StudentsReview :: Georgetown University Business School

Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

very arrogant environment.Business - Management and Administration
very arrogant environment. Never met alumni who were helpful or felt any type of bond. I think one of the overlooked things about a university people should consider is the alumni network. Most Georgetown grads I met would not give one another "the time of day".
GU was great in 1982, I don't knowBrightEconomics
GU was great in 1982, I don't know how it is today but I believe it is of great value. I was an avg kid (Sats 1350/1600) who got lost at GU because I partied too much and focused on relationships with women seeking love instead of education (low self-esteem). I eventually graduated but wasted a lot of money and time. My comment for today's 2014 students is - go visit the campus and town, if you like it you will love the area. The school was challenging academically but not overly difficult if you applied yourself. I had many friends who went to both lesser known colleges and better colleges - Ivies - and the absolute truth is undergraduate degree school reputation only matters for 2-5 years after graduation, then it's 10% important. What you will become as a person long term is about your personal growth over the next 4-8 years - how you take care of yourself (mind, body, spirit) , how you learn to master your emotions, be consistent, learn to deal with pressure, failure and challenges, to think about and try to help others - is what is important. If you are smart enough to get into GU then be sure to take advantage of the very great world it has to offer you - but please realize you will not be successful and happy in life because you go to GU or any college, it is about the personal journey and being the best you can be. The most important thing you ever need to know that they do not teach you at college is two things (1) learn to be humble and genuinely make others feel good about themselves as they interact with you and (2) always give others personally and at work more than they give to you (emotionally, professionally) and don't keep score about it. If you do these two things people will flock to you and your worth will be recognized by employers. Final point to understand: GU (any college) is a tactical asset whereas your personality is the strategic asset you need to focus on. Long term financial reality check: The wealthiest people and friends I know are either long term financial services folks or small business owners, generally speaking. Most of your parents wealthiest friends did not go to college or went to a no name college, so don't get too hung up on names. Best wishes.
Starting Job: Program Manager; Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A
I was really skeptical about attending Georgetown, andBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I was really skeptical about attending Georgetown, and this website was one of the reasons why. Reading about people who thought the student population were unfriendly and arrogant scared me a little, as it should have. Having several other (cheaper) offers from great schools, I was really hesitant when I finally turned in my letter of intent to Georgetown. Now that I'm here, I know I couldn't have made a better decision.

I'm orginally from California, and at least for us, U.S. rankings actually hold some ground. If that applies for anyone, I'd like to state flat out that rankings are really really arbitrary. Most of my friends here at Georgetown were accepted into schools that are ranked higher than Georgetown, but chose not to go to those schools. (Just to throw out some names - Brown, Cornell, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins, Washington in St.Louis, the list goes on...) That being said, the student population here is pretty competitive. Not in a cutthroat kind of way, but going here you have to expect to have some really intelligent kids in your classes that you'll essentially be competing against if there's a curve. At least for me, I've had to work a lot harder than I did in high school (which wasn't very much at all, to be honest) in order to keep up with my academics. At the same time, talking to my friends at UC Berkeley and other public schools in California, I can tell they're working a lot harder on their academics.

Secondly, to address social life. I read a comment just now that complained about how the parties are horrible and sitting alone at meals is usual for them. Yes, the parties are usually crowded and there are the usual hook ups and kegs -- but this is college... I'm pretty sure EVERY college has a similar atmosphere, and if you're looking for the college experience this is part of it. If that scene really doesn't appeal to you, we have M street. If you can acquire a fake ID (which many students do), it's not extremely difficult to get into the bars and clubs. As far as making friends goes, I've never had to eat alone unless I did it by choice. I'm not trying to say I'm a social butterfly in any way; Leo's is practically designed to foster a social eating experience (large round tables).

Next, extra curriculars. This is one of my favorite things about Georgetown - everyone gets involved in something. At a lot of my friend's schools, all they do are classes and social life on the weekends. For us, we have our classes and our parties, but the clubs here are really strong and actually host most of the parties we go to. It definitely makes college more meaningful, at least for me.

I know that college is what you make of it, and everyone's bound to have different experiences. I just really wanted to write this to counter some of the things I read when I was deciding whether or not I wanted to come here. The SFS kids are NOT arrogant and annoying as a body. Obviously you'll come across individuals like that but it's not fair to judge the whole student body by a couple of people. You do NOT have to be Catholic to come here; most of my friends actually aren't. A lot of the stereotypes aren't true. Mostly everyone that I've met here has been really sociable and down to earth. All the professors I have are pretty good, and fair graders. Overall, nothing but love for Georgetown and DC in general. One of the best cities to explore ever -- run a couple of miles and you're on the National Mall. Great views. And also, to back me up, look up Georgetown University in urbandictionary.com and the first definition is great. Best of luck to all deciding and applying - hope this helped.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014