StudentsReview :: The University of Northern Iowa Business School

Extracuriculars
Meeting People
Romance

Undergraduate/Surveys Related to Business School

I chose UNI over several other schools inBrightAccounting
I chose UNI over several other schools in the Midwest and out east - why? because even though I am an Accounting major, I still want a well-rounded liberal arts based education. I have a lot of academic interests, and this curriculum allows me to explore them just like I would at an expensive LAC out east.

I had visited about a dozen universities and LACs all over the country before coming to visit UNI. This campus gives you the feel of an east coast LAC (okay, UNI lacks the Ivy covered walls, but the campus doesn't have that concrete jungle feel that you get at a lot of state schools either). The vibe is more close knit and low key than at a giant state school, which helps the LAC feel.

What really sold me were the amazing faculty and administration. This was the first school I visited where the admissions advisor had clearly done his homework and pointed me in the direction of scholarships and honors programming - I felt like he knew something about me. Administration has been great and I have had nothing but good experiences. My professors all know who I am - I am definitely not just a number here.

Greek life is not really a big thing here, but it is here if you want to get involved. Fraternities are the main party organizers, but for the most part these events are held away from campus at 18 and under bars. There are lots of house parties if you know people. Drinking is as big here as anywhere else, but being in a metropolis of 150,000, a car makes many other options available.

Classes are challenging but there is plenty of help available in the form of departmental tutors and open office hours. There are departmental interest clubs for every major with opportunities to get involved with students with similar career interesets. Basically, if you don't suceed here, it's your own fault.

Girls and guys are pretty good looking here. Football and Basketball games are well attended, and the Cedar Falls/Waterloo regional performing arts center is located on campus. The student board could do a better job bringing bands onto campus (or to the area), but it is not that long a drive to Ames or Iowa City if music is your thing.

UNI has well regarded Business/Accounting and Education programs. Friends in the Education department say that their student teaching matches have been good. The Big Four recruit Accounting majors on campus (they even partner with the Accounting Club on events, meet and greets, service projects, etc. during the year).

I was accepted to UW Madison, SUNY Binghamton, Bates, Kalamazoo, Carleton, U Rochester, Case, and others, but chose UNI because it privided the best of both worlds - large enough to provide good career building opportunities and focused professional development while offering a close knit and nurturing environment with opportunities to explore new ideas.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Preparedness: Reputation:
UNI Rules.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
UNI Rules. I promise you that if you visit our University, you will want to go here too. We have a beautiful campus, great athletics and a great acedemic program. All of the professors are extremely approachable and make themselves available to help you when you need it. UNI is a great school.
1st Year Male -- Class 2006