park being that it is a suburb of baltimore.
SAT: 1540 Male
Oct 24 2013Mechanical Engineering
I was myself. For example, it asked "What's an interesting fact" or something like that and I had recently found out elephants cannot jump. So I put that. So that's my best advice, be yourself. I had not taken calculus yet, and I actually received a call because they were on the fence about accepting me into the engineering department, but they cared enough to call me and talk to me about it. Just show your strengths but don't be afraid to mention your mistakes or weaknesses and what you have learned from them.
Apr 29 2013Natural Resources
UMD has gotten more competitive over the years. Good grades or good athletics are primarily what get you in now.
Jan 10 2013Unknown
It's easy. Part of the reason why this school sucks is because it is so easy.
SAT: 2200 Male
Apr 29 2012Sociology
I was a transfer student from NY. To transfers, I'd say keep a GPA above a 3.2, take a leadership position in an organization, and get personal recommendations from distinguished faculty.
Mar 26 2012Geography and Geosciences
Numbers matter, but I noticed that they really tend to take into account the full picture of who you are. (Gotta give em props for that.) I'm not the least bit cultured so my grades and SAT's alone got me in, but if you're cultured or diverse and have decent grades and SATs to go with it, you'll be golden.
SAT: 2110 Female